As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alcohol on a Plane

Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm flying to chicago with some friends in a week and I'm wondering if it's legal to bring airplane bottles of liquor past security. I'm having trouble finding a straight answer on the .gov site. I'm 21 and was planning to keep them in the required zip lock bag, and the bottles will be under 3 oz of course. Will the security guys rape me immediately when they find my bag of alcohol?

Casual Eddy on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not entirely sure. Check the TSA website and your airline's own restrictions.

I know you can travel with alcohol bottles in your stow-away, but if your mission is to drink them while in-flight that wouldn't really help.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Doubt the TSA would have a specific issue with it, but I have a feeling most carriers have rules against it.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I found it difficult to get a real answer out of that site.

and yes we are hoping to get wasted in-flight

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would call your airline and just say, "Hey, am I allowed to bring alcohol with my carry-on if it's less than 3ozs?"

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Worst they'll do is say, 'No'... and that's a lot better than showing up at the gate and being forced to throw it away.

How long is your flight? You could always just get wasted beforehand.

Chanus on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    except, if you're wasted beforehand, they might not let you on the plane.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    maybe I'm understanding this incorrectly, but does it matter what the airline allows or not? The airline itself isn't checking bags, the TSA is. And the airline won't want me consuming alcohol that I didn't buy from them, so we won't consume it in sight of an airline person.

or do the bag checkers base their decisions on what the airlines allow or do not allow?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If the airline allows it, then the TSA allows it... it's kind of reverse problem solving.

Edit: As in, the airline would not be permitted to allow it if the TSA didn't allow it, and certain airlines indeed do allow it, I just don't know which, or if any of them are American.

Chanus on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Assuming you can even get through security with a large quantity of mini-bottles (not a certain outcome), you are not allowed to serve yourself your own alcohol on planes. You can bring it with you if you're just transporting it (provided it meets all the carry-on restrictions re. liquids), but you are prohibited by federal regulations from pouring your own drink. You can ask the flight attendant to serve it for you, and many will often agree to do so in special circumstances (e.g. on a honeymoon trip, bringing a small bottle of champagne and asking the flight attendant to serve it to you in-flight), though some airlines have a blanket "purchased alcohol only" policy. But 21 year olds looking to get tanked in-flight on mini bottles? Not bloody likely. At best you'll be sternly asked to put it away, middle of the road outcome is you'll have your booze confiscated, worst-case scenario you get your own personal greeting from law enforcement officers upon arrival.

In short, this is a pretty terrible idea from start to finish. I'd recommend either buying your drinks on the plane or confining your drinking to earthbound post-arrival celebrations.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The last time I went home for Christmas I brought back a couple bottles of nice liquor I received as gifts on top of my usual case of local beer I can't get my area. I called the airlines and they were adamant about not being able to bring the liquids on board but I could check them in as baggage.

So I wrapped each bottle really, really well and marked the box FRAGILE.

At the check in counter I was asked, "What's in the box?". I told lady what it was and her response was, "Don't expect it to arrive at your destination."

I guess employee theft of liquor is high at Philly International but my box arrived with no broken bottles.

Saar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Assuming you can even get through security with a large quantity of mini-bottles (not a certain outcome), you are not allowed to serve yourself your own alcohol on planes. You can bring it with you if you're just transporting it (provided it meets all the carry-on restrictions re. liquids), but you are prohibited by federal regulations from pouring your own drink. You can ask the flight attendant to serve it for you, and many will often agree to do so in special circumstances (e.g. on a honeymoon trip, bringing a small bottle of champagne and asking the flight attendant to serve it to you in-flight), though some airlines have a blanket "purchased alcohol only" policy. But 21 year olds looking to get tanked in-flight on mini bottles? Not bloody likely. At best you'll be sternly asked to put it away, middle of the road outcome is you'll have your booze confiscated, worst-case scenario you get your own personal greeting from law enforcement officers upon arrival.

In short, this is a pretty terrible idea from start to finish. I'd recommend either buying your drinks on the plane or confining your drinking to earthbound post-arrival celebrations.

sorry, did you assume we would be drinking it in sight of anyone?

Basically I am wondering this, am I allowed to bring alcohol through security?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Don't do it. These are federal laws that are taken really seriously.

There are additional FARs about what air carriers have to do with drunk people.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    just drink in the airport bar before takeoff

that approach is pretty aces

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

Always worked for me. Except for the time I nearly missed a plane due to one too many martinis. But I digress...

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saar wrote: »
    The last time I went home for Christmas I brought back a couple bottles of nice liquor I received as gifts on top of my usual case of local beer I can't get my area. I called the airlines and they were adamant about not being able to bring the liquids on board but I could check them in as baggage.

So I wrapped each bottle really, really well and marked the box FRAGILE.

At the check in counter I was asked, "What's in the box?". I told lady what it was and her response was, "Don't expect it to arrive at your destination."

I guess employee theft of liquor is high at Philly International but my box arrived with no broken bottles.

That airport is a god forsaken shit pile.

Though it'd probably be stolen at most airports anyway, courtesy of your friendly neighborhood TSA agent. Checked baggage is not only handled by airline employees (under the airport) but 'security checked' by the TSA agents. Airline employees, for the most part, won't go through bags because they don't have time to/not their job.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    o_O

I like forward to your follow-up H&A post entitled "How to get off a no-fly list".

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

Always worked for me. Except for the time I nearly missed a plane due to one too many martinis. But I digress...

It's also a judgement call by the gate agent. If they think you're too drunk they'll either stop you, or they'll think about it and let the flight crew know that there's someone too drunk to fly. Then you get to talk to customer service while they explain to you that you need to sit around a bit before you can get on a plane.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2009

You are a fucking idiot.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.