As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Office thread: Shove it up your butt!

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Kevin's list:
    1. ????
    2. MARKER-PHONE
    3. PHONE-MARKER
    4. STAPLER-MARKER
    5. STAIRS-MAN
    6. HUMAN LADY-CHAIR

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I thought the cold open last night was pretty great

I'm starting to care less and less about the rest of it though. What actually happened this episode? Nothing?

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I always love the fact that apparently this office can just take off anytime they want during a work day without worrying about producitivty or customers. Spur of the moment even.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I was expecting California to be slightly pissed at the lack of half the staff, buuuuut I guess not

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think California didn't care because it was a retreat type thing. In my experience, you can get away with a lot if it can be chalked up to "team building".

I loved this episode though, it was a little thin on plot but I liked that someone finally laid it out to Andy about the staff supporting him (maybe this means we can stop having ANDY FEELS INADEQUATE episodes?). I loved Kevin being Kevin and California thinking he's actually being a genius. And Gaberaham Lincoln was just amazing.

Lh96QHG.png
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I thought the cold open last night was pretty great

I'm starting to care less and less about the rest of it though. What actually happened this episode? Nothing?

I hated it. It felt like something Jim and Pam would have never done just a couple seasons ago but apparently they're total assholes now so it's supposed to be ok.

I don't know how much longer I can keep watching this show.

gorillaSig.jpg
    Really? It felt like the kind of thing they would totally do, to me at least. I can't really think of any specific instances but... well wait, Pam skipped out on work to go to a movie last season.

I'm sure there are other instances but Pam/Jim using the labour excuse to get out of things is not, to me, that far out of what they would do.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Yeah, didn't Jim fake a meeting with a client to skip out of work early a season or two ago? And then immediately screwed Dwight out of pulling the same move?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't think it was out of character at all. And really, if you could get out of those meetings, wouldn't you?

I mean, Jim and Pam have gotten more insular but that's pretty accurate for young couples who are squeezing out kids. And it's funnier that they thought they could keep getting away with it. Maybe season 3 Jim and Pam wouldn't have done that, but season 3 Andy wouldn't be manager.

Lh96QHG.png
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I liked the way she used it on Ryan. The look on his face as he's trying to figure out how to call her on it, and the look on her face as she's daring him to call her on it? Priceless.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    It just seems like they were being jerks about it, and that's probably my biggest problem with the show aside from it rarely being funny any more.

Before, everyone was either a jerk or an idiot, except Jim and Pam. And, so, you could relate to them and root for them even when other characters were being annoying. But now, there are no exceptions to the "jerk or idiot" categories, and I really hate it.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Well the problem is, Jim and Pam used to be likable and you used to root for them to get together. But, the writers needed a way to keep them interesting once they got together. And for a while it was the big relationship milestones. But now that that is over, they have to kind of use what they have. And what they have is the fact that everyone sort of hates couples that rub their coupleness in folks faces.

Im married, and I have a buddy who is dating a girl and my eyes roll so hard sometimes when they are around. One time when my other friends went out for a smoke, it was just me and them at a table and the two were playing footsie. Fucking footsie, they have dated for a year and are 26. Im trying to talk to them and hold a conversation, meanwhile they are giggling and shifting in their chairs. The next smoke break? I went outside and passionately enhaled second hand smoke with the dreams of it killing me so I wouldn't have to take another second of being alone with those two.

So the writers have done a good job of working with what they have.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The Gabe-Abraham bit made me like Gabe just a little bit, which I didn't think was going to be possible.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I find that they're trying to shift the show to be more like Parks and Recreation but it just isn't working. Like others have said, the show is just too ridiculous right now. It used to be that characters had a certain trait about them but all in all they were pretty normal (ie: Kevin is kind of slow but other than that is pretty normal). Now they've flipped that on its head and the characters are defined completely by their weirdness (ie: Kevin is now full-blown mentally handicapped).

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah, remember when Amy Ryan first showed up and Dwight pranked her to believe that Kevin was mentally handicapped?

They can't even do that joke now.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Its a problem almost all TV shows run into. You give characters funny traits, but then you sort of run into the problem of running out of funny stuff to do with those traits. So you have to make those traits bigger and more ridiculous until the character becomes a sort of characterture of themselves .

I believe tvtropes defines this as flanderization. I will not link it.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    see: Scrubs

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    It's especially bad with The Office because, unlike most sitcoms, it started off trying to capture the banality and despair of a real-life office. It's not just a drop in quality, but a deviation from its premise and a major source of its appeal.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    ARRRGHHHH

What is the point of this episode!?

Why am I still watching this show!?

Edit: I have a weakness for near-non-sequitors.
    I am going to make you the buffest dude Val Kilmer has ever seen!

HadjiQuest on
    On the other hand, I was quite happy to see some kind of plot development started. Andy may find love after all.

I think this episode was pretty good, left us with a bit of a mystery.

I hope it's a red herring, though. I don't think Andy would be the kind of have an affair (also, he's got his over 30 dates lady out there). It might be funny to see an episode where Andy thinks he's in an affair and it gets weird, but that seems more like something Michael would do.

Lh96QHG.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Well, there was that hilarious bit when he thought his cousin was flirting with him. Doesn't seem too out of character.

But that's a bit different than dating his boss's wife and I don't think the implication was that he was getting all Alabama on that.

Lh96QHG.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just meant that it would be funny and in character for him to think there's something going on and stressing out about it when she's actually just saying "hi."

Exactly, I would love to see that episode.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
    Isn't it? Or are you just part of the problem?

Lh96QHG.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    What is this show now? I haven't seen the last few, but it feels so slapstick now, even the warehouse people seem like caricatures.

TexiKen on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I think I'd care more about this episode and arc if Erin wasn't so creepy.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited December 2011
    I don't like what's happening with Erin.

I'm kind of afraid that something awful is going to happen before this episode ends.

Edit: And less than two minutes later, there it is!

HadjiQuest on
    edited December 2011
    OK, I'm even more afraid right now

Edit: It was pretty gross that they kept
    Pairing Robert and Erin to make you think something really disgusting was going to happen between them

It was so gross that I couldn't even believe it, and it seemed to be dropped by the middle of the episode, but then when it came up again out of nowhere at the end, and even Andy thought so, I was pretty alarmed.

If that had happened, I'd seriously walk away from this show. Pretty much the only reason I haven't already is because Thursday is my big TV night, and the Office fills part of the gap until Beavis and Butthead.

HadjiQuest on
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This show has gone from funny awkward to just bad awkward.

EDIT: Remember when Michael tried to kiss Pam? Remember how much funnier it was than Robert (potentially) kissing Erin. Ugh, this show. If another network actually put something good in this slot then I'd be out.

SarcasmoBlaster on
    I don't think it was meant to be funny.
    I also don't think that Robert was putting the moves on her, although I'm expecting to be wrong on this one.

The Jim/Dwight stuff was amazing though and I'm really digging on the Daryl/Val story line.

The Trans Siberian Orchestra montage was fantastic, especially the air band. That kinda shit happens at parties all the time.

None of the characters were acting like caricatures of themselves. Even Kevin was normalstupid instead of Kevinstupid. And Erin's drunken escalation was right on the money with how people act in that situation. Especially if they aren't big drinkers (which I can't imagine Erin is).

Lh96QHG.png
    Hey look guys a trivia contest tonight

They must really be running out of ideas

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I don't know, they had some good lines in tonight.

"Oh, Gabe. I love you. You're an American Classic." made me cackle for a while.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I must say that was the most enjoyable episode in a long time. Dwight felt much less flanderised than normal. Trivia night wasn't that great, and more than a little contrived. That bit where they split off in teams was really harsh on Kevin, I kind of hoped at the end he'd keep the $1000 for the team, not the office.

Still not sure why I carry on watching this.

What? This episode was great. You listed the reasons why it was great and then wondered why you keep watching...

Also, none of the teams except Oscar would've kept the money. They specifically went in to win it for the office.

Bigger question: how is buying paper from yourself not illegal? I know Dwight did it in an earlier season (each year he uses his bonus to buy more paper from himself, leading to a bigger bonus and more paper the following year. Eventually he'll get a bonus so big he can retire and use the paper to write his memoirs). But it still seems fishy.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    My point is that 'The Office' started out as a mockumentary looking at the little dramas, trivialities and nonsensical situations that arise in the daily life of an office.

It has since mutated into something altogether different, much more along the lines of a traditional sitcom in which the characters are greatly exaggerated and there's some sort of event of the week, generally not even involving the office any more.

My point is that 'The Office' started out as a mockumentary looking at the little dramas, trivialities and nonsensical situations that arise in the daily life of an office.

It has since mutated into something altogether different, much more along the lines of a traditional sitcom in which the characters are greatly exaggerated and there's some sort of event of the week, generally not even involving the office any more.

Fair enough.

Lh96QHG.png
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    What? This episode was great. You listed the reasons why it was great and then wondered why you keep watching...

Also, none of the teams except Oscar would've kept the money. They specifically went in to win it for the office.

Bigger question: how is buying paper from yourself not illegal? I know Dwight did it in an earlier season (each year he uses his bonus to buy more paper from himself, leading to a bigger bonus and more paper the following year. Eventually he'll get a bonus so big he can retire and use the paper to write his memoirs). But it still seems fishy.

Why would that be illegal? Andy was buying it with his own money, not the companies. He said he was hoping he'd be able to sell the paper after he met the target so he could recoup his losses.