As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BORDERLANDS] It's mind-blowing & we broke Steam for it

Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Link to old thread of awesome

Sold out for consoles right now. Out Oct 26th for PC's. (Yes, we broke Steam).

borderlands.jpg

Incredibly important things to get out the way so you won't embarrass yourself asking about them later;
  • Yes, you can respec your skill tree for a certain percent of your wealth. You go to a New-U station, which are pretty much everywhere (as soon as you enter a new area, you're next to one) and you can do it there for a certain percent of your wealth.
  • You can play with people of a higher or lower level than yourself, you'll get mad XP if you're the lower level player
  • You do get to upgrade you inventory space eventually, quite considerably
  • NO ITS NOT (completely) LIKE FALLOUT 3 (just maybe a little in the visual department), NOW GO DIE.

On to the good stuff!

For all the Game info, click on to see the old awesome OP. I'm using this one for the new awesome stuff. SO MUCH AWESOME *Cries*

Game Trailers!
Gameplay video

ComicCon 2009 trailer

Borderlands is for REAL GAMERS

Borderlands: Claptrap Web Series ep. 1

Borderlands: Claptrap Web Series ep. 2

What's that? You wanna know who you can Play as? You didn't click the link you lazy jackass! Alright then, I'll give...
408478_full.jpg
From left to right: Roland, Lilith, Mordecai, Brick

Roland
Roland is a former soldier of the Crimson Lance, a sort of highly trained private military that disregards law and order. A decade-old vendetta is rekindled when Roland learns that the leader of the Brigadiers has a suspiciously similar name to a man he has sworn to kill. Some of Roland's abilities are meant to supplement and support the party. His Leadership skill can boost the party's experience gains, while his Medical skill will increase health regeneration, and Support will increase weapon damage or regenerate ammunition for the party, Roland is a soldier class and the only class that doesn't have to worry about ammo as a special backpack produces an infinite supply.

Lilith
Once a human, Lilith at one point was turned into a siren. One of only six Sirens, they are a group of people with unbelievable powers, but no way to control them. She comes to Pandora in search of another Siren, in an effort to find out more about herself. Lilith is essentially the mage of the group, using her Siren powers to support the group and attack the enemy. Some of her powers include the ability to increase the group's rate of fire, as well as the power to create temporal bubbles, which she can manipulate to slow down enemies and hostile projectiles or speed up allies.

Mordecai
Mordecai came to Pandora in search of a man from his past named Demosthenes. Upon learning that Demosthenes has died, Mordecai sets off to learn how he died and what he was carrying. Mordecai's play style is that of a lone ranger, preferring to snipe enemies from afar. Some of his special abilities can augment the party's damage from headshots or give accuracy boosts and is a hunter class. Later in the game, he will befriend a bird-like creature named Bloodwing that will assist in combat.

Brick
A massive specimen of a man who likes to use his fists to smash the enemy above all else. He wears a necklace adorned with the paw of his beloved deceased dog. He fills in the tank niche and can take quite a beating as well having the ability to chug berserker-state inducing pills for short bursts of power.

Screenshots
408480_full.jpg

408482_full.jpg

408484_full.jpg

408486_full.jpg

408488_full.jpg

bl1l.jpg

bl5.jpg

bl4.jpg

bl2.jpg

bl1.jpg

MULTIPLAYER STUFFS!
You can play with up to four other players, regardless of which class they went with. You want a team of tanks? Y'all roll Bricks'. XP is given equally but loot is free for all, shoot your own team if you have to get it before them. ( I don't recommend that, unless you're Roland and are actually healing them). There is a PvP mode of deathmatch but its not what you bought the game for.

Let's start with Steam
42a212c3617757ca87c3dff31ac56125a9700bc2_full.jpg

XBOX 360 MetaTag Second
(simply add the tag and view the friends list of the tag, only PA'ers have this tag added so you'll only play with PA'ers. Smart, yes?
PA Borderwangs

PSN NAME-O'S
(PM me if you want in on the list). Alright, it's PA forum names first and the PSN names. You better get the reference! *shakes fist*
Clayburn as Caerus
Doctor Fink as Doctor_Fink
John Zoidberg as Stiff_Ninja
Antihippy as Antiwhippy
Flo as mechaflo
Lord_Asmodeus as Lord_Asmodeu
DasUberEdward as EdwardTheThird
Shorn Scrotum Man as sojakfa
ElKaboom as himself
Bullfrogof7272 as himself
Johannen as himself
dantree as himself

SKILL TREES, MOTHER FUCKERS!

BRICK
LILITH
MORDECAI
ROLAND

BONUS!
And finally, a variant of this is in the game.
big08la2.jpg

Oh yes.
scoopa.jpg

"Keep away from guns that try to belittle your ambitions. Small guns always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

"Great works are performed, not by strength, but by great aim."

Big Classy on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so people playing on the 360 should add me

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Posting from the last thread:
    Klyka wrote: »
    You know what,fuck this I'm just gonna get the uncut 360 version either today or tomorrow.

Fucking 1 week wait for fucking PC fucking fucking grumble mumble....
    I cracked quickly yesterday as well, had to rent the game to vent some deep rooted need to loot things after shooting them in the face. I'm sure you all understand.

I am considering this as a varied support build for Roland- http://talent.87bazillion.com/soldier.php?053240023230510532500

I don't really want to max anything in lieu of getting a wider variety of benefits, but I think from what I've seen (16 Roland thus far) this build will be great for backing up whatever party I would end up in.

Edit: My templive name (since I don't have gold on my actual live account) is RoyalDanblaze. Feel free to add me I'm sure I'll be leveling my 16 Roland here in a bit.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm still clinging to hope that the UK pc version will switch unlock dates from 30th to 26th.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I miss the days where I could pay in US dollars for games on Steam. So cheap :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Need to find myself a pistol or revolver with corrosive and explosive bullets. Fire is great but the Moe and what ever quest was a pain because of it...that and the rakks flying up my ass.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm still clinging to hope that the UK pc version will switch unlock dates from 30th to 26th.

Don't count on it

I'm hoping my American gift version of Borderlands activates the 26th.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Need to find myself a pistol or revolver with corrosive and explosive bullets. Fire is great but the Moe and what ever quest was a pain because of it...that and the rakks flying up my ass.

Most shotguns deal wit Rakks quite easily.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Seriously, tomorrow. Or like seven hours if you want to count that way. Fuck this money management thing, I deserve some loot grinding stylized shooty fun.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alegis wrote: »

Don't count on it

Yeah I'm not holding out for that either.

I have to go to a stag do next weekend as well so I can't be shooting any mans. I will get to shoot some clay pigeons though so it kind of makes up for it. I might take some tape and random items to strap to the gun they give me so I can feel like I'm playing borderlands.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adda wrote: »

Don't count on it

I have to go to a stag do next weekend as well so I can't be shooting any mans. I will get to shoot some clay pigeons though so it kind of makes up for it. I might take some tape and random items to strap to the gun they give me so I can feel like I'm playing borderlands.

"Okay, I'll just take this spork... and this croquet mallet... and this tea cup. Voila! Melee damage x3 and corrosive damage!"

Galielmus on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So out of curiosity, is the split screen side by side or top and bottom? It likely won't matter for me since I doubt I can get my fiancee to play this with me, but I'm still curious. Widescreen TV if that makes any difference.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Side by side I think.

Was in the GT review anyways.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Galielmus wrote: »

Don't count on it

"Okay, I'll just take this spork... and this croquet mallet... and this tea cup. Voila! Melee damage x3 and corrosive damage!"

We are going to a country home so the croquet mallet and the tea cup are a definite possibility, sporks are a little low brow but I could stuff the barrell with the finest silverware!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    on a SD tv it's split on top of one another
    probably the other way for HD sets

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Galielmus wrote: »

Don't count on it

We are going to a country home so the croquet mallet and the tea cup are a definite possibility, sporks are a little low brow but I could stuff the barrell with the finest silverware!

Then it'd be + damage to werewolves!

...oh god I can't wait for that zombie expansion.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    so what are the chances they'll patch in a trade screen for online? i know dropping weapons works but sometimes i snatch up ammo i don't need and can't hand over.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so what are the chances they'll patch in a trade screen for online? i know dropping weapons works but sometimes i snatch up ammo i don't need and can't hand over.

does that ever remind me of diablo 1

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can I get invite to the steam group?

I cant wait to start playing this on pc, I got some time in on the 360 and this game is awesome.

I heard something was broke with lilliths shift and needs a patch, is that true?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For some reason I can't explain, Rakks freak me the fuck out.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, level 19 and still havn't found any sort of corrosive weapon!

And fuck elemental skags. Right in the face. Running three way co-op, all around level 16-18 and we did that Arena three round challenge. Last level we had to fight two level 19 Badass Fire Skags. My goddamn sniper rifle was the only thing that could damage them, and it's a white gun!

Also - I know it's probably been mentioned before, but, for anyone who fires me a game/party invite and I don't respond - it's not that I don't like you! It's just I'm probably running a four player co-op game.

Right now two of my buddies from home have this, so we run a three player co-op, but if I see someone shoot me a game invite, i'll fire one back in return in hopes it's just a dude looking to play, since then we can get a fourth person!

Loathing on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has anyone else noticed a trend of finding just the right weapon on your way to what would otherwise be an extremely tough fight? It's happened to me three times now.

Moe and Marley: x3 cold damage repeater with a huge ROF.

King Wee: 94 x9 shotgun (2 round clip, but who is going to hang out next to that guy?)

Rakk Hive: 394 x3, x4 fire damage rocket launcher.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I got this last night for Xbox. This game is pretty damn good. I made it to level 10, playing a soldier.

The guns are great, I love how the weapons feel unique not just re-skins. I really like the pace of fighting. I love how the fighting isn't based on dice rolls. I love how this game feeds my OCD of opening every container I come across, much like Fallout. But the containers in this game all have stuff in them, and they respawn! I like how my turret can hold aggro for me. I like how from what I've seen so far, the enemies will fight each other. Everyone doesn't just hate me, I'm looking at you Far Cry 2.

I haven't had a chance to play MP yet, still waiting on an acceptance from the metatag. I haven't made it to a point where I can try out the vehicles yet either. I can't wait to get off of work today, so I can play this all night. My wife won't be home til late, so I can get some solid quality time with this.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    robocop is bleedingrobocop is bleeding Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My favorite part of Fallout 3 was coming across a bridge-fort held by a bunch of Raiders and slowly clearing them out. Does Borderlands replicate that experience? That is, can I wander the wastes and fuck shit up as I see fit, running only when something bigger comes to fuck me up?

How's the single player? My schedule is so erratic that the chances of playing with friends is pretty low (which has kept me away from games like L4D). Reviews seem to focus on multiplayer.

robocop is bleeding on

Waitsing.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Loathing wrote: »
    Man, level 19 and still havn't found any sort of corrosive weapon!

And fuck elemental skags. Right in the face. Running three way co-op, all around level 16-18 and we did that Arena three round challenge. Last level we had to fight two level 19 Badass Fire Skags. My goddamn sniper rifle was the only thing that could damage them, and it's a white gun!

Also - I know it's probably been mentioned before, but, for anyone who fires me a game/party invite and I don't respond - it's not that I don't like you! It's just I'm probably running a four player co-op game.

Right now two of my buddies from home have this, so we run a three player co-op, but if I see someone shoot me a game invite, i'll fire one back in return in hopes it's just a dude looking to play, since then we can get a fourth person!

this was indeed a fucking hard mission. those fire skags can eat a dick.
    if we didn't have a siren i don't know who we would have beaten this shit.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    36.7% preloaded!

devoir on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of which, what is the best type of weapon to take fire skags down with?

At this point in the game (level 19), me and my friends have only found weapons that do normal/fire/shock/explosive, and no good explosive one's as it is. We still need to do the Moe and Whatshisface mission, and they kicked our ass last time.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My favorite part of Fallout 3 was coming across a bridge-fort held by a bunch of Raiders and slowly clearing them out. Does Borderlands replicate that experience? That is, can I wander the wastes and fuck shit up as I see fit, running only when something bigger comes to fuck me up?

How's the single player? My schedule is so erratic that the chances of playing with friends is pretty low (which has kept me away from games like L4D). Reviews seem to focus on multiplayer.
    There aren't really random enclaves of bandits, but any and all quest areas are already stocked with enemies before you get the quest. So you can be wandering around and killing things and still get XP and gear and such. When you later take the quest, the enemies seem to respawn. The various boxes and crates don't, though. At least not for a while.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed a trend of finding just the right weapon on your way to what would otherwise be an extremely tough fight? It's happened to me three times now.

Moe and Marley: x3 cold damage repeater with a huge ROF.

King Wee: 94 x9 shotgun (2 round clip, but who is going to hang out next to that guy?)

Rakk Hive: 394 x3, x4 fire damage rocket launcher.

I don't think I've played long enough to pick up on this. But I did notice when I was running low on 'nades or health, or ammo. The game would throw those items at me. So what you're seeing very well may be the case.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of which, what is the best type of weapon to take fire skags down with?

At this point in the game (level 19), me and my friends have only found weapons that do normal/fire/shock/explosive, and no good explosive one's as it is. We still need to do the Moe and Whatshisface mission, and they kicked our ass last time.

i'm not sure what weapon would be best, but as a berzerker when i see them i activate my punchy mode and start jabbing a ton. takes them down in a few good punches.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can you play splitscreen online with 2 other people over Live?

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I found a double shot repeater in the same area as Marley that was called "Cold Violence" or something like that. It tore him up.

My suggestion is to concentrate on killing one of them first, then combining fire on the other. I killed the fire guy, then just rocketed the other one over the course of several minutes until he died.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pacifist wrote: »
    Can you play splitscreen online with 2 other people over Live?

No.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks

Pacifist on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    multiplayer is so fun. So many of my friends got this and it's the whip.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know as enjoyable as my 360 Borderlands rental has been, it has made the wait for the proper steam release all that more difficult.

For anyone who is still holding out on purchasing Borderlands, what is wrong with you? Do you not like fun?

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    hopping online for 360 in about 5 minutes
    anyone wanna get a game going?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Jay you have the best timing this morning, not only did I send you a voice message as you logged off. But I just quit the game not 2 minutes ago with my now 17 Roland.

edit: Or maybe our bad timing combined into one large mass of bad timing.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't like WoW?

I'll admit the game looked cool as shit in the original Game Informer exclusive and don't get me wrong, the art direction is fine as is but I was really looking forward to the grim alien world that was shown in the magazine.

As it stands my buddy is going to let me borrow his GF rental over the weekend and I'll get some good time in before Forza 3, but it dropped off my purchase list once I saw some gameplay videos.

Pacifist on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We really are making this difficult for PC owners.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Jay you have the best timing this morning, not only did I send you a voice message as you logged off. But I just quit the game not 2 minutes ago with my now 17 Roland.

edit: Or maybe our bad timing combined into one large mass of bad timing.

nice. i feel like a dick. :lol:
    i was making breakfast man!

Local H Jay on
This discussion has been closed.