As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] Is Now Completely Free To Play. 3.0 Is Now Live.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you have a ranger/glad/chanter/2h templar go crit. The knockdowns/stuns are great. If you're an assassin/dw glad/sword/shield templar go attack.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KK.

I keep seeing templars with 2h weapons and I honestly don't get it. They do more damage, sure but attack slower and you lose a lot of shield-related abilities and it just seems counterproductive.

Why didn't they just roll a Glad?

EDIT: Stupid character creation screen keep choosing the wrong voice wtf. I choose basic and it gives me the youth voice. I don't want my mage to sound like a 10 yr old.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I kill much faster with a 2h compared to a sword and shield. Weave your autoattacks in right when you use your abilities, and your dps can be pretty damn good. When i'm in a group, i'm full sword/shield, but when i'm solo or in a duo my extra dps can speed up the leveling process.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KK.

I keep seeing templars with 2h weapons and I honestly don't get it. They do more damage, sure but attack slower and you lose a lot of shield-related abilities and it just seems counterproductive.

I know, I don't get it ethier. Even when I offtank on my Gladiator I keep my 2h because I can do the most with it. Maybe they think they are getting a damage edge out of it?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KK.

There is a time and a place for running 2H as a Temp. When you have a healer and/or are buffed to the eyeballs such that you aren't having nay downtime, sticking with the sword-and-board just doesn't make sense. The DPS output of weaving a 2H is significantly higher than spamming 1H skills. In (small scale) PvP fights, the shield does -nothing- for you... if you're being hit as a Temp in PvP, someone isn't paying attention. (In fortress raids, they may have models turned off to combat lag, so it's more understandable.)

Any (good) Temp will have a 1H hammer and a 2H sword equipped at all times and switch back and forth depending on the situation.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    just out of curiosity; why a hammer and not sword?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    just out of curiosity; why a hammer and not sword?

Short answer: stats

Long answer:

The overall DPS of a sword vs. a Hammer is nearly identical, so for base damage, they are essentially the same. All of the 1H abilities are still usable with a sword or hammer. They use the base damage as a starting point, so again, no advantage to either one for pure damage output. They are essentially the same weapon. (In actuality, hammers do have -slightly- lower overall DPS, but taking Miragent's as an example, it's 144.3 vs 143.3 for sword vs hammer, respectively. That's only about 1/2% difference, one that is eclipsed by other factors.)

You do lose out on 40 points of Crit by going hammer, but with a 1H weapon, all a crit does is add a little extra damage. If you're stacking crit as a 1H user, you might want to rethink that strategy. In any case, 40 points of crit translates into a loss of only 4% chance of critting. Assuming a crit adds 50% damage, that's only a 2% overall loss in average DPS. A lack that can be EASILY made up with food or scroll bonuses or manastones. (Not to mention that it's difficult to rationalize the "average DPS" card when talking about crits, since the whole point of a crit is -burst- DPS.)

On the other hand, you gain more Accuracy and Magical Accuracy and a metric crapton of MBoost.

Accuracy (or Magical Accuracy, depending on class) should be a major concern to all classes. It doesn't matter how hard you hit, when the target dodges, blocks, parries, or evades your attack the damage is either significantly mitigated (block or parry) or completely avoided (dodge or evade). Having a 1,000,000 damage attack is worthless when the opponent dodges it and it does nothing! Then you'll be left with an insta-kill ability on cooldown and wondering what to do. It's much harder to quantify since it depends on the opponent's stats, but the harder the target is, the larger effect your Accuracy will have.

As for MBoost, most of Templar's ranged abilities cue off MBoost, a stat that most Templars don't have much of (and rightly so). For example, both Magic Smash and Divine Justice (Advanced Stigmas) rely on MBoost. The increase in damage output of those two stigma skills is -dramatic- with a high MBoost stat, and they are both ranged skills which makes them even more useful as a fight closer or when the opponent tries to flee.

Also, extendable hammers are a dime a dozen, whereas extentable swords are much harder to find. There are only five (5) extendible swords in the entire game, two of which are level 50 only. But there are that many extendible hammers at level 35 alone! All total, there are 14 extendible hammers available. Having an extra few meters of range may not seem significant, but for a melee class with very few ranged abilites (like the Templar) it is a night and day difference. Remember, the range applies to ALL (weapon based) attacks, including Inescapable Judgment!

And finally, when you enchant a sword it increases the damage of the weapon by +2 (1.4DPS) per level; when you enchant a hammer it increases not only the damage of the weapon by +3 (2.0DPS) per level, but it also adds +10 MBoost for free.

So, yeah, stats.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I see. That's actually really useful.

Thanks!

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Indeed, it was. Now I need to either find a greatsword that does more damage than Inferno, or start dropping +crit stones for accuracy. :/

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So is it worthwhile to do the 2h combine thing, even at low levels for just questing?

I read up on the system when 1.9 hit but it is still moderately confusing as to what it does exactly.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

IQ was over the limit for a Glad. :lol:

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have to either delete my asmos or wait 2 weeks to transfer my characters. Bullshit.

It won't let me transfer because "you have characters of a different faction on this server".

No shit, because you fucking forced them on to my main server.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So is it worthwhile to do the 2h combine thing, even at low levels for just questing?

I read up on the system when 1.9 hit but it is still moderately confusing as to what it does exactly.

I would only do it at 25+, thats when you get blues worth a damn and stuff like that. Make sure you combine Blue+ weapons, because those extra manastone sockets are very useful. Also keep in mind, for two level 25 staves it cost about 235k to combine them. D:

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was extremely saddened to learn that you can't reskin your armor until you're level 30.

You can reskin armor of whatever level you want; but you have to have a level 30 to do it.

I find it mildly funny though, once the servers merged all the sudden on the broker there were a ton of the level 10 white gear you buy in verteron that was reskinned to be like level 50 armor.

Like...why? The armor isn't even good and it's worse than the greens you can find in the starter zone. You'd have to really care about looking cool for those two levels until you can get some level 12 greens and have significantly better equipment.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    The original armor with a cool skin is bind on acquire. You then remodel it onto a non binding item. You then sell that non binding item to someone who wants the skin. They then use that item to remodel their current item into that skin.

edit - I was able to remodel at 20 with my Cleric. They might've changed it.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I really don't understand what you just said.

What armor is bind on acquire? Can't you reskin any armor to any other armor unless it explicitly says you can't? What does binding have to do with it?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    You need the item with the skin you want in your inventory. When you use the item to remodel something else, the item with the skin you want is destroyed.

http://www.aionarmory.com/npc.aspx?id=798048 is an untradeable item you can purchase as an elyos that has an asmodian platemail skin on it. The vendor you buy it from is a rare spawn, showing up only at specific times on specific in-game dates. In order for me to use that, I either have to camp the rare spawn in the middle of an elite mob area, or someone else has to buy it.

If someone else buys it, the armor piece is bound to them. They then buy a level 10 platemail tunic, lets say a hill breastplate. They remodel the hill breastplate to look like the level 30 asmodian platemail. Now they sell that level 10 hill breastplate on the AH, and I can use that as a remodel skin to make whatever platemail breastplate I currently have look like the Defeated Archon's skin.

The end game set piece armor have unique skins on them, and are untradeable items you get from running dungeons. If a templar tunic drops, and the templar doesnt need it, the group can greed roll for it, remodel a level 10 platemail breastplate to look like it, and sell that level 10 breastplate on the auction house so you can remodel whatever current platemail tunic you have to look like the end-game armor set.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, ok. That makes sense.

I just wasn't aware about the asmo thing.

I have seen people selling them in stores and whatnot but never really put together how they even got the skins.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To the two longer explanatory posts, fuck both of you. I now have a major desire to resub for all the wrong reasons.

On that note, is endgame...present? And has the leveling process changed in any way?

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My understanding is that the endgame is all still abyss/pvp style stuff and not "endgame" in the typical MMO raid sense.

And the leveling process hasn't changed in that it's still grindy but they have increased the xp for quests and added in dailys for the 30's and 40's range.

But don't expect a night and day difference. It's still mostly the same game I played in beta and launch.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Followup question about the skinning thing.

Lets say I bought a set of 30 asmo plate skin to use when I get up there to look snazzy.

Can I then use the armor I skinned to skin yet another set of armor? And so on? If I want some persistence to my character and because I'm anal about having matching equipment?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah. Reuse whatever you reskinned to reskin another item.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    K, Cool. That was a good use of my hacker kinah. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just resubbed on a lark because I was bored and man, this game was better before the server merge. But then I liked being able to go more than a minute away from the abyss fortress and do some questing and not run into any elyos who weren't within my level range, as opposed to now where I just die and die and die, over and over and over, every 3 minutes like clockwork. And I hear it's like this on all the servers? Yeah, yeah if you don't want to get ganked, don't go to the pvp areas, but my available pve options are kinda slim.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Arkady wrote: »
    Just resubbed on a lark because I was bored and man, this game was better before the server merge. But then I liked being able to go more than a minute away from the abyss fortress and do some questing and not run into any elyos who weren't within my level range, as opposed to now where I just die and die and die, over and over and over, every 3 minutes like clockwork. And I hear it's like this on all the servers? Yeah, yeah if you don't want to get ganked, don't go to the pvp areas, but my available pve options are kinda slim.

There's only 1 pve zone, and it is only good for grinding harpies. It also has a 20 level gap with no mobs after level 25.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You know, this game has quite possibly the worst pvp out there. I don't think I've ever played another MMO that rewards you for killing a player who has literally no chance of hurting you in return.

I never noticed this back at the beginning, but now it is plainly obvious. I don't think I am going to continue playing a game that encourages the worst sort of douchebaggery, not for its own sake, as in max level players ganking lowbies in other MMOs, but because you actually get points for killing helpless players.

Its too bad, because the character creator is the best.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All the funnier that the whine train ran from WAR to Aion a year or whatever ago because 'better balance!'

Grass is greener yadda yadda.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    All the funnier that the whine train ran from WAR to Aion a year or whatever ago because 'better balance!'

Grass is greener yadda yadda.

Aion is better balanced that WAR. People jumped from WAR because it is a terrible game from the ground up.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not in my experience in the least.

Astale on
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know, this game has quite possibly the worst pvp out there. I don't think I've ever played another MMO that rewards you for killing a player who has literally no chance of hurting you in return.

I never noticed this back at the beginning, but now it is plainly obvious. I don't think I am going to continue playing a game that encourages the worst sort of douchebaggery, not for its own sake, as in max level players ganking lowbies in other MMOs, but because you actually get points for killing helpless players.

Its too bad, because the character creator is the best.

I'm really curious to learn more about how this game "works" in Korea, because I can clearly discern the bones of a pseudo-balanced system underneath all the missteps and poor incentives. True, a level 50 character can curb-stomp a lowbie and get a few AP, but the AP a highly-ranked player stands to lose if they get killed is astronomical. If people were as OCD about working together in large groups as they are about farming lowbies for AP, the whole landscape could change. With different group dynamics, better faction-wide organization, etc., ganking could be the unprofitable, narcissistic passtime of a desperate few instead of standard operating procedure.

Of course, it's equally likely that the pvp dynamics are just as bad there as here. Maybe the K-Aion community is full of legions named <Waiting for GW2>, who knows?

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I liked the tome in WAR. The rest of the game was fairly average. Though I would never have reached the "Kill 100,000 boars" tome thing.

I'm at level 24 with my wife. Getting worried about the Abyss ....

Leinna on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is there some way I'm not seeing to expand your warehouse window?

It'd be nice if it weren't so damn small and you could drag it bigger or longer to see anything past the first few lines. I often forget there are more slots if I scroll down.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Double XP weekend starts Friday. Goes till monday.

All accounts will be reactivated for it.
    http://na.aiononline.com/board/notices/view?articleID=340&page=

I just canceled my account (again) since I haven't played in a week. I wonder if it will turn around and be active again that fast for the weekend.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the tip bro, I've got AION reinstalled on my harddrive waiting till Friday now that my WoW account expired. (That and im tired of raiding the same stupid place every week, might go back for Cata though)

EDIT: Also, is this the first time they're doing this, the whole reactivate everyones account weekend?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I might pop in for the free weekend for a bit, see how things are. I remember getting a e-mail about server merges and whatnot, is that anything to be worried about?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Check out the top of the OP PMAvers regarding the merges. All the info you need should be there and the link.

Also I reactivated my account right after I canceled it because I remembered that they're giving out rewards to characters over the next month if you don't have both factions on one server, and I'm about to get my next vet reward so meh. $15.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    For those interested, here's the schedule for the double XP weekend and reactivation:
    * Siel & Vaizel: Friday, July 30, 8:00am PDT until Monday, August 2, 3:00pm PDT
    * Israphel & Zikel: Friday, July 30, 8:00am EDT until Monday, August 2, 3:00pm EDT
    * Nezekan: Friday, July 30, 8:00am AEST until Monday, August 2nd, 3:00pm EDT

EDIT: for the US and Oceanic servers. I have no clue what the schedule for the Europe ones are. Probably the same just those corresponding time zones.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Just FYI, Double XP and reactivation has started on US and Oceanic servers.

In other news, the free transfers promised after the merges have been put on hold due to problems with them causing server imbalances.

They were intended to be used to make sure folks didn't have characters of both factions on one server; but people have apparently been using it to flee to other servers causing faction imbalances.

I'm not sure what numbers they're looking at because the official server statistics on the main page shows the worst imbalance to be 53/47. Maybe they're taking into account internal numbers of only 50's and only actives? It's hard to know, but they felt it was important to hold off.

They'll announce at a later date when the transfers will be reimplemented and how they're going to avoid imbalances.
    http://na.aiononline.com/board/notices/view?articleID=343&page=

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Probably old news, but... did they really merge servers in a way that deleted characters? I decided to take a look to see if the game had got any better and I was down to 2 characters - throwaways that I used to stake out some names. Guess there's no going back then.
    Dammit, I had full Daevonian.
    Edit: Characters found. Wotz a Vaziel?
    Edited edit: Lol... zero forts?

Madpoet on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Elyos on Vaziel seems to be more content bitching in general chat about how bad they are at that stuff instead of actually doing it.

It's supposedly balanced population now too.

I dunno.

Anyway, afaik characters didn't get deleted. Right after the merge some peoples characters weren't showing up but I thought they got that all cleared up.

The Dude With Herpes on