Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Super[chat]ter

1383941434447

Posts

  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It always amuses me how much people in these [chat] threads look down on 'nerds'.

    B7ozVfx.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    All I've done for three days is stare at a monitor and watch someone steal repeatedly. I'm only halfway through the footage too. My brain is melting.

    The same someone?
    Yeah. We're (we're being me) gathering evidence of every time he took money from a drawer. I'm up to 33 times over the span of 5 days at $20 a pop.

    Ugh, I've done the sitting there part. It sucks.
    I'm lucky, the POS keeps a record of all the transactions he did, and he's consistent, he only steals $20's. So I just scroll through his list of transactions that were paid for with a $20, then check the video against the transaction's timestamp. The crap part is the playback software for our security system, it's awful. Freezes, locks up, won't convert and save the video. I have to re-start it every 3rd or 4th time.

    t Preach - Yeah, calling the police as soon as I'm done cataloguing it all, then confronting him Monday when the owner's back from Germany.

    If you don't mind my asking, what system are you guys using for the video?

  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    I very amused at the idea that there are posers at ren faires that are just doing it to "fit in."

    This has been well documented in social psychology. In the absence of cool people, the next coolest person in the situation will become the coolest person. I think it is called conservation of nerdology or something.
    In the land of the dorks, the man with a Canadian girlfriend is king.

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

    As is spreading ignorance and defending ignorance.

    How is not wearing the proper buttonhook garment spreading or defending ignorance? Jesus ren faires SERIOUS BUSINESS!

  • PasserbyePasserbye The Woman Who Is Not Short at The Moonlite All-Nite Diner; a glass box full of bad food and good people.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Elitism is ridiculous in any format.

    When it's based on hard work and, as Jewcar pointed out, a desire to educate then it's not.

    Do you earn the same amount as, say, the mail boy (if you have one) at your office? No? Why not, you work in the same office, right?

  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Why does it matter, Eldrenn? This is the present, not the past. They're not related.

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It always amuses me how much people in these [chat] threads look down on 'nerds'.
    For my part, I mostly only look down on the ones that are too much like the comic book guy from The Simpsons.

    "Despite all the bitching, if Diablo 3 sucks, I will eat my own cock. Counter-claim: If Diablo 3 does not suck, I will have a list of whiners who need to eat cocks." - Zen Vulgarity
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    All I've done for three days is stare at a monitor and watch someone steal repeatedly. I'm only halfway through the footage too. My brain is melting.

    The same someone?
    Yeah. We're (we're being me) gathering evidence of every time he took money from a drawer. I'm up to 33 times over the span of 5 days at $20 a pop.

    Ugh, I've done the sitting there part. It sucks.
    I'm lucky, the POS keeps a record of all the transactions he did, and he's consistent, he only steals $20's. So I just scroll through his list of transactions that were paid for with a $20, then check the video against the transaction's timestamp. The crap part is the playback software for our security system, it's awful. Freezes, locks up, won't convert and save the video. I have to re-start it every 3rd or 4th time.

    t Preach - Yeah, calling the police as soon as I'm done cataloguing it all, then confronting him Monday when the owner's back from Germany.

    If you don't mind my asking, what system are you guys using for the video?
    These guys - http://www.westec.net/ The hardware is good, and the server software is good, just actually viewing recordings is wonky and awful.

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar QA Tester -> Game Producer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

    As is spreading ignorance and defending ignorance.

    How is not wearing the proper buttonhook garment spreading or defending ignorance? Jesus ren faires SERIOUS BUSINESS!

    Knowledge is serious business yes. Especially since most people have a hard time un-learning false information.

    freefallagentad_zps635a83ed.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As an English major, I am content with Jazzed Up History

    Per3th.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man this must be bizarro chat, I'm defending not looking down on others. Christ.

  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It always amuses me how much people in these [chat] threads look down on 'nerds'.

    ....he said, flicking back his silky long hair and returning to his Blazblue strategy forums with a roll of his eyes.
    Spoiler:

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • PasserbyePasserbye The Woman Who Is Not Short at The Moonlite All-Nite Diner; a glass box full of bad food and good people.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man this must be bizarro chat, I'm defending not looking down on others. Christ.

    So that's why people who put time into their costumes and appreciate them more than those who don't are 'elitist'??

  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It always amuses me how much people in these [chat] threads look down on 'nerds'.

    ....he said, flicking back his silky long hair and returning to his Blazblue strategy forums with a roll of his eyes.
    Spoiler:

    Hey I have short hair now! Geeeeeze.

    ...and god do I ever need all the help I can get as Tager. <3

    B7ozVfx.png
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    See, the thing is that educators don't go on about shit like "I hate CS students who chose that major because they watched Hackers."

    Ignorance isn't offensive unless it's willful ignorance.

    "Despite all the bitching, if Diablo 3 sucks, I will eat my own cock. Counter-claim: If Diablo 3 does not suck, I will have a list of whiners who need to eat cocks." - Zen Vulgarity
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    These guys - http://www.westec.net/ The hardware is good, and the server software is good, just actually viewing recordings is wonky and awful.

    Eh, that's the single most critical bit of functionality. Not good when you fuck that up.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man this must be bizarro chat, I'm defending not looking down on others. Christ.

    So that's why people who put time into their costumes and appreciate them more than those who don't are 'elitist'??

    You can still appreciate your costume while not trying to chase off people who don't. Perhaps taking that time to educate them instead of looking down on them would bring about a better understanding?

    It seems like you look at people who don't know all the same stuff as you as ignorant tools and they should never come to your festival unless they've put in the same amount of effort. Like a no true scottsman falacy its madness.

  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man this must be bizarro chat, I'm defending not looking down on others. Christ.

    So that's why people who put time into their costumes and appreciate them more than those who don't are 'elitist'??
    When it's expressed as "man I hate those people who just put on something that looks 'medieval' and go to the faire," instead of "man I really love the people that do a bunch of research and put a lot of detail into their costumes and personas," then yea, kinda.

    "Despite all the bitching, if Diablo 3 sucks, I will eat my own cock. Counter-claim: If Diablo 3 does not suck, I will have a list of whiners who need to eat cocks." - Zen Vulgarity
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It always amuses me how much people in these [chat] threads look down on 'nerds'.

    ....he said, flicking back his silky long hair and returning to his Blazblue strategy forums with a roll of his eyes.
    Spoiler:

    Hey I have short hair now! Geeeeeze.

    ...and god do I ever need all the help I can get as Tager. <3

    That fucker touched me once and took 3/4ths of my life gauge.

    steam_sig.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar QA Tester -> Game Producer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    See, the thing is that educators don't go on about shit like "I hate CS students who chose that major because they watched Hackers."

    Ignorance isn't offensive unless it's willful ignorance.

    That's not at all the same thing.

    The reason people get into Ren Faires isn't the issue, it's what they do once they get into them, which defeats a major part of their purpose.

    freefallagentad_zps635a83ed.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    man I hate being touched and losing 3/4 of your fluids

    Per3th.jpg
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I always figured Inq had shaggy hair.

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I always figured Inq had shaggy hair.
    He used to but he sold out.

    "Despite all the bitching, if Diablo 3 sucks, I will eat my own cock. Counter-claim: If Diablo 3 does not suck, I will have a list of whiners who need to eat cocks." - Zen Vulgarity
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    See, the thing is that educators don't go on about shit like "I hate CS students who chose that major because they watched Hackers."

    Ignorance isn't offensive unless it's willful ignorance.

    That's not at all the same thing.

    The reason people get into Ren Faires isn't the issue, it's what they do once they get into them, which defeats a major part of their purpose.
    unless you're speaking Middle English and not using antibiotics, renfairs will always be a corruption of the original historical setting, insofar as that term has any meaning

    get over it

    HOW DO YOU FUCK UP BAGELS. YOU BOIL THE WATER. PUT IN THE NOODLES
  • PasserbyePasserbye The Woman Who Is Not Short at The Moonlite All-Nite Diner; a glass box full of bad food and good people.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't say I hate them. They want to fake it to get some of the 'ren fair vibe' going on, whatever. I may not like how little effort they put into it, but I'm not going to chase them off. That said, I am going to ask them about their costume and recommend time periods they could look at, though, especially if they intend on becoming a ren fair regular. If they keep showing up with out having done a little research then yes, I'm going to have a little problem with them. Nothing is more annoying than willful ignorance, especially considering all the resources out there.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I always figured Inq had shaggy hair.
    He used to but he sold out.

    Yeah most of the time I say that selling out is bull. But inq totally sold out.

  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I always figured Inq had shaggy hair.
    He used to but he sold out.

    That's a shame, Colin. :(

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    man I hate being touched and losing 3/4 of your fluids
    ...

    ... ...

  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    man I hate being touched and losing 3/4 of your fluids
    ...

    ... ...

    I just died inside

  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    man I hate being touched and losing 3/4 of your fluids
    ...

    ... ...

    thankfully the bile doesn't go anywhere

    Per3th.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    man I hate being touched and losing 3/4 of your fluids
    ...

    ... ...

    ITT we find out that elendil isn't even a one pump chump.

  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    HAIR!
    Spoiler:

    B7ozVfx.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a lot of bile

    Per3th.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye The Woman Who Is Not Short at The Moonlite All-Nite Diner; a glass box full of bad food and good people.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    HAIR!
    Spoiler:

    Every time I see how short it is I cry a little.

  • IncenjucarIncenjucar QA Tester -> Game Producer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »
    unless you're speaking Middle English and not using antibiotics, renfairs will always be a corruption of the original historical setting, insofar as that term has any meaning

    get over it

    The closer to the truth the better, and the further the worse. I don't expect a reenactment, but though I enjoy them, I am disappointed by the squandering of their potential. So, in short, no.

    freefallagentad_zps635a83ed.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inqi looks like Oscar Wilde with a bad haircut

    Per3th.jpg
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Now I want to go to a ren faire dressed like normal, hang out, get drunk, and just throw a few "thee"s, "thou"s, and "art"s into my sentences every now and then.

    "Despite all the bitching, if Diablo 3 sucks, I will eat my own cock. Counter-claim: If Diablo 3 does not suck, I will have a list of whiners who need to eat cocks." - Zen Vulgarity
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    HAIR!
    Spoiler:

    Aren't you in every csi as the bell boy killer?

This discussion has been closed.