As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have 2 months to suck the marrow out of the PS3

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Due to fortuitous circumstances, I ended up going home to my parents' house today just as my brother was leaving the state for two months due to business. So I lovingly borrowed his PS3, since it needs a good home and I hate to see game consoles go unadopted. I'll give it back around Christmas, but now I have two months to lavish in the PS3, the one console I don't own this gen.

So I'm looking for good rental suggestions on platform exclusives and really good PSN titles that would be worth the scratch to buy. I'm already going to buy Flower and I will do my best to obtain a copy of Valkyria Chronicles. I'm also borrowing Uncharted 1, Resistance 1 and Killzone 2 from my bro, and Ratchet & Clank Future from a buddy. What else do you fine folks suggest that can be suitably finished in maybe 8-10 hours?

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You might want to try inFamous, Heavenly Sword and Folklore. Little Big Planet is good as well, and Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds is fun to play in short bursts.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You need Demon's Souls. It's not a short game, but everyone must play it. And I'll second Heavenly Sword as a good rental.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does he have any of the downloadable games? Super Stardust HD, the Pixeljunk games, Fat Princess, all really great.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Uncharted 2.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Heavenly Sword BLOOOWS.

You should probably skip to the exclusives that don't completely suck...so maybe play some...hmm...let's see...some...Demon Souls, sure...VC, I guess if you're into bad Fire Emblem clones...MGS 4 if you like being disappointed...Uncharted you may or may not enjoy...Wait, Warhawk wasn't that bad!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why is it that the first two people to respond have Valkyria Chronicles in their Avatar/Sig but don't suggest the game?

Valkyria Chronicles.

If you are in to shooters, there is Killzone and Resistance, too.

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why is it that the first two people to respond have Valkyria Chronicles in their Avatar/Sig but don't suggest the game?

Valkyria Chronicles.

OP wrote:
    Due to fortuitous circumstances, I ended up going home to my parents' house today just as my brother was leaving the state for two months due to business. So I lovingly borrowed his PS3, since it needs a good home and I hate to see game consoles go unadopted. I'll give it back around Christmas, but now I have two months to lavish in the PS3, the one console I don't own this gen.

So I'm looking for good rental suggestions on platform exclusives and really good PSN titles that would be worth the scratch to buy. I'm already going to buy Flower and I will do my best to obtain a copy of Valkyria Chronicles. I'm also borrowing Uncharted 1, Resistance 1 and Killzone 2 from my bro, and Ratchet & Clank Future from a buddy. What else do you fine folks suggest that can be suitably finished in maybe 8-10 hours?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aumni wrote: »

Valkyria Chronicles.

OP wrote:

Ah, I see. Reading skills FTL.

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Uncharted 1 & 2: Personally my favorite set of games on the PS3. U1 is a bit more basic, and maybe it won't live up to the hype the series has now, but it's still good and you should go through it all just to make your experience with 2 much better. Uncharted 2 is a definite 100% must play.

Valkyria Chronicles: Yeah, you had better do your best to find a copy. It's seriously very unique and fun to play. Very much worth it.

Heavenly Sword: VERY much worth a rental despite what anyone says. It's a great game, and was downrated and shit on for being short. Well, no worries since you're renting it and not slamming down 60 dollars cash or anything. It's a fun beat 'em up type game with a cool fighting system, great mo-cap and a decently well told story. It isn't anything that'll really wow you a ton, but it's fun.

Infamous: Kind of Grand Theft Auto except you're a superhero (or not so heroic super powered guy). Doesn't have the greatest graphics out there, but the comic scenes are more than enough eye candy for me. The game's pretty fun as long as you don't pull out your hair searching for all the shards.

LittleBigPlanet: Definitely worth playing especially if you can get a friend or two over to play. By yourself it's not that great. It's kind of a short, basic platformer, but with friends the fun goes up exponentially. And, with friends you can hop around online levels and get almost infinite levels of awesome. I'd plan this rental around when you can have a few people over.

Warhawk: Honestly this one's hard to recommend even though it's one of my favorite games of this generation, and definitely my favorite online game. The thing is that it takes a helluva lot of learning to get into it, so a rental period may just leave you battered and bruised and rubbing your poor raped rectum rather than loving it. That and I'm not honestly sure what the online community's like nowadays. I think there are still enough people playing to get some gaming going, but I don't know for sure. Rent it if you're curious, or if you can get a copy for a more extended period of time that's preferred.

Resistance 1 & 2: They're both kind of generic FPSs, but I'd say they're still worth a bit of a playthrough. R1 is more fun co-op, especially with the higher difficulties selected. You'll have a lot of fun figuring out which of the crazy weapons to use and where. I also really liked the style and presentation in the first one. It hasn't aged that well in graphics, but it gets the job done. It was a nice launch title. The online I hear was awesome when it first launched, but I didn't get it that early and I doubt anyone's playing as much anymore with the 2nd one out. The second one is very much worth a playthrough, too. A lot of people say it's not as good as the first, and even Insomniac has admitted that it was kind of a failure to their fans. That said, there are some cool moments throughout.

Killzone 2: You already had it written, but I just wanted to keep it on the list of recommended exclusives. It's not completely revolutionary or anything, but it's more than a solid campaign playthrough. The graphics are very one-dimensional, but fucking a they're astounding. The online is probably still decently healthy, too, and I found it to be pretty addictive. It also has one of the most badass sniper classes in the online ever, so don't neglect going online with it.

Wipeout HD : Online title that you simply MUST play. It's one of my favorite racers of all time, and definitely my favorite this generation. I personally describe it as kind of futuristic Mario Kart on crack cocaine... and speed. It's hella-fast and just really freaking fun. Get it and the expansion pack for hours and hours of awesome.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Some of the best graphics of the generation (Uc2 and sometimes Killzone 2 beats it I'd say), so it's worth it there. This one was one of my all time favorite games, but I realize it's pretty hit or miss. If you have played the rest of the MGS series this one's a definite play. If you have not, you may want to skip it. Your love of it will be dependent on how much you can handle a lot of completely over the top ridiculous (and awesome to me) cutscenes. I personally also thought the gameplay was really really awesome, and the change the series has needed for a long time.

Motorstorm and Motorstorm Pacific Rift: The first one probably isn't worth a rental anymore since you could probably buy it for that price somewhere (I bought mine for like 10 bucks a year ago even). I haven't played much of the 2nd one, though, but judging by the first I'd say it's at least worth renting. The first was really fun, and I think the 2nd improved on the formula quite a lot.

Super Stardust HD : Another online game that I'd say is worth it. It's a twin stick shooter that's very addictive and also pretty damned pretty.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Heavenly Sword BLOOOWS.

You should probably skip to the exclusives that don't completely suck...so maybe play some...hmm...let's see...some...Demon Souls, sure...VC, I guess if you're into bad Fire Emblem clones...MGS 4 if you like being disappointed...Uncharted you may or may not enjoy...Wait, Warhawk wasn't that bad!

Ignore this one, he's terribly wrong about games.

Red Faction 3's good fun, if you've not played it yet, Little Big Planet is good, VC is great, and Resistance 2 could be worth a rent

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't listen to XoB in a thread not about Wii or DS.

- Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    - Infamous
    - Valkyria Chronicles
    - Heavenly Sword (BUT FOR FUCK'S SAKE, TURN OFF THE MOTION CONTROLS)
    - Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    - Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty (get it this week, it's only $10 on PSN)
    - Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
    - Demon's Souls
    - God of War Collection
    - MLB 09: The Show (if you like baseball...it is fucking tops)

Those are all out or will be in time for you to finish up by Christmas.

Shame you aren't holding onto it for just like three or four more months, you'd be able to dig into White Knight Chronicles, Heavy Rain and God of War III.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I recently picked up Infamous and it's pretty fun, but the snipers are the worst snipers I have ever seen in a game that plays the way Infamous does. They will snipe you from 10 blocks away, and it gets really old really fast. Otherwise the game is really fun.

Katamari Forever is at least worth a rental. It's a compilation of levels from previous titles, but it's Katamari in HD. If you didn't play Beautiful Katamari on 360 or want to see some levels from the first two games in HD, this is the game to play. Plus Roboking has a delightful theme song. Just don't bother going for high scores on "Make the Katamari *X* Size" or "Get the biggest *X*". Those levels are bullshit.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Resistance 1 is fun at first but gets super fucking boring and samey awful quick. Don't spend too much time on it when you could be having fun with other games.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You are definitely right to go with flower.

LewieP on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I never had a problem with any snipers in Infamous, even on Hard.

Mainly because there are no one hit kills and there is health everywhere.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Uncharted 2 is totally on the list, but I want to go through Uncharted 1 first and since it's still brand new, it might be tough for me to pick up. Both games are super-high on my list of PS3 games I've been dying to play. What I might end up doing is buying Uncharted 2 for my "brother" as a "Christmas present," and then testing it out thoroughly before giving it and the system back to him. :)

I forgot about Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword, both of which I should try to obtain; I might flip a lot of these games from Goozex, and then I can just flip them back when I'm done. And how much is Wipeout HD now?
    Resistance 1 is fun at first but gets super fucking boring and samey awful quick. Don't spend too much time on it when you could be having fun with other games.

I figure I will try it a little bit and just check it out before focusing on other stuff. I'm not a real big FPS fan, but my brother is (Killzone 2 pretty much got him to buy the PS3).
    - Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty (get it this week, it's only $10 on PSN)

I'll be borrowing Tools of Destruction (R&C was always my favorite of the Jak/Ratchet/Sly trio), but I haven't really been paying attention to the other two. Quest for Booty is the PSN-only expansion, right? Is Crack in Time another DLC-ish expansion or a full retail release?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Halo Thr-- Oh.

Nevermind.

:mrgreen:

[tiny]I kid! I kid![/tiny]

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    VC, I guess if you're into bad Fire Emblem clones!

Stop being horribly wrong

Rent on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Uncharted 2 is totally on the list, but I want to go through Uncharted 1 first and since it's still brand new, it might be tough for me to pick up. Both games are super-high on my list of PS3 games I've been dying to play. What I might end up doing is buying Uncharted 2 for my "brother" as a "Christmas present," and then testing it out thoroughly before giving it and the system back to him. :)

I forgot about Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword, both of which I should try to obtain; I might flip a lot of these games from Goozex, and then I can just flip them back when I'm done. And how much is Wipeout HD now?

I figure I will try it a little bit and just check it out before focusing on other stuff. I'm not a real big FPS fan, but my brother is (Killzone 2 pretty much got him to buy the PS3).

I'll be borrowing Tools of Destruction (R&C was always my favorite of the Jak/Ratchet/Sly trio), but I haven't really been paying attention to the other two. Quest for Booty is the PSN-only expansion, right? Is Crack in Time another DLC-ish expansion or a full retail release?

Crack in Time is full retail release. Keep in mind that you don't need Tools of Destruction to play Quest for Booty

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you going to make your own PSN account? In case you ever pick up a PS3 in the future, you can pick up where you left off in terms of trophies and downloads. And also, we can totally play with you.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't have a PS3, but if I did, the Siren remake would be the first thing I downloaded.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The thing about the downloadable Siren though is it's censored for no reason. They removed blood and some scenes. It also takes up more room and I think it costs more than just importing a greatest hits copy, so it's inferior in all ways. However since he's only borrowing the PS3 he doesn't really need to own it and there's no time to import. So while it's a good game it's probably one he's going to have to skip unless he really doesn't mind the censorship.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have this mental image of you biting open a ps3 with your teeth and eating all the electronic components inside because of the thread title.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    The thing about the downloadable Siren though is it's censored for no reason. They removed blood and some scenes. It also takes up more room and I think it costs more than just importing a greatest hits copy, so it's inferior in all ways. However since he's only borrowing the PS3 he doesn't really need to own it and there's no time to import. So while it's a good game it's probably one he's going to have to skip unless he really doesn't mind the censorship.

If one were to do this, which version would we want to order?

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »

If one were to do this, which version would we want to order?

I think Asian or PAL will both work, but I can't vouch on the PAL version. The Asian version is in full english though. The japanese version is not, don't buy that one. Siren went greatest hits a while back too, so you can import the asian version for around $35.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If I remember right, I remember bugging Chance about this a while ago, the PAL version -only- works with HDMI and PAL SDTV signals. So you need it connected to an HD TV with HDMI cables unless you're in PAL land. It also has a few extra features that the Asian version doesn't have as well as an English cover and manual. For all intents and purposes, it's the 'full' version, but if you're not running with HDMI, you're kinda outta luck.

Also, yes, play inFamous.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I grabbed a few demos and will sadly be offline for a few hours this afternoon since I'm going to be stranded at my mother-in-law's, but I'll be bringing the ps3 with. I gambled on buying Flower with almost no knowlege of the game, but am curious about what other PSN titles are recommended. The only ones that jumped out at me were Shatter and Wipeout HD. I already have Super Stardust and Everyday Shooter on PSP, and I know the PS3 versions are better, but want to avoid double-dipping just yet.

The Heavenly Sword demo was really underwhelming; does the full game hold up more? And I really need to find a full copy of Valkyria. <3

Lunker on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As a new PS3 owner, I stumbled onto the thread to see what was being recommended.

Someone mentioned the PS3 Siren, which was this game I wanted to love on the PS2, but had the most atrocious dub ever, with no option for the original audio. In the end, I couldn't stand it anymore and just put it down. :(

So, is the PS3 Siren good? More importantly, does it have dual audio tracks? And if not, how bad is the dub?

Is this the version being suggested?

http://www.himeyashop.com/product_info.php/products_id/10289

aunsoph on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hold on a sec - I thought all ps3 games were region free? Since I plan to be traveling a lot this next year, I'm probably going to pick up a ps3 for Christmas. I should be able to buy a ps3 in america that will be able to play american DVDs and games from anywhere... right?

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hold on a sec - I thought all ps3 games were region free? Since I plan to be traveling a lot this next year, I'm probably going to pick up a ps3 for Christmas. I should be able to buy a ps3 in america that will be able to play american DVDs and games from anywhere... right?

That's what I've heard, anyway.

The same, of course, is not true for PS2 games and DVDs (which makes me very sad, for a number of reasons). But PS3 games are only limited by your understanding of the language.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    aunsoph wrote: »
    As a new PS3 owner, I stumbled onto the thread to see what was being recommended.

Someone mentioned the PS3 Siren, which was this game I wanted to love on the PS2, but had the most atrocious dub ever, with no option for the original audio. In the end, I couldn't stand it anymore and just put it down. :(

So, is the PS3 Siren good? More importantly, does it have dual audio tracks? And if not, how bad is the dub?

I find the dub fine, but because it's americans in japan now the shibito, and usually the japanese characters, all speak in japanese with subtitles when appropriate. I think, maybe they don't subtitle it. It's been a while. The americans speak english and I think they're fine. Way better than the british accents of the first game.

Also that's the japanese version. This is the asian version. You can tell by the lack of a rating in the corner.

Gilder on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

PS3 games are region-free, but you could still run into TV format issues. If you have an HD TV with HDMI cables you should be fine - and older TV or less fancy cable could run into some issues with PAL and NTSC.

Region protection on PS1 and PS2 games is still there, as are DVD regions.
    There is a region-protection system in place Blu Ray movies, but thankfully most studios ignore it. Not all though, Disney.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aunsoph wrote: »

I find the dub fine, but because it's americans in japan now the shibito, and usually the japanese characters, all speak in japanese with subtitles when appropriate. I think, maybe they don't subtitle it. It's been a while. The americans speak english and I think they're fine. Way better than the british accents of the first game.

Also that's the japanese version. This is the asian version. You can tell by the lack of a rating in the corner.

Thanks! I'll import it after my next CC charge. :D

aunsoph on
  • Options
    RazebladeRazeblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jandaru wrote: »

PS3 games are region-free, but you could still run into TV format issues. If you have an HD TV with HDMI cables you should be fine - and older TV or less fancy cable could run into some issues with PAL and NTSC.

Region protection on PS1 and PS2 games is still there, as are DVD regions.
    There is a region-protection system in place Blu Ray movies, but thankfully most studios ignore it. Not all though, Disney.

I can vouch for this. I am in korea due to my work. I bought my ps3 out here. Plays all games weather i bought them from US retail stores or korean ones. The only thing it can't do is play US region dvd's which omg everything else does so i dont mind..

Some games that I would suggest for the thread would be Ghostbusters and Folklore. I can't think of more that haven't been posted a bunch already

Razeblade on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just coming in to repeat that You should really only play MGS4 if you played MGS and MGS2(MGS3 and PO is optional but should be played anyway to get the most out of it) And you are aware about the story in/played MG and MG2. Because after the first act. MGS4 become pretty much one big reference to all the other games and Kojima trying to make a definite ending for 5 other games. in addition there is very little gameplay compared to the amount of cutscenes after that first(fantastic) act.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There is a demo somewhere on the PSN for Warhawk. While easily one of my favorite online games ever, the game has a two teired learning curve. The controlls have alot going on and will take a few hours to wrap your head around. Then there is the wall. The entire comunity that has been playing for nearly two years and will not hesitate to feed you a grenade or knife you while your defending the flag.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll throw another hat in for Uncharted 2. That game is so incredibly distilled my jaw is unhinged for a lot of the time. Tycho wasn't kidding when he said it gives you information overload, there's so much detail in the environments it looks like a movie set. The story has a good pace, changing environments every hour and an amazingly acted cutscene every half hour. The mix between combat and exploration/puzzling is a lot better than Uncharted 1.
    I do suffer some bullshit deaths on Hard, you're really really fragile. Making even more use of cover fixes that though. It also differs subtly in controls for coming off cover in comparison to MGS4, which can be frustrating if you're used to that.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Most of the games worth getting have already been mentioned, but don't overlook Disgaea 3, and at least consider trying Noby Noby Boy.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ArdentMarauderArdentMarauder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Seconding (or fourthing, who's counting) Demon's Souls. Definitely the best PS3 exclusive on the planet, hands down.

Just be patient, soak in the atmosphere, and try to not have your face eaten by soul hungry demons too often. One of these days, it may just stick like that.

ArdentMarauder on