As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - The Citadel Council: Hot or Not?

• Options
    SeanOrangeSeanOrange Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    moocow wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Blood Dragon. But really, they both look like heavy armors, and I don't have a soldier playthrough.

Shouldn't be a problem, I think we learned last thread that there will be no more armor 'types'.

Oh, ok. I'm still not caught up with it.

It's okay. These threads move pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss something awesome.

Gummi krogan? It's been in my pocket; they're real warm and soft.

Danka Schoen.

Man, these threads DO move fast.

I'm glad that the armor classes no longer exist. Nothing as bad as a gajillion armor drops that I can't use because they're inferior to the one that class has, but would be great for another character.

Or when I'm trying to get the Ally achievements, and all I get are drops for the species not in my party. Although I suspect that will still be an issue (although much more understandable and accetpable).

SeanOrange on
    sig_powet-director.pngsig_powet-powetcast.pngsig_powet-famicomdojo.pngsig_powet-keepplaying.png
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damn, I'm torn.

Do I want the CE for the Cerberus Network Membership Card, or do I want to save money and not get things that will end up in the trunk of my car like my Fallout 3 bobblehead and tin box?

You need that Membership Card. Who knows what dark and secret places you could gain access to with it.

Havelock on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i am a sucker for tin cases for my games

resi 4 and bioshock

Nuzak on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    A New Zealand site might have leaked the contents of the Collector's Edition.

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/PC-Games/Mass-Effect-2-Collectors-Edition/3243730/
    Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition includes:

* Dark Horse Comic Issue #1
    * Hardcover Art Book
    * Bonus DVD (content TBC)
    * 1 Exclusive In-Game item
    * Cerberus Network Membership Card
    * Tin Box

That seems to pass the smell test. I mean, that's pretty much what you would expect from a Mass Effect CE. And I doubt that site just made all that up.

The Bonus DVD for ME1 was actually content filled and well made. It wasn't some 10 minute 'making of' with some trailers thrown on there. It was hours of footage, and commentaries by some of the artists on every goddam thing.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    Terminus vs. Inferno

which armor is cooler?

One of them makes you look like a stealth fighter. Check and mate.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And it's called Terminus.
    Say it to yourself. It sounds badass.

I also definitely didn't know that the UNC involving space monkeys had a glitch for infinite paragon points and now I'm debating doing it to get that damn achievement so I can go back to being Shepard McBadass.

T4CT on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of fighters, it would be nice at some point to get some player action in the Mass Effect space battles.

Nothing major, just a mini game or two. Most of the space combat seems automated anyway according to the lore. Maybe during a battle a gunner at his station is killed and you have to take control of it.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anybody remember the space battles in the KOTOR games? I'd rather not do that again...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Turn hitting the relay into a minigame.

Except based on my experience driving things in games, there'd be a lot of wrecked relays. And ships.

I was driving home today and mulled over the possibility of a survival mode for ME. Competitive multiplayer wouldn't work for glaring reasons but given tweaking I think a survival mode could be good for a few laughs.

e: Ok KOTOR space battles were bad, but there's got to be a better way to do them now. One that isn't "shoot fast moving target while given target does loop-de-loops and you're on a stationary turret".

T4CT on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of fighters, it would be nice at some point to get some player action in the Mass Effect space battles.

Nothing major, just a mini game or two. Most of the space combat seems automated anyway according to the lore. Maybe during a battle a gunner at his station is killed and you have to take control of it.

And then what, shoot down a wave of enemy TIE fighters?

I don't mean to come off as a dick. I'm just pretty sure that, according to the Codex, that's not how space combat in ME works.

Havelock on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Terminus vs. Inferno

which armor is cooler?

One of them makes you look like a stealth fighter. Check and mate.

I think the Iron Man movie proved who wins in a Iron Man vs. Jet match.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Who says it has to be fighters? Getting into a tense capital ship sneaking match with a Reaper could be just as good.

I'm just saying as science fiction game, it would be nice to interact with your ship more than picking a location on the map and yelling GO! to the Helmsman.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They could bring back the Jade Empire minigame.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No, they should buyout or kidnap all the people from Volition who made Freespace 2, chain them to desks, and force them to churn out a fully featured space combat sim that comes with the collectors edition of ME3.

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Who says it has to be fighters? Getting into a tense capital ship sneaking match with a Reaper could be just as good.

I'm just saying as science fiction game, it would be nice to interact with your ship more than picking a location on the map and yelling GO! to the Helmsman.

I'm having a hard time seeing the captain of a ship with a crew getting involved in the specifics of combat. Even a warship would have a dedicated CIC officer.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm having a hard time seeing the captain of a ship with a crew getting involved in the specifics of combat. Even a warship would have a dedicated CIC officer.

You're Commander Fucking Shepard though.

Actually, Shepard doesn't even need battleships in ship to ship battle. He just has the crew shoot him out of the tornado hull so he can go fuck shit up.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Of course, but I'm only talking about an occasional break from ground pounding. Combat causalities or any number of contrived situations could call for Shepard taking the gunnery station.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone know if the "no armor classes" thing works like every class can wear any armor, or you just get a piece of armor and whether its light or heavy depends on your class (so that you can always equip any armor you get but it will have better stats if you're a soldier). Hopefully the second, it seems lame if an adept can wear the same bulky armor a soldier can wear.

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I managed to make a dude who looked just like me on the original ME thing, but on a whim I was all "Oh wait my mouth looks too small from this angle, lets bump that up a bit... Perfect!" Get into game and my jaw just drops. I looked totally right from the nose up, but oh lord, I looked like I had giant wax lips on. Fucking Steven Tyler's lips grafted themselves symbiotically to my face D:
    :winky:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Then why not glue the Mako (or its replacement) to the outer hull? I would just as soon avoid contrived situations that would force Shepard into a gunnery station. At that point, you wouldn't be in the Normandy/SR2 anyway and that little plot detail is always better served for a ship's cook or some other lowly non-com.

And any battle situation where Shepard would need to jump in, at least on the Normandy/SR2, is a situation so dire they would be unlikely to survive. I doubt the destruction of the Normandy will see Shepard do more than run about trying to maintain command rather than assume the empty seat of a position long since rendered ineffective.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Then why not glue the Mako (or its replacement) to the outer hull? I would just as soon avoid contrived situations that would force Shepard into a gunnery station. At that point, you wouldn't be in the Normandy/SR2 anyway and that little plot detail is always better served for a ship's cook or some other lowly non-com.

And any battle situation where Shepard would need to jump in, at least on the Normandy/SR2, is a situation so dire they would be unlikely to survive. I doubt the destruction of the Normandy will see Shepard do more than run about trying to maintain command rather than assume the empty seat of a position long since rendered ineffective.

Yeah. I see the Normandy attack being more of a "Oh shi--Everyone evacuate!" moment, rather than it being any type of real offensive other than maybe decoy.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone know if the "no armor classes" thing works like every class can wear any armor, or you just get a piece of armor and whether its light or heavy depends on your class (so that you can always equip any armor you get but it will have better stats if you're a soldier). Hopefully the second, it seems lame if an adept can wear the same bulky armor a soldier can wear.

It sounds like they just did away with the light/medium/heavy distinction. If you find a new set of Colossus or something, anybody can wear it. And how it appears on the wearer might be decided by what the character class is and not the armour class.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And how it appears on the wearer might be decided by what the character class is and not the armour class.

This is what I was asking (with different stats maybe in addition to a different look).

Edit: I guess I could have asked much more simply "Will the same armor appear differently on different character classes?"

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't think they've said. And we simply won't know until we see what happens when two human-shaped people that are different classes wear the same armour. And they haven't shown that yet.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    StormwaltzStormwaltz Beyond the Perseus VeilRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Think of it as Planetes with a squishy eezo center

Someone will like that comparison.

I will be that guy. Planetes is my favorite anime SF series -- and how I pictured the development of humanity in Mass Effect somewhere around 2070-2100.

Also, blue-dotted.

Stormwaltz on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Don't you mean pale blue dotted?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Better yet Death's Hand armor!

Egos on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ahhh I bloody can't wait for this game to arrive. :( Pre-ordered it for the Terminus Armor (Is it just me or does it look a wee bit like Michael Bay's Megatron?) Also I think this is relevant, or at least for anyone who remembers one of those elevator news blurb announcements. :D
    1256060006676.jpg

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Better yet Death's Hand armor!

Even better, they could make a sequel to JE, since I really enjoyed it.

Taky, get on that. Chop chop.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Don't you mean pale blue dotted?

oh my god i love you so bad

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bloody brilliant, Elcor Hamlet was definitely one of the better gag moments in the game. Along with, "When I'm pissed off, I shoot things. Find me more bugs."

Who drew it?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No, they should buyout or kidnap all the people from Volition who made Freespace 2, chain them to desks, and force them to churn out a fully featured space combat sim that comes with the collectors edition of ME3.

ok here's how i read the first part of that first time through

No, they should buyout or kidnap all the people from Voltron ...

"he's not actually gonna suggest that they have the normandy combine with other alliance ships bla blah blah is he?"

Joolander on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bloody brilliant, Elcor Hamlet was definitely one of the better gag moments in the game. Along with, "When I'm pissed off, I shoot things. Find me more bugs."

Who drew it?

Hehe, no idea, I found it traipsing about in the undergutters of 4chan. Surprised they didn't shove a quad joke in there somewhere.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know what was totally worth doing multiple playthroughs for?

Making Admiral Asshole accept the Normandy as the greatest interracial ship ever.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    PilgrimPilgrim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would have a much easier time taking the default male Shepard seriously if he didn't remind me so much of the main character from the latest Red Faction, both because of the terrible voice and similar appearance.

Pilgrim on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I made my Shepard look like Obama by accident.

Which is even more awesome when I made him before he became president

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That picture is glorious :D

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know what was totally worth doing multiple playthroughs for?

Making Admiral Asshole accept the Normandy as the greatest interracial ship ever.

How do you pull that off? The best I managed with full Charm was "I get you like it and I suppose it's not as shitty as I thought."

werehippy on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, this may have been answered but fuck me, Mass Effect threads move so fast

If I go preorder at Gamestop, I get the Terminus Armor and the Blood Dragon armor, right? Where's the Inferno armor come from?

And is there anything stopping me from buying two copies, one from Gamestop and one from wherever I get Inferno armor, and downloading them both?

Because I really want both.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    So, this may have been answered but fuck me, Mass Effect threads move so fast

If I go preorder at Gamestop, I get the Terminus Armor and the Blood Dragon armor, right? Where's the Inferno armor come from?

And is there anything stopping me from buying two copies, one from Gamestop and one from wherever I get Inferno armor, and downloading them both?

Because I really want both.

Narp, The terminus armor/and gun come from pre-ordering through gamestop.

The dragonage armor comes from pre-ordering Dragonage Origins or getting a specific edition (I honestly forget which)

And to further continue this memory-loss miasma....I honestly forget which vendor you pre-order from to get the inferno armor from :(

Edit!: Actually doing some digging....it turns out they haven't actually SAID which vendors are carrying the Inferno Armor Pre-Order bonus, just "other retailers", so we'll probably have to wait and see it seems. :(

Thegreatcow on