As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nerd rage and other stories about douchebaggery

STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm sure we all have those stories of people who have flipped out about stupid stuff on World of Warcraft or other online games. Hell, being a former Magic: The Gathering player I experienced it up close.

I was playing a game against someone in the first round of a single elimination draft. I win game 2 and the match after I admittedly drew one of a couple cards that would save me and win me the game. Guy then flips out and calls me every name in the book before storming out the store.

Also this site is good for the lulz. It is a raid leader yelling at his raid in World of Warcraft. http://www.troxed.com/soundboard.php

So D&D, what stories of Nerd Rage do you have?

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Ooh apart from the random namecalling I only remember this one time.

The local internet-café had something called a "night-gib", where you sit and play from like 8pm to 8am. I was there with some friends, and we were something like 12 years old. We were playing Counter-Strike over the LAN, about 80 random people in the café so we had a couple of good sized servers going on.

One of my friends goes on a several rounds long killing spree, over in the corner a 40-something year old guy is getting notably upset from dying all the time. He starts to yell a litte, and the namecalling begins. After a couple more rounds of losing he comes over to where my friend sits and starts screaming at him! The place goes quiet almost instantly and the guy probably realises that he, a 40 year old male, is screaming his lungs out at a 12 year old who beat him fair and square. The dude leaves.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's a fella I used to play Dungeons & Dragons with.

This guy's name was Nate.

Nate was, and I mean this with no hyperbole whatsoever, the worst player and DM of D&D I have ever seen.

And this is a game, I remind you, I have played for over seventeen years.

I have a billion Nate stories and I am not going to blow my load in one post here.

But to just give you a taste: The one time, we were playing and his character died. Simple thing, happens in D&D all the damn time (especially when I'm DMing 8-) ). Nate's response was scrunch his face up, rise from the table, go into another room, punch a hole in the wall, and then storm out of the house and walk away.

He didn't come back that entire night.

Now, to be fair, Nate was a medicated schizophrenic with rage issues, so it wasn't like he was an otherwise normal dude flipping out over nothing.

But it does mean that some of these incidents are unpleasant.

Pony on
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    There's a fella I used to play Dungeons & Dragons with.

This guy's name was Nate.

Nate was, and I mean this with no hyperbole whatsoever, the worst player and DM of D&D I have ever seen.

And this is a game, I remind you, I have played for over seventeen years.

I have a billion Nate stories and I am not going to blow my load in one post here.

But to just give you a taste: The one time, we were playing and his character died. Simple thing, happens in D&D all the damn time (especially when I'm DMing 8-) ). Nate's response was scrunch his face up, rise from the table, go into another room, punch a hole in the wall, and then storm out of the house and walk away.

He didn't come back that entire night.

Now, to be fair, Nate was a medicated schizophrenic with rage issues, so it wasn't like he was an otherwise normal dude flipping out over nothing.

But it does mean that some of these incidents are unpleasant.

Holy fuck. I myself have punched a couple holes in walls, but never over something so small as dying in a goddamned game. I hope that was either his house, or he paid for and fixed the hole.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jeeze man...those sounds boards from the OP....I wonder if he'll ever realize how stupid he is.

1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm sure we all have those stories of people who have flipped out about stupid stuff on World of Warcraft or other online games. Hell, being a former Magic: The Gathering player I experienced it up close.

I was playing a game against someone in the first round of a single elimination draft. I win game 2 and the match after I admittedly drew one of a couple cards that would save me and win me the game. Guy then flips out and calls me every name in the book before storming out the store.

Also this site is good for the lulz. It is a raid leader yelling at his raid in World of Warcraft. http://www.troxed.com/soundboard.php

So D&D, what stories of Nerd Rage do you have?

Jesus. What a cunt. The best part is he's losing his shit over World of Warcraft. Seriously, who gives a shit?

PolloDiablo on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm nerd raging right now because this thread isn't longer.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A girl friend of mine likes making misogynistic Magic card players cry by winning mercilessly.
    That might be a type of nerd rage.

Hachface on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nerd Rage is the main reason I didn't get into the raiding party and shit on WoW. I made some good friends in the top notch guilds and every now and then they would invite me to tag along on their lower end raids (things they've completed and can do easily) for shits and giggles. I wouldn't get gear (didn't care) and it was really just for the experience of seeing things like that. But the friends I had would tell me how their raid leader would some times flip out and shit. That's why I didn't care to get in the guild. I liked my casual guild just fine. People were awesome and very laid back. Made the game very enjoyable.

In any case. I do remember one time in WoW we were doing those bosses in Sithilis (this was pre-burning crusade and right after they changed Sithilis around to make it an area people would go to). The ones you had to user items to summon. Well in any case, it was a PUG and I was high as can be. Because it was a PUG people weren't expected to be on VENT or anything. So I'm a bit too high that I'm not reading chat because, well, I'm not even looking at the screen. I can't remember what I was doing. Well next thing I know the mob is on my screen and I start to panic, so I send my pet (hunter obviously) and start shooting the shit out of it. Well turns out that the mob was just summoned and the tank hadn't grabbed aggro yet. So I caused the party to wipe and the mob disappeared. Man they were so pissed. They didn't know it was me, but the threatened to rape the perp with a wooden spoon. Oh well.

MtG nerd rage not involving me. Apparently there's this one douche that would play at our LGS that sucked at Magic. But because his girlfriend/fiance was rich as hell, she paid for his hobby. So he would have foiled decks all the time and shit. He would then throw these decks whenever he lost. Across the room and shit (one of them had 4 foil Tarmogoyfs in it). One time he allegedly threw it in the face of someone else as hard as he could when he lost to him.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2009
    Dungeons and Dragons has produced some rather inspired acts of nerd rage that I have witnessed over the years.

People screaming and tearing their character sheet up when they died, getting sandy vaginas whenever the game doesn't go the way they want (why did you all fall to the dark side? I want to play a jedi and if you are all going to be evil just because thats the kind of game the DM wants to run then I guess I won't play any more. Oh, you kill my good guy? I am going to roll an undercover jedi who will try and make you all good again, but ultimately be the same character you all just killed, cause hughalughalugh)

Man, I don't get how people get so screwy over a game, I really don't.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When DMing D&D in middle school, I was physically assaulted after putting a girdle of femininity/masculinity in a dragon's treasure hoard (it was of course disguised as a belt of giant's strength).

For those who don't know, in 2nd edition D&D, the gridle of masculinity/femininity was a cursed magic item that permanently and irrevocably changed the gender of the wearer. By the rules of the game, only a deity could reverse the effect.

I admit that it was a douchey DM thing to do (sue me I was 13), but did it merit getting hit in the forehead with a paper weight? I think not.

Hachface on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Personal nerd rage moment.

While I was in a college I was in a D&D group that managed to play the same characters for several years. Needless to say, we were pretty attached to them. There was also, like any good D&D group, a fair amount if in fighting. Entire nights were lost to us fighting one another. It wasn't productive, but it was fun.

Things were winding down one night when my party nemesis decides it is time to fuck with me. He casts a sphere of invulnerability around me (I failed the save). Another mage in the party thinks this is hilarious, casts Bigsby's forcful had and start batting me around. My nemesis does the same, and they start playing handball with a really pissed off dwarf in a giant guinea pig ball.

I pick up my shit, storm out of the room, jump in my car, speed off, hit an ice patch and take out a light pole. Thankfuly it was still on campus and I didn't have to call the cops.

I have also broken several controller, most recently SFIV drove me to go after my arcade stick with a pair of scissors after jumping up and down on it.

...so embarassing.

chamberlain on
  • pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've posted this before, but, I think it fits here.

I was playing FFVIII and was really in to the card game, Triple Triad (or whatever it was called). Anyway, at one point in the game I managed to get the Random rule spread. This means that you have no control over what cards you pick. Usually this means you'll get a handful of shit and one good card, the computer will usually beat the shit out of you and take the one good card you have. This happened to me several times. The last time it happened I threw my controller to the ground and stomped it in to oblivion.

That was probably the worst thing I've ever done because of a video game. Usually now I just punch a pillow or something.

Recently, however, I was playing through GoW and the swimming part almost caused significantly bad things to happen. After attempting one particularly nasty part about 30 times I walked all over my basement, very pissed, looking for something to throw. Eventually I found a CD jewel case. I carefully took the CD out and proceeded to throw it right at the wall as hard as I could. It was just a CD case, so who cares.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    phekno wrote: »
    The last time it happened I threw my controller to the ground and stomped it in to oblivion.

Made me laugh reading this. But yeah, that part of the card game pissed me off soooooooooooo much. Especially when you work so hard to get the good cards like the characters and GFs.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you've ever beaten a call of duty on veteran, you've had a nerd rage moment.

John Matrix on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I nearly lost two of my best friends while playing Four Swords Adventures.

Qingu on
    edited October 2009
    The only time I ever nerd raged was what got me to quit playing WoW. It was about three years ago and I was dragged out to dinner with my family and I was just super pissy the whole night.

The nights low point was when I was standing outside with my brothers girlfriend and she asked me what was wrong and I proceeded to scream about how I was missing a raid. I promptly realized how stupid I sounded and the second I got home I deleted my character and account hah!

edited October 2009
    The only time I ever nerd raged was what got me to quit playing WoW. It was about three years ago and I was dragged out to dinner with my family and I was just super pissy the whole night.

The nights low point was when I was standing outside with my brothers girlfriend and she asked me what was wrong and I proceeded to scream about how I was missing a raid. I promptly realize how stupid I sounded and the second I got home I deleted my character and account hah!

If only half of WoW's users would follow this model.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

Because you almost murdered them right?

Man, I don't know what it is about that game but it turns otherwise sensible people into raging cocktards.

These same people mind you were the very image of co-operative teammates in FF:CC by the way, a game where you are ACTUALLY competing for loot that will have an actual effect on your character.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I used to play DOTA. A great game often ruined by generally shitty people. I can think of multiple instances involving racial slurs, massive swearing, and otherwise horrible nerd rage moments. The sad thing is they were so constant that they all just sort of blur together in my memory.

Really glad I don't play that game anymore.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
    edited October 2009
    Growing up, my brother was a big douche sometimes and would eat both turkeys in Streets of Rage 2 and 3. This would cause me to beat his ass. Not sure if this counts, cause I wasn't really a nerd then.

DOTA is full of cock bags that should be put to fucking sleep with a sledgehammer. I cannot stand playing with people that take games like that so serious.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

The nights low point was when I was standing outside with my brothers girlfriend and she asked me what was wrong and I proceeded to scream about how I was missing a raid. I promptly realize how stupid I sounded and the second I got home I deleted my character and account hah!

If only half of WoW's users would follow this model.

Oh man I thought I sounded like a prick and then ya listen to these videos with people screaming over vent and you wonder how these people all haven't had heart attacks and died yet.

• AgentBryantAgentBryant CTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have little to contribute, but I might as well.

I used to play Wolf:ET competitively. In online leagues and whatnot. There was one particular guy on one of the top tier teams who was known for blowing up on ventrilo, often causing the departure of some teammates. Eventually someone thought of recording him during this. This particular event was prior to quakecon 2005, I think. The guy was yelling at someone for some stupid thing they did or didn't do in a non-match game. The recording starts somewhere in the middle of his explosion. It's boring at times, but it also has its moments. One of the guys on the team at the time sent me the audio for it and it was promptly added to ytmnd, where it remains:

http://etisseriousbusiness.ytmnd.com/

That is probably the best I have to offer.

AgentBryant on
    edited October 2009
    Wolf:ET was an amazingly awesome game. Best part was that it was free.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was never a D&D player, i was into MERP (Middle Earth Roll Playing) and i had a awesome character that i had for years. In what was a year long campaign, during the 2nd to last battle, he had his arm chopped off by a level 1 pure luck multiple crit. Complete bullshit and i actually did punch a hole in the wall.

Which was in hindsight funny because he was resurrected about 2 hours later on purpose, as a pre planned plot point for the epic game, he was supposed to die and come back and i didnt realize it. Damn that was a god DM. He realized that the character was so good that he was basically becoming "the tank" and was actually fast becoming unplayable for me, so he made him a temp npc.

The nerd rage that i hate on now, as people that are not me, is the nerd rage where people have to be right. As in everything, political beliefs, religious beliefs, estimation beliefs.

Simple Example:
    You are in class/school doing a math problem and you get the answer right but write it down incorrectly. Like an answer is 1 1/2" and you write down 1.5" and the TA marks it wrong because you wrote it down wrong. You correct your answer and its the end of the issue for you, you move on with life.

But no, the TA has to point it out for an hour, yell at you in front of the class, inform you that you arn't technically right about 20 times as if you personally offended him by an honest mistake. Why, because going against the established rules is terrifying for him.

Barcardi on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When I get bored on xbox live, I start to troll

It turns out to be more fun than actually playing the game

I have amassed a great deal of verbal threats of injury, death, and fucking (?) in the form of xbox live voice messages

The favorite one of mine on my hard drive is an indian kid who can barely speak english tell me that "Did your mom FUCK your dad?"

Why yes

yes I believe she probably did

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Man, I don't know what it is about that game but it turns otherwise sensible people into raging cocktards.

These same people mind you were the very image of co-operative teammates in FF:CC by the way, a game where you are ACTUALLY competing for loot that will have an actual effect on your character.
    We all almost murdered each other with the exception of Purple Link, a genuinely nice guy who constantly got up to "make a sandwich" while the rest of us threw each other off of cliffs to try to get the boomerang first.

And yeah, same good experience with FF:CC here.

I honestly think Four Swords Adventures should be banned.

Qingu on
    edited October 2009
    also I kept using a cheap tactic back in the day of DOA 4 whlist choosing the yellow suit variation of the bruce lee guy every time.

some guy sent me a 4 second voice message after I had killed him for the upteenth time

"YOU BANANASUIT FUCK!!!"

Tasteticle on

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    also I kept using a cheap tactic back in the day of DOA 4 whlist choosing the yellow suit variation of the bruce lee guy every time.

some guy sent me a 4 second voice message after I had killed him for the upteenth time

"YOU BANANASUIT FUCK!!!"

We get it, you're a dick.

See, now you brought the nerd rage out of me. Curse you!

noir_blood on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A friend of mine and his brother are the epitome of video game nerd ragers. Not in multiplayer games, though, oddly enough. Most of their antics involve destruction of gaming equipment, but my particular two favorites:

Younger brother is playing Half Life 2 and, after dying yet again at some particular point, grabs his flat-screen monitor with one hand and proceeds to punch it with the other fist. I happened to be passing his bedroom at the time and found this hilarious. Particularly since, after punching it a few times, he went back to playing as though nothing happened.

Elder brother was playing some incarnation of Madden on a borrowed xbox. He lost to the computer after a long game in a manner he felt to be unfair, so he yanked the controller cable out of the xbox, began whirling the (original, enormous) controller about his head like a mace, and then smashed it into the TV. Amazingly the TV was unharmed, so he whirled the controller back up to speed and smashed it into the TV stand instead, shattering it (the controller) into many small pieces.

He then picked up the other controller and, upon losing again, did exactly the same thing a second time.

The madness doesn't stop there, though. Feeling bad for having destroyed both controllers for a borrowed system, he goes to the store and buys two more. Then proceeds to play some more Madden and smashes a third controller in the same day. That has since become known simply as The Day that [redacted] Bought Three Xbox Controllers.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Picture the scene: I'm in college, sophomore year. 19-year-old me is sitting on the floor in my dorm room, playing some FFIX. I'm having one of those "2 bosses and a huge cutscene before a save point" moments. But I cleared it. And I'm saving.

The exact second - and I shit you not here - I hit the X button and the progress bar started, the power in the entire building died. Complete silence. And my game is no longer on the TV screen.

You can imagine how I reacted. Incoherent swearing. Twitching. I mean, I was home free! I was this close!

...and somehow, when I loaded the game later on that night, not only was my memory card not corrupted, but my progress had saved. I was estatic . . . and a bit confused.

iglidante on
    edited October 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »

"YOU BANANASUIT FUCK!!!"

We get it, you're a dick.

See, now you brought the nerd rage out of me. Curse you!

Listen man

If I can get a full grown man to scream at me over an online game

you best believe I am going to do it

Tasteticle on

• BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Have you ever thought about, I don't know, knitting?

Bama on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

We all almost murdered each other with the exception of Purple Link, a genuinely nice guy who constantly got up to "make a sandwich" while the rest of us threw each other off of cliffs to try to get the boomerang first.

FSA is on the list with Diplomacy and Dokapon Kingdom as games that will ruin friendships. The only real difference is that DK and Diplomacy are set up to be adversarial while 4SA just has a side goal of obtaining meaningless force gems.

I guess one could blame the P-A comic for spreading the hate around, but I think it is within man's very nature to be a cockbag in that game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited October 2009
    iglidante wrote: »
    Picture the scene: I'm in college, sophomore year. 19-year-old me is sitting on the floor in my dorm room, playing some FFIX. I'm having one of those "2 bosses and a huge cutscene before a save point" moments. But I cleared it. And I'm saving.

The exact second - and I shit you not here - I hit the X button and the progress bar started, the power in the entire building died. Complete silence. And my game is no longer on the TV screen.

You can imagine how I reacted. Incoherent swearing. Twitching. I mean, I was home free! I was this close!

...and somehow, when I loaded the game later on that night, not only was my memory card not corrupted, but my progress had saved. I was estatic . . . and a bit confused.

Yeah, this has happened to me before. Apparently it doesn't always corrupt data when saving and this happens. I was saving a 70 something hour game of FFVII when this happened to me.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    Bama wrote: »

What do you think I do while doing all of this?

Tasteticle on

• FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

My wife happily played FF:CC with me and my friends but after a single experience she steadfastly refused to touch FSA. The guy who played Red Link and I (Purple Link) both turned into raging assholes the second we powered the game on, and Blue Link was only marginally better. My favorite thing to do was throw the huge bomb at my teammates whenever one appeared at the end of the stage.

I am hoping for similar good times with NSMB Wii.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Masturbate furiously

Bama on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    when i played wow (and ultimately decided to quit) this lady had setup a puggish guild when MC was the top thing. I joined the group as main priest with a couple of my friends in our small guild. I decided that I didnt enjoy raiding after spending like 6 hours doing this shit. the very next week she basically just took some item instead of having people roll for it and shit went south. the only record i can find of it is this ytmnd

http://emodruid.ytmnd.com/

theres some other shit about it, but i didnt feel like digging through it. next time i logged in i /gquit and immediately got a pm asking why from her.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited October 2009

Masturbate furiously

into what I have named 'the dream catcher'

Tasteticle on

• mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No video game caused more nerd rage moments for me and my friends than Everquest. EQ didnt have the perks of modern MMO's such as xp debt and respawing with your stuff. When your group wiped at the bottom of a dungeon, you respawned naked, shivering and with a large chunk of XP gone. It wasnt uncommon to DE-level if you were not far enough into your current level.

I had just grinded through the worst of EQ's "hell levels" which for some reason took considerably more XP to get through and hit level 41. One of my roommates came into my room and ended up spilling a drink all over my desk as my group was pulling. I ended up dead and lost roughly half a level of XP and ended up back in the middle of level 40.

I may or may not have tried to murder him with a wireless keyboard.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg