Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Aion] Is Now Completely Free To Play. 3.0 Is Now Live.

2456753

Posts

  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I bought the game on Steam. And it works fine and all, but it doesn't seem to "count" as a steam game. Doesn't show up in played games, and the steam overlay doesn't come up when I hit shift-tab.

    Any ideas how to fix this? I like being able to steam chat while in game.

    edit: though, I should note, it works fine now. Does everyone in Korea have a CRT monitor or something? I had to manually download a config file to get the game to display on my standard resolution monitor, because there's no way to change resolution out of game. One time problem, but seriously, what the hell.

    1208768734831.jpg
  • PsychoishPsychoish Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Ooh, shiny new thread.

    I actually had about half an OP written up and ready to post, but I guess this is fine too.

  • ZeonZeon Registered User
    edited October 2009
    CostanzaK wrote: »
    Sorry guys, but it was his post edit that did it. I can understand asking what the game is like, but to claim to have read reviews and still not know jack... Couple that with the comment about being jaded, the poorly done signature for a band that...well I could write a few paragraphs on that signature alone.

    It was quite obvious that he had no future in Aion and that he was yanking himself around just as much as us. That kind of self delusion is insulting and abhorrent to me. Reminded me of every single thing I dislike about humanity rolled up into a single post edit. And my patience snapped like a pencil at the bottom of a book bag.

    I know I shouldn't have done it. I don't plan on doing it again. But I sure as heck don't regret doing it.

    Youre a cunt, yeah? I get it. Also i think you entirely missed the fucking point of my post in your haste to eagerly dump the sand out of your vagina all over me. *golf clap*

    Listen, not all MMO's are the same. My favorite game, ever, period, hands down, is (was, more than 10 years ago now) UO, which absolutely does and did not follow the standard mold of an MMORPG. Considering this game is almost 15 years old now, i dont think its unreasonable to imagine that again, some day, someone will shake up the MMORPG mold. It doesnt have to be completely different either. It can have levels. It can have grinding. It can have quests. But id like it to have something different at the same time. Compare it to someone saying "Im not a fan of RTS games" before Dawn of War came out. RTS games for at least 15 years prior were basically the same, build a base, build some guys, harvest some resources, and then go kill the other dude. Dawn of War, while similar on the main aspects, had a totally different playstyle which didnt make it feel like a standard RTS game.

    The reason i made my post is because half of the reviews are saying that this game is not like every other MMO but they dont elaborate beyond "its way better than WoW", and one, lone, sole review i could find by a WoW player said "This game is basically WoW with angels". That is not very helpful, and considering there isnt a trial and wont be for some time i imagine, its hard for me to form an opinion without asking for advice. Also considering everyone else with an opinion that wasnt a complete fucking prick about it said "This game is basically WoW", i feel im justified in asking my fucking question considering the scope of the reviews versus actual player opinion. No, i didnt spend 10 hours reading reviews, maybe 30 minutes today during my lunch break at work, because i figured id ask people who are actually going to be playing the game longterm what their opinion was of it, instead of relying on reviews of people who have admittedly put in maybe 15-20 hours total and made it to level 10...

    Now, just because im sick of the standard formula, if there is a compelling reason to play this game, i would. I can physically deal with the prospect of having to level. You need to invest time in MMO's, i get that. But if the main reason to invest time is simply to invest more time (Like WoW with raids), fuck that. If this is the kind of game where you just simply level because the game isnt "fun" unless youre max level, fuck that. If this is the kind of game where you can just jump in and enjoy it for 15 minutes or 6 hours, and have "fun" without it feeling like a second job, ill play it. If theres something cool and compelling (like really well done PvP for example), ill play it.

    Either way im probably gonna crack and buy it by tomorrow because my love/hate for MMO's is pretty strong on the love side.

    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cool it, bros.

    We're all friends here.

  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly this game is the gameplay of WoW style quests, the kinda solid feeling combat of daoc (With their somewhat chains and at least block reactionaries for templars, evasion reactionaries for assassins) and the grinding of L2. It takes most of the best of all 3 of those games, combines it into a fun experience that does everything very very well, but almost nothing new. The "new" part of the game is the aerial combat and you won't even really get into that untill level 25+ which is a solid week of playing for most people.

    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else. Sidaltus Veirn on Sargatanas FFXIV
    Amnesia for Charity: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5
    System Shock 2: Part 1
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, i disslike WoW because it has no character customization, its old, and not particularly pretty. I know that sounds shallow but its art style bothers me a lot and i am a very visual person. This game looks much nicer. I may pick it up tonight...have some questions:

    Are there game time cards like WoW and WAR? Also how active is the PA preseance on it really? And is anyone else just going to be starting out as well who i can hang around with? I hate playing alone to be honest. Unless there are a lot of quests with decent narrative that is, then its not so bad.

    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    MechWarrior Online: Khyber Pryde
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wouldn't feel bad at all about picking up Aion because it looks sexy as fucking hell. I'd already have bought it if I thought my computer would deliver on the graphics, and if I wasn't terrified of getting sucked into a new MMO.

    rodq.jpg
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok scratch that, no stores in my town carry Aion. Guess i wont be playing it.

    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    MechWarrior Online: Khyber Pryde
  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok scratch that, no stores in my town carry Aion. Guess i wont be playing it.


    Sorry if there's a reason you can't use it but have you considered getting it off steam or direct from NcSoft?


    EDIT: ah, saw you asked about time cards these do exist but probably means you dont have a card to do the whole online purchase thing.

    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Steam is in every town
    edit: Twin posting is fucking ace.

    We hit 25 today but i was too tired to finish abyss quest.

    So looking forward to the weekend. Demons souls import should be arriving though so abyss pvp may have to wait.

    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • StupidStupid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zeon wrote: »
    The reason i made my post is because half of the reviews are saying that this game is not like every other MMO but they dont elaborate beyond "its way better than WoW", and one, lone, sole review i could find by a WoW player said "This game is basically WoW with angels".

    To elaborate...

    I've played MMOs since the old Isle of Kesmai days, through AirWarrior, OrbWars, GemStone III, UO, and into the graphical DIKU-MUD era we are currently "stuck" in that started with EQ and continues to this day.

    Aion is your "typical" DIKU-based MMO. It brings one (count it!) innovative thing to the table: flight during PvP combat. Other than that, it is significantly LESS innovative than a half-dozen other "big name" MMOs products. Hell, Sony's Free Realms steps away form the DIKU mold a hell of a ot further than Aion does.

    The initial levels of Aion are incredibly polished and look like true competitor to WoW. The starter area is -extremely- WoW-esque. When you get your wings at level 10, a huge shot of "NIFTY!" is injected into gameplay. When you hit the Krall areas at level 18, you'll see the height and depth of PvE grouping. Past that... gameplay drops off. You'll find yourself eschewing quests and goals in favor of simple grinding XP on a_static_spawn_13965 for hours on end. After what seems like eternity, you make it level 25 and enter the Abyss and... grind some more, this time on a_flying_spawn_9582. All while watching your back for attackers from the other faction(s), who will happily poke you with sharp pointy things until you cry uncle.

    Having said that, the game IS fun to play!

    The crafting system is, in my opinion, the best ever developed. Some people say that LotRO had better crafting, but I disagree. If you don't want to farm materials, you can buy most materials from the Trade Broker for a reasonable price. Rare materials are accordingly more expensive and the prices seem to be fairly dynamic based on supply/demand.

    The PvPvE setup -seems- to be working well and keeping the Abyss reasonably in balance. Forming a small gank-group and roaming in Rashanta has kept me completely occupied for the last several days, to the point where I've basically stopped doing anything BUT that (and crafting for the legion). In the last week, I've literally whooped for joy when landing the killing blow on a tough fight on more than one occasion; one recent fight where I took on two players at once and died simultaneously with the second one was one of the most adrenaline-filled, exciting and compelling battle I've had in an MMO since UO PK vs. Anti- battles in the early 90s.

    Based on what you've written, you may or you may not like Aion. And, as I'm sure you realize, you wont really be able to form a realistic opinion until you've invested a good solid month of casual playtime. Good luck!!

    fss.png
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Outside of the character models themselves, im going to be so bold as to say that in some respects wotlk has better graphics. Aion is visually impressive, but make no mistake, its designed to be run on everything, not just crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers.

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Outside of the character models themselves, im going to be so bold as to say that in some respects wotlk has better graphics. Aion is visually impressive, but make no mistake, its designed to be run on everything, not just crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers.

    :?

    Its acceptable for a 5 year old game, but not even close.

    1208768734831.jpg
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    Ok scratch that, no stores in my town carry Aion. Guess i wont be playing it.


    Sorry if there's a reason you can't use it but have you considered getting it off steam or direct from NcSoft?


    EDIT: ah, saw you asked about time cards these do exist but probably means you dont have a card to do the whole online purchase thing.

    Can't you use paypal for steam? I have no idea, I just figured it would be an option during checkout. Someone probably knows.

    Also; re: time cards, unless NCSoft has changed their policy for Aion, any NCSoft time card, regardless of what game it is labeled for can be used for any of their games. If you can pick up 30day CoX cards, you should be able to apply it to your Aion account. *You should probably do a quick interweb search first though*

    Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Since I broke into the 30s it seems leveling speed has plummeted and grinding is more prevalent. Then I noticed that chart on the last thread showing the quest experience/grinding experience ratio...

    Yeah... I think I'm done. Sorry guys, was fun while it lasted.

    You can go ahead and remove Illiana from Sorcelators

    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since I broke into the 30s it seems leveling speed has plummeted and grinding is more prevalent. Then I noticed that chart on the last thread showing the quest experience/grinding experience ratio...

    Yeah... I think I'm done. Sorry guys, was fun while it lasted.

    You can go ahead and remove Illiana from Sorcelators

    What chart was that?

    The only chart I can think of was the one showing the quest xp increase in the next patch.

    Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
  • RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since I broke into the 30s it seems leveling speed has plummeted and grinding is more prevalent. Then I noticed that chart on the last thread showing the quest experience/grinding experience ratio...

    Yeah... I think I'm done. Sorry guys, was fun while it lasted.

    You can go ahead and remove Illiana from Sorcelators

    I didnt really grind any levels then, maybe one before being high enough for the Fire Temple instance. You could goto Heiron, I believe the quests their start around 30 or so. For grouping theirs the Kaidan mine and then Fire Temple in a level or two. Think I did those along with solo quests until 35-36 and then went to Kaidan HQ which isn't nearly as annoying as the mine before it.

    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
  • StupidStupid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Riqa wrote: »
    Since I broke into the 30s it seems leveling speed has plummeted and grinding is more prevalent. Then I noticed that chart on the last thread showing the quest experience/grinding experience ratio...

    Yeah... I think I'm done. Sorry guys, was fun while it lasted.

    You can go ahead and remove Illiana from Sorcelators

    I didnt really grind any levels then, maybe one before being high enough for the Fire Temple instance. You could goto Heiron, I believe the quests their start around 30 or so. For grouping theirs the Kaidan mine and then Fire Temple in a level or two. Think I did those along with solo quests until 35-36 and then went to Kaidan HQ which isn't nearly as annoying as the mine before it.

    I was done with the quests at level 23. They aren't inspiring, they aren't original and they simply aren't fun. The instanced PvE isn't challenging, just plain vanilla tank-n-spank.

    The saving grace of the game (for me) is the three-dimension PvP combat. The whole concept of swooping out of the sky, attacking and enemy when they aren't watching (no one looks up, I tell you, no one!!) and flying away from their brutalized corpse makes all of the grinding worthwhile (for me). But I'm a bloodthirsty PvP player, who thinks that "real" PvP isn't just gathering up the biggest zerg of people you can find and attacking enemy NPC MOBs.... Your personal mileage may vary.

    fss.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, the fun in any MMO is playing with others.

    Of course, justifying your choice or playing or not playing an MMO is stupid. You don't continue to play something you aren't enjoying. Just saying, I'm having fun playing with my fellow PAers so far. I did go in understanding that the game is from Korea, though.

    1208768734831.jpg
  • ZeonZeon Registered User
    edited October 2009
    I bought it anyway because im an mmo whore. I'll be playing tomorrow.

    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Outside of the character models themselves, im going to be so bold as to say that in some respects wotlk has better graphics. Aion is visually impressive, but make no mistake, its designed to be run on everything, not just crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers.

    :?

    Its acceptable for a 5 year old game, but not even close.

    WOTLK is nothing like the Azroth from opening day, neither is outlands for that matter. WOTLK also employs more visual effects that are considered modern than what ive seen so far of Aion. Just because wow has a cartoonish visual style doesnt mean that tree in crystal song forest isnt high poly with many particle effects. Whens the last time youve played wow on ultra settings?

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since I broke into the 30s it seems leveling speed has plummeted and grinding is more prevalent. Then I noticed that chart on the last thread showing the quest experience/grinding experience ratio...

    Yeah... I think I'm done. Sorry guys, was fun while it lasted.

    You can go ahead and remove Illiana from Sorcelators

    What chart was that?

    The only chart I can think of was the one showing the quest xp increase in the next patch.

    It was a screenshot of an unfinished quest that gave less xp then a single mobkill, I believe.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • PsychoishPsychoish Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    Ok scratch that, no stores in my town carry Aion. Guess i wont be playing it.


    Sorry if there's a reason you can't use it but have you considered getting it off steam or direct from NcSoft?


    EDIT: ah, saw you asked about time cards these do exist but probably means you dont have a card to do the whole online purchase thing.

    Can't you use paypal for steam? I have no idea, I just figured it would be an option during checkout. Someone probably knows.

    Also; re: time cards, unless NCSoft has changed their policy for Aion, any NCSoft time card, regardless of what game it is labeled for can be used for any of their games. If you can pick up 30day CoX cards, you should be able to apply it to your Aion account. *You should probably do a quick interweb search first though*

    I remember reading something on the main site that said NCSoft time cards also work for Aion.

  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Outside of the character models themselves, im going to be so bold as to say that in some respects wotlk has better graphics. Aion is visually impressive, but make no mistake, its designed to be run on everything, not just crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers.

    :?

    Its acceptable for a 5 year old game, but not even close.

    WOTLK is nothing like the Azroth from opening day, neither is outlands for that matter. WOTLK also employs more visual effects that are considered modern than what ive seen so far of Aion. Just because wow has a cartoonish visual style doesnt mean that tree in crystal song forest isnt high poly with many particle effects. Whens the last time youve played wow on ultra settings?

    I've played so much WoW its really not funny. A truly sickening amount. :P

    Not going to smacktalk it because I enjoyed my time playing it, but no, it doesn't really look great in comparison, and WoW's particle effects are notorious for causing FPS issues in some cases while not looking particularly impressive. It looks good for a 5 year old game, sure, but thats about it.

    1208768734831.jpg
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Since I broke into the 30s it seems leveling speed has plummeted and grinding is more prevalent. Then I noticed that chart on the last thread showing the quest experience/grinding experience ratio...

    Yeah... I think I'm done. Sorry guys, was fun while it lasted.

    You can go ahead and remove Illiana from Sorcelators

    What chart was that?

    The only chart I can think of was the one showing the quest xp increase in the next patch.

    It was a screenshot of an unfinished quest that gave less xp then a single mobkill, I believe.

    Oh yeah, that.

    Well, it doesn't mean much, but they are vastly increasing xp per quest in the next big patch. I don't know if that will include fixes for 20+ quests giving level 10 quest xp though.

    I don't have any characters that high yet but I'm hoping by the time I do it's worked out somewhat; though the fact that the game has been out almost a year already doesn't make me think they'll all the sudden up and decide to change the way grinding works.

    Luckily I don't play a whole lot so it'll be some time before I get that far.

    Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Outside of the character models themselves, im going to be so bold as to say that in some respects wotlk has better graphics. Aion is visually impressive, but make no mistake, its designed to be run on everything, not just crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers.

    :?

    Its acceptable for a 5 year old game, but not even close.

    WOTLK is nothing like the Azroth from opening day, neither is outlands for that matter. WOTLK also employs more visual effects that are considered modern than what ive seen so far of Aion. Just because wow has a cartoonish visual style doesnt mean that tree in crystal song forest isnt high poly with many particle effects. Whens the last time youve played wow on ultra settings?

    I've played so much WoW its really not funny. A truly sickening amount. :P

    Not going to smacktalk it because I enjoyed my time playing it, but no, it doesn't really look great in comparison, and WoW's particle effects are notorious for causing FPS issues in some cases while not looking particularly impressive. It looks good for a 5 year old game, sure, but thats about it.

    Guess you didnt really look at tolbas forest much, not very good for a game within 5 years itself.

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Guess you didnt really look at tolbas forest much, not very good for a game within 5 years itself.

    Err...you can not like it as much as you want, but comparing it to WoW....yeah, it looks good.

    1208768734831.jpg
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Guess you didnt really look at tolbas forest much, not very good for a game within 5 years itself.

    Err...you can not like it as much as you want, but comparing it to WoW....yeah, it looks good.

    Who said i didnt like it? Aion is great! But its by no means perfect, and the graphics look good where they have to but there are some staight up nasty areas. WOTLK is polished everywhere. Also wow has multitexturing on the gear as well.

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • wazillawazilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The PvP in this game is pretty awesome. Very dynamic.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there a solo aspect to this game as well? I liked FFXI's atmosphere, but you had to rely on others way too much.

  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Outside of the character models themselves, im going to be so bold as to say that in some respects wotlk has better graphics. Aion is visually impressive, but make no mistake, its designed to be run on everything, not just crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers.

    I think all the smoke from the incredible amount of reefer you must be smoking is blocking your vision. Open your window and try again.

    steam_sig.png
  • CostanzaKCostanzaK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Finger, Disruptor: You are arguing about if the graphics on WoW look dated or not. I am very certain that that is a conversation that will go no where with no ability to prove one or the other as being correct.

    Krathoon: The only reason you would be forced to party up outside of dungeons and the PvP zone (for the sake of mutual survival) would be if you wanted to go into the elite monster garrisons. You can potentially play this game all the way to level 50 solo. Doesn't mean you will, or even want to, but it is possible.

    Zeon: If you wanted any kind of specific information about the game then you should have asked a question a little more detailed than "Is this like other MMOs? Because I dislike playing these MMOs that pretty much define the industry for both America and Korea." You have to admit, you turned yourself into a target for me. And your response detailing your war medal history of online gameplay after the fact does little to bring any shame or remorse to my decision to unload on you.

    That said, I don't want to ruin the gameplay for you. I'll look forward to playing with you and even crafting you some armored goods once you get in. Godspeed.

    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Outside of the character models themselves, im going to be so bold as to say that in some respects wotlk has better graphics. Aion is visually impressive, but make no mistake, its designed to be run on everything, not just crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers.

    I think all the smoke from the incredible amount of reefer you must be smoking is blocking your vision. Open your window and try again.


    Im high on life. Im playing both games at max settings, and my opinion stands.

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Outside of the character models themselves, im going to be so bold as to say that in some respects wotlk has better graphics. Aion is visually impressive, but make no mistake, its designed to be run on everything, not just crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers.

    I think all the smoke from the incredible amount of reefer you must be smoking is blocking your vision. Open your window and try again.


    Im high on life. Im playing both games at max settings, and my opinion stands.

    I also play both games with everything maxed out (except shadows in WoW, no machine on earth can handle those maxed with a reasonable framerate in 25's) and I say you both have merit.

    WoW is distinctly cleaner in its graphical style. It has a style and sticks with it and everything flows very well. The draw distance is great if you can pump it up and you really get a sense of the enormity of the world that you just don't get in Aion. Aion, while having spectacular character/NPC/Enemy models, far far far far beyond what WoW has, is more hit or miss with its world. Some areas are breathtaking and some are just run of the mill completely generic, and some are just straight up bad with horribly stretched textures (20 foot tall blades of grass textures stretched across a hill) and poorly modeled trees. But yeah, then you go to the next subzone and it's absolutely gorgeous.

    Also there's a matter of style that everything in WoW fits in WoW. Everything has a distinct art style that is prevalent throughout the game. You don't have one ultra-realistic character standing beside a cartoony character. However in Aion you see this commonly. I'm not just talking about the amount of variety in the character creator where people can make absurd characters. I mean, occasionally you'll run into an enemy that just doesn't "fit" the game world, that is way too cartoony for the style in the world, or otherwise you'll run into a zone that is that same way where you have these ultra-realistic/detailed Player models in a super goofy cartoon zone.

    So in summary I agree with both of ya'll. While WoW is often derided (unfairly IMO) for being sub-par graphically, it is more overall consistently good, or at least just consistent. Aion has a bizarre dual-personality in its style like there were two, unrelated, art teams making assets and they threw it all together where not everything is up to par of other things in the game, but when it is good oh my lord is it amazing. But when it's bad, it's not "god my eyes" bad, but it can be somewhat jarring to go from a jawdropping area to one that is just bland at best. If the good weren't so good it wouldn't be so noticeable.

    Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Outside of the character models themselves, im going to be so bold as to say that in some respects wotlk has better graphics. Aion is visually impressive, but make no mistake, its designed to be run on everything, not just crysis running, number raping monstrosos computers.

    I think all the smoke from the incredible amount of reefer you must be smoking is blocking your vision. Open your window and try again.


    Im high on life. Im playing both games at max settings, and my opinion stands.

    I also play both games with everything maxed out (except shadows in WoW, no machine on earth can handle those maxed with a reasonable framerate in 25's) and I say you both have merit.

    WoW is distinctly cleaner in its graphical style. It has a style and sticks with it and everything flows very well. The draw distance is great if you can pump it up and you really get a sense of the enormity of the world that you just don't get in Aion. Aion, while having spectacular character/NPC/Enemy models, far far far far beyond what WoW has, is more hit or miss with its world. Some areas are breathtaking and some are just run of the mill completely generic, and some are just straight up bad with horribly stretched textures (20 foot tall blades of grass textures stretched across a hill) and poorly modeled trees. But yeah, then you go to the next subzone and it's absolutely gorgeous.

    Also there's a matter of style that everything in WoW fits in WoW. Everything has a distinct art style that is prevalent throughout the game. You don't have one ultra-realistic character standing beside a cartoony character. However in Aion you see this commonly. I'm not just talking about the amount of variety in the character creator where people can make absurd characters. I mean, occasionally you'll run into an enemy that just doesn't "fit" the game world, that is way too cartoony for the style in the world, or otherwise you'll run into a zone that is that same way where you have these ultra-realistic/detailed Player models in a super goofy cartoon zone.

    So in summary I agree with both of ya'll. While WoW is often derided (unfairly IMO) for being sub-par graphically, it is more overall consistently good, or at least just consistent. Aion has a bizarre dual-personality in its style like there were two, unrelated, art teams making assets and they threw it all together where not everything is up to par of other things in the game, but when it is good oh my lord is it amazing. But when it's bad, it's not "god my eyes" bad, but it can be somewhat jarring to go from a jawdropping area to one that is just bland at best. If the good weren't so good it wouldn't be so noticeable.

    I'm glad you atleast get my point. I need to play more Aion though. I was hoping someone would bring up Aion's awesome animations, water, or sky to counter my argument. The blanket statments are almost repulsve in nature and it really detracts from the community at large. edited for spelling

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    Ok scratch that, no stores in my town carry Aion. Guess i wont be playing it.


    Sorry if there's a reason you can't use it but have you considered getting it off steam or direct from NcSoft?


    EDIT: ah, saw you asked about time cards these do exist but probably means you dont have a card to do the whole online purchase thing.

    I got rid of all my credit cards. I do have acess to a pre-paid mastercard though, which is pretty much the same thing. I just was tired of having credit companies fuck me in the ass every chance they got, so i just cut them all up and waited for their expirey to come though and then didnt renew.

    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    MechWarrior Online: Khyber Pryde
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aions water is nice. Though the screenshots of water in Cataclysm make it look pretty sexy too.

    On the topic of skyboxes, wows are more or less completely non-existent except in Outlands where they have some really really amazing skies. I wish they had stuck with that in WoTLK but I doubt it would have fit as well to have super elaborate skies in Northrend.

    My problem with the skies in Aion are that they're really low rez. The whole columns and seeing the other side of the world could be way more impactful but at least at 1920x1200 they're so blocky and stretched that they just lose a lot of potential. I hope that someday they go back to those assets and really do them justice with higher res images and stuff. I mean, the decals and sky objects are really well done; floating huge creatures to boot; but the sky graphic itself is really subpar IMO.

    Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Aions water is nice. Though the screenshots of water in Cataclysm make it look pretty sexy too.

    On the topic of skyboxes, wows are more or less completely non-existent except in Outlands where they have some really really amazing skies. I wish they had stuck with that in WoTLK but I doubt it would have fit as well to have super elaborate skies in Northrend.

    My problem with the skies in Aion are that they're really low rez. The whole columns and seeing the other side of the world could be way more impactful but at least at 1920x1200 they're so blocky and stretched that they just lose a lot of potential. I hope that someday they go back to those assets and really do them justice with higher res images and stuff. I mean, the decals and sky objects are really well done; floating huge creatures to boot; but the sky graphic itself is really subpar IMO.

    Hellfire penninsula had the coolest sky ever imo. I also dont like some of Aions textures, but since im low level ive been giving it the benefit of the doubt.

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    I'm glad you atleast get my point. I need to play more Aion though. I was hoping someone would bring up Aion's awesome animations, water, or sky to counter my argument. The blanket statments are almost repulsve in nature and it really detracts from the community at large. edited for spelling

    Well, I could just start posting pics of WoW's atrocious textures and 2d objects, but that'd be pretty pointless. The game's old. It doesn't even look bad for the most part, but really.

    WoW is just as hit and miss. For every amazing zone like Hellfire Peninsula and Nagrand, there's a zone like Zangarmarsh or Ashenvale which makes your eyes want to die.

    1208768734831.jpg
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    I'm glad you atleast get my point. I need to play more Aion though. I was hoping someone would bring up Aion's awesome animations, water, or sky to counter my argument. The blanket statments are almost repulsve in nature and it really detracts from the community at large. edited for spelling

    Well, I could just start posting pics of WoW's atrocious textures and 2d objects, but that'd be pretty pointless. The game's old.

    WoW is just as hit and miss. For every amazing zone like Hellfire Peninsula and Nagrand, there's a zone like Zangarmarsh or Ashenvale which makes your eyes want to die.

    I have gigs of screenshots, and sure, comparing azshara or desolace to Aion would back up the claims.

    But if you were to take Dragonblight or Howlng Fjords and compare them to Aion, its a bit harder to make a decision.

    And thats my claim, repectively as far as graphics go, WoW is able to keep up.

    Definately not PC animations though, Aion has the coolest ones ive ever seen. edited for clarity

    Very well, I shall take you to heaven, before I take you to hell.
Sign In or Register to comment.