As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ripper: Dante's Inferno meets Murdered Prostitutes

• Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the question is, is the player personally removing the uteri from unsuspecting prostitutes, or are those prostitutes murdered by the demons the player fights

god, I hope it's the first one

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Catherine Eddowes

The left kidney and the major part of the uterus had been removed.
    o_O emot-barf.gif

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    Jack the Ripper killing hookers* for the sake of humanity? I can get behind that.

*Actually they're demons.

For some reason I get a Nightmare Creatures vibe from this.

It's like Frailty.

I love that movie.

Bill Paxton: "I didn't kill her, son, I destroyed her. She was a demon."

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow, just when I thought games couldn't get more visceral, we get Jack the Ripper - Demon Hunter. Compelling stuff!

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the question is, is the player personally removing the uteri from unsuspecting prostitutes, or are those prostitutes murdered by the demons the player fights

god, I hope it's the first one
    "HEY LISTEN!"
    "The demon's weak point is her uterus!"

Couscous on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This would make me a lot happier if it was presented as Jack The Ripper's hurried defense of his actions. Just getting stupider and more obviously false the further along you go.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This would make me a lot happier if it was presented as Jack The Ripper's hurried defense of his actions. Just getting stupider and more obviously false the further along you go.

That would be a Gilles de Rais game.

The H. H. Holmes game would be like that Playstation game where you set up traps that kill people who show up.

Couscous on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think Acclaim should do one even better.

"The year is 1941, a brave reverse vampire hunter Adolf Hitler......... "

anyways here comes potentially the lone unpopular voice

This doesnt sit well with me.. , yea they are making it fiction and yea it happened over a hundred years ago, but shit the guy existed and butchered women, gruesomely. In a hundred years time are they going to look back at Robert Pickton and make a video game about him?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Allforce wrote: »
    This actually sounds pretty cool. I will play it when it comes out and contribute to its success.

Same with Dante's Inferno, it looks like fun.

So :P on everyone else.

It's people like you who make the world a sad and bitter place

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »

This doesnt sit well with me.. , yea they are making it fiction and yea it happened over a hundred years ago, but shit the guy existed and butchered women, gruesomely. In a hundred years time are they going to look back at Robert Pickton and make a video game about him?

I don't think you're the lone unpopular voice. I think most people are creeped out about this.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »

I don't think you're the lone unpopular voice. I think most people are creeped out about this.

My faith in humanity has been.. no well its pretty much the same as it was before the thread but good to see I am not the only person who thinks this is fucked.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Viceral Games: Creating copycat cereal killers since 2009

Cereal_Killer_II_by_tarantulove.jpg

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The last Jack I enjoyed was Simon R. Green's version. Immortal sociopath who could only show affection for a woman by killing her.

He helped the Droods do a great thing, fought demons and wasn't afraid of anything, all that- but he was still an irredeemably horrible creature by the end of the book. Was awesome.

But this game? I dunno. Properly terrible anti heroes are rare.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But seriously, the show Sanctuary has something sort of like this. Jack the Ripper was misunderstood, etc.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So with all this talk of uteri has someone posted that "Your vagina is haunted comic" ?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But seriously, the show Sanctuary has something sort of like this. Jack the Ripper was misunderstood, etc.
    Oh, no I saw that show. He wasn't misunderstood, he was a crazy man who murdered a bunch of prostitutes. They just added that he went crazy because he could teleport. Sanctuary is a really silly show.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It just dawned on me.

This all smells of Dexter.

Fuck.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys, what if we made a game about Charles Mason telepathically possessing people from prison to heroically bring about a race war to save us all? To do this, he kills demons in sewers. Gameplay would be based on Paper Mario, but with bullet time that is always on.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd go more for a Dig-Dug game based on Ed Gein and his vagina necklaces.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Catherine Eddowes

o_O emot-barf.gif
    New marketing slogan for Jack the Ripper: The Demon Chronicles:

"Now that what I call a RADICAL hysterectomy!" *guitar riff*

Graviija on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Viceral Games: Creating copycat cereal killers since 2009

Cereal_Killer_II_by_tarantulove.jpg
    This joke ages like fine wine.

I'm kind of stunned by how fast Visceral went from scrappy underdog to likely complete joke. At least there's a couple of guys that may have spared their integrity by leaving after Dead Space.

Monger on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't forget guys, this is a renegade team. Yeah, these guys went rogue [on EA's payroll] and nobody knows what crazy dangerous stuff they get up to.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't judge a game on its premise!

This could end up being super awesome.

Dante's Inferno as well.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

Dante's Inferno as well.

Daikatana had a fucking awesome premise.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think Dante's Inferno is a stupid idea, and this will probably be just as stupid, but if they made it so you're playing through his eyes and he's completely delusional, that could be interesting. Turning him into a heroic vampire slayer is stupid as hell, but having him think he's a vampire slayer saving humanity as Scotland Yard tries to find him and put him down, I dunno. That could be cool. Maybe.
    Edit: That'll teach me to not read the rest of the thread before posting. :I

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Dante's Inferno as well.

And there you have it, gentlemen

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Dante's Inferno as well.

And there you have it, gentlemen

Sucking it down? Relevant to my interests.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think Dante's Inferno is a stupid idea, and this will probably be just as stupid, but if they made it so you're playing through his eyes and he's completely delusional, that could be interesting. Turning him into a heroic vampire slayer is stupid as hell, but having him think he's a vampire slayer saving humanity as Scotland Yard tries to find him and put him down, I dunno. That could be cool. Maybe.

It's kind of an interesting idea. But I don't see these guys doing something with any measure of subtlety or cleverness. Especially given the "Over the top weapons" and bullet time present in the game. Plus with how Dante's Inferno turned out.

I'm just wondering what popular game they're emulating this time. Dead Space was Resident Evil and Dante's is God of War. This is sounding like Devil May Cry with a Top Hat so far, but it might be something else.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    It'd be better as a Silent Hill rip-off. Except those monsters? They really ain't monsters.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Seriously. You make a grueling psychological horror game like Dead Space, and then you think "How can we best adapt a book about a man wading through hell, seeing the many different tortures man undergoes" and they go "GOD OF WAR! IT'S SOOOO OBVIOUS".

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ... Visceral Games needs to change their names back to EA Redwood Shores. Obviously the new name came right alongside a busload of fucking idiots to run their studio. I really wonder if the guy in charge there is just clicking the 'Random Article' link on wikipedia's main page and just makes a game out of whatever comes up.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damn, I thought this was a thread about the FMV game by Take Two, with Christopher Walken, Burgess Meredith, Karen Allen, John Rhys-Davies, Jimmie Walker, Anna Levine and Paul Giamatti.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripper_%28video_game%29

Yeah, I own this, sealed. lol

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    ... Visceral Games needs to change their names back to EA Redwood Shores. Obviously the new name came right alongside a busload of fucking idiots to run their studio. I really wonder if the guy in charge there is just clicking the 'Random Article' link on wikipedia's main page and just makes a game out of whatever comes up.

I think its fair to say they're just doing what Wii Music did, finding any copyright free material to trade on name recognition and a slight premise already done for them without meetings or whatever since they already know it works, then they just build a game around it without paying any royalties.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh god this is the most wonderfully absurd premise

DAY ONE

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, we're assuming the game will be awful simply because of the premise, despite the fact that this developer only has two awesome games out?

But now they're just horrible?

This game will have to be pretty awesome to deal with this premise, but then again these dudes have made some pretty awesome games so.

Khavall on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Sorenson wrote: »

EDIT: Hold up, JTR removed organs from his victims? Dang, I thought he was just in the stabbing business, now that bit in Animamundi about the Whistler cutting out his victim's organs and lining them up next to the body makes sense.
    Annie Chapman
    Her abdomen was slashed entirely open, and it was later discovered that the uterus had been removed.
    Catherine Eddowes

Mary Jane Kelly (called herself "Marie Jeanette Kelly" after a trip to Paris; nicknamed "Ginger") was killed on Friday 9 November 1888. Her gruesomely mutilated body was discovered shortly after 10:45 a.m., lying on the bed in the single room where she lived at 13 Miller's Court, off Dorset Street, Spitalfields. Her throat had been severed down to the spine, and her abdomen virtually emptied of its organs. Her heart was missing.

One of the interesting things about the JTR case is that is it was one of the first investigations to use crime scene photography; forensics was just starting out. If you go to Jack the Ripper's wikipedia page you can see a pretty disgusting photo of his last and most gruesome murder. It's barely identifiable as a person.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    So, we're assuming the game will be awful simply because of the premise, despite the fact that this developer only has two awesome games out?

But now they're just horrible?

This game will have to be pretty awesome to deal with this premise, but then again these dudes have made some pretty awesome games so.

Well, they made Dead Space and Extraction, yes. But they also made both Godfathers and The Simpsons Game. You'll note that the games they have made based off existing franchises were all mediocre at best.

EDIT: It was gonna be a Gacy game, but then Hitman: Blood Money had that level where you can kill a suburban neighborhood wearing a clown suit and wielding garden shears.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    neophilusneophilus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hear their original idea was a Ted Bundy game but they didn't think it was racy enough.

neophilus on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »

It's kind of an interesting idea. But I don't see these guys doing something with any measure of subtlety or cleverness. Especially given the "Over the top weapons" and bullet time present in the game. Plus with how Dante's Inferno turned out.

No, you're right, I think it almost goes without saying that they're going to fuck it up and it'll have the delicate touch of a jackhammer. I'm a dreamer though! I like to dream. I never played Haze, but I remember before it came out that there was a lot of talk about how they'd play with perception vs reality via the Nectar and how it'd be interesting. If they could do something like that, they might have something. But right now it just seems like a stupid idea of questionable taste.

I mean, I think Dante's Inferno is dumb, but I can see the appeal of going into Hell and fucking shit up. I'm not sure I want to think about the kind of person who says to himself, "I sure do like Jack the Ripper, but gosh, what was it like to be Jack the Ripper?"

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Or maybe the thought process was "hey! We're going to make a bunch of ultra-violent, X-treme games! What implies 'buckets of gore,' but in a semi-classy way?"

Edit: I should point out that if you removed Dante and Jack from their respective games, the plots suddenly become tolerable. It's just the attempts to shoehorn in literary/historical references in there with a sledgehamer suddenly makes them 597% dumber.

And given the classy way they've handled Dante (projectile-shitting demons, woo!), I doubt they'll be any subtler with Saucy Jack. Hell, they'll probably be LESS subtle with him.

Also, listen to Spinal Tap's Saucy Jack already.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293