As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DS/GBA Castlevania thread

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    ESRB wrote:
    Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth
    Platform: Wii
    Rating: Teen
    Content descriptors: Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence

Rating summary: This is a side-scrolling action game in which players battle against monsters in Dracula's castle. Players use a chained whip to fight their way through halls and dungeons filled with zombies, skeletons, flying eyeballs, and bats. The enemy creatures frequently shoot projectiles and attack players in hand-to-hand combat. If players sustain too much damage, they keel over and emit a burst of red blood. Some rooms in the castle also have spikes or spears stained with red, blood-like splotches.

So... A remake of the old GB game on WiiWare?

BLOOD? IN MY VIDEO GAMES?

Also yeah, this was talked about in the Kojima-studios-Castlevania thread when the news first dropped.

Henroid on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Found the double pack for cheap and played AoS but didn't play HoD after the first boss. AoS was just so much more fun.

RichardTauber on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    HoD was made too easy and too brightly colored in response to the criticisms of CotM...which were the it was too dark and too hard!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Which of the GBA/DS games was the first to introduce those enemies that go across the screen really fast and you basically have to freeze time to kill it? Was it Aria? Because those enemies seriously suck.

Gilder on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Which of the GBA/DS games was the first to introduce those enemies that go across the screen really fast and you basically have to freeze time to kill it? Was it Aria? Because those enemies seriously suck.

The skyfish. I think AoS is the only one to have that. They learned their lesson from that shit; bad idea. Especially since it didn't have a 100% soul-drop rate. It was bad enough you had to time it right to be able to see the damn thing.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Really, was it only AoS? I could've sworn they used it again. I guess it's even worse than I thought if I still remember it after not having even played AoS once I beat it.

Gilder on
    edited October 2009
    I really do like PoR despite all of its flaws. In fact, I'd go as far to say that for whatever reason it is my favorite DS vania game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited October 2009
    JONATHAN

CHARLOTTE

JONATHAN
    CHARLOTTE

Gilder on
    edited October 2009
    Yep. I like the switching, and I like how the two control.

DoS has too many weird "Hey this is an early DS game we need touchscreen gimmicks!"

and

OoE is just so damn tough. Every time I've picked it up since launch I'll play, convinced that this is the time that I'll complete it (first normal and then hard mode) beat a boss, get stuck on the next part, and drop it for a month, only to return.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited October 2009
    The big thing I enjoy about PoR and OoE is that they took the time to give each enemy English voices when applicable. Honestly, it was a big relief not having to hear Japanese "YAH" and "AAAIEEEEE" sounds over and over again. OoE wins for introducing a bunch of new enemy designs though.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Switching characters was probably my favorite thing to do in PoR. I would just switch back and forth over and over. Then the GO TEAM VENTURE! move to finish it up.

Gilder on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Portrait of Ruin is easily my favorite handheld Castlevania: great soundtrack, fun gameplay, lots of versatility with the characters, and the fact that it actually ties into Bloodlines, one of the most underrated games in the series. The Jonathan/Charlotte dynamic (both in gameplay and as actual characters) is really enjoyable and added a lot of charm to the game.

Circle of the Moon deserves some respect, though. I was very impressed with how they translated Symphony's style and depth onto the GBA; it was mind-blowing at the time. The best part was the various extra modes activated with special name inputs: "Gradius" let you rapid-fire the knife and gave you more hearts at the start; "Fireball" gave you higher magic stats and all the DSS cards at the expense of low defense and HP; and the Thief mode (I forget the name input) made you pathetically weak but boosted your Luck to about 100. That kept things interesting.

Grimthwacker on
    edited October 2009
    Portrait of Ruin is easily my favorite handheld Castlevania: great soundtrack, fun gameplay, lots of versatility with the characters, and the fact that it actually ties into Bloodlines, one of the most underrated games in the series. The Jonathan/Charlotte dynamic (both in gameplay and as actual characters) is really enjoyable and added a lot of charm to the game.

Circle of the Moon deserves some respect, though. I was very impressed with how they translated Symphony's style and depth onto the GBA; it was mind-blowing at the time. The best part was the various extra modes activated with special name inputs: "Gradius" let you rapid-fire the knife and gave you more hearts at the start; "Fireball" gave you higher magic stats and all the DSS cards at the expense of low defense and HP; and the Thief mode (I forget the name input) made you pathetically weak but boosted your Luck to about 100. That kept things interesting.

I don't recall thief mode getting you anything useful through that 100 luck. Like no enemies dropped any sort of be-all-end-all of armor or anything like that. It was pretty much the hard mode for the game I think.

I didn't know the GRADIUS name let you rapid fire the dagger. I know that it let you pick up the dagger twice; the second time would make it a homing weapon.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

I don't recall thief mode getting you anything useful through that 100 luck. Like no enemies dropped any sort of be-all-end-all of armor or anything like that. It was pretty much the hard mode for the game I think.

I didn't know the GRADIUS name let you rapid fire the dagger. I know that it let you pick up the dagger twice; the second time would make it a homing weapon.

Huh, I didn't know about that. The things you learn.

Grimthwacker on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really do like PoR despite all of its flaws. In fact, I'd go as far to say that for whatever reason it is my favorite DS vania game.

Was mine until Ecclesia came along.

Xagarath on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    The DS Castlevanias seem like they were made for me, but I like each successive iteration less and less. The developers just seem completely unwilling to make even the slightest change or advancement to the gameplay

Why would they? They killed Castlevania off with SoTN and made something else, it sells like hot cakes. They don't even have to change the sprites.

If you haven't realized, Castlevania died prior to the Playstation. Now it's just a map you run about that they mix up and add a new gimic to every time and resell you.... but that's OK because it's metroid style now and we can all beat it. Next year we'll get a couple new boss sprites to face rape for fun.:lol:

So yes, I agree they do need to change something. It feels like franchise whoring EA would be proud of.
    It also makes me sad that the only other Castlevania game I own is SOTN which I've barely played.

Go back and play the NES/SNES era games. They are FAR superior. IMHO, start with Castlevania IV which isn't hard. It gets squirly in the later stages, but for the most part, is finishable on your first or second try. Also, dracula isn't a total prick.

If you can stomach that try CV III. Which, while beatable, is on another level and probably the best of the series. You can also cheese ball the entire game with Grant if you get frustrated. If you can best III you're ready for for the original which is quality, but only 6 really short stages, it gets tough at about stage 5 and the last stage induces uncontrolable rage.

Once you play the games that started it all, you will see the current games share nothing with them and just title and sprite stole.

Don't play the original gameboy games, that path is made of fail :lol:
    ...what? Do you consider Metroid games to be linear, too?

For the most part they are, they just trick you. You can only get to areas xxxxxxxxxxx with the starting items, now you get a new item you can get to areas YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, have fun walking through the same shit shooting the same idiots to get to YYYYYYYYY, only now you are almost god, congrats you got a new item, now you can get to areas zzzzzzzz, only now you are god and it's impossible to die.

Yippie, back tracking as god is fun.

So yes, they are, when you get past the illusion of back tracking as making a game non linear and dynamic, extremely linear and back tracking is piss poor way of saying "we were to cheap to create new levels, and you suckers won't notice". I mean common.

Now I love the original metroid, and super metroid... but that's special.

psychotix on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I bought the GBA double pack a couple years ago for $15 when it was on sale during one of GameStop's summer-long sales. Definitely among the best $15 I've ever spent. Aria's ending took me by surprise. The only DS one I have is DoS, but for whatever reason I haven't actually played it yet. I picked it up used at GS one day because for whatever reason it was really hard to find locally, but whenever I walk into GS these days they seem to always have at least one copy of it.

Are PoR and OoE standalone titles? I don't mind loose tie-ins with other entries in the series, but are they direct sequels or heavily based off any of the other games?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    For the most part they are, they just trick you. You can only get to areas xxxxxxxxxxx with the starting items, now you get a new item you can get to areas YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, have fun walking through the same shit shooting the same idiots to get to YYYYYYYYY, only now you are almost god, congrats you got a new item, now you can get to areas zzzzzzzz, only now you are god and it's impossible to die.

So yes, they are, when you get past the illusion of back tracking as making a game non linear and dynamic, extremely linear and back tracking is piss poor way of saying "we were to cheap to create new levels, and you suckers won't notice". I mean common.

Yeah, no, things aren't that simple. As you gain new abilities there are also new ways (ie shortcuts) to get through those earlier areas. In addition to new paths opening up in the same areas that lead to new areas altogether, plus a million standalone rooms off the beaten path, and so on. And all that being said, the 'backtracking', which is hardly as taxing as you're saying, is one of the appeals of the whole genre. Going through earlier areas when you're at full power shows how much you've progressed and so on.

And are you seriously calling Metroid Prime/Fusion/etc. 'cheap' productions? That the only reason 'backtracking' is in the games because Nintendo, of all companies, decided to just give up on creating more levels and just let the game be released? Come on, yourself. That's fucking ridiculous, for a ton of reason.

...anyway. Castlevania.

Graviija on
    edited October 2009
    Graviija wrote: »

Yeah, no, things aren't that simple. As you gain new abilities there are also new ways (ie shortcuts) to get through those earlier areas. In addition to new paths opening up in the same areas that lead to new areas altogether, plus a million standalone rooms off the beaten path, and so on. And all that being said, the 'backtracking', which is hardly as taxing as you're saying, is one of the appeals of the whole genre. Going through earlier areas when you're at full power shows how much you've progressed and so on.

And are you seriously calling Metroid Prime/Fusion/etc. 'cheap' productions? That the only reason 'backtracking' is in the games because Nintendo, of all companies, decided to just give up on creating more levels and just let the game be released? Come on, yourself. That's fucking ridiculous, for a ton of reason.

...anyway. Castlevania.

You didn't counter anything I said. All you gave was "it plays different because you have item X". Short cuts make you more of a god and you have better weapons.

It sums up that you like easy kills and short cuts rather then playing a game. and that "zomg I can ace this now due to, not skill, but items, makes it fun for me, fuck a change of level, and be damned for having something new to explore, I'd rather keep face raping harder each run through".

This is why games suck now.

psychotix on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But you do get new areas to explore and more difficult battles to fight. You just might have to backtrack a little to reach the entrance to that new area.

And it's not like you have to traverse the entire Castle or whatever just to get to the new area. Generally you just hit the closest teleporter and bring yourself to a point closest to the area with the Blue Door or ledge you couldn't reach before or small space you can only fit into as a bat. Anything beyond that is optional.

Robos A Go Go on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

...anyway. Castlevania.

You didn't counter anything I said. All you gave was "it plays different because you have item X". Short cuts make you more of a god and you have better weapons.

It sums up that you like easy kills and short cuts rather then playing a game. and that "zomg I can ace this now due to, not skill, but items, makes it fun for me, fuck a change of level, and be damned for having something new to explore, I'd rather keep face raping harder each run through".

I didn't 'counter' anything you said because it was all...

*think back to the other Castlevania thread and the retarded, multipage argument*

...yeah, whatever, you win.

One thing that I feel must be said - don't put fucking words in my mouth. " like easy kills and short cuts rather then [sic] playing a game." I know this is a forum for videogames, and I have no real concern over what people here tend to say, especially consummate asswipes such as yourself, but fuck off. Really.

Graviija on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, regarding Simon's Quest...
    Henroid wrote: »
    - He complains about the nighttime / daytime thing as being unimportant to interrupt the gameplay. Disagree. Night time meant towns weren't safe to be in and enemies were stronger.

That's not what he means; he's referring to the god-awful text box that shows up to herald the transition to day/night. It interrupts the gameplay every couple of minutes, and there's no way to skip the box or even make the monotonous text go faster. Watch his original Simon's Quest review - in his words: "Nobody feels like sitting through this every time. How would you like it if you were playing a game and then I came over and paused it, and then counted ten tedious seconds and then let you continue to play the game?" We don't need a text box to help us understand the concept of night and day.
    - He complains about hearts going away when you die. They go away when you continue, first of all, and maybe you shouldn't suck at the game if you don't want to lose them.

Do I lose all my gil when I fire up my savegame in Final Fantasy? Or when I lose a battle in Pokemon? (you only lose half.) I mean, why set us back to square one like that, other than the fact that it's Castlevania? The other two NES games were similarly cruel, but at least they didn't force us to stay in one safe area and farm money just to upgrade my weapon so I can advance.
    - He addresses shops being closed and having nothing to do; night time is "hunt for hearts" time if you need to buy from the shops. If you've been through the game once, you can use this formula of play to rarely get caught in having to wait for day.

You don't go back to town to hunt for hearts (although it is easier to farm there). All I want to do is heal and buy shit. It's like if the Pokemon Center was closed at night and surrounded by angry trainers instead. Thanks, game.
    - He sucks at platforming, so he bitches about jumping segments. His fault, not the game.

Those jumps are horrendous.
    - He gets hit on the stairs- HE COULD'VE MAYBE ATTACKED

Yeah, he could've.

You didn't even mention that Simon's Quest has the shittiest boss battles and end level of any Castlevania game I've ever encountered (and I've played all of the original Gameboy releases). That alone could exclude it from being good enough for a GBA re-release. But no, they went all-out on this one.

Silvoculous on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Best Death fight was OoE's. Death spins his scythe around like a cheerleader's baton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEP3UdGaOU

emnmnme on
    edited October 2009
    Bullio wrote: »
    I bought the GBA double pack a couple years ago for $15 when it was on sale during one of GameStop's summer-long sales. Definitely among the best $15 I've ever spent. Aria's ending took me by surprise. The only DS one I have is DoS, but for whatever reason I haven't actually played it yet. I picked it up used at GS one day because for whatever reason it was really hard to find locally, but whenever I walk into GS these days they seem to always have at least one copy of it.

Are PoR and OoE standalone titles? I don't mind loose tie-ins with other entries in the series, but are they direct sequels or heavily based off any of the other games?

Like I said before, Portrait is essentially the sequel to Bloodlines on the Genesis: main character Jonathan Morris is the son of Bloodlines' John Morris, and a lot of the game deals with his ability (or inability) to use the Vampire Killer, which his father used. The other playable character in Bloodlines, Eric Lecarde, also plays a major (spoilerish) role. It's not really necessary to play Bloodlines, but it does add to the backstory.

As for Order of Ecclesia, I believe that's a stand-alone title, so you're okay on that front.

Grimthwacker on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I do love how some of the music in OoE is very bleepy and retroey, like how it goes all kinda arcadey and funky during that death boss fight. I do love the music for the training hall and large cavern

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    cviigraveyardduck.jpg

:?:

Pretty sure that's two statements and they just forgot a period. It's not talking about a graveyard duck. It's saying to get a silk bag. Then duck (as in press down).

Of course, I'm sure everyone knows that already. 8-)

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
    edited October 2009

...anyway. Castlevania.

I didn't 'counter' anything you said because it was all...

*think back to the other Castlevania thread and the retarded, multipage argument*

...yeah, whatever, you win.

One thing that I feel must be said - don't put fucking words in my mouth. " like easy kills and short cuts rather then [sic] playing a game." I know this is a forum for videogames, and I have no real concern over what people here tend to say, especially consummate asswipes such as yourself, but fuck off. Really.

So you admit you want free win games, rather then ones where you must try, congrats. Most agree with you! This is why we have press start and win games.

EDIT- Nice personal attack there, this is why we have no challenge games, next thing out of your mouth (see I can say something polite unlike you) we should have contra with perma invul, that will be great.

First time watching a "I just want to watch the CGI" gamer out himself, thumbs fucking UP.

psychotix on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sof3x3IVuf8
    This is probably my favorite song of the DS trio.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited October 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sof3x3IVuf8
    This is probably my favorite song of the DS trio.

good call, but I like the clock tower music just a tad more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgvV04RsCP4&feature=related

DoS has some epic boss music too. I get shivers every time I hear this one and fight this boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc_sXHlaJhg

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    Haha those metamorphoses were awesome. Never tried that mode.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited October 2009
    Haha those metamorphoses were awesome. Never tried that mode.

Julius mode? It's amazing, plus you get to kill
    Soma

at the end of it :P

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    I did play Julius mode once for gags but I never knew Alucard and Yoko would join you.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited October 2009
    I did play Julius mode once for gags but I never knew Alucard and Yoko would join you.

I've been through Julius mode 3 times just cause it's so damn fun and very well balanced.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    meh BT is still the best CV song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjazC45Qkww

psychotix on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Well, obviously, the Castlevania music lineage rocks: Vampire Killer, Heart of Fire, Out of Time, Dwelling of Doom, Beginning, Clockwork, Mad Forest, Riddle, Battle of the Holy, Simon Belmont's Theme, Dracula's Castle just to name a few.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Interesting to see how many name PoR as a favorite. It was usually described as a step down from DoS including on these forums.

At the same time, there's just something fun about it even if it was simpler. I think there's also just something undeniably fun about being able to use a whip as a main weapon instead of having to stick with swords like Alucard and Soma.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6cMdV5pFCU

While we're on the subject of Castlevania music...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At the same time, there's just something fun about it even if it was simpler. I think there's also just something undeniably fun about being able to use a whip as a main weapon instead of having to stick with swords like Alucard and Soma.

Aria of Sorrow should have had more whip-swords. They tempt us with one, and it's early in the game at that. Best of both worlds.

Silvoculous on