As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jumping into Robotech

The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Netflix recently put Robotech: Shadow Chronicles the Movie on instant watch and I found it at least somewhat enjoyable. I'm aware of Robotech but I've never sought it out nor have I followed any of the series. I know that there are different time periods dealt with and other such things so I'm hoping that some of you folks out there can guide me a bit as I try to wade into this franchise.

It would of course be easiest if there was a series that followed or preceded the movie I watched with most of the same characters etc. though I'm not aware of one. Failing that what series or section of the series should I watch next?

Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
The LandoStander on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robotech is the original American series (the Japanese version is called Macross), and is a good place to start... though Netflix doesn't have the whole series available, which blows.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is such a weird omission on the part of Netflix. Try your local library or video store, because there are lots of different versions of Robotech on DVD, with various special features. Fortunately, Netflix does have all the available discs for Macross.

Shadow Chronicles had a number of new characters, and some from the later series that comprised Robotech. Weirdly, it didn't prioritize Macross as much as it should have done, but you need to start with Macross regardless. It's by far the best part of the three series that became known as Robotech, and the only essential one. There are a number of direct Macross spinoffs from Japan, but again, the original Macross is the essential one.

Saddler on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    After Robotech, the second series is Southern Cross. It has transforming hovertanks as it's primary mecha as opposed to the transforming fighter jets of Robotech.
    Third up was Robotech: The New Generation. It featured motorcycles that turned into battle armor.

It doesn't look like NetFlix has the second or third series, unless it's under the main Robotech entry.

Personally, I enjoyed reading the novelizations they put out. They seemed to fit together better then the actual television series, and the whole Sentinel series was completed, as opposed to the single pilot episode they managed to put together.

see317 on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What Chanus said. I like Robotech, but I think Mobile Suit Gundam is a bit better. Especially if you're going back to the first series of each franchise.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    It doesn't look like NetFlix has the second or third series, unless it's under the main Robotech entry.

The main Robotech entry appears to actually include:

Vol. 1 - Vol. 6: Robotech
    Vol. 7 - Vol.10: Southern Cross (called "Masters" on there? It's been about two decades, so I'm fuzzy)
    Vol.11 - Vol.14: New Generation

Chanus on
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shadow Chronicles is a new beginning in the series. Nothing else has been created that progresses the story aaaand it looks like the next movie isn't going to be made any time soon.

You can go back and get the DVDs that Chanus lists if you are interested in the Invid and Scott Benard(vol 11 - 14), or Rick Hunter, Skull Squadron, and Zentraedi (vol 1 to 6). The Robotech stuffed based on Macross (1 to 7) is my favorite.

You will want to check out Macross. You can watch Macross Plus on Watch Instantly. There's alot more Marcoss stuff out there too if you get interested.

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

The main Robotech entry appears to actually include:

Vol. 1 - Vol. 6: Robotech
    Vol. 7 - Vol.10: Southern Cross (called "Masters" on there? It's been about two decades, so I'm fuzzy)
    Vol.11 - Vol.14: New Generation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Dimension_Cavalry_Southern_Cross

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah! Cheers.

Chanus on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow! Apparently the Macross and Robotech Masters episodes are now all up on Hulu, as of 2 weeks ago! And YouTube as well!

Macross Saga!

Robotech Masters!

Start with Robotech Macross, then watch Masters. (Nobody will judge you if you only watch Macross)

Saddler on
  • Options
    ZyreZyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wikipedia is your friend. Let me start off by saying I have a very biased opinion as I am a huge fan of Robotech. At the same time I consider Robotech as a whole as an abomination. Carl Macek took three completely unrelated cartoons in the 80's and spliced them together to make Robotech. I could reiterate all the information on the wiki, but I'll save myself the time and just encourage you to read it.

Bottom line is that the original series of Robotech; The Macross Saga is worth watching. The second series (The Robotech Masters) and third series (New Generation) are complete garbage and you should not waste your time. I also encourage you to watch the Japanese version of Macross and not the Carl Macek version - there are HUGE plot holes.

Also you should be aware that there is a hollywood production for a Live Action film chronicalling the Macross Saga for which I have high hopes. It's all there in the wiki.

Zyre on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Check out Macross Plus, it's the best entry in the franchise other than the original series. Unfortunately Netflix only has the first half of the OVA available on Watch Instantly.

Macross Zero is also great, but I'm not if it's been released in the US or not. The OVA serves as a prequel for the original series.

You don't have to watch the series to enjoy or follow either of the mentioned OVA's.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zyre wrote: »
    Wikipedia is your friend. Let me start off by saying I have a very biased opinion as I am a huge fan of Robotech. At the same time I consider Robotech as a whole as an abomination. Carl Macek took three completely unrelated cartoons in the 80's and spliced them together to make Robotech. I could reiterate all the information on the wiki, but I'll save myself the time and just encourage you to read it.

Bottom line is that the original series of Robotech; The Macross Saga is worth watching. The second series (The Robotech Masters) and third series (New Generation) are complete garbage and you should not waste your time. I also encourage you to watch the Japanese version of Macross and not the Carl Macek version - there are HUGE plot holes.

Also you should be aware that there is a hollywood production for a Live Action film chronicalling the Macross Saga for which I have high hopes. It's all there in the wiki.

I liked the New Generation stuff back in the day, although I found Masters horrifically unwatchable. I wasn't so found of Macross, personally, as the kissy/music stuff was my least favorite part of Robotech, and it was even more prominent in Macross. I kind of liked protoculture as a magic energy source better than the alternative.

What I saw of the other Macross cartoons didn't do anything for me, either. I think I saw one that was all guitars and rockstars everywhere, and another that was about the rivalry of two test pilots who were both giant douchebags and I ended up rooting for Earth to lose.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I think I saw one that was all guitars and rockstars everywhere

You mean the one with valkyries controlled by guitars and the big bad is vulnerable to the power of rock?

As for the latest entry in the series, I enjoyed Macross Frontier. If you've seen the other Macross series you'll also find a lot of references to them, including an entire episode this is one huge shoutout to Zero, Ozma (Skull squadron captain) names attack formations/patterns after Fire Bomber songs, pineapple salad "haunts" one of the cast members, someone who looks practically identical to Breetai present. The music is also <3

EDIT: Ignore the subtitle clusterfuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnOws0VLg6k

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I think I saw one that was all guitars and rockstars everywhere, and another that was about the rivalry of two test pilots who were both giant douchebags and I ended up rooting for Earth to lose.

Okay, being a huge Robotech and Macross nerd I'm going to have to respond. That's Macross 7. I saw every episode over the span of 4 days back in 1999, including whatever was available of Macross 7: Dynamite (the sequel).

It sucks. Except for Veffidas the drummer.

The second series you reference is Macross Plus. That, on the other hand, is beyond phenomenal. I think it's just as good as the original series.

BTW, OP, I would watch Macross versus Robotech, personally, mostly because Minmay's songs are far more tolerable in Japanese. They aren't really any better, but at least in Japanese you can sort of tune out the asinine lyrics (here's a sample: "to be in love must be the sweetest feeling that a girl can feel." Yeah, exactly)

Fun side note, there used to be a comment on the "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" Wiki page referencing a Minmay song...that was me vandalizing the page. I think it was eventually removed after a year.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Check out Macross Plus, it's the best entry in the franchise other than the original series.

I really really love this movie, though it's not so much of a Robotech movie as it just uses the universe as a backdrop for a good story. It covers almost nothing of the overall wars. It's terrific, don't get me wrong, it just could have been set in almost any world and it wouldn't have deeply impacted the movie.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I bought the original, un Robotech-ized, versions of Southern Cross and Mospeada out of curiousity.

They are just as bad, if not worse, in their original forms.

At least the DVD sets were cheap.

Your best bet is just to watch the various Macross series.

juice for jesus on