As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Level Grinding for 5000 hours (Disgaea thread)

13»

• Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Someone mentioned Jeanne d'Arc earlier.

Man that game is fun. The gameplay is smoother than a 13 year old demon girl.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    MathildaMathilda Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really want to try that one game Soul Nomad or whatever, but it's pretty much impossible to find.
    Yeah, it is getting ridiculously hard to find, but it's very much worth it.

Mathilda on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Makai Kingdom is so crazy that I don't know how to classify it, but it has the funniest line in any NIS game ever:
    Alexander wrote:
    Who's the overlord now, bitch?

I've wanted to play Makai Kingdom for ages.

Any game which the main character describes himself as "A Badass Freaking Overlord" has to be amazing

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    D2: Dark Hero Days for PSP is currently owning my life. It's almost strangely relaxing/comforting to have such huge boundaries when it comes to leveling and number-based damage. Disgaea has always been the penultimate SRPG. That is all. :P

and yes, Makai Kingdom is fucking awesome, and anyone who likes the Disgaea series would be a fool to miss out on it. (the main character is a fucking evil hard-covered BOOK, you can't get any better than that.)

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nalouto wrote: »
    D2: Dark Hero Days for PSP is currently owning my life. It's almost strangely relaxing/comforting to have such huge boundaries when it comes to leveling and number-based damage. Disgaea has always been the penultimate SRPG. That is all. :P

and yes, Makai Kingdom is fucking awesome, and anyone who likes the Disgaea series would be a fool to miss out on it. (the main character is a fucking evil hard-covered BOOK, you can't get any better than that.)

So... what's the ultimate SRPG?

penultimate means second greatest

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nalouto wrote: »

So... what's the ultimate SRPG?

penultimate means second greatest
    Puttin' my money on FFT.

Mathilda on
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Playing this on the DS.

Man, about how many and what type of characters should I make?

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    pleinair

unintentional on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mathilda wrote:
    I really want to try that one game Soul Nomad or whatever, but it's pretty much impossible to find.

You mean Soul Nomad and the World Eaters? I saw a copy in my local GameStop. Should I buy it (along with Disgaea)?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mathilda wrote:

You mean Soul Nomad and the World Eaters? I saw a copy in my local GameStop. Should I buy it (along with Disgaea)?

Yes, you should buy it and Disgaea.

Mathilda on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ahahahahahahaha

my brother moved our PS3 to the room with all our exercise equipment
    I am going to grind item world while I run

unintentional on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mathilda wrote:
    Mathilda wrote:

Yes, you should buy it and Disgaea.

I couldn't any Disgaea games. :( But I did get Soul Nomad, along with Alien Hominid and Shadow Hearts From the New World. I almost went with Deus Ex. (It was a buy 2 get 3rd free deal.)

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, apologies if this is bad form, but this is the most recent Disgaea thread.

I just completed the PSP version like, 10 minutes ago - I played the shit out of the PS2 version years back, and I find that handhelds are just best for my gaming style - and got the good ending. I was keeping a save just before the end so that I could do all of the OCD stuff, unlock all the worlds, powerlevel the hell out of stuff in the Cave of Ordeals, unlock all the characters... but I can't for the life of me pass any of the bills in the Dark Assembly to unlock new areas, not even Prinny World.

My initial thoughts on how to cheese the proposals would be to pass lots of OTHER proposals and bribe the crap out of people, but I'm not sure if the attitudes of the senators is consistent between proposals - if I charm one from being opposed in say, a 'More Expensive Items' bill, does that change their base attitude, or is it reset every time? The only way I can see to pass the bills with the attitude modifiers are to make everyone love me BEFORE I start the bill (if my suggested method works), or to beat the crap out of the senators, which I can't do at my level, and I need to pass the proposals to powerlevel to the point where I could beat them up. Arrrgh.

Any tips? Also, Etna mode is going to be EPIC. I can't decide if I want to start from scratch and have her raise a ton of Prinnies as her allies (hardmode), or stick with my levelled characters on a second playthrough without Laharl, Gordon, Jennifer, Thursday and Kurtis.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Honestly, your best bet is to kill them all.

But that's not as hard as it sounds. Get one of the senators on your side(you want someone high level), and throw them onto senators lower level than them. Eventually they'll have levels in the 1000s. Then throw them onto the ones that are likely to kill your group. In the meantime, have your heaviest hitters weed out the weaker links, or ones that are within their reach.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks, cj. That'll go towards the required number of Dark Assembly proposals passed BY FORCE for one of the endings, too.

I didn't realise that you could do that with the Senators, but it makes sense from other throwing experiments I've done in order to level up enemies for powerlevelling.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    god i started a disgaea playthrough again this summer
    and seeing my ps2 when i was home over thanksgiving made me look forward to christmas break so much more so i can play it/waste countless weeks on it again
    makai kingdoms is pretty cool but for some reason i still like disgaea a lot better
    never beat makai kingdoms. i'll probably have to move onto that next since phantom brave is so god damn motherfucking hard compared to other NIS titles

Snork on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is Phantom Brave really considered that much harder? Outside of the Disgaea games themselves it's the only one NIS game I finished. I got sidetracked about 2/3rd's of the way through La Pucelle, Makai Kingdom and Soul Nomad and never ended up finishing them, and with a broken PS2 that may never happen.

Regardless, the system felt more abstract then Disgaea, but it didn't necessarily seem harder.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's not, really, you just have to learn a new system. There's lots of tricks to exploit, like Ash doing double damage before he leaves a map.

I used to think Makai Kingdom was difficult, but I went back to it after learning how to break Disgaea, and it was a cinch. Get that bonus meter as high as you can, and exploit the XP bonuses.

I'm probably the only person crazy enough to want a PS3 for Disgaea 3.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I wanted one, but I wasn't going to pay for it.

Luckily I have shooter-loving brothers!

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I found Makai Kingdom and Phantom Brave easier than Disgaea in all honesty, but I figured out how to make a REAL ULTIMATE WEAPON in PB (Empath Dark Weapon with as much ATK and SPD as possible) that lets Marona wipe whole maps before anything that moves, and Makai Kingdom seemed sorta Disgaea-lite with vehicle/building mechanics.

Also, who's the overlord now, bitch? Makai Kingdom was so tongue in cheek it hurt, in that awesome way.

Then again, Phantom Brave had the insane ability to fuse vegetable and weed attacks onto a character, so they could pick up a friend, create dozens of clones of them to encircle an enemy, and then catch fire and burn them. I called it my 'Many Buddhist Monk Technique'.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    is there a good place to buy disgaea 1 on psp for under $30 besides ebay? gs, amazon and best buy are all out of stock for "new".

zychi on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://product.half.ebay.com/Disgaea-Afternoon-of-Darkness-PlayStation-Portable-2007_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ56286327

edit: I don't think it counts as ebay, even though they're owned by the same people

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    phantom brave is just really rough after the beginning section because you have to play a lot smarter and more responsibly than disgaea. as soon as the game stops going easy on you and enemies take more than like four hits to kill, it's a hard transition
    in disgaea you could essentially just have larharl and like one other person tear the shit out of everything, first-time-through-pokemon-as-an-11-year-old-style
    in phantom brave everyone's gone after like 5 turns, so you best use your shit wisely

Snork on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's not, really, you just have to learn a new system. There's lots of tricks to exploit, like Ash doing double damage before he leaves a map.

I used to think Makai Kingdom was difficult, but I went back to it after learning how to break Disgaea, and it was a cinch. Get that bonus meter as high as you can, and exploit the XP bonuses.

I've played other games on it, and sometimes Blu-ray discs, but Disgaea 3 is the only game I own for the PS3.

I got it this summer, but only recently got going on levelling up stuff (still haven't broken enough pirates to get into LoC, but have some lvl 200 Demolition Swords, and am cloning a bunch of Testaments, and then it's off to the races!)

CowShark on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Snork wrote: »
    in phantom brave everyone's gone after like 5 turns, so you best use your shit wisely

It costs shitloads of mana to fuse the Soldier ability that lets them stay out for 5 extra turns or whatever to your good units, but it's so worth it if you're going down the route of killing the shit out of everything in the entire game-world.

Then again, a good +ATK/+SPD weapon on a starting Marona can total the entire story levels, so... Breaking NIS games is so awesome.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    how are the other disgaea games? i've played disgaea, phantom brave and makai kingdoms, but i keep going back to disgaea because of the setting (and probably because it was the first one i played)
    the later games seem to be about as much of a sequel to disgaea as makai is

Snork on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Disgaea 2 is very enjoyable, and arguably has a better story.

Not as funny, but at least
    it has a happier ending.

Item World is a lot easier to navigate, since they added new stuff like the Prinny Court and the bonus rooms.

And there's twice as much bonus content as there was in D1, if you factor in the Dark World and even more uber bosses. (As if D1 didn't have enough.)

Disgaea 3's plot looks like it's back to crazy territory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iDCwDjAurQ

Mao wants to kill his father, the Overlord, for breaking his PSP.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png