As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 3.5 Discussion] Player's Handbook II Balance

clearsimpleplainclearsimpleplain Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Critical Failures
I know 3.5 is yesterday's news, but I love http://www.d20srd.org/ and Im not a huge fan of some of the 4E rules, so my campaign is still using 3.5.

Moving on: I have a player (Evan) who wants to use spells from other WotC sources of the time, like Complete Arcane. Having never dabbled in the secondary texts, I have no idea what kind of effect this will have on game balance. I allowed Evan to take Lesser Orb of Electricity earlier, a 1st level spell from the same source. He took a Feat (Point Blank Shot) from the original Player's Handbook which enhanced the spell and made it feel, to me, slightly overpowered. I'm not sure if this was just because he was being wise in his choices or if, in fact, the spell is set up so that it can be abused and milked for quite a bit more damage that a player that level could normally do.

Does anyone have any experience in regards to these issues? Will Evan incorporating things from the secondary texts give him an unfair advantage over those who have no desire to look that deep? Would I be better off restricting everyone to using only the core books?

clearsimpleplain on

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can use proper names ya know.

If you only let a single player use stuff from an outside source that wouldn't really be fair but the non-core WotC books are all mixed bags. There is a marked upturn as they progress. In some areas I think these are positive (Reserve Feats for example) but others are so far and away above others (Abjurant Champion) that they redefine the game.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish