As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - Recruitment finished, thanks to those who applied

• Options
    BonusBonus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Victor gives the Eladrin a look and then squints at the horizon. He tries to make out something from the surroundings and figures out that he's just as clueless about their time of arrival as the Eladrin. He considers saying something but decides to remain silent. The others look like they know more about this stuff than him. He wouldn't want to make a fool of himself, at least not this early on.
    Ready!

Bonus on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For three days, Thud Barrelhead stomped along the road to Winterhaven, alongside his newfound friends. Thud likes company, and making new friends. But while he's not bigoted against any other race (except those damn filthy Orcs...and giants...and maybe goblins....) he did find it a little odd to be travelling with non-dwarves. Especally with all the damn pointy-ears. Especially the eladrin. Thud had never met an Eladrin before and they were more damn pointy-eared than the blasted Elves! Unlike most dwarves however, Thud could appreciate a fine skin of wine, and the pointy-ears knew about wine. This certainly was not the halls of the Barrelhead brewery. He muttered a quick prayer to Moradin and wondered if anyone in Winterhaven could brew a fine ale.

Thud harrumphed under his braided beard as he plonked one foot in front of the other, steadily making progress towards Winterhaven.

Ready!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    JourneymanJasterJourneymanJaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Eyes that were decidedly a deep purple and not, in fact, black peered from beneath the shadow of the dark hooded cloak. Malorian had been a few steps ahead of the band of adventurers since they first set out for Winterhaven three days prior. He had not declared himself leader of the party nor did he believe anyone thought him as such. However, as each night settled he would point out an area suitably away from the main road to take their rest. Without a word he would take upon himself the duty of gathering wood for the evening's fire and setting it ablaze. Each night as sleep began to take his fellow adventurers he would stand and speak softly, "I will take watch tonight.". During his nightly guard when he wasn't stalking, at a distance, around their camp he would sit cross legged with his gleaming sword resting upon his lap. Those who understood the sleep-like trance Eladrin took, knew he was still aware of his surrounding. Others might think him some near mute insomniac.

In stark contrast to the kindred wizard, Malorian had spoken only seven words in the three day jaunt. The addition to his stating of his nightly watch was simply his name. The Eladrin held no deviousness to his nature, however. It seemed as though he had been borne with some inherited self discipline. While his actions spoke of a certain strictness, his dress made him look more of a rogue. Blackened leather bound taught muscle and quick reflex. Its age apparent in the well defined creases. Slung low at flat of his back was the messenger bag that secured his belongings and poking just hilt and handle over his right shoulder was his blade.

Malorian's face even belied his nature, giving a sort of 'prince of thieves' look rather than 'knight of valor'. The sharp gray arcane rune encasing that solid purple left eye made his gaze as striking as it was intimidating. Even now he walked with the sure grace of a cat-burglar bundled beneath his dark cloak. The wind kicked up around the group to assure them of their northern destination. The stoic Eladrin cut the wind as a blade would, forging the path ahead for their rag-tag group.
    Ready

JourneymanJaster on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As Mindartis asks his question for the thousandth time, Nex's hand unconsciously slides to the hilt of his longsword for the thousandth time and his eyes focus on the back of the Eladrin's neck. It would be so easy to... No, no, he is my companions, these roads are treacherous, and you are a professional. Annoyance, even three constant days worth, is not a capital offense. ...Possibly a maiming offense.

Nex sighs and concentrates again on the road, keeping a steady pace with his new friends. For this trip, he has adopted the guise of a young human with sandy hair and freckles named 'Brian Landis' who looks fresh out of some local militia's boot camp. His companions, though, know the truth, or at least enough of it: That he is a Changeling, that his true name is Nex, that they should go along with his disguises, and that he knows a few more tricks than simply swinging a sword, though he is quite adept at that as well. He does like his new companions, despite himself (Well, 'Like' is perhaps too strong a word for the Eladrin. 'Tolerate', perhaps.), and is rather enjoying the fresh air of the road.

Ready

DM Question:
    Before it comes up, I was hoping for a quick interpretation of a power, Assassin's Shroud (not sure if you have DnD Insider; it's the Assassin's extra-damage marking power). For the text of the power itself and the class, we would seem to believe the power is invisible:

Assassin Text:
    "The dark magic of the Shadowfell courses through your veins, tainting your soul but granting you the ability to subject an enemy to invisible shrouds that reveal its weakest points."

Shroud Power Text:
    "You cause invisible shrouds to settle on your foe. At your command, the shrouds reveal the target’s weak points to your keen gaze."

...but then we come across a Heroic Tier feat which says as follows:

Hidden Insight Feat
    "Benefit: Creatures from which you are hidden are not aware of your shrouds."

So, Shrouds: Invisible or not? And yes, I realize in combat this will have little to no impact, but it'd still be nice to know. Thanks!

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    susan wrote: »

DM Question:
    Before it comes up, I was hoping for a quick interpretation of a power, Assassin's Shroud (not sure if you have DnD Insider; it's the Assassin's extra-damage marking power). For the text of the power itself and the class, we would seem to believe the power is invisible:

Assassin Text:
    "The dark magic of the Shadowfell courses through your veins, tainting your soul but granting you the ability to subject an enemy to invisible shrouds that reveal its weakest points."

Shroud Power Text:
    "You cause invisible shrouds to settle on your foe. At your command, the shrouds reveal the target’s weak points to your keen gaze."

...but then we come across a Heroic Tier feat which says as follows:

Hidden Insight Feat
    "Benefit: Creatures from which you are hidden are not aware of your shrouds."

So, Shrouds: Invisible or not? And yes, I realize in combat this will have little to no impact, but it'd still be nice to know. Thanks!
    My interpretation is that when I read it was while they are invisible they still have some sort of effect or weight the target notices that alerts him to the assassin's presence. The feat just makes it so you can start putting shrouds on the target without them noticing provided you're hidden.

Which makes sense I think. Failing that we can always ask in the general thread.

Kelor on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Akarr maintained a position near the vanguard of the troop during the days' marches, although one of the Eladrin kept slinking in front of him, somehow. At least that one was quiet, perhaps wrong in the head, Akarr thought. Not like the gibbering fool of a mage that complained at every errant gust of wind and beam of sun in his eye.

Akarr humored Mindartis of course, feigning commiseration and making small conversation-- no sense starting a scuffle with the moron who might "accidentally" roast his back with a fireball.

Akarr was not sure what to make of the other mage, Victor. He seemed hesitant and anxious, like many humans. At least there was some meat on his bones, could probably give a good swing. Not like that whelpling of a Wizard.

Akarr had not met many dwarves, or so it seemed he kept meeting the same ones over and over. All the same, ale and beards, ale and beards. This one, the cleric of the heathen dwarf god, seemed much the same.

The changeling was practically staring a hole in the whiny Eladrin's neck. Gripping his hilt reflexively with each new complaint. Akarr could not help but be amused, as he more than once found himself fantasizing about ways to put his own weapon to good use.

Ready!

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The shadows begin to stretch as the sun passes it's zenith. The wind is cool and comfortable, the road level beneath your feet. The occasional ancient cobblestone peeks through the dirt road, indicating decades of regret. You notice footprints in the road, some with boots, others more recent made by small clawed feet.

Roll me some perception gentlemen.

Kelor on
  • Options
    residueresidue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The wizard is in a seriously foul mood today. Not only is he unaware of the rising tensions towards him among his compatriots, he also seems much more intent on staring a burning hole into this damned road than to keep any attention on his surroundings.

1d20+3=6
    Eeh, I don't know why I added +3. That roll was a natural 3, and no modifiers. Sorry.

residue on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    8!

Understood on the Shroud power; that's what I thought too. Another random question though: How much gold was in the bag Helda gave us 8-) ?

susan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I rolled a natural one!

Thud is far to preoccupied to be perceptive at the moment. In fact, right now he's hopping around in the middle of the road, swearing and slapping at his beard to try and dislodge the fuzzy honey bee that somehow become stuck in the coarse hair.

Rats, not a good start. Lets hope one of you guys do better

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tracks catch Akarr's attention as he silently raises his hand and gives a stern look to his compatriots, suggesting that it would be best to hold a moment.

A wary glance at the horizon, a cautious crouch, as Akarr leans in to get a closer look at the tracks and scan the immediate area.

1d20+9=24

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Malorian halts his march just before the Dragonborn calls the group to a stop. He too noticed the strange tracks. Now kneeling next to Akarr, he stretches a gloved hand over the claw marked tracks just shy of touching them. His face contorting with thought, as though he were going through a catalog of creatures these could belong to.
    1d20+5=19(Perception)
    1d20+0=16(Nature;What could make these tracks?)

Do we have a campaign or something to subscribe to for these rolls yet? I did a roll from both and decided Orokos looked prettier =D

JourneymanJaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The less noble Eladrin atleast has the sense to not go all "Well, now what?" when the signal to halt comes from the dragonborn. Mindartis freezes mid-step and he looks from side to side before slowly lowering his right foot to the ground, hands spreading a bit to the side.

He then sullenly mouths "Well, now what?" to noone in particular, still personally unaware of any theoretical danger.

residue on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Do we have a campaign or something to subscribe to for these rolls yet? I did a roll from both and decided Orokos looked prettier =D

Just list the campaign on Invisible Castle as PA Keep on the Shadowfell.

Akkar and Malorian each notice there are a sizable number of tracks on the road, at least a half a dozen creatures have recently moved along the dirt path and the grass.

Akkar also detects sharp chittering noises up ahead in the rocks alongside the King's Road.

Jaster, your guy is able to match the clawed tracks as belonging to Kobolds.

KoboldsA.jpg

Roll your initiative gentlemen.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    residue on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The telltale chittering of kobolds widens Akarr's eyes, as he draws his longsword and steels himself for battle.

1d20+2=10

Reminder, combat leader gives everyone who can see and hear me a +2 initiative bonus. Should everyone be adding that in or will you factor that in when you decide turn order kelor? Obviously it's already a part of my character sheet

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    As the Dragonborn raises his hand, warning his comrades to stop, Victor knows that something is up. Contrary to his expectations, the nervousness he felt before doesn't increase, it subsides. This is what he was meant to do. For the first time in years, Victor really feels alive. He smiles.

Initiative: 1d20+0=8

Bonus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Kobolds...A half dozen or so by the looks of these tracks. They're fresh too, they've passed not long ago." Malorian spoke in a half whisper as he gestured down to the specific tracks for those that hadn't noticed. As he stood he held his right hand slightly away from his body. The hilt from over his shoulder disappeared as the longsword materialized within his waiting hand. The blade running up along his forearm hiding the length of it within the depths of his cloak. The action was slight at best.

"I suggest we be on our guard." His tone clearly unwavering even in whisper.
    This was what I planned to do before we got into the thick of it. Calling my blade is technically a standard action but as we aren't in rounds yet I figured it'd be ok for flavor. Edit: Nixed the bit about Bonus responding as he posted while I was posting! *shakes fist*

1d20+0= 5 (Initiative)

JourneymanJaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Reminder, combat leader gives everyone who can see and hear me a +2 initiative bonus. Should everyone be adding that in or will you factor that in when you decide turn order kelor? Obviously it's already a part of my character sheet

This time round I'll factor it in since not everyone made it part of their rolls. In the future I'll just remind everyone when I ask them to roll initiative and check modifiers when I work out initiative order to make sure everyone remembered to include it. Saves everyone having to edit back and forth.
    This was what I planned to do before we got into the thick of it. Calling my blade is technically a standard action but as we aren't in rounds yet I figured it'd be ok for flavor. Also, should we wait for Bonus to get a chance to respond to the tracks and such?

Since you picked up signs of creatures up ahead before actually wandering into combat, the party is aware that something is up and you have time to talk amongst yourselves and ready yourselves and your weapons for combat.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Kobolds...A half dozen or so by the looks of these tracks. They're fresh too, they've passed not long ago." Malorian spoke in a half whisper as he gestured down to the specific tracks for those that hadn't noticed. As he stood he held his right hand slightly away from his body. The hilt from over his shoulder disappeared as the longsword materialized within his waiting hand. The blade running up along his forearm hiding the length of it within the depths of his cloak. The action was slight at best.

"I suggest we be on our guard." His tone clearly unwavering even in whisper.

Invisible Castle doens't seem to be working for me, on both my PC and laptop. I have an account with them....but now it seems it won't accept my login. Keeps reloading the sign in page. Anyway...a link to the Orokos roll is below...

Thud quickly smoothes out his beard, the bee instantly forgotten, and perks up at Malorian's warning. (having missed Akkar's hand signal entirely). "Eh? Kobolds? Where?"

Inside, Thud swallowed hard. Will this to be his first battle? He was trained just as well as any other dwarf lad in his clan, but had never engaged in battle himself. Mostly he was relegated to the medic tent. Once, Thud even manned the wall during an Orc raid, but his only contribution was to make sure the true defenders were well stocked with Barrelhead's finest between sorties.

Thud did see his father slay a hill giant once during a family picnic, when Thud could barely even push a barrel down a ramp. He remembered the courage and grit on his fathers face. Thud took up his mothers holy symbol, a gift upon his departure from the clan, and immediately felt the love of Moradin right down to his toes. Fear? Pah!

Hefting the Craghammer in his right hand and holy implement in his left, Thud Barrelhead put an expression of courage and grit on his own face. Let the road bring what it would bring. Thud is ready.

Initiative = 19 +2 for our Warlord = 21!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Invisible Castle doens't seem to be working for me, on both my PC and laptop. I have an account with them....but now it seems it won't accept my login. Keeps reloading the sign in page. Anyway...a link to the Orokos roll is below...

Weird. It's the other way around for me. Sometimes login into Orokos works, sometimes it doesn't.

residue on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nex silently draws his blade from its sheath, staring at the corner to which the noises and the trail lead. With a sigh, Nex's body dissolves away, leaving behind a faint shadowy outline that glides up behind Mindartis and seems to absorb itself into the Wizard's shadow, making him almost disappear completely right before your eyes...

Init: 7+2 for 9 total
    Minor Action: Shade Form; Move behind Mindartis and Stealth to be hidden from the Kobolds: 19

Kelor, you can roll my Init for me in the future if you'd like to speed things up a bit.

susan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sensing they have been detected small creatures hiding behind the rocks spring into view and begin to move toward you. With a shriek, the Kobolds attack. Scaled and rust-colored, they have reptilian heads and
    tails.

Map
    KoboldAmbushSetup.jpg

Enemy Stats
    KoboldMinion.png
    Kobold Minion:
    HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
    AC 15; Fortitude 11, Reflex 13, Will 11

KoboldSkirmisher.png
    Kobold Skirmisher:
    HP 27; Bloodied 13
    AC 15; Fortitude 11, Reflex 14, Will 13

KoboldSlinger.png
    Kobold Slinger:
    HP 24; Bloodied 12
    AC 13; Fortitude 12, Reflex 14, Will 12

KoboldScalebearer.png
    Kobold Dragonshield:
    HP 36; Bloodied 18
    AC 18; Fortitude 14, Reflex 13, Will 13
    Dragonshields also resist the first 5 fire damage they receive.

Initiative Order:
    21 - Thud
    19 - Mindartis
    17 - Kobold Slinger
    14 - Minions
    10 - Akarr
    10 - Victor
    9 - Nex
    8 - Skirmisher
    7 - Malorian
    7 - Dragonshields

Features:
    Illumination: Bright light.

Road and Grass: The road is made of dirt, crushed rock, and occasional loose bits of ancient cobblestone from the original roadbed. Squares that contain road or grass do not hamper movement or affect visibility.

Boulders: Scattered boulders sit along the side of the road. They provide concealment and possible cover for creatures hiding behind them. They also serve as obstacles to movement; a creature can’t move directly into a square that contains boulders.The boulders are 5 feet high. Climbing onto the boulders
    requires a DC 15 Athletics check and costs 4 squares of movement. A character atop the boulders can move onto other boulder squares; treat them as difficult terrain.

Foliage: Thick foliage grows near the road in several places. These areas are lightly obscured and provide normal cover for those attacking from or into the area.

Next Up: Thud
    On Deck: Mindartis

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Gripping his weapon tight, Thud charges at the Kobold Skirmisher behind the closest rock. The ground churned under his heavy boots as he ate up distance. Thud imagined the heavy head of his hammer to drive the skull of the kobold straight down into its arse. All the might Thud could summon was put into that blow. And he missed...

Melee Basic Charge Attack on Skirmisher (N4): 9 - MISS!; Damage: 15 (would have been max!)

My charge puts Thud into N3.

Fuck...

Up Next: Mindartis
    On Deck: Kobold Slinger

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The wizard crouches down a bit as the kobolds suddenly appear. "Where did they come from?" he shouts as his head tosses back and forth, looking for a target. On his left is a big one, with a menacing looking shield. The Eldarin lets out a triumphant yell as he raises both hands, now glowing slightly, and a shot of dark blue power rushes forth from them, magic such that mere mortals dare not wield.

And he promptly kills a bird's nest above and behind the creature.

Minor: nothing.
    Move: nothing.
    Standard: Magic Missile at Kobold Dragonshield in B5 (1d20+5=7, 2d4+5=9) It's a miss. A terrible terrible miss.

Up next: Kobold Slinger
    On deck: Minion (and Akarr, once the DM has had his fun)

residue on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    At the end of the patch of boulders one of the Kobolds stands up, whirling a sling around it's head. With a flick it hurls a stone through the air striking Victor. Excited calls ring out among the rest of the kobolds among the road.

The smaller kobolds swarm out of the rocks at the group, besieging Malorian and Akarr. Malorian fends away the thrusts with a glowing nimbus on his offhand, another strikes at Mindartis but misjudges it's blow while two others find their way past Akarr's defense to hit him.

Sorry guys, update took a while since I was at work and couldn't alter the map. If this slows things up too much I may just have you guys and the enemies take your turns in blocks. You can take your turn out of order provided you are in the block of people currently in initiative. For example Akarr, Victor and Nex all have turns in a row. Any of you three may take your turn when you want rather than waiting for one of the other two to post.

Moves:
    Kobold Slinger (F15):
    Attacks Victor with sling. -2 penalty due to long range.
    Attack roll: 1d20+6 vs AC -2 = 16. Hit!
    Damage roll: 1d6+3 = 6.

Kobold Minion A (C10):
    Move to (F5)
    Attacks Malorian with it's spear.

Attack roll: 1d20+4 = 8. Miss

Kobold Minion B (E8):
    Move to (F4)
    Attacks Mindartis with it's spear.

Attack roll: 1d20+4 = 8. Miss.

Kobold Minion C (J11):
    Move to H6
    Attack Malorian with it's spear.

Attack roll: 1d20+4 = 6. Miss.

Kobold Minion D (M10):
    Move to I5
    Attack Akarr with it's spear.

Attack roll: 1d20+4 = 21. Hit!
    Damage roll: 4 Damage.

Kobold Minion E (L7):
    Move to J5
    Attack Akarr with it's spear.

Attack roll: 1d20+4 = 19. Hit!
    Damage roll: 4 Damage.

Initiative:
    Akarr: (I4)
    HP 21/27
    AC 18; Fort; 14 Reflex; 13 Will; 14

Victor: (F2)

HP 21/27
    AC; 15 Fort; 14 Reflex; 12 Will; 17

Nex: (G2)
    HP 21/21
    AC; 18 Fort; 11 Reflex; 16 Will; 15

Kobold Skirmisher: (N4)
    HP 27/27; AC 15; Fortitude 11, Reflex 14, Will 13

Malorian: (G5)
    HP 26/26
    AC; 20 Fort; 13 Reflex; 16 Will; 14

Kobold Dragonshield: (B8)

HP 36/36; AC 18; Fortitude 14, Reflex 13, Will 13

Kobold Dragonshield: (K12)

Thud: (N3)
    HP 28/28
    AC; 16 Fort; 13 Reflex; 10 Will; 15

Mindartis: (G3)

HP 21/21
    AC; 15 Fort; 10 Reflex; 15 Will; 13

Kobold Slinger (F15)
    HP 24/24; AC 13; Fortitude 12, Reflex 14, Will 12

Kobold Minion A (C10)
    HP 1; AC 15; Fortitude 11, Reflex 13, Will 11

Kobold Minion B (E8)

Kobold Minion C (J11)

Kobold Minion D (I5)

Kobold Minion E (J5):

Map:
    KoboldAmbushRound1A.jpg

Features:

Road and Grass: The road is made of dirt, crushed rock, and occasional loose bits of ancient cobblestone from the original roadbed. Squares that contain road or grass do not hamper movement or affect visibility.

Boulders: Scattered boulders sit along the side of the road. They provide concealment and possible cover for creatures hiding behind them. They also serve as obstacles to movement; a creature can’t move directly into a square that contains boulders.The boulders are 5 feet high. Climbing onto the boulders
    requires a DC 15 Athletics check and costs 4 squares of movement. A character atop the boulders can move onto other boulder squares; treat them as difficult terrain.

Foliage:
    Thick foliage grows near the road in several places. These areas are lightly obscured and provide normal cover for those attacking from or into the area.

Up Next: Akarr
    On Deck: Victor

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kelor:
    What kind of software/tools are you using for the map? Is it some sort of imaging editing software á la photoshop or something specialized for RPG needs? Asking out of curiosity...

residue on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aaagh! As the stone strikes Victor's right ear, stars appear before his eyes and he hears a loud ringing noise which seems to emanate from inside his head. He takes a quick deep breath and exhales, managing to regain focus. He considers retaliating against the kobold that threw the stone but thinks better of it. He doesn't have a good line of sight to him. Making a mental note to hurl a ball of acid at that kobold's face later, he darts around Nex to help out the Dragonborn. His arm moves in a wide arc and a cloud of fire appears to shoot out of it. Unfortunately, he aims it too high and all three kobolds manage to duck and avoid getting burned. Victor's heart sinks. This is not a good start.

Going in blocks is cool, I'll go now if Scosglen doesn't mind, because I won't be able to post for a few hours now.
    Move action: Move to J4
    Standard action: Burning Spray in an area from J5 to H7

Attack roll: 1d20+5 = 9 (Miss)
    Attack roll: 1d20+5 = 6 (Miss)
    Attack roll: 1d20+5 = 12 (Miss)

Up next: Akarr
    On deck: Nex

Bonus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    residue wrote: »
    Kelor:
    What kind of software/tools are you using for the map? Is it some sort of imaging editing software á la photoshop or something specialized for RPG needs? Asking out of curiosity...

I used Campaign Creator 3 to make the map, then Gimp to add in the tokens I made.

Unfortunately I guessed the wrong pixel size for squares when I made the map, so everything was rather small and I had to scale it up a bit so it turned out a tad blurry. And it turned out to be two meg for the picture when I saved it so I had to shrink the detail a bit.

The next one should turn out a bit better looking.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Y'all are busy with Minion-mashing, so I'll see if I can help our dear Cleric smash this skirmisher...

Nex charges to the right, regaining substance as he moves into a clump of bushes and then turning to the nearby Kobold Skirmisher with murder in his eyes. A shroud of death wraps itself around the monster and from Nex's hands fly a thin noose of shadow that flies to wrap itself around the Kobold's neck, but Nex stumbles and the noose flies wild.
    Move to L1
    Drop a Shroud on the Skirmisher
    Executioner's Noose on the Skirmisher, Invoking the Shroud - Nat 1 (Wow, we suck), and it would've done 19 damage...

Up Next: Akarr
    On Deck: Bad Guys

susan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Akarr stares down the two runtling kobolds as they zig and zag toward him. Their wiliness manages to just barely edge out Akarr's anticipations and both manage to score hits.

With a snarl, a Akarr's eyes light up with a bluish ember as his cheeks puff, and he issues forth a blast of lightning from his mouth with a deafening crack.
    Rolls: 1d20+5, 1d6+2=[19, 5], [1, 2], 1d20+5, 1d6+2=[19, 5], [3, 2], 1d20+5, 1d6+2=[5, 5], [6, 2]

Minor Action: Dragon Breath (1d20+5 vs Reflex, 1d6+2 lightning damage in close burst 3) targeting I5
    Attack Roll: 19+5=24, HIT, 1+2=3 damage to Kobold Minion D (Kill)
    Attack Roll: 19+5=24, HIT, 3+2=5 damage to Kobold Minion E (Kill)

Attack Roll 5+5=10, MISS on Kobold Minion C

Move Action: Shift to H5
    Standard Action: Rousing Assault (STR vs. AC, 1d8+3 dam)

Attack Roll: 6+6=12, MISS on Kobold Minion C

The two kobolds immediately in front of Akarr are struck down dead on the spot, their bodies now smoldering as he closes in on the one that managed to evade his breath, ready to exact further revenge for his wounds. This kobold is devious in his movements and proves a hard target to strike with a longsword as well. Out of the corner of his eye, Akarr catches sight of his comrades bumbling and missing with every step. Akarr's stomach knots up as he realizes he was the only one to strike down an assailant so far, and his faith in his fellow adventurers sinks to a new low.

UP NEXT: Skirmisher
    ON DECK: Malorian

Whoops! Totally forgot that, added my miss to the pile

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Akarr, Dragon Breath is a Minor. You have another chance to swing and miss like the rest of us :mrgreen: .

susan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The skirmisher rears back at the sound of thunder from Akarr's breath over the rocks then thrusts forward and stabs at Thud with it's spear. The tip merely nicks the dwarf's skin however.

Scos, You have only been hit twice right? So you're on 21 still.

Moves:
    Kobold Skirmisher (N4):
    Attacks Thud with it's spear.
    Attack roll: 1d20+6 vs AC = 17. Hit!
    Damage roll: 1d8 = 1

Initiative:
    HP 36/36

Kobold Dragonshield: (B8)

Kobold Dragonshield: (K12)

HP 27/28

HP 21/21

Kobold Slinger (F15)

Kobold Minion A (F4)

Kobold Minion B (F5)

Kobold Minion C (H6)

Akarr: (H5)
    HP 21/27

HP 21/27

Nex: (L1)
    HP 21/21

Map:
    KoboldAmbushRound1B.jpg

Features:

Foliage:
    Thick foliage grows near the road in several places. These areas are lightly obscured and provide normal cover for those attacking from or into the area.

Up Next: Malorian

On Deck: Kobold Dragonshields

Edit: Apparently I just can't count.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hit twice for 4 damage. 27-8=19

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    As the first weapon came to bear, Malorian rotated to dodge the blow. For the second he brought his off hand up. Before the blade met its mark it glanced away in a skittering pattern of runes appearing for only a moment in the air.

Battle erupted all around as the Dwarf and Changeling charged off behind some rocks to the right. A projectile whizzed past from the bushes ahead as a bolt of energy lashed out into the trees to the left of him. Roaring lightning exploded from behind him causing Malorian to glance over his shoulder. Two of the fragile looking kobolds were engulfed in the blast the third only saved by its sudden drop to the ground. 'Most likely out of fright.' Malorian gave as a passing thought.

As the kobold jumped to its feet it just barely dodged an incoming blow from the suddenly much more intimidating Dragonborn. Now standing back to back with the scaled humanoid, the Eladrin gave his ally a sly smile and a nod. With a quick flourish Malorian switched his grip on his longsword and thrust it forward to the kobold just in front of him. Green flame burst from the blade as it pierced the kobold's lightly armored chest also engulfing the unfortunate kobold to the left.

Not missing a step the swordmage burst through the fire to where the wizard has fired his bolt. "Come out and face your fate!" He taunted to all that would come, his blade pointing at the armored kobold just behind the rocks.
    Was having some trouble with Invisible Castle, it kept making me relog after I would type in a set of rolls. So I ended up using Orokos. Also my max HP is 35, not 27. Edit: Due to user error I thought greenflame killed all adjacent enemies to me not the target. So Minion A gets an AO on Malorian.

Rolls:1d20+8= 16; 1d8+5= 7

Standard Action: Greenflame Blade on Minion B (1d20+8 = 16 vs AC = 15)
    Hit!

Damage to Minion B = 7
    Damage to Minion C = 2

Move Action: Move to D6
    Minor Action: Mark Kobold Dragonshield (B8)

Up Next: Kobold Dragonshields
    On Deck: Thud

JourneymanJaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wait... what? You left Minion A alive? Isn't the first rule of D&D - keep the wizard alive? Is it because you want to be the sole Eladrin in the party, is that it? Huh? Huh? ;)

residue on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well I figured since I'd already posted what I did it was 'too late' to change it. So I edited the damage properly. Besides you have a nice pretty warlord there to ponk the minion for great vengence. I'm making myself a target, so I suppose maybe I AM wanting just one Eladrin...you :P

JourneymanJaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well in that case... your sacrifice is appreciated. The bards will sing your name for generations to come. A shining example for us all to follow. You'll be missed. Blah blah blah. :)

residue on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kobold Ambush: Round 2

The Dragonshield on the left side of the road moves out from cover, slashing at Malorian but overswings and misses with it's short sword.

The Dragonshield to the right scurries up the road, using the boulders for cover.

Moves:
    Kobold Dragonshield A (B8):
    Moves to C7.
    Attacks Malorian with it's short sword.
    Attack roll: 1d20+7 vs AC = 8. Miss!

Kobold Dragonshield B (K12):
    Moves to N6.

Initiative:
    HP 27/28

HP 21/21

Kobold Slinger (F15)

Kobold Minion C (H6)

Akarr: (H5)
    HP 21/27

HP 21/27

Nex: (L1)
    HP 21/21

HP 36/36

Kobold Dragonshield A: (B8)

Kobold Dragonshield B: (K12)

Map:
    KoboldAmbushRound1C.jpg

Features:

Foliage:

Up Next: Thud
    On Deck: Mindartis

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have LOS to Dragonshield A, yes?

Edited to add: also, do I have LOS to N5? It's behind the boulder, but I was pondering if I put a Scorching Burst there it should hit both Kobolds, no?

Edited to add, again: scratch all of the above. I've decided on what to do, for better or for worse...

residue on