As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS/GBA Castlevania thread

13»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Best Death fight was OoE's. Death spins his scythe around like a cheerleader's baton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEP3UdGaOU

I think Death was top-notch in Portrait of Ruin, if you ask me. In OoE he's actually fairly easy, especially if you use any sort of holy weapon on him. In PoR, not only does he have badass music, but on a fresh save file he's actually pretty hard and can fuck you up good if you're not careful.

Edit - Musiiiiiic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-m0WdBPCio

Henroid on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aria of Sorrow has the best Castlevania song remix ever. And it plays at such a badass point in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA9FhBwRtoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiSo9yL59Pw

Henroid on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bwa ha ha, I still have my preorder bonus from Portrait of Ruin - a soundtrack CD containing music from across the series and remixed PoR music.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bwa ha ha, I still have my preorder bonus from Portrait of Ruin - a soundtrack CD containing music from across the series and remixed PoR music.

Goddamn I want that so hard. I got the pre-order bonus CD for OoE when I bought it (from Gamestop, Wal-Mart wasn't carrying it those chumps). The chick at the counter told me that nobody had pre-ordered the game and she said the discs were up for grabs for employees, and since we talked about how great the music in the games is she decided to be awesome and let me have one.

Henroid on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "Beginning" from CV3 is my favorite Castlevania music. CV3 was the first Castlevania I owned, and I was at the age to appreciate it.

I also like how the opening notes sound like Thriller.

Here it is in its Japanese release glory, which had an extra audio channel used for echoes and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTIim3hcsps

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Goddamn I want that so hard. I got the pre-order bonus CD for OoE when I bought it (from Gamestop, Wal-Mart wasn't carrying it those chumps). The chick at the counter told me that nobody had pre-ordered the game and she said the discs were up for grabs for employees, and since we talked about how great the music in the games is she decided to be awesome and let me have one.
    Yeah, I got the Portrait pre-order disc too - it also had the extendable stylus and the timeline that also featured all the games in the series that were "non-canonical" and retconed out. Nice of them to at least acknowledge those in some way.

Back when I was a lurker here (have been for some time), I remember that someone in the Portrait of Ruin thread posted some of the early character concept art, including a picture of Charlotte wearing glasses that was really cool. Does anyone still have that around?

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Whoa, I didn't know half these versions of Beginning existed - the one from Dracula X: Chi no Rondo is incredibly rockin'.

EDIT: Holy crap the one from the Saturn version of Symphony of the Night at 5:18.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Since we're focused on music for the GBA/DS games here for the moment, I'll post about something I discovered recently and posted in the Lords of Shadow thread.

So, the water-area music in PoR, in Dracula's Castle. This tune here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D-QLJENBZ4

I've been playing Curse of Darkness again, and I got to the machine tower area. Turns out that song originally came from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXW0QDyxbNg

Right now I'm trying to decide if the Stairway music in PoR, which is a remake of music from the same spot in Castlevania 3, is also in Curse of Darkness as the Dracula's Castle music. Anyone care to give a listen and help me decide? It has similar elements but sounds way extended and I can't put my finger on a decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SF_nlAG_98

Henroid on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I still have my pre-order CD from SotN. :D

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I got the Portrait pre-order disc too - it also had the extendable stylus and the timeline that also featured all the games in the series that were "non-canonical" and retconed out. Nice of them to at least acknowledge those in some way.

Back when I was a lurker here (have been for some time), I remember that someone in the Portrait of Ruin thread posted some of the early character concept art, including a picture of Charlotte wearing glasses that was really cool. Does anyone still have that around?

I think you can find most of it here: http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/multi/officialart3.htm#por

Timestones on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Looks more like fan art to me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That was all on the official site for Portrait of Ruin from what I remember.

Timestones on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Timestones wrote: »

I think you can find most of it here: http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/multi/officialart3.htm#por

Thanks! Meganekko Charlotte is win! A lot of that artwork is really good.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know it's probably a popular choice but I love Vampire Killer the best.

Found this sweet metal mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5-ueUCU10U

Of-course nothing beats the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AZ5XZHIDh0

MindLib on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »
    For the most part they are, they just trick you. You can only get to areas xxxxxxxxxxx with the starting items, now you get a new item you can get to areas YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, have fun walking through the same shit shooting the same idiots to get to YYYYYYYYY, only now you are almost god, congrats you got a new item, now you can get to areas zzzzzzzz, only now you are god and it's impossible to die.

Yippie, back tracking as god is fun.

So yes, they are, when you get past the illusion of back tracking as making a game non linear and dynamic, extremely linear and back tracking is piss poor way of saying "we were to cheap to create new levels, and you suckers won't notice". I mean common.

Now I love the original metroid, and super metroid... but that's special.
    Yeah, no, things aren't that simple. As you gain new abilities there are also new ways (ie shortcuts) to get through those earlier areas. In addition to new paths opening up in the same areas that lead to new areas altogether, plus a million standalone rooms off the beaten path, and so on. And all that being said, the 'backtracking', which is hardly as taxing as you're saying, is one of the appeals of the whole genre. Going through earlier areas when you're at full power shows how much you've progressed and so on.

And are you seriously calling Metroid Prime/Fusion/etc. 'cheap' productions? That the only reason 'backtracking' is in the games because Nintendo, of all companies, decided to just give up on creating more levels and just let the game be released? Come on, yourself. That's fucking ridiculous, for a ton of reason.

...anyway. Castlevania.

You didn't counter anything I said. All you gave was "it plays different because you have item X". Short cuts make you more of a god and you have better weapons.

It sums up that you like easy kills and short cuts rather then playing a game. and that "zomg I can ace this now due to, not skill, but items, makes it fun for me, fuck a change of level, and be damned for having something new to explore, I'd rather keep face raping harder each run through".

This is why games suck now.
    I didn't 'counter' anything you said because it was all...

*think back to the other Castlevania thread and the retarded, multipage argument*

...yeah, whatever, you win.

One thing that I feel must be said - don't put fucking words in my mouth. " like easy kills and short cuts rather then [sic] playing a game." I know this is a forum for videogames, and I have no real concern over what people here tend to say, especially consummate asswipes such as yourself, but fuck off. Really.

So you admit you want free win games, rather then ones where you must try, congrats. Most agree with you! This is why we have press start and win games.

EDIT- Nice personal attack there, this is why we have no challenge games, next thing out of your mouth (see I can say something polite unlike you) we should have contra with perma invul, that will be great.

First time watching a "I just want to watch the CGI" gamer out himself, thumbs fucking UP.

Ah, I get it now. All games suck today and whoever disagrees with your cantankerous ramblings is an idiot. Of course. You're the only one bold enough and 1337 enough to call things as they really are! And ridiculously broad generalizations devoid of any substance are unbeatable arguments indeed.

DUDE, YOU JUST WON THE INTERNET!! You're so special!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    A month is a really long time to suddenly show up and deride someone.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A month is a really long time to suddenly show up and deride someone.

That's how special he is!

And ok, back on topic, I have the PoR preorder kit and it's really nice. The telescopic stylus is kinda flimsy, so is the little cartridge box, but the music CD is really excellent.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So did anyone else jump and get really creeped out when they first got a game over in dracula's castle in Order of Ecclesia

Maybe I'm just a wuss, but in my defense it was late at night

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So did anyone else jump and get really creeped out when they first got a game over in dracula's castle in Order of Ecclesia

I've only game over'd at the final boss fight. So uh... what happens?

Henroid on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I've only game over'd at the final boss fight. So uh... what happens?

oh it was just a different, far creepier game over screen.

After dying so many times and being used to the standard generic monster game over, i just wasn't expecting it.

And I cannot for the life of me find the actual images.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    They released Castlevania 1 on the GBA. WHY OH WHY did they never do Castlevania 2!?

Maybe a few good reasons here...

Okay he's doing CV3 now so I'll stop. The point is that Castlevania 2 is an alright game, it's just different. This Angry Nerd guy is such a fucking hack. If he's trying to be entertaining, he's doing a bad job of it and just being disingenuous.

For some reason he provided a link to his newer, less funny review. Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4we8iFk-fY

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.