Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Of TVs and Tuners

BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
IK have a monitor. It is a 42" 1080p Westinghouse monitor. As it is a tuner, instead of a TV, it does not have a TV Tuner built into it. I recently upgraded my cable package to bring my cable TV along with my cable internet. Now I need to buy either a DTV converter box, or a TV Tuner. I missed my chance at getting one of those sweet Gov't coupons for the DTV Box.

What is my best option, which DTV box should I buy?

Burtletoy on


  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Ask your cable company, more than likely they have a free or discounted box that will not only solve your problem by outputting a YPbPr signal (or DVI/HDMI) but might also get you some bonus HD channels.

    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you have a cable box you don't need a converter box, you just hook your cable box to the TV. If you don't have a cable box, then yeah, check with your cable company. I know Comcast at least claimed they'll give converter boxes to customers who need one when I was at a payment center recently.

  • HlubockyHlubocky Registered User
    edited October 2009
    I'm not 100% sure what the government was giving out the coupons for, but I'm pretty sure it only had to do with decoding over-the-air signals. Maybe the signal you get from the cable company can be decoded by the same box, but I thought the built in tuner that handled cable was called QAM, whereas the over-the-air tuner was called ATSC. Either way, you probably need to use the cable company's box to get all of the features (video on demand, etc).

Sign In or Register to comment.