As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to purchase a laptop that will run WoW (for rea$onable)

Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm unfamiliar with laptop graphics cards and laptops in general, so even though I know the
system req's for WoW it's hard to translate that into recognizing which hardware will run it passably.

I'd *love* to do this for under three hundred bucks, but I realize that even going second hand that might be a stretch.
Any and all advice on the subject is appreciated.

2tyFzTC.png

Farout Foolio on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My advice is avoid used laptops like the plague. A desktop its not THAT bad because you can replace parts fairly easily/cheaply. Laptop parts are hard/impossible to replace.

That said, it does run on alot of netbooks, which are typically in the $350 - $500 range, so your goal isn't THAT outrageous, just needs a bit of adjusting. WoW doesn't require a fancy videocard, which is the only element thats really all that different on a laptop than a desktop.

This Acer is $299 and would probably run it. I can't quite tell if it would or not so don't buy it on my word. There is an Asus and a Samsung netbook for $30 - $50 more each that would probably be better equipped to run it. They are likely to run it better because of their faster processors (1.6ghz instead of 1.3ghz, which is WoW's minimum.) The Asus also has the newest of the netbook processors, so its probably the best value there.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When you got to the store bring the software, install it, then give it a test run. Thats what I did back in the day when i bought a laptop.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When you got to the store bring the software, install it, then give it a test run. Thats what I did back in the day when i bought a laptop.

Installing wow is not a quick procedure.

Especially on a budget machine.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I would think that is HIGHLY frowned upon by every single person in the store, customers and works alike

Raneados on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

WoW needs to patch a few gigs to be playable and is a gigantic install at this point to boot. You'd be hard pressed to find a retail jockey that will allow you to do this.

Good news however, is that most if not all non netbooks out there will run wow just fine on lower settings. It's not exactly new, and its a blizzard game, and they tend to run on anything. It doens't need that fancy of a graphics card and tends to play nice even with on board graphic solutions.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok then here's a better idea.

Install WoW on a portable hard-drive. Plug that hard-drive into the computer that you are thinking of buying.

Now you can run the game from that computer without taking any of the time to install or patch.

Yes this works perfectly.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok then here's a better idea.

Install WoW on a portable hard-drive. Plug that hard-drive into the computer that you are thinking of buying.

Now you can run the game from that computer without taking any of the time to install or patch.

Yes this works perfectly.

This is a good idea provided they will let you do it. Ask first. I would think if they want to make a sale they will! (for the uninformed yes WoW is this portable, no registry, no outside dependencies) Although depending on the store, WoW's ports might be blocked...

I advise against netbooks. It is true that they will run WoW, but the game gets more graphically overhauled every expansion. They're redoing the old world next expansion. My friend has an older Mac and he gets like 30 FPS in the old world (low res textures, fog etc.), 10-20 FPS in Northrend (higher res textures and no tricks to ease the stress on your video card) and less than 10 in the main city Dalaran and raids/Wintergrasp. I've heard similar reports for netbooks. Yes, you can go solo questing, but raids are likely to be unplayable.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wouldn't dismiss used laptops out of hand. I have a used p166 laptop that I purchased in 2000 for law school that I still use for wireless web browsing. Circa 2005 Dell was making a ton of 15.4 inch laptops with good (for the time) video cards that played wow just fine - that's what my wife used.

If you go used, I strongly suggest Dell from my personal experience. They provide limited support to secondary owners, and that Dell ID on the bottom of the laptop will get you to a page at Dell which lists all of your components and drivers.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you're going to get something with integrated graphics, make sure you drop 4 gigs of RAM into the machine. I had a Sony Vaio with an Intel 3100 (I think that was it) graphics chipset and I stuck 4 gigs into the laptop and it ran WoW ok. Raids were about 6-7 FPS, but playable (as a Rogue). Pretty much any new laptop with a dedicated graphics card will run WoW just fine. I think the newest Intel integrated chipset (4500?) should run WoW a bit better maybe? Don't quote me though, try Googling the chipset. You're probably looking at more like a $500 investment for a laptop to run WoW ok though.

Esh on
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have last year's version of this laptop.

It runs WoW surprisingly well - I get 30ish fps in Dalagran, as well as 30ish in 10-man ulduar. It's also got an HDMI port so you can hook it up to your HDTV and play WoW in glorious HD.

It does get a little warm though, so if you're actually playing with it on your lap, it can be uncomfortable. Also, the NIC sometimes has problems connecting to my router at home (wirelessly and wired), but this is most likely the fault of my craptastic router.

edit: I didn't see your <$300 requirement. The laptop I linked to is $700... you might be able to find a used one on ebay or something?

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3