As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

c# Arrays and wierd errors

.kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
float[, ,] x = null;
x = new float[4,8,8]; (all the error are on this line)

error CS1519: Invalid token '=' in class, struct, or interface member declaration
error CS0270: Array size cannot be specified in a variable declaration (try initializing with a 'new' expression)
error CS1519: Invalid token ';' in class, struct, or interface member declaration

If I declare it this way float[, ,] x = new float[4,8,8]; I works fine but from what I've found via google if you want to declare array size via a variable(which is what I want to do) you have to do it the way that's giving me the errors.

Any ideas from you programming gurus out there?

.kbf? on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    .kbf? wrote: »
    float[, ,] x = null;
    x = new float[4,8,8]; (all the error are on this line)

error CS1519: Invalid token '=' in class, struct, or interface member declaration
    error CS0270: Array size cannot be specified in a variable declaration (try initializing with a 'new' expression)
    error CS1519: Invalid token ';' in class, struct, or interface member declaration

If I declare it this way float[, ,] x = new float[4,8,8]; I works fine but from what I've found via google if you want to declare array size via a variable(which is what I want to do) you have to do it the way that's giving me the errors.

Any ideas from you programming gurus out there?

First off, there's actually a programming thread in the tech subforum, so you're best off posting the question there.

Second, I don't see why you would have to do that. float[, ,] x = new float[i,j,k]; should work fine. I'm curious to see where you got the advice.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can't do that with primitive arrays in C#. You always have to new it and define the sizes at the same time you declare the variable.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa288453(VS.71).aspx

If you want a variable size container, look at List<T>.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can't do that with primitive arrays in C#. You always have to new it and define the sizes at the same time you declare the variable.

This isn't true. float [,,] is a valid type that can be null, and can be assigned, or used as a parameter. I am confused by the OP, because what he has there is perfectly acceptable C#. I even pasted it into VS2008 and it compiles. Do you have another error in say, the line after what you pasted?

Caswynben on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Caswynben wrote: »

This isn't true. float [,,] is a valid type that can be null, and can be assigned, or used as a parameter. I am confused by the OP, because what he has there is perfectly acceptable C#. I even pasted it into VS2008 and it compiles. Do you have another error in say, the line after what you pasted?

Based on the error, I would guess the OP is actually using the second line outside of any method, something like this:
    public class MyClass
    {
          	 float[, ,] x = null;
             x = new float[4,8,8];

public void MyMethod()
            {
                 Stuff
            }
    }

The direct assignment works because that's the default value you're assigning it. You can't do an assignment for an already declared variable as part of a class definition.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Caswynben wrote: »

Based on the error, I would guess the OP is actually using the second line outside of any method, something like this:
    public class MyClass
    {
          	 float[, ,] x = null;
             x = new float[4,8,8];

public void MyMethod()
            {
                 Stuff
            }
    }

The direct assignment works because that's the default value you're assigning it. You can't do an assignment for an already declared variable as part of a class definition.

That's it!

.kbf? on
This discussion has been closed.