As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Natri's Renewed Drawing Thread. Also painting these days. [nsfw]

NatriNatri Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys,

You probably don't remember me, since it's been a while since I posted here, but now I am back on track. I started art school last month and will be posting my drawings here. The art in this thread will be mainly about people, anatomy and the occasional animation, though I hope to throw in some backgrounds too.
I have to make at least 5 drawings a week on my own time, so if you see me posting less than that, you have my permission to trashtalk my ass back to the drawing table.

fac-model2.jpg

ritsmodel3.jpg

ritsmodel1.jpg

ritsmodel2.jpg

metroschets.jpg

So far for the first batch o' drawings, I hope you like them!

www.instagram.com/ceneven
Natri on

• KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    From a construction stand point these look to be heading in the right direction but you are aware of how extreme some of your exaggerations are? These are very cartoony, not that theres any problem with that just that you should be aware of it. Diggin the metro drawings.

Kendeathwalker on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hadn't really thought about it until you said it, but you do have a point there. I'm going to try some different techniques and lines over the following weeks, try and find the one that comes most natural to me. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Natri on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The top guy in the first picture looks a little stiff. If you used a reference it might technically be right, but it could stand to use a little more fluidity.

However, the two below him look great. They look like they're lining up for some kind of epic high five.

Metalbourne on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    woah natri!
    the improvement in you is unreal!
    really great work duder, keep it up!

beavotron on
  • Otto GermainOtto Germain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really dig the cartoony look... but I still remember zany college professors ripping up drawings in figure drawing class because they were too "cartoony". You must have a forgiving one!

Otto Germain on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it depends on the prof
    mine doesn't seem to care.

beavotron on
    edited October 2009
    Well, it was my first model drawing class for this teacher, I had the impression she wasn't being very critical with me. But I'll try something different this week and make it more realistic.

Metalbourne, it was indeed a reffed drawing, you're right about the stiffness. I still have a lot to learn about dynamic poses and bringing life into my drawings.

It's funny how certain things can slip past you unnoticed until somebody says it, and then you're like "woah that is so obvious, how come I didn't see that".

Natri on
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really like the sense of movement in your female nudes. They're exaggerated, but in a way that feels very conscious and stylish to me. Very good sense of "weight" and...maybe "softness" in the first girl.

iglidante on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    kickin' curves. your ladies get my approval. please pass that approval onto your model.

"some guy on the internet said you had kickin' curves."

"oh, really, was it manon? hawt."

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited October 2009
    Thank you, iglidante, I'm glad you like it!

Manon, the word has been spread! That model really is a beautiful girl.

I have to upload the rest later today, but here is last week's first page of drawings:

Hands!
    handen10001.jpg

Natri on
    edited October 2009
    And the other drawings:

schetsenweek440001.jpg

rootytoottoot0001.jpg

Rooty Toot Toot must be one of the most awesome animated shorts I have ever seen.

Natri on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This stuff is lovely. Nice work. It's really refreshing to see such confident, loose strokes. Keep it up!

Grenn on
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've got to say, I really like the way you draw women. That girl on the bottom right is fine by me.

iglidante on
    edited November 2009
    Thank you guys!

I know I said I'd try the realistic approach, but last week's model didn't show up so I haven't had any model drawing. I'm still going to try it out in the future though.
    So these are just some random drawings based on tabloid headlines and soccer magazines. I'm not very happy with them, but posting them anyway:

bolt0001.jpg

sketchesweek45.jpg

watercolours0001.jpg

Natri on
    edited November 2009
    I've been ill all week and drawing's been unkind to me, but now I'm feeling better and ready to continue.

I only just saw the new contest about redesigning, here's what I have so far:

the new (wip):

atlass.jpg

the old:

greeksketch.jpg

Natri on
    edited November 2009
    make that sphere larger. it looks like a beach ball.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    NSFW :(

Awk on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh my dear sweet lord, it's Rooty Toot Toot!

Somebody else has actually seen that cartoon! Holy moly!

Godfather on
    edited May 2012
    Oh man, I'm sorry Awk, that really should've been in the title.

Manon, I'm taking your advice and making it a lot bigger.

Godfather: Rooty toot toot is awesome indeed!

Now for something completely unrelated, some sketches:

rood.jpg

schetsenweek46-2.jpg

Natri on
    edited November 2009
    Had to get a new sketchbook, so I got myself a moleskine, never had one of those before, but I like it :

Here's the first sketch in it:

moleskine1.jpg

Based on advertising here in Belgium about doing something against pollution.

edit: my usual uploadsite is down so I copied it from blogspot, but this appears to be just a thumbnail :( I'll put a better version on as soon as I can upload again.

Natri on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like this thread.

It's got charm I guess? I dunno.

Whatever you're doing, please keep it up! It's a lot of fun to watch.

Your next cartooning assignment!

http://www.tlcthai.com/clip.php?id=18M1195991934M0

Godfather on
    edited December 2009
    oh boy, it's been ages... so far for my regular updates :/
    I now have a bunch of new drawings to show you guys though:

Last week I went to the Brussels Museum of Natural History, sketched myself some dinos and other wicked creatures.

dinomuseum.jpg

dinosnelschets2.jpg

dierenmuseum2.jpg

dierenmuseum.jpg

Then I have some 5 minute sketches from my classmates who posed for us because the live model didn't show up. (I hate it when that happens)

flornel.jpg

rits-a.jpg

sil.jpg

And lastly for this post, a wip illustration about a mother "multitasking" between feeding her two sons, a beauty mask and getting the paper.

illu-multitasking.jpg

no wait, lastly will be this extremely crappy watercolour sketch:

utwaterverf.jpg

I am posting this as a reminder to self that I really need to start practicing colour!

As always, comments and criticism is what keeps this baby going.

Natri on
  • valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    illu-multitasking.jpg

If this is a WIP, I'd be glad to give you a few crits! :)

Firstly, the arm on the right looks slightly detached from the mother. It's coming out at a funny angle. I don't think it'd be to hard to fix at this stage, definitely try doing something before taking it to color.

Additionally, the way the legs are posed isn't especially convincing. Maybe it's because there are babies in front of her pelvis but it's hard to tell how they connect/relate to the rest of the body. The head is also a little bit big. Overall there seems to be a disconnect between the limbs and the mother. Maybe it's because there are babies in the way.

Is there any chance you could get a friend to assume this pose for you? It would help you out loads, I'm sure!!

Good luck, I'm looking forward to the finished piece. The rest of your sketches are looking pretty sharp, I gotta say. You have a good eye for observation.

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
    edited December 2009
    Thank you for the pointers, valeryce! Taking your comments into consideration, I decided to just do a quick redraw from scratch. I didn't have much time to draw today so it's still very rough, but my main concern at this stage is getting the pose and proportions right.

illu-wip2.jpg

Better?

Natri on
    edited December 2009
    Huzzah, some ladies:

girls016.jpg

girls017.jpg

girls018.jpg

girls019.jpg

girls020.jpg

girls021.jpg

girls022.jpg

Natri on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mucho sexiness Nat, these are really lovely.

Mustang on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You definitely have the flirty/playful poses down pat. Which is all that really matters when drawing women, IMO. That and the "Get in the kitchen and cook some shit" pose.

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
    edited December 2009
    your cheekbones are tim curry strong on most of these though.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Mustang, Mes3!
    Manon, you're right, I'll keep that in mind, the cheekbones are too defined.

Some doodles, I'm trying to incorporate color into my work, since that is imo my absolute weak point:

07012010-busdude.jpg

arlecchino-v001.jpg

04012010-fillion.jpg

The doodles above were done very quickly, in like 10 minutes or so, but next week I'm going to put some more effort into it and do acrylics and/or watercolours.

01012010-xmas.jpg

Man, seeing all these progress things other people posted here makes me really sad when I look at my own artwork from 2 or 3 years ago. It's like I haven't improved shit. Sometimes even looks like I have unlearned things.

Though I'm definitely motivated to try and make this year count for some serious improvement.

Natri on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Natri, I'm really impressed with your grasp of the female form!
    Just keep at it, and after awhile you'll have a lot of improvement to show for!

Nic on
    edited January 2010
    Thank you Nic, I'm glad you like them!

some doodling during class:

11012010-marnix.jpg

and some lines:

10012010-lines.jpg

Natri on
    edited January 2010
    Alright, as one of my resolutions for this year is colour, I'm finally tackling this beast that's been laughing at my colourless work for so long.

An acrylic painting, reference included:

13012010-acryl.jpg

What is the best way to get crisp and sharp lines using a brush and acrylics? A friend of mine said to use masking tape, but there has to be a more efficient way...right? :? It all feels so smudgy and dirty now, like I'm using a round brush in photoshop without the eraser tool.
    I have so much to learn about painting, I just went in and followed my gut on this thing. I ended up having to remix the same colour 5 times over because I kept switching from here to there in the painting.

So any tips, comments/criticism are not only appreciated but obviously very much needed.

Natri on
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Don't shy away from the dark shadows in your reference. Those would really help give your piece more punch.
    To get sharp lines, just use flat edged brushes, thick opaque color (don't water it down), and place your colors with the end of the brush. Start big, and work your way down to the smallest.

PS - you really shouldn't water down your acrylics too much (not saying whether you were or not, just making my last point clearer) anyway, but it is necessary to get a little more movement to your brush strokes.

Lalilulelo on
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the tips, Lalilulelo! I'm making another one today, hopefully the outcome will be a little bit better.

Natri on
    edited January 2010
    I tried some watercolours today, I like working with this so much better than acrylics, I guess this feels more like drawing to me. Next time I'll have to remember totake paper that's actually suited for it...

16012010-haiti.jpg

17012010-haiiti.jpg

what d'you think?

Natri on
    edited January 2010
    quick watercolour sketch of a statuette in one of Brussels' museums:

20012010-jubelpark.jpg

Natri on
    edited February 2010
    Might as well post some of my daily doodles in here:

0102-memories.jpg

0302-acrylbg.jpg

0402-decor.jpg

0502-cnoir.jpg

0602-crimen.jpg

0702-abstract.jpg

Natri on
    edited February 2010
    some doodles while watching the latest lost :

1802-lost.jpg

Natri on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I always thought television was a great tool for drawing. At least you got some solid stuff down, I have trouble capturing forms that quickly from screen to paper. Also liking your womens. They make me think of the phrase femme fetale - oh gosh I can't spellllll.

Arden Canelo on
  • TwinDragonTwinDragon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Awesome sketches! Thanks for sharing them:)

TwinDragon on