As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Office thread: Shove it up your butt!

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Meh it was ok. Most of Jims messing with Dwight ideas actually made the event memorable. Especially the grande finale. I liked bringing up Andy's family because we had learned in the past that he was originally named after his dad, but when they had a second son, they renamed him. So its nice to see this relationship play out a bit more.

616610-1.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    southwick wrote:
    So has the show now "officially" jumped the shark?
    Jim actually writing an entire book, getting it published, and Dwight conveniently buying it, just so Jim can trickington Dwight?
    The entire office for some reason still being complete jerks to Andy after he did the whole tattoo thing,
    Darrel discounting Andy after Andy helping him out last episode.
    Dwights cousin for some unexplained reason parking Tobey's car in a field in a completely different spot than everyone else's.

It feels like they have run out of ideas, or at least good ones.

He parked Toby's car out in the middle of no where. Cause he hates Toby. Because Dwight hates Toby. Because everyone hates Toby.

That's the joke.

That's a joke going back to season one episode one.

First episode you ever seen?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    southwick wrote:
    So has the show now "officially" jumped the shark?
    Jim actually writing an entire book, getting it published, and Dwight conveniently buying it, just so Jim can trickington Dwight?
    The entire office for some reason still being complete jerks to Andy after he did the whole tattoo thing,
    Darrel discounting Andy after Andy helping him out last episode.
    Dwights cousin for some unexplained reason parking Tobey's car in a field in a completely different spot than everyone else's.

It feels like they have run out of ideas, or at least good ones.

He parked Toby's car out in the middle of no where. Cause he hates Toby. Because Dwight hates Toby. Because everyone hates Toby.

That's the joke.

That's a joke going back to season one episode one.

First episode you ever seen?

I've seen every episode, and the only person who has actively shown a dislike of Toby was Michael. Everyone else practically ignores him.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    When Jim took over the office for a day, he started hating Toby but that was just part of him turning into Michael. I was a bit confused about putting Toby's car there too.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I thought it was just part of him dicking around with the cars. I didn't think he left it there in the field: I assumed he probably brought it over with the rest for his scooter long jump attempt (I didn't examine them closely enough to know for sure) and he probably did as much weird shit with the other cars as he could without damaging them.

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    So does no one care that Andy's parents were completely retconned? They were in the episode where Andy proposed to Angela a few seasons ago, and if I remember correctly, his dad was more or less just like Andy (and a different actor).

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I thought the last episode was a little too awkward to watch, and it didn't seem to have as many funny moments. Except for the end. That was classic Jim and Dwight.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Catherine Tate is coming back, as well!

This is probably the end of the office for me. Thanks for the memories, fella.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    get back here
    no one said you could leave

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    She is comedy poison.

She was without question the worst guest on the finale.

And the show is already getting so, so bad.

I really thought they could pull this off, but it does not seem to be the case.

• SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Her being manager would probably create a funnier dynamic than Andy at this point.

I didn't mention it, but they're bringing her in as another character from corporate.

It sounds like she might rotate with James Spader. But I guess if they needed to, they could also drop Andy back down after awhile and make her manager instead.

Honestly, that might make me give the show a try again. But Andy manager + Catherine Tate awfulness = no go.

I love Robert California, but Andy is totally insufferable now when he's constantly reacting to him.

It's hard to believe this show was good once, because it's just so mean spirited now, and when it's not it's just horribly bland.

edited October 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    I love Robert California, but Andy is totally insufferable now when he's constantly reacting to him.

It's hard to believe this show was good once, because it's just so mean spirited now, and when it's not it's just horribly bland.

Pretty much. California is great, but it sucks that almost every episode so far has Andy being a huge prick to everyone in a vain attempt to impress him.

SarcasmoBlaster on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oscar decided to dress up this year.

I wish I could save Erin and whisk her away to Greendale and just board up the office and keep them in there. California can leave too.

edited October 2011
    This is a train wreck.

Edit: Except for Robert California.

HadjiQuest on
    This show is not very good anymore.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Erin raises some interesting questions about the ethics of dating the mentally disabled.

But the only good thing about the episode was Robert California's ghost story.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    Oscar decided to dress up this year.

I wish I could save Erin and whisk her away to Greendale and just board up the office and keep them in there. California can leave too.

She's probably one of the few Derrick Comedy stars who hasn't cameo'd.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I wish they'd grant intelligence to Kevin and Erin. I'm not saying either one has to be geniuses, but at least let me believe they graduated from high school and are able to function outside of the office without a handler.

That and every episode's setup is Andy freaking out for California.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think I'm done with this series now. It was just, what the heck was that? Jim went full retard at the end.

It was fun while it lasted, closing time, you don't have to go home but you can't. stay. here.

It was much better than last week's episode, but the quality has still fallen off a cliff this season.

• gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I didn't even get why we were supposed to not want that e-mail sent out. The entire time I thought the plot was going to be how they pulled it together to not be total fucking idiots for one damn day. But they couldn't, and then everyone whined about like babies.

At that point I was like, yeah, they all deserve to get fired.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I kind of wish they had a normal president again. Wallace was a good foil for Michael, and the presence of a fairly mundane corporate hierarchy above Scranton's boss helped ground the show so that it couldn't get too absurd.

And remember when, at the end of the Office Olympics, everyone tosses their medals away and just goes back to work? The show was a lot more interesting when the more whimsical elements were balanced out by soul-crushing drudgery. It made the characters more relatable, allowed for the possibility of actual tension rather than overblown drama (like when everyone has to worry about a doomsday device), and prevented the show from becoming a typical workplace sitcom.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    The show had a brief resurgence the first time Holly came along, then went downhill ever since.

The problem is that no one is likable. They worked too hard to get laughs at the expense of the characters.

Remember when Ryan was the straight man? Now he's a cocaine addict douche.

There's no one one you can cheer for.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I guess I like Darrell some of the time...

but yeah you're right.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I think I disagree. I just recently watched a syndicated episode toward the end of Steve Carell's run, and I have to say that there is a significant shift of the dynamic since Michael Scott has left. The character had become an utter cartoon, and completely unlikeable, and incompetent to the point of incredulity.

Now, the office runs much more smoothly and the plots are based around the dynamic of the group and the workplace, not whatever crazy shit Michael is going to do. I think Darrell, Andy, Jim, Pam, and Erin, and Creed are all still likeable, and the show actually works better without Michael Scott.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I was starting to lose hope but the last two episodes kind of restored my faith a little. I'm still wondering where they're taking things this season but I'm holding out for a bit longer.

I won't be surprised if things end this season though. And Andy needs to man the fuck up.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    So the drummer Robert California brought in; was that the drummer from the 'wrong gig' youtube video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I thought the exact same thing. He looks different, but the moves are identical. If it's someone else it had so be an intentional imitation.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Same guy. Terrible episode.

• TheSultanTheSultan Registered User regular
    This episode reminded me about that other new girl they brought in...Jordan. Whatever happened to her, did she just disappear without explanation?

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    she's probably whereever Timothy Olyphant is

Joolander on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Erin. Ugh.

You've already got Kevin to get idiot humor, writers. Stop drawing from the stupid well.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    That was a bit of a fake-out with Jim towards the end. Kinda thought they were going to introduce a somewhat interesting storyline idea. Guess not.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I was wondering where I'd seen drumming like that before.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    I enjoy the show still. It makes me laugh.

sig-1.jpg
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I enjoy the show still. It makes me laugh.

Same. Enjoying non Micheal office better than the over the top crap they had with Micheal over the last few seasons.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    I think I disagree. I just recently watched a syndicated episode toward the end of Steve Carell's run, and I have to say that there is a significant shift of the dynamic since Michael Scott has left. The character had become an utter cartoon, and completely unlikeable, and incompetent to the point of incredulity.

Now, the office runs much more smoothly and the plots are based around the dynamic of the group and the workplace, not whatever crazy shit Michael is going to do. I think Darrell, Andy, Jim, Pam, and Erin, and Creed are all still likeable, and the show actually works better without Michael Scott.

Agreed. Without Michael around threatening to steer Dunder Mifflin into a proverbial iceberg every episode they've really had to work hard to manufacture conflict, which is why we've ended up with "Andy wants to impress Robert California" as the driving force behind almost every episode this season.

Plus, Andy makes a poor replacement for Michael because he's not as unlikable, incompetent, and certainly not as selfish as Michael. When the office rallies around him, it's not because he's an idiot and he's going to cause them all to lose their jobs if they don't, it's because he's sort of sad and pathetic. That's obviously a much less humorous dynamic.

Hate Gabe

so much