Options

PSP 3000 Scan lines and Sony marketing.

Greg343Greg343 Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
So I'm in the market for a PSP. And I was researching the PSP-3000 scan line issue. You may remember that from fall 2008. Then I came upon this blog which seemed to answer all my questions. But after examining it I've concluded that it was written by a Sony marketing drone. The wording is so incredibly positive.

The blog in question: http://pspscanlines.blogspot.com/ (Dated Oct 3 09)

I also found this amazon review saying that the 3000 still had problems. - http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RHSENHZ56KKEM/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm - It was dated Aug 19 2009.

What do you guys think?

And any of you have an opinion on whether to get a 2000 or 3000?

Greg343 on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a 3000 and can't say that the screen has ever bothered me.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the 3000 screen is interlaced, instead of progressive. what this means is that only half of the lines refresh at a time.

First off, if you care about having a microphone, or outputting a game to a TV that isn't progressive scan itself, then go with the 3000, because the screen isn't THAT big of a deal.

Other than that, how sensitive are your eyes to High-Def details? I'm not talking bragging rights here, I'm talking reality. If some one showed you, say, a 720p image and a 1080i image and didn't tell you which was which, would you know the difference? Even if you can make out some slight differences between a Bluray disc and an upscaled DVD, consider the fact that you're dealing with a much smaller screen here.

Now, the 2000 you can probably get for cheaper than a 3000, and if you want to mod the system, then you HAVE to go 2000, so there are other reasons to go that way. If, however, you really want to go out and buy a brand new 3000 (more difficult to find a 2000 new) but you feel yourself questioning your impulse, then take a good look at just how detail sensitive your eyes are on that small of a screen. Whether or not it make enough of a difference to really matter varries from person to person.

Evander on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I play Disgaea on a PSP 3000 and unless I squint at the screen and look REALLY REALLY hard to the point I'm cross-eyed, I don't notice any scanlines. I've also played movies on my PSP and never noticed anything.

I've come to liken the "OMGPSP3000SCANLINEZ!!!11eleven!!" people to those that insist you can hear better music with gold plated speaker cables.

Akilae on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Akilae wrote: »
    I've come to liken the "OMGPSP3000SCANLINEZ!!!11eleven!!" people to those that insist you can hear better music with gold plated speaker cables.

Better cables DO give you better sound quality with an analog signal (it has more to do with than just whether or not they are gold plated, though.) With a digital signal, though, unless you're running over EXTREME distances, a cable is a cable.

Some people can see the difference between the 2000 and 3000 screen better than others can. That's all it comes down to. For a new owner who is worried about it, the thing to consider is just how sharp their near vision is, and also whether or not they'll honestly care. (Plenty of people are still perfectly happy with interlaced TVs, and we're talking about a much smaller screen.)

Evander on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Haven't noticed this on my PSP 3000. Also, it looks and sounds fine when I hook it up to my 46' Sony Bravia. So, no problems at all, really.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Now, the 2000 you can probably get for cheaper than a 3000, and if you want to mod the system, then you HAVE to go 2000, so there are other reasons to go that way. If, however, you really want to go out and buy a brand new 3000 (more difficult to find a 2000 new) but you feel yourself questioning your impulse, then take a good look at just how detail sensitive your eyes are on that small of a screen. Whether or not it make enough of a difference to really matter varries from person to person.

3000's have been well and truly hacked now.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They are even beginning their runs on the Go, so homebrew isn't really a problem on any PSP anymore

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    NeoElectronautNeoElectronaut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    psp3000_lcd_01.jpg

This makes me want to ditch my 2000 for a 3000.

NeoElectronaut on
    faberbanner.gif
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

By that, do you mean that you can turn them off and they stay hacked?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vegan wrote: »

By that, do you mean that you can turn them off and they stay hacked?

We had this discussion in another thread, but yes.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psp3000_lcd_01.jpg

Whoa is that a 2000-3000 comparison?? Geez it might be time to upgrade the ol' 1000 if that's the case!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    the 3000 screen is interlaced, instead of progressive. what this means is that only half of the lines refresh at a time.
    This is absolutely false. There's no interlacing on the PSP-3000 screen. There are "scan lines", but this is due to how the pixels are microscopically arranged on the PSP-3000's screen. There are horizontal rows of pixels and the blue ones are darker than the green and red rows. Thus, it gives the illusion of scan-lines on certain types of images (mostly lighter colors).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    This is absolutely false. There's no interlacing on the PSP-3000 screen. There are "scan lines", but this is due to how the pixels are microscopically arranged on the PSP-3000's screen. There are horizontal rows of pixels and the blue ones are darker than the green and red rows. Thus, it gives the illusion of scan-lines on certain types of images (mostly lighter colors).

A friend of mine has one of the slim PSPs (I can't remember if it's a 2000 or 3000) and the screen is most definitely interlaced. You can't see it on still images at all, but when things move the interlacing is ridiculously apparent.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »
    psp3000_lcd_01.jpg

Whoa is that a 2000-3000 comparison?? Geez it might be time to upgrade the ol' 1000 if that's the case!

But that picture is terrible because almost all of that is just glare from one of the psps being higher then the other...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SludgeFactorySludgeFactory Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can someone explain to me what exactly is the difference between the 2000 and 3000?

SludgeFactory on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can someone explain to me what exactly is the difference between the 2000 and 3000?

about a thousand

thanks folks, i'll be here all night

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

about a thousand

Lol. Good answer.

Okay, can someone tell me what is different about the 3000's screen when compared to the 2000's screen?

SludgeFactory on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

about a thousand

Lol. Good answer.

Okay, can someone tell me what is different about the 3000's screen when compared to the 2000's screen?

3000's screen is more vibrant, but because of it, the darker blue lines of pixels are more noticeable, giving it a slight scan line appearance on really bright scenes. It also has some anti glare stuff going on, so playing it outside doesn't require you to cramp into awkward positions to get the sun off it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Greg343Greg343 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

about a thousand

Lol. Good answer.

3000's screen is more vibrant, but because of it, the darker blue lines of pixels are more noticeable, giving it a slight scan line appearance on really bright scenes. It also has some anti glare stuff going on, so playing it outside doesn't require you to cramp into awkward positions to get the sun off it.

Here's some photos to back you up:

3000:
    sce13.jpg

2000:
    sce14.jpg
    Those scan lines look pretty bad to me.

I guess I'm leaning towards a 2000.
    Is there anyone here who has had both a 3000 and a 2000 and would choose a 3000?

Greg343 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

really?

last I heard the hack only worked until you turned power off.

I mean, I haven't run any CFW since I upgraded to 1.51, so I'm a bit out of the loop, but that's pretty recent, right?

Evander on
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Or you could hold out until the 4000 releases.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Meh, I've had my 1000 for a while now and love it.

Everytime I hold a 2/3000 they feel so flimsy and light, I like having a bit of heft in the phat.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The 3000 was hacked? When? Where? I need a link!

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    NeoElectronautNeoElectronaut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Greg343 wrote: »

about a thousand

Lol. Good answer.

3000:
    http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20080902/sce13.jpg

2000:
    http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20080902/sce14.jpg

Is there anyone here who has had both a 3000 and a 2000 and would choose a 3000?

I'm leaning towards a 3000 after seeing that.

Tomatoes are red, dammit, not fuchsia.

NeoElectronaut on
    faberbanner.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Greg343 wrote: »

about a thousand

Lol. Good answer.

3000:
    sce13.jpg

2000:
    sce14.jpg

Okay, I can see the difference and the scan lines. Is this something that if Sony were to increase the pixels in the 3000's screen would be rectified? Does that even make sense?

SludgeFactory on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm guessing there is a difference though between watching a still image with large sections of the same colour and moving images in game.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since there is some confusion, let me reiterate: The PSP-3000 has been fully hacked and capable of running CFW and homebrew and loading your games from memory. It is able to survive reboot, and it does not require a Pandora or any battery tricks.

A few quick google searches can bring it up. I'm not sure we're allowed to directly link to sites like that from here though..?

slash000 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

A friend of mine has one of the slim PSPs (I can't remember if it's a 2000 or 3000) and the screen is most definitely interlaced. You can't see it on still images at all, but when things move the interlacing is ridiculously apparent.
    You can see it on still images, as posted above. But on true interlacing, single pixel lines (even anti-aliased ones) will appear to "vibrate" on the screen. Also, still photographs of interlaced images will usually show peculiar artifacts, similar to seeing old CRT TVs onscreen when watching movies. Read the wikipedia entry for more details:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace

Specifically, look at the Interline Twitter section. The PSP doesn't suffer from this.

In any case, the PSP suffers from a different problem:
    http://gizmodo.com/5071355/solved-psp-3000-scan-lines-are-100-hardware-based

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png