As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I require turn-based gaming!

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    METAzraeL wrote:
    plufim wrote:
    Freezie KO wrote:
    METAzraeL wrote:
    Fire Emblem love needed in here. Grab the first one for the GBA, or the GC one.

Okay, this is what I was going to say before I even knew this thread existed.

The cube one is definately my fave, and it has the advantage of a direct sequel coming for the wii later this year.

Plus, Nephenee is hot.

Hm, perhaps I should finish it then. I got sidetracked and never finished the GC one.

I recently had to start again because
    [spoiler:d21e315a78]I got to the second to last battle and had to use Mist - who I had never used in battle even once. Needless to say, I was very fucked.[/spoiler:d21e315a78]. Playing it through on hard though, and while it rapes hard, it's very satisfying when you get it right.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Fallout?

I would go with fallout (any of the pc ones).

Morkath on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i had a lot of fun with Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate back in the day, if youre a Warhammer fan check that out

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cronus wrote:
    If I wanted to get back into Worms, what one would I pick up to play against people online. Do any have them still have a vibrant online community?
    Worms Armageddon is still played quite a bit, as Team 17 have thrown out several patches over the past couple of years to improve XP compatibility and add a few new features. The last patch released was in January but we've been assured another is on the way.

Worms 4 and Worms World Party both came out after Armageddon. Is Armageddon the one that is still played or have people moved on to one of the other two?

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Some moved on to WWP, but most have moved back as Armageddon is still being patched where there haven't been any patches for WWP in ages. Worms 4 is a completely different kettle of fish - it's 3D for a start, sort of a cross between Worms and Hogs of War.

I'd say WA and W4M are your best bets until WWP is patched to bring it in line with WA.

Edit: Speaking of which, I've just been invited to a game of Worms 4 now, so off I go!

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you want some portable Worms, there's Open Warfare (Though only the PSP version is the good one), though I'd rather go with FFTA.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The GBA version of WWP is passable, too.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, I found a WA and W2 pack for $15 online which is cheaper then any prices for WA solely so, I'll probably get that. 3D Worms just doesn't sound very appealing. I guess I can't imagine that it would be as fun as the 2D version. Now, I'll have to try and get my skills back up so I can compete with all of you guys who have been playing for years. :wink:

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    Avoid SpikesAvoid Spikes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Itsatrap wrote:
    Finally, because they haven't been mentioned yet, take a look at Dominions 2 and Dominions 3. They won't appeal to everyone, but hey, more options.

Is Dominions 3 worth buying? I played through the demo, and I want to love it, but I can't quite decide whether I do or not. Is it a great game? Or just a really detailed spreadsheet with Apple ][ graphics?

Please advise.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Civ 2, Civ 4, SMAC. I never played Civ 3 much, but those other three games I've pumped probably over a thousand hours into combined, literally. They will consume your soul.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    ItsatrapItsatrap Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is Dominions 3 worth buying? I played through the demo, and I want to love it, but I can't quite decide whether I do or not. Is it a great game? Or just a really detailed spreadsheet with Apple ][ graphics?

Please advise.
    Er, the trouble is that it's so hit-or-miss that I can't *actually* recommend it, particularly because it's very fidgety about counting this and that. For me, it helps having friends who want to play it via PBEM.

Also, because I was recently reminded of how great it was, I'll throw in a plug for Shadow Watch. Console-wise, it's all about the GBA and DS strategy titles (like Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, etc.).
    Starting to play Gal Civ 2 has shown me just how awesome Civ 4 is.

WTH guys, a civlopedia rip off would have killed you?
    Psst! http://kynosarges.de/Galactopedia.html

Itsatrap on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you like Mechas and micro-management (and extreme frustration), Missionforce: Cyberstorm is just the thing you need. Phased combat on hexagonal grids, and you can customize just about everything on your Mechs, their weapons, armor, shields, powerplants, ore collectors, sensors, and so on. You even breed the pilots in vats and assign them to training. It's an absolutely wonderful game if you're into tinkering.

It's pretty old now, it was released in 96, but it's not horribly ugly or anything, and the interface is good. I just have no idea if there's any way to legally get a hold of it.

I've never finished it, the "invade alien base" missions just make me CRY.

edit: Found a place to buy it. Nine dolla: http://www.cdromusa.com/item.jsp?itemID=GA723B

Demo here: http://www.fileplanet.com/11494/10000/fileinfo/MissionForce:-CyberStorm

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Itsatrap wrote:
    Finally, because they haven't been mentioned yet, take a look at Dominions 2 and Dominions 3. They won't appeal to everyone, but hey, more options.

Please advise.

Going to have to vote "Maybe" as well.
    One the one hand, it's fucking awesome, but on the other, it costs $rape.
    Best play the Dom2 demo as well to see if you like the style.
    Seriously great multiplayer, though.

Allon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cronus wrote:
    Well, I found a WA and W2 pack for $15 online which is cheaper then any prices for WA solely so, I'll probably get that. 3D Worms just doesn't sound very appealing. I guess I can't imagine that it would be as fun as the 2D version. Now, I'll have to try and get my skills back up so I can compete with all of you guys who have been playing for years. :wink:
    Once you've got it let me know. I will destroy you and everything you hold dear.

(Interesting sidenote: Here in the UK you can pick up Worms 2, Worms Armageddon, Worms World Party and Worms3D for the total cost of £10 thanks to Sold Out Software. They re-released W2 and WA as a bundle pack for £5, released WWP on its own for £5, and have recently re-released Worms3D for £5. But they always do Buy Two Get the Third Free. Not bad, eh?)

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It was mentioned already, but Front Mission 3 and 4 are both very fun mech SRPGs. 3 takes more battlefield tactics, but 4 takes more planning tactics (if that makes any sense). Also, the battles in 4 tend to be longer, so you might actually run out of ammunition. Shields are pretty useless if 4, so if a good defense is your thing, try 3 instead. Also, 4 has linked attacks which are awesome if pulled off properly. Just don't buy sniping in 4. It's stupid and broken.

To wast time at work, there's always Dice Wars. Sort of a Risk-like except the units are dice and troop placement is random. If you want to play with other people, kdice is good, too.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you have a DS, Age of Empires is very good and only $20. (The DS incarnation is based on Age of Kings, but it's a TBS, not RTS.) It's giving me my turned based fix until Panzer Tactics comes out.

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    panzer tactics is going to rule so hard, i cant wait. i should boot up panzer general 2 sometime, i wonder if i can lay hands on my disc.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GBA - Rebelstar

Its basically portable X-Com.

solsovly on
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned Laser Squad Nemesis?

http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/

it's from the creators of X-Com and online-multiplayer... but turnbased (email)

i was pretty addicted to it once and still can feel the urge to return... anyone playing it?

solsovly: i think rebelstar is the GBA Version of LSN. I'd love to get a DS version with wifi support...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:
    What's good on the TBS front? I tried GalCiv 2 for a bit when it was released, but all games pretty much started the same way - rush to expand until you bump into your neighbors, and hope you expanded in the direction of the good stuff.

Any other recommendations? I'm bored. :|

For PS2 they had two Dynasty Tactics games. I thought those were fun turn based strategy games.

I'm also playing through Fallout Tactics right now, and I'd also recommend the Fallout series in general (I think it was mentioned already at one point).

Ardor on
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yotes wrote:
    If you like Mechas and micro-management (and extreme frustration), Missionforce: Cyberstorm is just the thing you need. Phased combat on hexagonal grids, and you can customize just about everything on your Mechs, their weapons, armor, shields, powerplants, ore collectors, sensors, and so on. You even breed the pilots in vats and assign them to training. It's an absolutely wonderful game if you're into tinkering.

It's pretty old now, it was released in 96, but it's not horribly ugly or anything, and the interface is good. I just have no idea if there's any way to legally get a hold of it.

edit: Found a place to buy it. Nine dolla: http://www.cdromusa.com/item.jsp?itemID=GA723B

Demo here: http://www.fileplanet.com/11494/10000/fileinfo/MissionForce:-CyberStorm

I loved this game. DO NOT get the sequel though. They made a cyberstorm 2, and I thought it was HORRIBLE. They made it pseudo realtime and it completely ruined all the gameplay mechanics that made the original so awesome.

The strategy in the original was all about being able to cut through shields AND armor effectively in one combat force. Doing this right was all about precise timing, which was only fun in turn based.

I finished the game because of a minor AI glitch.

[spoiler:ee1f95f623]It's been awhile, but as I recall I used HUUUUGE range missile mechs with SUUUPER fast scouts so I could run them out, fire all the missiles and run them back. The AI could not properly combat this.[/spoiler:ee1f95f623]

It was a ver hard game though, and this mostly evened the odds for me and made it wonderfully enjoyable.

I loved that game.

Would love to get that thing working on a cheap laptop. My copy is lost somewhere at my old house.

Smudge on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Smudge wrote:
    yotes wrote:

I loved this game. DO NOT get the sequel though. They made a cyberstorm 2, and I thought it was HORRIBLE. They made it pseudo realtime and it completely ruined all the gameplay mechanics that made the original so awesome.

The strategy in the original was all about being able to cut through shields AND armor effectively in one combat force. Doing this right was all about precise timing, which was only fun in turn based.

I finished the game because of a minor AI glitch.

[spoiler:2f18129427]It's been awhile, but as I recall I used HUUUUGE range missile mechs with SUUUPER fast scouts so I could run them out, fire all the missiles and run them back. The AI could not properly combat this.[/spoiler:2f18129427]

It was a ver hard game though, and this mostly evened the odds for me and made it wonderfully enjoyable.

I loved that game.

Would love to get that thing working on a cheap laptop. My copy is lost somewhere at my old house.

It's in the Starsiege universe as well.

<3

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ItsatrapItsatrap Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GBA Rebelstar is so-so. It's worth a try if you can find it cheap (<$10), but it doesn't stack up against classics like Advance Wars.

The Fallout games do indeed have turn-based combat, but they're more about your character build and equipment than anything else. Also, Fallout Tactics was clearly designed with real-time mode in mind, and turn-based mode feels like an afterthought.

Itsatrap on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A note on Cyberstorm: The first campaign is REALLY hard, and a lot of fun as a result. The other two are too easy based on equipment upgrades, at least in comparison to the first one.

I really like two civil war games: the first is Sierra's (Robert E. Lee:) Civil War Generals 2. The best tactical civil war game around.

I have also been into old, old No Greater Glory which is EGA strategic ivil war stuff that has an awesome level of abstraction.

Matrix just put out Forge of Freedom, but I think it is ultimately a more frustrating than rewarding experience. Similarly, War in the Pacific is too big and too unwieldy to really enjoy -- there's too great a time lag between when you start something and when you finish it to feel that you can manage strategy.

The Operational Art of War 3 is FANTASTIC and you should buy it, however.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Saiyuki: Journey West for PSX.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd like to toss in a vote for Dominions 3. Even though it can be kinda intimidating at first, it really pays off. It's the deepest, most complex game I've ever played and thus the most rewarding. Took a while to learn, then a while more to REALLY learn but it was fun all the way. And when I tought I had the game pretty much covered, I finaly got myself in a PBEM-game and got my ass handed to me. Human opponents are so unpredictable in Dom3 because of all the different ways to play it...

My friend has been playing the series since the release of Dom2 (five years ago) and he still manages to find new things to try. Single player is entertaining for a long time because there's just so much stuff to try out, and when it starts to lose its shine you can easily join one of the multiplayer games in the forums. There's even newbie-games every once in a while to get you started.

- Actual strategy involving troop supply, logistics and stuff
    - Shitload of stuff and units (over 1500 units, 600 spells and 300 magic items says wikipedia)
    - Innovative combat system and simultaneous turns makes traditional multiplayer smooth to play, and e-mail games work
    - Great variety of nations and styles to play with them. Does an Aztec-style nation that is based on human sacrifice sound good? Or a necromancy-corrupted Rome? Or a feudal kingdom run by religious fanatics and the iron fist of the inquisition?
    - Endless oppoturnities. Nation lacks stealth troops? Summon some. Nation without archers? Hire from independent provinces. Enemy using nasty über-combatants? Zerg with cheap mages. Enemy ice-armored troops? Punch the heat up with fire spells.
    - Active community that produces new mods, nations and maps
    - Active multiplayer community

It has it's weaknesses though, and it's not the best looking game but hey, at least it's a lot less excel than Master of Orion III.

Also a vote for Silent Storm. The best damn squad-based strategy there is, until Jagged Alliance 3 comes along (uses a new version of the same engine!)

Elos on
  • Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Does anyone play Catan on XBL? (or tabletop?)

I discovered Settlers on Thanksgiving, and quite literally can't stop playing it in either venue. Good turn based game.

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    solsovly wrote: »
    GBA - Rebelstar

Its basically portable X-Com.

Hardly. Rebelstar may look like X-Com but it is nowhere near as good as X-Com.

Edit: Anybody know when and if Panzer Tactics is going to hit northern europe?

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    TheMadjai wrote: »
    Does anyone play Catan on XBL? (or tabletop?)

I discovered Settlers on Thanksgiving, and quite literally can't stop playing it in either venue. Good turn based game.

I actually played a good few games of Settlers over Christmas, the actual real kind, not 360 kind (played it before too, but not in a while). I now wish the 360 version had some layout customisation options, as I had a really good idea for a layout that just needed some tweaking.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    kaliyama wrote: »
    A note on Cyberstorm: The first campaign is REALLY hard, and a lot of fun as a result. The other two are too easy based on equipment upgrades, at least in comparison to the first one.
    I think the first one is easy, too, insofar as it lets you dick around as long as you want doing cakewalk missions to build up cash. And at the highest difficulty you won't get anywhere unless you do at least some. I'm surprised that anyone thought the game was hard, unless they just rushed for the base attack missions.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Good suggestions so far, just like to reaffirm a couple classics:

Jagged Alliance 2: Awesome squad based game.
    Alpha Centauri: My favorite 4X globebased game. Beats out Civ4 and Civ2, albeit barely
    SRPGs: like Disgaea and FFT are great for portable gaming.

One game that I havent seen mentioned is one I immediately thought of when you said you had been playing Gal Civ 2: Space Empires 4 Gold.

Seriously, SE4:G is, IMO, the greatest 4x space game ever. Its a bit more complex than Gal Civ, but that complexity comes with the added benifit of having more control over your units.

Want to make small missile ships that zip around? You can do that.
    What to make giant "fuck-you" dreadnoughts with weapons that destroy entire systems? You can do that.
    Want to make a giant base out of a star? You can do that.
    Want to enslave enemy civilizations? You can do that.
    Want to just blow up enemy planets? You can do that.
    Want to defend far away colonies with a defense network of Defense Satilites and minefields? You can do that.
    Want to make giant carrier ships that release swarms of fighters? You can do that.

Do you want to control ever aspect of your empire? You can do that.

Fuck, now I gotta go play it again.

Basically, think of what you want to do.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd recommend the expansion to GalCiv 2, it's different enough from the base game to be mentionable. There are planets with different environments that require technologies to colonize and use to full effectiveness, asteroid belts to mine, and revamped espionage -- it's a real improvement and makes the early game more interesting and different. Sometimes the best planets are left untouched for a long time.

Also, I'm chiming in with everyone recommending Civ IV. Actually, get Civ IV and its expansion, Beyond the Sword. <3 NOT Warlords. Seriously, not Warlords.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't remember writing that post of mine earlier in this thread, but whatever, I'll pop back in for a couple more recommendations.

First since it's the first turn based racing game I've stumbled across online here is Darkwind if you don't mind using pre-made vehicles and just participating in the hourly (or so) races they have lined up throughout the day, you can play for free. It's pretty neat and may be worth checking out just because it's different.

Second is Titans of Steel: Warring Suns. I love mechs, and I love turnbased games, and this has them both. It's very graphically old school like steel panthers and such but it's fairly in depth, with the way your mech can be torn apart or crippled or your pilot gets knocked out etc. I've never gotten to play this multi with someone, and that makes me a very sad robo jockey.

Also, shout out to Steel Panthers, best war game ever.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't remember writing that post of mine earlier in this thread, but whatever, I'll pop back in for a couple more recommendations.

Probably because this thread is a year old. I didn't remember my posts either until I saw them.

subedii on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I always enjoyed the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, 8 (PS2) being my favorite from the series.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Elos wrote: »
    I'd like to toss in a vote for Dominions 3. Even though it can be kinda intimidating at first, it really pays off. It's the deepest, most complex game I've ever played and thus the most rewarding. Took a while to learn, then a while more to REALLY learn but it was fun all the way. And when I tought I had the game pretty much covered, I finaly got myself in a PBEM-game and got my ass handed to me. Human opponents are so unpredictable in Dom3 because of all the different ways to play it...

I downloaded the demo for this a while back (or maybe it was 2) and felt like I was taking a quantum mechanics course in cuneiform. I suppose it might have helped if I had a manual or whatever. I really find myself tempted to buy the 3rd one and delve into its mysteries...a quick scan at the forums leads me to believe that there's a mother lode of goodness there.

Plus, I glean that you can basically play as Lovercraftian monsters, and that's good.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fire Emblem. Get the GBA one if you can. I like the Gamecube one a lot, too, but I haven't finished it yet.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I could never get into the Galactic Civilizations games because playing them just made me pine for MOO2

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    warhammer 40k chaos gate if you dont mind retro gaming.

heroes of might and magic is a good 9-12 month waster, dont play #4, 3 is awesome, 5 is good.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I will third Battle for Wesnoth (free game linked earlier). It's so good.

Gametap has HoMM 3.

Ghandi 2 on