As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerd rage and other stories about douchebaggery

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want to use kwyjibo in a Scrabble game and see if it gets called.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What happens if you challenge and it's a real word? Do they get double points or something?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    What happens if you challenge and it's a real word? Do they get double points or something?

You lose your turn.

Plus, shame.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »

You lose your turn.

Plus, shame.

what if I play a bullshit word and can't bluff my way out of it?

Arch on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    From Wikipedia:
    The penalty for a successfully challenged play is nearly universal: the offending player removes the tiles played and forfeits the turn. (However, in some online games, an option known as "void" may be used, wherein unacceptable words are automatically rejected by the program. The player is then required to make another play, with no penalty applied.)

The penalty for an unsuccessful challenge (where all words formed by the play are deemed valid) varies considerably, including:

* The "double challenge" rule, in which an unsuccessfully challenging player must forfeit the next turn. This penalty governs North American (NSA-sanctioned) tournaments, and is the standard for North American, Israeli and Thai clubs. Because loss of a turn generally constitutes the greatest risk for an unsuccessful challenge, it provides the greatest incentive for a player to "bluff," or play a "phony" – a plausible word that they know or suspect to be unacceptable, hoping their opponent will not call them up on it. Players have divergent opinions on this aspect of the double-challenge game and the ethics involved, but officially it is considered a valid part of the game.
    * A pure "single challenge" or "free challenge" rule, in which no penalty whatsoever is applied to a player who unsuccessfully challenges. This is the default rule in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, as well as for many tournaments in Australia, although these countries do sanction occasional tournaments using other challenge rules.
    * A modified "single challenge" rule, in which an unsuccessful challenge does not result in the loss of the challenging player's turn, but is penalized by the loss of a specified number of points. The most common penalty is five points. The rule has been adopted in Singapore (since 2000), Malaysia (since 2002), South Africa (since 2003), New Zealand (since 2004), and Kenya, as well as in contemporary World Scrabble Championships (since 2001). Some countries and tournaments (including Sweden) use a 10-point (or 5-point) penalty instead. In most game situations, this penalty is much lower than that of the "double challenge" rule; consequently, such tournaments encourage a greater willingness to challenge and a lower willingness to play dubious words.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

You lose your turn.

Plus, shame.
    If you're playing a timed match the other player is allowed to dance in a taunting manner for the duration of your forfeited turn. In non-timed match he is allowed a brief celebratory gesture.

Bama on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In KalTorak Scrabble rules, an unsuccessful challenge would result in a hurled dictionary to the groin.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boardgames are a great counter for nerd rage: it's harder to quibble about rules, there's less emotional investment (you haven't spent $200 on models or cards), there's (usually) less room for people to yell about balance, and having one Aspernaut in a group of four or five is preferable to playing with one by yourself. If nothing else, they're less likely to hulk out because there are more disapproving eyes on them.

Having said that, someone actually threw my Tannhauser minis at me once. It's really easy to kill characters in that game, and I wiped out a bunch of my opponent's within the first two turns. It didn't really escalate because we were playing 2 on 2 and everyone just stared until things got uncomfortable.

hehe... you've never played Monopoly in "da hood" have you?

The rules vary from houst to house. From the time I was about 5 until 9, I thought that taxes collected always went under Free Parking and whoever landed on it got all the collected money. Of course, I also believed you couldn't buy property until you made one lap around the board either. Taking those rules to someone elses house was sure to spark a fight.

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    Boardgames are a great counter for nerd rage: it's harder to quibble about rules, there's less emotional investment (you haven't spent $200 on models or cards), there's (usually) less room for people to yell about balance, and having one Aspernaut in a group of four or five is preferable to playing with one by yourself. If nothing else, they're less likely to hulk out because there are more disapproving eyes on them.

Having said that, someone actually threw my Tannhauser minis at me once. It's really easy to kill characters in that game, and I wiped out a bunch of my opponent's within the first two turns. It didn't really escalate because we were playing 2 on 2 and everyone just stared until things got uncomfortable.

The rules vary from houst to house. From the time I was about 5 until 9, I thought that taxes collected always went under Free Parking and whoever landed on it got all the collected money. Of course, I also believed you couldn't buy property until you made one lap around the board either. Taking those rules to someone elses house was sure to spark a fight.

Anyone who doesn't use the Free Parking money pot rule isn't worth playing with.

It also starts with $500 at the beginning of the game.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Now that I think about it, I suppose I should amend this to "boardgames I didn't play as a kid." Because we were some pretty epic schmucks when we played Parchesi and Uno, too. Although it was never sullen or violent, antisocial behavior. We played in a culture of mutually-assured jerkiness. Especially Parchesi... we used to make blockades that lasted for HOURS.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Anyone who doesn't use the Free Parking money pot rule isn't worth playing with.

It also starts with $500 at the beginning of the game.

That house rule is the reason monopoly is so reviled. Without it it's almost passable.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I remember the first time I played Monopoly 100% "by the book". I played the video game version on Win3.11 and, IIRC, there was an option to play by Parker Brother's rules or by "house rules".

Buying property when you first start seemed... odd.

logic7 on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I remember one time when I was playing my wife (then girlfriend) in some N64 pool game that she was really good at. After she beat the shit out of me, I had a little cursing fit, threw the controller, and gave her a lot of crap for beating me. She said I was being a little bitch about it, so I then said "Fuck you" in that non-joking, "I really mean it" tone. She left not too long afterwards, and we didn't talk for three days. I called her up and acted like nothing happened, and we didn't mention that day again for a couple years. Thankfully she didn't hold it against me.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    People that quote wikipedia excessively don't yet inspire rage in me, but its reaching that point.... much like the word "compelling" in game reviews.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    People that quote wikipedia excessively don't yet inspire rage in me, but its reaching that point.... much like the word "compelling" in game reviews.

people that quote wikipedia excessively DO bring me to a boil unless it's for something something like taxonomy.

quoting Wikipedia's accounts of a major event as fact is silly UNLESS it has excellent footnotes (which a suprising amount of wiki entries do have).

logic7 on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember seeing some stupid CSI-style TV show that took place at a Scrabble tournament where a guy had been killed.

Player A plays a complicated, unfamiliar noun. Player B doubts him, but Player A assures him that it's a word and gives a definition. Player B concurs, then sticks an 'S' on the end of the word to pluralize it. Player A challenges on the grounds that it's a fake word.

I forget which player ended up killing the other by jamming the tiles down his throat.
    A) It wasn't just a CSI-type show, it was CSI (pretty sure Grissom was on this particular case as well)
    B) Player B killed player A, although I think it may have been unintentional. He forced him to eat the tiles from the fake word, but player A was prety hefty and being threatened with a gun and (I think) had a heart attack or something.
    Either way, excellent example of nerd rage on TV.

Also, blue dotting this thread to add a WoW story or two when I get home.

Bobble on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    People saying that wikipedia doesn't hold valid information for anything as it can be edited by anyone makes me rage.

Cause if anyone edits anything there will be like 50 people checking that editing within five seconds of it being posted and it will be automatically corrected if wrong/biased/etc. An encyclopedia is comparably much less reliable.

Daxon on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember seeing some stupid CSI-style TV show that took place at a Scrabble tournament where a guy had been killed.

Player A plays a complicated, unfamiliar noun. Player B doubts him, but Player A assures him that it's a word and gives a definition. Player B concurs, then sticks an 'S' on the end of the word to pluralize it. Player A challenges on the grounds that it's a fake word.

I forget which player ended up killing the other by jamming the tiles down his throat.

Player B. It wasn't even murder

He just wanted to make him

8-)

eat his words.

Leitner on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I propose Risk is the board game most amenable to nerd rage. I have seen some epic Risk meltdowns.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

Player B. It wasn't even murder

He just wanted to make him

8-)

eat his words.

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I used to love free parking pot of fees houserule, but through repeated playtesting you learn that it is a total trap.

It turns a normal monopoly slog fest into the grueling psychological torment the game is well known for.

How are you ever going to knock someone out when they have the chance to get a couple grand every ten turns or so?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

I propose Risk is the board game most amenable to nerd rage. I have seen some epic Risk meltdowns.

Holy shit yes. Way back in the day when I'd play against some friends and my brother, they'd always form an alliance and crush me first. I'd usually make a valliant last stand at Argentina or Japan, ending by punching the board and claiming I was playing the 'nuclear option'.

Man now I want to play Risk again, without acting like a douchebag.

Havelock on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

Holy shit yes. Way back in the day when I'd play against some friends and my brother, they'd always form an alliance and crush me first. I'd usually make a valliant last stand at Argentina or Japan, ending by punching the board and claiming I was playing the 'nuclear option'.
    My parents played backgammon on their honeymoon.
    My mother is very good at backgammon.
    My father is very good at 'accidentally' flipping a table and declaring the game over anyway, and then forgetting the incident ever happened.
    I've heard the story several times. So beware, as nerd-rage can make for long-lived stories.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

Man now I want to play Risk again, without acting like a douchebag.

I regret to tell you, but Argentina doesn't have nuclear weapons and I'm pretty sure Japan doesn't either.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    supposedly a lot of the stuff on that troxed soundboard is faked, in the sense that he didn't actually say it live during a raid. Still funny though.

WoW is interesting in that the raid environment winds up putting a bunch of people in social leadership roles when they aren't necessarily used to being in that position (cause lolnerds, right?) The results range from hilarious to fascinating to sad.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    supposedly a lot of the stuff on that troxed soundboard is faked, in the sense that he didn't actually say it live during a raid. Still funny though.

WoW is interesting in that the raid environment winds up putting a bunch of people in social leadership roles when they aren't necessarily used to being in that position (cause lolnerds, right?) The results range from hilarious to fascinating to sad.

:^:

WAR gets that a lot to. Or used to. I'm not sure anymore, since I haven't logged in forever.

Never experienced it on vent, but man you'd get some real pants-on-head retarded armchair generals on WAR. Who felt that typing in ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME and kicking any players that disagreed with The Glorious Plan constituted good leadership.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I see your Risk and raise you: Stratego.

logic7 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    pssh, diplomacy

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I've never had any nerd rage moments with Stratego. Probably because it's always been a bit of a 'lolwut' game to me.

Havelock on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think at the worst, my "nerd rage" moments involved throwing a controller at the ground (never broke one though) or hitting my keyboard/desk. When I first started playing online games (I was maybe 10, starting with stuff like EverQuest and Half-Life), I found griefing to be a great way to release anger. It took me until probably 16 or 17 to understand that the sole purpose of playing video games for me is to have fun, and getting angry over them isn't fun, so maybe I just shouldn't get angry over them. Easy solution.

I got banned from so many Counter-Strike servers for TKing. Better than that though was wounding people to near 1 health, then they TK you, and they get kicked/banned.

I guess the worst nerd rage I've witnessed was my older brother getting pissed at while playing the Mario Tennis game on our virtual boy and throwing the whole thing across the room. That only caused the stand to break, making it that much more uncomfortable to play.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bobble wrote: »

A) It wasn't just a CSI-type show, it was CSI (pretty sure Grissom was on this particular case as well)
    B) Player B killed player A, although I think it may have been unintentional. He forced him to eat the tiles from the fake word, but player A was prety hefty and being threatened with a gun and (I think) had a heart attack or something.
    Either way, excellent example of nerd rage on TV.

Also, blue dotting this thread to add a WoW story or two when I get home.

Player B was played by Andy Hallet of Angel. One of his few roles before his untimely death.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    oh... there's countless times where I've launched in to expletive laden tirades at campers hooked on ceilings and whatnot while playing Rune Quake.

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah. I've raged over every single video game I've ever played at one point or another.

The most recent one has been the DoW: Dark Crusade single player campaign on Imperial Guard. Necrons are so much bullshit.

It's the only RTS that's made me ragequit for a night.

Havelock on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Player B was played by Andy Hallet of Angel. One of his few roles before his untimely death.

Oh man, I thought you were talking about late-70's rock sensation* Angel, and was trying to figure out which one he was. That's very sad, though.

Stratego was always funny because we used to try to freak each other out by completely surrounding the flag with bombs, and then (once everyone caught on), surrounding the general with bombs instead. But that would never work because the opponent would blunder into the flag on a routine scouting mission instead of uncovering your DEVIOUS AND CUNNING FLAG DECOY. Yeah, we were way dumb.

Steering this back to nerd rage... a friend of mine once played in a Thanksgiving Warmachine tournament at the LGS. People brought canned goods in and donated them to buy rerolls and additional dice; it was completely hilarious and had no actual prize, aside from the Warm Glow you experience when Helping Others. It may have been called Cranberrythralls or something like that, I don't remember.

Anyway, my friend pulled off a really crazy canned-good combo that gave him like six damage dice or something horrible. His opponent was so mad that he yelled at everyone and stormed out of the tournament. There was no prize. The whole thing was to help hungry people. Yeah. That was the lone exception, though.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kakos kind of nerd raged on me for not role playing my character seriously enough in the Mage game he was DMing. :P

Edit: I am no longer allowed to play in any of his role playing games.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have wanted to go into nerd rage over monopoly rules.

I always try to clarify and agree on the rules to that game before I start because everyone thinks they know the rules, but have different ones.

I get real angry with people who don't allow you to collect rent and conduct business while in jail. ITS IN THE GOD DAMNED RULES! It defines the whole mechanic of the late game! Going to jail is actually beneficial once you have monopolies.

I'll strangle a motherfucker that doesn't let me be a jailhouse slum lord

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Stratego is shit.

Stratego: Legends on the other hand is fucking epic. It's so good.

Daxon on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I flew into a bit of rage back years ago during a 2 vs 1 Goldeneye 64 session, when we were playing on golden gun my brother and his friend just camped out at spawn points and never let me move.

Atomika on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dude. Shooters. Gotta nerd rage over shooters. Especially if you play really intense ones, with teams. CS, when you accidentally team flash at B right before the other team comes out tunnels. Or Halo, where something lame happens right before the end of the round and your team loses. Especially on "Double Team" mode. Or COD4 where your whole team gets bombed into oblivion at the last second. Or Battlefield(any of them) where you lose by a single ticket.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7153152098207965240#

I WANT SOME MOTHER FUCKIN' CHOCOLATE MILK!

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The best monopoly argument I had was when me and a friend bailed out another friend after he went bankrupt by taking 50% share each of his entity as condition of the loan, then appointing him non voting chairman of his board of directors. The person who had thought she had bankrupted him was very angry - but since she couldn't point to the "no sham corporate structures" rule she had to let it slide.

We haven't played it since, which is fair enough

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!