Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Restoring a Netbook to factory settings [Solved]

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User
I recently found a buyer for my Asus 1000HE Netbook. Unfortunately, I never thought about how to restore it...

That, and there's a twist. It also has Fedora 11 on it as a dual-boot, which changed the boot sequence. It now brings up a "press any key to boot into fedora, otherwise will boot into XP" sort of thing.

Is there a quick and easy way to...

A. Fix the bootup
and
B. Restore it to factory settings/XP

From what I can tell, there's no Function key during the POST sequence to restore it. My system-restore doesn't go back as far as I'd like.

If I can't, I'll just clean it up as much as possible I suppose, at least to where it LOOKS new.

GPIA7R on

• wunderbarwunderbar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the only "factory restore" you get on a laptop is re-installing the original OS that came with the laptop. this isn't like an consumer electronics where you can factory reset it with some button combination.

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the only "factory restore" you get on a laptop is re-installing the original OS that came with the laptop. this isn't like an consumer electronics where you can factory reset it with some button combination.

+1

You can erase the Linux partition, wipe the bootloader, resize the XP partition to fill the empty space, and then it'll be about how far back you can make System Restore go.

But this is why you're supposed to make recovery discs/recovery images when you start off.

Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User
    edited October 2009
    I brought that up because Netbooks, at least some of them, have a built-in image creation and restoration function for this sort of thing. Mine doesn't.

And, as I'm sure you know, it's a bit more difficult to do on a Netbook that doesn't include CD's with the original OS (or a CD drive, of course).
    You can erase the Linux partition, wipe the bootloader,

How would one go about wiping the bootloader back to default?

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    How would one go about wiping the bootloader back to default?

Use the XP Recovery Console and use fixmbr at the command prompt.

Alternatively you can use an Ubuntu live-disc following the instructions here using the ms-sys package.

Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Descendant XDescendant X Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My Acer netbook came with a couple of recovery disks used to restore it to factory default. I ended up having to buy a SATA -> USB adapter so that I could use my DVD drive to restore my netbook. It's surprising that your netbook didn't come with some sort of recovery package. Maybe you should check the ASUS site to see if they have anything downloadable.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0533-6031-0948
    Wii U: HankFacepunch
    Feel free to add me.
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Usually netbooks have an extra partition just for that. Maybe you deleted it when you installed Fedora?

Bioptic wrote: »
    Lemmings was pro-Communist propeganda. All are created equal, sorted into specific jobs and roles that they will hold for the rest of their lives by a higher authority, and must sacrifice continuously for the good of the group. Success is measured by meeting quotas and nothing else. Also, nuclear holocaust.
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

edit - Hullo. I am a idiot.

Guys? Hay guys?
    steam_sig.png
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    On the 1000HE you're supposed to be able to press F9 while it's booting up to access the recovery partition. If Fedora changed the boot order and stuff though, you might be able to load up a copy of Norton Ghost and restore it from the partition that way.

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2009
    Looks like linux did screw it up, 'cause I can't F9 to it anymore.

Also can't get into recovery console to recover the bootloader.

There's a "PE" partition, about 5 gigs... some say it's the OS mirror, but I'd bet that's the F9 stuff

• AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited October 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Looks like linux did screw it up, 'cause I can't F9 to it anymore.

Also can't get into recovery console to recover the bootloader.

There's a "PE" partition, about 5 gigs... some say it's the OS mirror, but I'd bet that's the F9 stuff

Grub/lilo/whatever will have a key you can hit at the select OS screen to fuck around with the boot order; you can pritoritize the PE partition and the CD drive there, even if you can't in the BIOS.

edit: e should work.

huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    So this was a major hassle.

Took HD out of netbook and put into my PC. Found the Asus support disc. No dice.

Found an old Windows XP (well, new and unused) CD, booted it and used recovery console on the Asus drive. No dice. Still GRUB'd.

Had to remove my FOUR other Sata drives (just the sata plugs) and leave the netbook drive in, THEN used recovery console - Finally.

Used Asus CD to reimage the HD (has Ghost built in, very nice), took two tries before it stopped giving me the "no operating system" error.

Booted up. Looks great.

Thanks for the suggestions, was a bit more than I wanted to do, and a lot more than I think I should have had to do... This always happens with Linux partitions... Grub screws something up every time.