Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - Recruitment finished, thanks to those who applied

1293031323335»

Posts

  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nex mulled the Mercenaries' words quickly. Their explanations were... reasonable, unfortunately. Which only increased the likelihood that that attack was meant for the party after all, that they were being targeted by someone inside the town.

    Turning a half-smile to the Orc, Nex says with withering sadness, "Alas, we forgot to negotiate our fee prior to the attack. This is looking to be an expensive bit of pro bono work on our part."

    Nex propels himself with his hands and hops over the table to land on his feet in the aisle with a gymnast's grace. Turning back to the men, he says, "If whoever's behind this is after your package, whatever it turns out to be, come find us before you deal with it. Not that you big, strong, brave men need any help, but they took out one of ours and we need to return the favor. I wish you luck and health in your business venture. Now if you'll excuse me, I've apparently a Drow to frighten." And with that, Nex walks away and back into the bar proper.

    Thud's in the Bar, right?

    Nex spies Thud walking into the bar and walks over to the Dwarf with a grim expression. Nodding, he says softly, "One lead down with nothing to show for it. The other's barred up in her room with who and Gods know what. Wanna break in and bust heads?"

    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    ·
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thud frowns a bit. Moradin always was in favour of head busting, to be sure. Just as long as they were the right heads. Evil heads, or guilty ones. Those were OK. But random drow heads? Thats were it gets a little fuzzy.

    Random? Bad. Drow? Usually OK. It truely was a conundrum.

    In the end, Thud hefts his hammer and goes along with Nex.

    ·
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ubashu stands up from the body. He had lost himself in analysis again, and looked around to see the last of companions enter the bar.

    It wouldn't be good to get separated from them, he thought. They might just leave one as strange as himself behind. He hurried over to the buliding.

    "I didn't happen to miss any...violence and death, did I, Bang?", he asked the dwarf.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
    ·
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "What? No. Not yet. And its Thud, lad. T-H-U-D." raising en eyebrow, Thud looks Ubashu up and down. "It is Lad, right? Just asking..."

    ·
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I believe that is the descriptor that...closest matches what I am. And your parents...were foolish to give you a name with so many synonyms."

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
    ·
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nex observes Ubashu with dual raised eyebrows. After an awkwardly long pause, he says, "Right. Ubashu, was it? We're going upstairs to find some information and probably get in trouble. Come along, if you'd like."

    Nex proceeds up the stairs to the room of the Drow. Considering his companions and the setting, he doesn't try to stay quiet, though he does pause outside the specified room to listen for sound within and see if any shadows are visible under the crack of the door...

    Perception 17. Wow, a decent Perception roll, that's a first :) !

    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    ·
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ubashu nods once. "Goody."

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
    ·
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can hear some movement in the room, but the room has a rug on the floor that obscures any light that might have come from under the door.

    ·
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nex turns to his companions, shrugs once, and knocks on the door.

    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    ·
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh I see how it is! So you'll draw a sword on the other two guys, but girls are different!

    The sound of movement stops for a moment then light footsteps move towards the door before becoming muffled by the rug. The door swings open to reveal the Drow from the previous night. Seeing the unusual party arrayed on the otherside of the door she keeps the door cracked open. "Yes?"

    ·
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nex is equal opportunity; he just needed Line of Sight.

    Nex smiles and nods at the Drow, speaking calmly and politely. "Hello, my name's Brian." The changeling dissolves into Thud's shadow, reappearing in an instant behind the hopefully startled woman with sword in hand. In the same calm voice, he says, "We need to talk. Come in guys."

    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    ·
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Drow twists about as she hears Nex's voice behind her. "Alas Brian, I have somewhere that I need to be and a man I very much need to kill. But since you seem to enjoy shadows so much....." Clapping her hands together clouds of thick billowing smoke erupts outwards, filling the room and then spilling out and down the hallway. The smoke is so thick and dense is plunges the surroundings into thick black darkness and leaves you unable to see your hand in front of your face in addition to muffling of those within.

    The smoke effectively makes you blind. You grant combat advantage and take a -5 penalty to any attacks you make while blinded. You can make a perception check to try and determine where she is, but take a -10 penalty to the roll to do so.

    ·
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "Moradin's Beard!!" exlaims Thud, clearly suprised at the sudden darkness. He quickly searches for the fleeing in the darkness. He sees nothing.

    Perception = 15 - 10 = 5

    Not wanting to let the evil Drow escape, Thud decides (perhaps somewhat rashly) to give a shout of Moradin's Name and lash out with this hammer. With a, well, a thud, the hammer hits home and a shriek of drow pain can be heard. A shimmer of Moradin's approval appears to Nex, guiding his sword in the darkness. Thud truely is blessed!

    Righteous Brand = Natural 20!! (Gotta love the timing!)
    Damage = 10+2(enhancement)+6(Str)+ 10(2d6 Radiant crit damage) = 28!!

    ·
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "An observation, miss. Next time you choose a distraction...tailor it to whom you are distracting. This smoke is as nothing to me."

    With that, the invoker summoned an angelic aspect of The Raven Queen, and sent it after the fleeing drow. Unfortunately it probably missed her.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
    ·
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Perception to find the Drow: -6! *head thump*

    Nex coughs at the smoke, which has clearly gotten in both his eyes so badly he may n'er see again. Shouting to his companions, "Where is she!?!?"

    If Ubashu tells Nex where she is, will I still have a chance to act this round?

    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    ·
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You have time to take an action, but still suffer the penalties for being in the smoke. She is unaffected by the smoke created and so has combat advantage against you and is effectively invisible.

    ·
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That was awesome timing for a crit by the way Steel.

    ·
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nex lashes out with the flat of his sword, not sure where the woman is nor if he made contact with his thrust [15 AC after modifiers? 17 Damage?]. Shouting to the air around him, he demands, "Show yourself. You cannot escape, and we will not harm you if you stop this now."

    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    ·
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nex's blade lashes out but catches naught but air. Smoky air.

    His words ring out in the darkness but hears no reply while Ubashu senses movement somewhere in the hallway . The smoke slowly dissipates and you can hear the sounds of movement in the hallway near the stairs. Rushing out you see a furious looking Sylvanna Wrafton storming her way up them towards you.

    "Now, I appreciate what you've done for this village but I won't have you harassing my customers or brawling in my inn! I still need to run a business even with things as they are. The young lady just left, thankfully the two whose breakfast you interrupted are still here. I was coming to tell you one of Sister Linora's acolytes asking for you to visit her when you have a moment when Chali just went past me telling me she was leaving.

    Goddamn it woman! Back in the kitchen! There's a drow on the loose!

    ·
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "Damnit Sylvanna, the Drow was an assassin! She admitted it!" Thud exlaims, "I hate to bust up yer fine, fine drinking hole, but there's evil afoot!"

    Looking back and forth between Ubashu and Sylvanna, Thud asks "Where did she go?"

    ·
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "Assassin! Surely not! She seemed like such a nice girl! She said you were chasing her, gave me the coin she owed me and went through the kitchen exit."

    ·
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "Damnit, where are the others!" Thud mutters, stomping down the stairs as fast as his short legs could carry him. Thud shouts out to the other members of his party, "Samhradh!! Akarr!! Find the Drow!! She's an assassin!!"

    Hee hee. I thought this was a dungeon crawl? :) Have we hijacked it with our shennanigans? Should we have just mourned the loss of our now NPC teammates and got back to the Keep?

    ·
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dungeon crawls are so passe.

    You can totally find the person who killed Aieldar, I'm not stiffing you by making the drow disappear. That would be boring. I, being the awesome person that I am have tied this web of intrigue into my master plan.

    It's actually somewhat important and there's some clues dotted about the place and places you've been if you do some investigating.

    ·
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nex, quietly cursing to himself, runs down the stairs to the bar below. He whirls around looking for the Drow and, finding her gone, raises the volume of his cursing considerably. He then rushes over to the two mercenaries he had recently become acquainted with and spits out, "Drow's the Assassin, sorry about earlier, drinks on me, think she's trying to kill you or your boss, later." With that, he throws two gold coins on their table and rushes back up to the Drow's room to give it a good and thorough tossing for clues...

    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    ·
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The rooms looks relatively bare at first glance.

    The bed looks to be barely slept in the previous night, the sheets only slightly ruffled and no warmth remains in the straw stuffed matress. A rumpled traveling cloak lies on the floor of the room, partially torn from Thud's attack as the Drow went to escape.

    As Nex hefts it in his hand he notices it feels slightly heavier than it should and a closer examination reveals a double lining in one section which has a sheaf of papers bound together. The writing within is unfortunately not in any language he can understand. Two sheets appear to be lists of some sort while the remainder are just hand written blocks of text.

    ·
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "Aw, what in the Nine Hells..." Nex shakes his head and walks into the hallway to his teammates. "Do we have anyone left alive on our team that can read Elf?" He holds the papers out so that his party members may see the writing.

    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    ·
  • BrodyBrody SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm in the tower with our lovely wizard friend.

    ·
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "Eh." Thud shrugs, "Its all gibberish to me." Thinking for a moment, he remembers the tree.

    "Hey, Samhradh's with the wizard in yon towers. The wizard'll know what it says!"

    ·
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nex nods, folding the paper up and placing it in his pouch, "Then let's go see the Wizard."

    Nex then goes to the Wizards tower with the rest of the crew, hoping for some more answers to be found there...

    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    ·
  • BrodyBrody SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, we're off to see the wizard...

    ·
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When you knock on the door of Valthrun's tower there is a moment's pause before the door clicks and swings open to admit you. The interior is much the same as it was when you were here to days ago, the magical nick-knacks and trinkets swirl about or sit stolidly about on tables, shelves and the air itself.

    At the top floor you see Samhradh looks about as he talks to Valthrun who in turn is poring over some of the odds and ends you found at the keep. Alstrom's journal lies open open on the table as well and your Wilden companion is just finishing bringing the wizard up to speed on events of the previous night.

    Gordo is still muttering to himself as he moves about the kitchen and upper floor rearranging books and putting his master's things back into place from their locations about the floor.

    Valthrun is rotating a rectangular shape through his fingers as he listens, then catches sight of you. "Ah and here are the rest of you. I'm sorry to hear about Aieldar and I agree with Brian and Samhradh, his death is part of a larger scheme. Not an unfortunate event."

    Behind Valthrun you can see his crystal orb flash between various images. One moment it shows the road leading away from Winterhaven, then to the Keep, then to a graveyard somewhere. "Prudent I thought, given the events yesterday. While I did manage to preven them from breaking into my tower if you hadn't arrived when you did many more of the townspeople would have died, my powers are considerably weakened outside of my tower."

    Valthrun holds the object up he has been holding and you see the Nerathian mirror you discovered within the keep. "I've skimmed through Alstrom's journal and one of my own tomes. Between the two I've managed to reactivate it, so while it won't be able to view the wards I've set we can at least communicate with each other." He taps the journal on the table.

    "I will read through this more thoroughly and see if I can glean anything more useful from it. In the meantime I've sealed the idol in one of my rooms, my guess is that last night's assault was an attempt to seize it. Aieldar's death may have been to find the whereabouts of it after their first move failed. You should stick together as a group, I've set scrying wards about the village and the keep to monitor and alert us if anything untoward happens.

    I know it's taken a while to update guys. I've just started a new job! Which while exciting is a bit more intense than the last.

    Steel is in the process of getting married! So congratulations Steel! In the meantime we'll have one of you handle him if Steel isn't able to play.

    ·
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey! I'm not gone yet! One more week of and then everything I own is now hers... :)

    ·
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Valthrun is more than happy to talk or answer any questions you might have for him!

    ·
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No time for a verbose IC post.... Does the trail of the murderers lead back to the Keep? Metagaming says yes.

    Non-meta logic tells us: Also, since the zombie attack on the town was an attempt to get the idol...and we splunked the keep to find the evil jerk looking for the idol...it stand to reason that the stakes have been upped and we should head back to the keep to find the evil jerk and kill him but good.

    ·
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ubashu stands there, looking slightly perplexed.

    He also doesn't really feel like reading up on 56 pages of backstory at the moment.

    farangu.png

    Hey! Want to learn how to play Street Fighter? You should read this.
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
    ·
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "Questions, smeshtions!" Thud roars, growing fed up with the waiting. "There's evil afoot in the Keep, and to the Keep we should be going!! Who's with me?!?"

    Seriously, who's with me?

    ·
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kelor's been working a new job; I kinda thought this one was sadly but understandably over.

    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    ·
Sign In or Register to comment.