As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Printer sharing is hard

langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to share a printer on my home network. Here's my setup:

I have a PC with a printer connected via USB. The PC is running Windows 7 Professional.

I have a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

Both of the computers are connected to the same router.

I would like to be able to print from the MacBook, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to do it. Is it really difficult or am I just dense?

langfor6 on

• Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    sharing across a multiplatform network is really difficult, especially with two new OS's

I have enough trouble sorting out printer sharing across XP installs; I hope someone with more knowledge can help ya out

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are very few printers that work nice networked to both macs and pcs. I ended up using a dedicated print server the last time I had to set it up that way.

What's the printer, by the way? It makes a ton of difference.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    blackranger3dblackranger3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are very few printers that work nice networked to both macs and pcs. I ended up using a dedicated print server the last time I had to set it up that way.

What's the printer, by the way? It makes a ton of difference.

Xenogears speaks the truth, a print server is the key IMHO.

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The printer is a Canon Pixma MP480.

So far all I've been able to do is ping the Windows box from the Mac.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Try working with Apple's Bonjour. You'll need to install it on your PC, but it should already be installed on Mac. It was designed to make this kind of thing easier, so give it a try.

http://www.apple.com/support/bonjour/

Zoolander on