As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EU: Telecoms package, HADOPI on[RIP Internet, welcome WWW] - OP Update

zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Update 13/04:
We really, really need official net neutrality in Europe:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/8f5d6128-4400-11df-9235-00144feab49a.html

Quote highlights:
César Alierta, chairman of Telefónica, said Google should share some of its online advertising revenue with the telecoms groups, so as to compensate the network operators for carrying the technology company’s bandwidth-hungry content over their infrastructure....
“These guys [Google] are using the networks and they don’t pay anybody,” he said.
“There is not a single Google service that is not reliant on network service,” he said. “We cannot offer our networks for free.”...

“Let’s see the development of digital society in terms of the winners and the victims. And today, there is a winner who is Google. There are victims that are content providers, and to a certain extent, network operators. We cannot accept this.”

Rarely does one see such blatant attempts to mislead and influence the public and the legislature.
Google being a US company, the EU is absolutely able to go ahead with this as well.
tl;dr: ISP's misrepresent how peering agreements work, who their clients are and claim they'll pretty much try to force legislators to award them money from google.

OLD OP:

Remember that sensible French 3 strikes policy that has been mentioned in numerous ISP or IP threads and that I have said numerous times would be slapped down by the EU Commission? Well, I was badly, badly wrong.

The EU decided that changing this:
applying the principle that no restriction may be imposed on the fundamental rights and freedoms of end-users without a prior ruling of the judicial authorities, notably in accordance with Article 11 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union on freedom of expression and information, save when public security is threatened, in which case the ruling may be subsequent.

into this:
"Any such measures liable to restrict those fundamental rights or freedoms may only be taken in exceptional circumstances and imposed if they are necessary, appopriate and proportionate within a democratic society, and shall be subject to adequate procedural safeguards in conformity with the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and with general principles of Community law, including effective judicial protection and due process.

In particular, any measures may only be adopted as a result of a prior, fair and impartial procedure ensuring inter alia that the principle of presumption of innocence and the right to be heard of the person or persons concerned be fully respected. Furthermore, the right to an effective and timely judicial review shall be guaranteed."

(clue, post hoc due process is no due process)

If we need an article, here is an 11 page paper on the Telecoms Package here (including analysis of the original Amendment as it was published before the parliament caved in).

The Telecoms Package - a licence to chill
Written by Monica Horten
Sep 06, 2009 at 12:12 AM

How far does the Telecoms Package represent a licence to chill? And will the European Parliament adhere to its principles to protect free speech on the Internet? That is the challenge for the European Parliament in the Third Reading of the Telecoms Package. This re-work of my previously-published article, explores these issues.

With a few simple words, "conditions limiting access to and/or use of services and applications" the Telecoms Package reverses the users' right to freely communicate in cyberspace, and turns it into an operator's right to impose restrictions.

The Telecoms Package establishes the rules for network operators in the EU. Those "conditions" mean that the operators may, at their own discretion, block the use of applications and services, which could include Skype, peer-to-peer file-sharing, and any other website, service or protocol.

Such restrictions on Internet use are already applied by some operators. The choice is being made for commercial purposes, or because the operator is subject to litigation by third parties. It is independent of requirements to manage the network, and is carried out without consulting the users as to their needs.

Moreover, the Telecoms Package contains provisions which establish the legal foundation at EU level for government measures restricting the Internet for political purposes. Those purposes may include enforcement of copyright. However, the true extent of the intentions for blocking is unknown.

The issues are outlined in this paper, which is a re-work of an article I published on iptegrity.com earlier this year. The revisions take account of new information and discussion in more detail the issues related to freedom of speech.

The main reason for the change were those folks that say "ze" instead of "the" and those other folks on the Island. Hell, yeah, Go EUROPE! I guess.
Discussion points: How awesome French food is, how very soon we may see service tiered network connections in Europe, how cool English bulldogs are and how backwards retarded sanctioning without judicial oversight is.

zeeny on

• Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have the Hadopi laws even passed in France though? Last I heard the Constitutional ... um, people (forgot what it's called) have not given it the seal of approval.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Have the Hadopi laws even passed in France though? Last I heard the Constitutional ... um, people (forgot what it's called) have not given it the seal of approval.

Yes, yesterday it was effectively confirmed.

Edit: http://www.lemonde.fr/technologies/article/2009/10/22/hadopi-2-le-dispositif-de-base-est-preserve-par-le-conseil-constitutionnel_1257627_651865.html

I'm so sad by the coverage msm is giving to the Telecoms package, I'm going to cry. In all languages you get the same "press release" about the positive fight against "pirates" and how allowing governments the flexibility to manage internet connectivity without the intervention of the judiciary is a good thing. Seriously, wtf is this shit.
    Biggest propaganda machine in the world, the EU;o(

zeeny on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hrmph. Lame.

So to recap,

• France passes Hadopi three strikes laws for good.
    • The EU, which once had portrayed internet access as a "human right," backs off and allows such laws.

Are any other countries about to pass three strikes laws? I know New Zealand had a brush with them a while ago.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hrmph. Lame.

So to recap,

• The EU, which once had portrayed internet access as a "human right," backs off and allows such laws.

Are any other countries about to pass three strikes laws? I know New Zealand had a brush with them a while ago.

UK will pass one within 12 months.
    Germany and the whole ex-Eastern block would follow as soon as they can draft it.
    The thing is, the Telecoms package was a serious slap to the customer/citizen anyway. It pretty much says "If you're an ISP, you do whatever the fuck you want with virtually no oversight.". Instead of establishing net neutrality, they approved black on white anti-net neutrality actions.

Edit:
    from the linked paper:
    “This Directive neither mandates nor prohibits conditions, imposed by providers of publicly
    available electronic communications and services, limiting users' access to and/or use of services
    and applications, where allowed under national law and in conformity with Community law, but
    does provide for information regarding such conditions.”
    This is in the new Article 1.3 in the Universal Services and Users rights directive (USD), drafted by
    the Council and copied into the law by the European Parliament’s IMCO committee. It grants
    operators the right to restrict access to Internet services.
    What does “conditions limiting access” mean? The rapporteur, Malcolm Harbour, provided the
    explanation when speaking at an EU conference hosted by the Czech Presidency on April 16th
    2009vii. He spoke of “service limitations ..could certainly include restrictions on access to services
    like voice over IP” (Skype is implied here). He also said that “some customers may wish to buy a
    package with service limitations if it was cheaper” – indicating there are corporate interests who
    may want to package up the Internet.

I mean, tears are totally in place.

zeeny on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Because its government duty to police the internet for movie and music industries. Jesus christ France, when are you going to do something to make us like you?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    zeeny wrote: »
    Hrmph. Lame.

So to recap,

UK will pass one within 12 months.
    Germany and the whole ex-Eastern block would follow as soon as they can draft it.
    The thing is, the Telecoms package was a serious slap to the customer/citizen anyway. It pretty much says "If you're an ISP, you do whatever the fuck you want with virtually no oversight.". Instead of establishing net neutrality, they approved black on white anti-net neutrality actions.

This is interesting and while I doubt the Telcoms will do something as blatant as restrict access altogether to some websites, I can see them offering tiered plans which give you more bandwidth to use things like skype for instance. I need to do more research on this matter to talk about it more intelligently, but I'll be sure to come back and add more later.

But I think what we can do now is look at how this might play out - how are companies going to use this new found right to produce more revenue? And I suppose the second question is, will other telcoms attempt to compete by remaining unrestrictive?

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    UK is going to pass this within the year, uh link?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

I think hes talking about digital Britain but that has to get through before the electrion, I've not heard anything about Tories backing that up nor do they back the phone line tax.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Use google? Digital Britain, P2P consulatation, I mean, when the main consultant on the future legislation is the BMI, how can you even doubt that this will pass without regard of who's in power? They are not calling it "disconnection", but a "technical sanction" right now, but that would change after the EU axed the amendment.
    The main lobby in the EU parliament were UK & French representatives, if you live in the UK, have no doubt that you're next.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    zeeny wrote: »

Use google? Digital Britain, P2P consulatation, I mean, when the main consultant on the future legislation is the BMI, how can you even doubt that this will pass without regard of who's in power? They are not calling it "disconnection", but a "technical sanction" right now, but that would change after the EU axed the amendment.
    The main lobby in the EU parliament were UK & French representatives, if you live in the UK, have no doubt that you're next.

While our government isn't perfect, far from it, the French leader is married and hitting a singer/model who has her own vested interests and hes friends with people IN the industry and thus he has his own grubby, corrupt interests involved to push for such a thing. We HOPEFULLY have enough checks in place that this will fail, especially when Labour go out of power.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wrote:
    The Conservative MP John Whittingdale, who is also chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, said he was broadly supportive of Lord Mandelson's proposals, but said that he may have inadvertently "killed his own bill".

"Personally I am on his [Lord Mandelson's] side; peer-to-peer sharing is the greatest threat to our creative industries," he said.

"I don't think people should have their broadband cut off, but there are measures to restrict speed which is better than prosecuting people so they get a criminal record.

"That said, I have severe doubts that the government can get this bill through in the time available as if there is any opposition to it - and there will be now - there will be a general election before it goes through."

Oh, and we're not even close to the level of corruption present in France in regards to the media. It won't pass here.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wrote:
    The Conservative MP John Whittingdale, who is also chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, said he was broadly supportive of Lord Mandelson's proposals, but said that he may have inadvertently "killed his own bill".

"Personally I am on his [Lord Mandelson's] side; peer-to-peer sharing is the greatest threat to our creative industries," he said.

"I don't think people should have their broadband cut off, but there are measures to restrict speed which is better than prosecuting people so they get a criminal record.

"That said, I have severe doubts that the government can get this bill through in the time available as if there is any opposition to it - and there will be now - there will be a general election before it goes through."

Oh, and we're not even close to the level of corruption present in France in regards to the media. It won't pass here.

It pisses me off greatly still, it is not the governments job to punish people for the music industry. The fact they can't get results on their own shows how little the general public care about it. Fuck, if you actually went ahead with sucha thing I imagine most ISPs would suffer huge drops in profits, theres almost no need for high speed broadband unless you're a youtube addict or have some reason to send and recieve huge files related to work on a regular basis.

Plus its the huge amount of propaganda that the industry uses and the government endorses. Its not theft, you're not taking their property and inconveniencing them by them lacking the property. Its copying at the very worst which is unlikely to be costing them anything.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    At least in the US they have their priorities straight...no, wait...

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/102209-mccain-introduces-bill-to-block.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2009-10-22
    "Today I'm pleased to introduce the Internet Freedom Act of 2009 that will keep the Internet free from government control and regulation," McCain said. "It will allow for continued innovation that will in turn create more high-paying jobs for the millions of Americans who are out of work or seeking new employment. Keeping businesses free from oppressive regulations is the best stimulus for the current economy."...

zeeny on
  • Options
    RussellRussell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But it ensures our freedoms, just look at the name! ALL regulation is bad! Hurf Durf.

This will be the deepest argument coming from the GOP.

I really do hope Net Neutrality isn't derailed by shills who don't know shit about the internet.

Russell on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for making this thread. I've been trying to make one about France hate-fucking the internet for a long time.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And now, some articles from the European Union's Charter of Fundamental Rights. HADOPI etc shits all over this.
    Article 7 - Respect for private and family life

Everyone has the right to respect for his or her private and family life, home and communications.

Article 8 - Protection of personal data

1. Everyone has the right to the protection of personal data concerning him or her.

2. Such data must be processed fairly for specified purposes and on the basis of the consent of the
    person concerned or some other legitimate basis laid down by law. Everyone has the right of access to
    data which has been collected concerning him or her, and the right to have it rectified.

3. Compliance with these rules shall be subject to control by an independent authority.

Article 41 - Right to good administration

1. Every person has the right to have his or her affairs handled impartially, fairly and within a
    reasonable time by the institutions and bodies of the Union.

2. This right includes:
    -- the right of every person to be heard, before any individual measure which would affect him or her
    adversely is taken; [...]

Article 48 - Presumption of innocence and right of defence

1. Everyone who has been charged shall be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law.

2. Respect for the rights of the defence of anyone who has been charged shall be guaranteed.

Article 48, section 1 is of course the big one that I hope will shoot this crap down. Three Strikes laws are just "These guys are accusing you. Here's a warning." followed by "Three strikes, you're out" with no court of law involved.

That's what the Pirate Party and their group in the EU Parliament are working for - they want Amendment 138 added to the telecoms package. This amendment will require a court trial and a guilty verdict before anyone can be thrown out of the internet.

And it's Amendment 138 that the Minister Council is crapping all over, as seen in the OP. Because with all these millions of pirates, requiring a trial would just cost time and money, so let's skip straight to the execution.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So, here's another interesting little quote straight from the recommendations grinding their way through the bureaucracy. They're now talking about giving EU countries the ability to ban people from the internet in these terms:
    ...authorising the measures to be taken and to adopt urgent measures in order to assure national security, defence, public security and the prevention, investigation, detection and prosecution of criminal offences.

If it's a crime, they can pull your plug if they want to. And a guilty verdict in a court still isn't needed. Being accused is enough.

edit: more linkage

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hmmm...so who was for the EU again? Just another bloated, corrupt mess.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hrmph. Lame.

So to recap,

Yeah they got completely dropped for New Zealand I'm pretty sure.

L|ama on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is this why Finland has been in the news for the "access is a human right" ?

Story pasted from EDRI-gram
    According to a decree issued by the Finish Ministry of Transport and
    Communications, starting with 1 July 2010, a 1 Mbit Internet connection will
    be defined as a requirement of the Universal Service. Thus, Finland becomes
    the first country in the world to make access to broadband Internet a legal
    right.

The decree states that by the end of 2009, the Finnish Communications
    Regulatory Authority will establish which of the telecom operators will be
    imposed this universal service obligation. The designated universal service
    providers will have to be able to provide access for all residential or
    business users, at a reasonable price, to a high-quality connection of at
    least 1 Mbit/s. The providers may choose themselves the technology used to
    provide the service. The average speed of downstream traffic must be at
    least 75 per cent of the required speed in a 24 hour period. While in a four
    hour measuring period the average speed must be at least 59 per cent of the
    required speed.

Ms Suvi Lindén, Finland's Minister of Communications, believes that high
    speed access to everybody will improve people's quality of life especially
    in the less populated areas, will boost business, enable electronic
    communications and encourage online banking.

Finland is already amongst the first countries in the world from the point
    of view of access to Internet connection. According to Laura Vilkkonen, the
    legislative counselor for the Ministry of Transport and Communications,
    about 95 percent of the population have some sort of Internet access. She
    also stated that the one-megabit requirement is only an intermediary step as
    the target is to reach speeds of up to 100 megabit per second for all by

"We think it's something you cannot live without in modern society. Like
    banking services or water or electricity, you need Internet connection,"
    Vilkkonen said.

Access to a minimum of 1 Mbit Internet connection available to everyone in
    Finland by July 2010 (16.10.2009)
    http://www.lvm.fi/web/en/pressreleases/view/920100

Finland makes broadband access a legal right (14.10.2009)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/14/finland-broadband

Fast Internet access becomes a legal right in Finland (15.10.2009)
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/15/finland.internet.rights/index.html

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »

Carl Bildt (Swedish ex-PM, currently foreign minister) has said that he wants it to be a human right.

Think I'll make a thread about that, actually.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »

Story pasted from EDRI-gram
    According to a decree issued by the Finish Ministry of Transport and
    Communications, starting with 1 July 2010, a 1 Mbit Internet connection will
    be defined as a requirement of the Universal Service. Thus, Finland becomes
    the first country in the world to make access to broadband Internet a legal
    right.

The decree states that by the end of 2009, the Finnish Communications
    Regulatory Authority will establish which of the telecom operators will be
    imposed this universal service obligation. The designated universal service
    providers will have to be able to provide access for all residential or
    business users, at a reasonable price, to a high-quality connection of at
    least 1 Mbit/s. The providers may choose themselves the technology used to
    provide the service. The average speed of downstream traffic must be at
    least 75 per cent of the required speed in a 24 hour period. While in a four
    hour measuring period the average speed must be at least 59 per cent of the
    required speed.

Ms Suvi Lindén, Finland's Minister of Communications, believes that high
    speed access to everybody will improve people's quality of life especially
    in the less populated areas, will boost business, enable electronic
    communications and encourage online banking.

Finland is already amongst the first countries in the world from the point
    of view of access to Internet connection. According to Laura Vilkkonen, the
    legislative counselor for the Ministry of Transport and Communications,
    about 95 percent of the population have some sort of Internet access. She
    also stated that the one-megabit requirement is only an intermediary step as
    the target is to reach speeds of up to 100 megabit per second for all by

"We think it's something you cannot live without in modern society. Like
    banking services or water or electricity, you need Internet connection,"
    Vilkkonen said.

Access to a minimum of 1 Mbit Internet connection available to everyone in
    Finland by July 2010 (16.10.2009)
    http://www.lvm.fi/web/en/pressreleases/view/920100

Finland makes broadband access a legal right (14.10.2009)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/14/finland-broadband

Fast Internet access becomes a legal right in Finland (15.10.2009)
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/15/finland.internet.rights/index.html

In the UK at least youre basically cut off from media if your Internet is taken away and you cant afford a TV license which is more expensive than a basic sky subscription. If youre paying for an Internet subscription then they shouldn't have the right to take it away, if youre paying for your car and use it to speed they don't take it away, they penalise you though but they still need actual evidence.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Im surprised that theres so little interest in this topic, Id think it would affect at least a fair few people on this board.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Im surprised that theres so little interest in this topic, Id think it would affect at least a fair few people on this board.

I read so much shit about this and other insane proposals going on in the EU that I just don't know where to start.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I imagine at the low end of the scale, people who use torrents or whatever would be caught out by it especially those who fall prey to things like the Pirate Bay which spoofs IPs so even innocent people can be accused of doing something illegal and be cut off eventually having to take their own time and money to get their Internet restored.

On the high end, the regular downloaders will simply enhance whatever they're already doing, if they even need to and be beyond reprisal.

On another note some movie mogul has said that piracy means fewer movies are getting made. Paranormal activity was made for something like $11,000 and has made 20 mill while being online. On the flipside Transformers too was available in less quality form and is a terrible, terrible abomination and yet made several hundred million dollars worldwide despite the presence of a free version.

That our politicians refuse to do research and instead take the industries at their very exaggerated word is saddening.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit, we have what looks like progress!

This text was agreed upon by... some department or other in the EU, for the telecoms package:
    3a. Measures taken by Member States regarding end-users' access to or use of services and applications through electronic communications networks shall respect the fundamental rights and freedoms of natural persons, as guaranteed by the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and general principles of Community law.

Any of these measures regarding end-users' access to or use of service and applications through electronic communications networks liable to restrict those fundamental rights or freedoms may only be imposed if they are appropriate, proportionate and necessary within a democratic society, and their implementation shall be subject to adequate procedural safeguards in conformity with the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and with general principles of Community law, including effective judicial protection and due process. Accordingly, these measures may only be taken with due respect for the principle of presumption of innocence and the right to privacy. A prior fair and impartial procedure shall be guaranteed, including the right to be heard of the person of persons concerned, subject to the need for appropriate conditions and procedural arrangements in duly substantiated cases of urgency in conformity with European Convetion for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms. The right to an effective and timely judicial review shall be guaranteed.

The limed part is what made it take so long. Or to be specific, the word "prior" in that sentence. The record company lobbyists fought tooth and nail to get "prior" out of the phrasing so they could just disconnect people from the internet at a mere accusation, no investigation, trial or procedure required.

Echo on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Holy shit, we have what looks like progress!

This text was agreed upon by... some department or other in the EU, for the telecoms package:
    3a. Measures taken by Member States regarding end-users' access to or use of services and applications through electronic communications networks shall respect the fundamental rights and freedoms of natural persons, as guaranteed by the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and general principles of Community law.

Any of these measures regarding end-users' access to or use of service and applications through electronic communications networks liable to restrict those fundamental rights or freedoms may only be imposed if they are appropriate, proportionate and necessary within a democratic society, and their implementation shall be subject to adequate procedural safeguards in conformity with the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and with general principles of Community law, including effective judicial protection and due process. Accordingly, these measures may only be taken with due respect for the principle of presumption of innocence and the right to privacy. A prior fair and impartial procedure shall be guaranteed, including the right to be heard of the person of persons concerned, subject to the need for appropriate conditions and procedural arrangements in duly substantiated cases of urgency in conformity with European Convetion for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms. The right to an effective and timely judicial review shall be guaranteed.

The limed part is what made it take so long. Or to be specific, the word "prior" in that sentence. The record company lobbyists fought tooth and nail to get "prior" out of the phrasing so they could just disconnect people from the internet at a mere accusation, no investigation, trial or procedure required.

So... this is a good thing, right? This is what WILL be going into the package, confirmed?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    So... this is a good thing, right? This is what WILL be going into the package, confirmed?

This is the result of the final trialogue. I'm not actually sure exactly how finalized this is, but it seems very certain that this is the text that will end up in the telecoms package.

The three-strikes bullshit isn't touched by the telecoms package because that's not in the mandate the telecoms stuff can affect, but it does prevent you getting a "strike" without a fair hearing.

This text guarantees three rights:
    • You are innocent until proven guilty
    • You have the right to plead your cause
    • A punishment cannot be enacted until the sentence has won legal force

This is stuff in the "duh, that's obvious" department, but remember that there are lobbying organizations fighting against exactly these rights, and they didn't exist in the telecoms package until just now.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Its not particularly GOOD, I mean its still a three-strikes bullshit law.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

No it's not. Those are separate laws on national level, outside of the mandate of the telecoms package.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

No it's not. Those are separate laws on national level, outside of the mandate of the telecoms package.

Ok so the French enact a 3 strikes law and thats their right to do so but this stuff DEMANDS that the accussee is entitled to fair and balanced representation before any action is taken?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok so the French enact a 3 strikes law and thats their right to do so but this stuff DEMANDS that the accussee is entitled to fair and balanced representation before any action is taken?

Yep.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Yep.

Well its better than nothing. I'd still prefer that Internet access be deemed a basic right but at least this will somewhat protect people and make pursuing minor offences not worth it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well its better than nothing. I'd still prefer that Internet access be deemed a basic right but at least this will somewhat protect people and make pursuing minor offences not worth it.

It will be very interesting to watch the fireworks when the telecoms package collides with ACTA.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It will be very interesting to watch the fireworks when the telecoms package collides with ACTA.

If^h^hwhen ACTA gets signed and then countries move to write the corresponding legislation, the best place one could live in is a cave without electricity.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Christian Engström, Swedish Pirate Party MEP, has some analysis:
    - Does it contain ”prior”?
    Yes.

- Will it stop Hadopi in France?
    Catherine Trautmann says so, and she negotiated the package and is a French Socialist. Their results in the 2010 elections depend on her being right. So she’d better be.

- Will it stop the proposed law in the UK?
    Yes, that law will clearly not be allowed, since it breaches a lot of the restrictions.

- But it doesn’t mention ”court”?
    Instead it describes how a proper court functions. Innocent until proven guilty, right to be heard, due process. A proper court, in other words.

Maybe it is better to describe how a court functions than to use the word, considering how popular it seems to be among governments to take a judge with a rubber stamp and call it a court. It seems to be necessary to spell it out to some governments.

You already had these rights! This adds nothing!
    That’s absolutely right. We already have the right to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal established by law, through Article 6 in the European Convention on Human Rights.

But unfortunately, some governments need to be reminded that our civil liberties are something they have to actually respect, and not just talk about.

This was just a first step. What we need is a proper Internet Bill of Rights. It’s not very difficult to write one. It’s mostly a question of pointing out to goverments who need it , that our traditional civil liberties apply to the internet and the information age as well.

Is this enough?
    No. One can debate endlessly exactly how strong (or not) the safeguards are for due process if users are to be shut off the internet, but no matter how strong they may be, this is not enough.

Myself, I wouldn’t a approve any law that allows cutting off internet users at all, period. The Internet is an important part of society, and all our fundamental rights must apply there without limitation, as they do in the rest of our lives.

But we won’t get everything we want in a single battle, at least not right now. This is a first step in the right direction. But there’s a long way to go.

- Are we ready now?
    This was just one battle, we have many more fights to win. But now we have shown we can do it.

- What's next?
    We will take an initiative for a proper Bill of Rights for the Internet. We want the Internet to continue to be free, open and exiting. Like it has been until now.

He also does a deeper analysis of some key phrases in the text.

Echo on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is the type of stuff where the lawyers start lighting preliminary cigars with high denominator money.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's amazing how sleazy and outright horrible some MEPs were, as instructed by their corporate paymasters. There was a huge fight about the word "guaranteed" to describe rights - they wanted it to be "respected" instead, so that countries could just take a big dump on said rights if they wanted to.

Echo on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I imagine at the low end of the scale, people who use torrents or whatever would be caught out by it especially those who fall prey to things like the Pirate Bay which spoofs IPs so even innocent people can be accused of doing something illegal and be cut off eventually having to take their own time and money to get their Internet restored.

Wait, what? The pirate bay spoofs IPs? I hadn't heard anything about that.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Wait, what? The pirate bay spoofs IPs? I hadn't heard anything about that.

Uh, yeah. What the hell are you talking about, DW?

Echo on