As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Free DVD player software

StormwatcherStormwatcher BleghBlughRegistered User regular
So I wanna watch DVDs on my PC, sometimes, and I want a decent player software. VLan and MPClassic are not doing a good job, they look kinda bad. Any suggestions of a good free DVD player app?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
camo_sig2.png
Stormwatcher on

• Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Out of curiosity, how do you mean by "look kinda bad"? I used to use VLC but have since switched to MPC Home Theatre for the GPU acceleration features.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, the navigation is kinda weird (i got to the Wall-e root menu, but neither mouse nor arrow keys worked) and the upscalling is bad.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Technically, there is no such thing as a "free DVD player" as all DVDCCA members must pay royalties for every player they produce to cover licensing fees and patents. VLC is technically illegal in the U.S. because it decrypts DVDs using libdvdscss which is against the DMCA.

Just putting that out there.

halkun on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Try good ol' WMP (not classic).

Doesn't work with everything, but it does the job for me.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You're best off using WMP as it can decode most DVDs unless there is some weird DRM on the disc. WMP also has hardware acceleration that VLC is lacking.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, the navigation is kinda weird (i got to the Wall-e root menu, but neither mouse nor arrow keys worked) and the upscalling is bad.
    Do you happen to use ffdshow? If you go into the filter menu > codecs and click on the MPEG 2 row you can enable DVD decoding via check box. That should give you enough upscaling options to make MPC usable.

Rigor Mortis on