As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PBP] Under The Sea OOC: We Make Soft C Sounds

SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Critical Failures
Do you know what you stand on? Land? That is correct. Land. Soil. Crust. This is not always how it was. This is not the way it was meant to be! We have fled, no, we have been chased, no, we have been poached from our rightful home! It was thirty years ago this night that we retreated from our underwater abodes! THIRTY YEARS! For thirty years we have labored above land to retake our lost heritage! For thirty years our allies have defended us from the followers of Vecna as if we were helpless pups! For thirty years we have been suppressed, our greatness crushed beneath the weight of an open sky!

But no longer. Before we can take back our lives, we must crush the destroyers of knowledge! Before we can undo what has been done, we must show that we shall stand for ourselves! Before we can stand victorious, we must fight! And fight we shall! Before us lies the enemy! Before us lies the home of those that would deny us our victory, deny us our houses, deny us our lives.

Do not let them deny us anything but defeat!

You know of the plan. Your squad leaders have filled you in. The stakes tonight could not be clearer. But we will not fail! For victory! For knowledge! For a return to the sea! NOW! TO ARMS! CHARGE!

- General Nathan Plurm, Alliance of Spheres, speech to troops before a raid on a Vecna storehouse.

I know it. You know it. Everyone knows it. You're going to be humming the song. I'm humming the song right now. We might as well get it out of the way.

Alright. Listen through the song. I'll wait.

No I won't.

Under The Sea is my homebrew campaign setting for Dungeons and Dragon's Fourth Edition. The gist of the world is that Humans and Dwarves used to live in large underwater 'spheres'. Each sphere was a giant air bubble which, when held open and attached to the ocean floor via magic, provided a several mile wide area for life to exist. Thirty years ago, however, something or someone made the animals of the ocean into ultra violent/horrific caricatures of themselves.

As you might expect, this didn't bode well for the spheres.

Almost every small sphere breached then flooded, and every single larger sphere was invaded by all manner of monsters, warped sea creatures, and Vecna worshiping human turncoats. It is only through the intervention of the gods that a scant few humans were able to make it to the entryways that now pointed directly towards shore. With barely any possessions and nearly a million humans and dwarves killed, the few remaining people started to eek out a living amongst the now open skyline.

That was three decades ago, and the human and dwarven races have managed (in no small part due to the gods) to rebound spectacularly. Now is time for new heroes to come to light to reclaim the underwater home that they may of only heard about...and to fight creatures that are the stuff of horrific legends.

It sounds like fun!

Power Sources

Martial
People hit shit. Hurrrrrrr duuuurrrrrrrr.

Arcane
Magic used to be the only thing keeping the weight of the water from crashing through the thin air bubble and killing everyone. Despite that being over a quarter of a century ago, mages (And anyone who can use magic in general) are still held in quite high regard. In fact, almost all minor public figures (elected or no) still have some magical ability.

Almost all magic takes the form of something that can be found underwater. Natural magic takes its cue from kelp and coral, fire from magma veins and hot water, dark magic from the inky blackness of the deeper parts of the ocean, etc. Water and air based magic are still that, however.

Divine
Most people have eschewed following a single god and instead follow 'pantheons', groupings of gods ranked on how helpful they have been to human and dwarven kind. Depending on which pantheon you worship, you're either the new shit (YEEEAAAHHH) or a loco to be kept away from the children. The Pantheons are as follows:

The New Pantheon: Ioun, Sehanine, Kord, Melora, Moradin
The Middle Pantheon: Avandra, Bahamut, Kord, Corellon
The Old Pantheon: Erathis, Pelor, The Raven Queen

A Rundown of the Gods:

Ioun: The newest member of the New Pantheon. Was bumped up from The Old Pantheon because, after doing nothing to fight Vecna, suddenly came out swinging and managed to rescue an entire library worth of books, each book brimming with vital knowledge. Priests of Ioun are pretty much treated like rockstars.

Sehanine: Helped keep the dwarves and humans hidden on their journey from the shore to a suitable living place. Her priests tend to be very open and showy.

Kord: Kord is unique, as scholars have yet to place him in either the New or Middle Pantheons. Generally thought of as helpful, but most dwarves are still pissed at him for creating a storm inside of a sphere that managed to kill a legion of enemies...but, in the process, destroyed an entire Dwarven Coral Citadel.

Melora: God of the Sea. Why the hell else do you think she's on the New Pantheon? Is all for taking back the spheres, and many of those who escaped from a doomed sphere still say prayers to her.

Moradin: Not well liked by humans. Still loved by Dwarves. Created Warforged; somewhat of a tinkerer.

Avandra: Has yet to summon a forest fire to wipe the fledgling human/dwarves off the face of the planet. Hasn't exactly made the stay under the sky any easier, though. Has plans, but her timetable is a bit longer than...well...long.

Bahamut: Called "The Indifferent". Did nothing to help Human/Dwarf kind. Didn't hinder them either. More in the Middle Pantheon because nobody cares about him anymore. He doesn't care about humans/dwarves anymore. It's a mutually beneficial 'meh' fest here.

Corellon: Totally new to the underwater dwellers, Corellon is the major god of the 'sky dwellers' religion. Here, like Bahamut, because nobody who would worship a Pantheon cares about Corellon.

Erathis: Civilization just crashed down around the ears of the spheres (hehe). Disliked.

Pelor: God of the Sun amongst a people who want nothing more than to run away from the sun and get back underwater. Not hated so much as wanted to stay away from. Only kooks and surface dwellers worship him.

The Raven Queen: The god of fate. Fate just delt them the worst hand ever. You can see why she is the most hated god ever.

Worshiping the Pantheons over a single god is still mostly a human/dwarven tradition, however. Most Sky Dwellers (and others!) still worship a single god over a pantheon.

Primal
Primal powers mostly draw their power from mythical sea creatures: Narwhales, Giant Sea Turtles, etc. This is a highly personal decision and there is no organized religion or belief system. Rebellious teens are known to worship surface creatures and plants, but their parents are sure it's just a fad.

The Races

Humans: They lived in spheres. Underwater. In the sea. Dur. Overall, they've lost the least moving to the surface. Surface materials are actually a bit better than kelp for building, well, buildings, they've adapted to the sky, nature hasn't burnt their houses down, etc. They really hate Vecna, though. Loathe Vecna. Piss in chamber pots with Vecna's face traced into the bottom. You know. Hate.

Dragonborn: Can trace their lineage directly to giant underwater serpents. Those serpents went insane and helped flood many spheres. Very very rare, but most of the sins of their big brothers have been forgiven. Not so much disliked as just so rare that most people haven't formed any prejudices against them.

Deva: The gods have had a direct hand in human affairs, and nowhere is this clearer than the Deva. Why? Well, when a Daddy Divine Being loves a Mommy Human or Dwarf very very much....out spring Devas! No matter to what race they're born to, Devas grow to be seven foot tall blue creatures with the brain of the gods but the emotions of mortals. Brand new to the world. Early signs show that they reincarnate with all of their memories, but since most are still young and there are only a few of them, those rumors go as just that: rumors.

Dwarves: Think of generic fantasy dwarves. Just, instead of rock, they work with Coral. Most are blue like Devas, although some 'normal' colored dwarves have sprung up. They are the main driving force behind finding a way to reopen pathways to the few spheres that were abandoned instead of invaded. They are just as numerous as humans. Life on the surface? Yeah. It blows for them. Stone isn't the same as Coral. Most dwarves can still remember living underwater. The sky sucks. Nature's a bitch. They want back down in a bad way.

Eladrin, Elves, Gnomes: The Sky Dwellers. They all lived on the surface before the Humans and Dwarves came a knocking. Opinion towards their new neighbors is mostly neutral, although there are a few sky dwellers have taken to the spheres cause with a gusto. How they are born is still a mystery to the remnants of the spheres (The Sky Dwellers know, but they aren't telling), although half-elves are starting to give a clue.

Half-Elves/Halflings: When a Daddy Or Mommy Elf loves a Daddy or Mommy Human very very much...Half-Elves spawn. No, really. Spawn. You go to sleep, and bam. There's a Half-Elf. No intercourse required. Half-Elf is the generic title given to any Sky Dweller that is half human. Half-Dwarves are just what you expect. Wing Wang meets Hoo Haa and you've got a half-dwarf. They're sometimes called Halfings, but never to their face.

Tielflings: The who what? Nobody's sure if they exist. Even the Sky Dwellers have no clue who they are. Sightings of them, like the Lock of Russ Sea Serpent, are myths. Probably. Maybe? If they're out there, nobody knows where they are, but sightings of them have become a bit more common as of late....

Golaiths: Like Tielflings. The who? Very recently an advanced scouting company of Dwarves discovered an entire damn nation of these things, though. The word hasn't spread very far yet, although Goliath emmisaries have been making their way through some of the smaller human villages.

Kobolds: Surface and underwater dwellers. The Kobold Society is very tribal and closed, which is why it was such a shock when the Tribal Leader, Huthrank, set down the decree thirty years ago that the Kobolds would welcome the sphere dwellers with open arms. Since then, Kobold society has gone places. They are now the bankers, brokers, movers, and shakers of the human/dwarven upper crust. Unless you're an underwater kobold. Then you're still a monster. A human and dwarf killing monster.

Changlings: People who change skins are a myth. Why, do you believe in that crazy crap? You've seen one? Yeah, and you saw a red human with horns too. Stop drinking. No, really. Stop. Thought of as freaks by practically everyone, if you're a changling, you're certainly not going to go around telling people.

Genasi: As rare as Dragonborn, Genasi are the result of two powerful primal forces meeting in combat. The latest 'batch' of Genasi were created when the spheres were attacked, making almost all Genasi thirty years old. Surprisingly, Genasi don't veer towards one soul over another; all souls can be found in roughly equal numbers. You know. If you could find one.

Kalashtar: Geez. Humans with Horns? People who change skin? And now you're telling me you can read minds? Get out. OUT. Most people claiming to read minds and all that junk are merely insane, but every once in a while someone comes along who has a harder to spot trick. At least, we think it's a trick.

Warforged: Created by Dwarves as inanimate decorations, Moradin breathed life into them to help him stave off the invasion. Most Warforged were either lost or are believed to be fighting in whatever spheres are left. Only a few made it out, and, in recognition of their service, Moradin gave them freedom. Since then, Warforged have been hard at working attempting to find a way to recreate themselves. Considering they're made out of coral and filled to the brim with ashes from underwater volcanoes, that's somewhat hard on the surface. Most people have seen Warforged and hold them in high regard, and many magicians and scientists (or what passes for them) of other races are dedicated to helping cure the 'Warforged Quandry'.

All other races are allowed.

General Civilization

It's bad, folks, but it's on the rise. The Alliance of Spheres has recently been created to help organize the retaking of what few spheres people believe to be somewhat safe. The followers of Vecna, once the great turncoats who helped sabotage the bubbles so turned sea creatures and Underwater Kobolds could sneak in, have been pretty much beaten back. What few strongholds of Vecna are left hold the most powerful items and important relics of the past. Their numbers have yet to be diminished, however, due to the powerful necromancers and their skeletons which sprinkle the secret god's forces.

Most humans and dwarves live in towns created to resemble the cities in the spheres. Human towns have a green glow due to the numerous plants spread about every building to make them look more kelp-y, and the Dwarven stone abodes are colored in all manners of greens, blues, purples, and yellows that are meant to help evoke coral. It's still no substitute for the real thing, however, so most Dwarves are chomping at the bit to find a way to reconnect with the few spheres still thought stable.

Most humans, however, want to be a bit more cautious. They advocate finishing off Vecna, and then worrying about returning to the bubbles. It is these political divisions that helped create the Alliance of Spheres, although the Alliance's military gains have been much more...spectacular than it's political gains. Rumors of infighting and the imminent breakup of the Alliance's political wing are growing stronger by the day.

But SimpsonsParadox, Who's Playing?

Who's playing? WHO'S PLAYING! I'LL TELL YOU WHO'S PLAYING!

adventfalls as Jenn Milsborough, Human Swordmage, a human blessed by the gods. She also has a cat. Backround
interrobang as Elie Darrod, Half Elf Warden, a simple farmgirl who talks to her weapon and if she says "boy howde" even once in the game she is dying a horrible death! Backround
hotran as Lara Deepstrider, Human Warlock, a Warlock who sold her soul to unknown sea creatures for longs walks on the beach, getting caught in the rain, and red coral. Backround on sheet.
Powerpuppies as Heskan, Dragonborn Sorc, an old and ethical Dragonborn who is only one 7 to 3 conversion away from having an awesome url! Backround
Rainfall as Shelakri, Kalashtar Psion, a dreamer from the Dreamlands who came here to make things correct and bribe me lots of money! Backround
Arivia as Mera, Gensai Cleric, born from the sea, studied, and let go. Locater tags optional. Backround

SimpsonsParadox on

• Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So much for the Warforged T_T

So the races in the post are the only ones we can choose?

EDIT: What backgrounds can we take?

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I knew I forgot something. Updating.

You can take any backround you want. If it's out there, run it past me. Ditto with classes and races. No hybrids, though. I only have DDI up to September, so please don't go overboard with the new stuff. I won't ban it, however.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Interested. Will post soon.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm in love. I'll been posting in this one for sure.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Changeling... something...

Lemme think.

Delmain on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boom.

SHIELD, Warforged Paladin of Moradin and devout guardian of dwarfs

Background:
    "Moradin chose me. He chose me to protect the Dwarfs, and to defend the Cities.

I fought my hardest, as did my allies, but it was too little, too late. We were unexperienced in warfare and overwhelmed.

I won't make the same mistakes again. I've been called by Moradin, and I'm volunteering to fight with you. Please put me to good use."

Shield is a humble warforge, unaccustomed to the accolades and honor he's given on the surface world. He hasn't had opportunities to train and fight like he'd hoped for, and is entering the sea a little dusty.

Regardless, he's decided to follow what he believes is Moradin's directives. Inspired or mad, he's a hero, and he's going to do Moradin's will.

His main activity outside of his devotions is a love of history--particularly that related to the spheres. To this end he studies everything he can on the subject, and what he lacks in raw intellect, he makes up for in energy.

Personality:
    Shield lives up to his name. Choosen by Moradin to defend his allies, he views Dwarves in an especially friendly light. His creators, his charges, he feels a deep need to protect & defend them. Shield has discovered an interest in all things living since obtaining his freedom, & eagerly pursues new learning about life & biology.

Mannerisms:
    Shield is acutely uncomfortable by his bulk & sheer stature outside of battles. In battles he takes great pride in his prowess, because he's using it to protect others. He's naturally quite shy, but almost too talkative amongst his friends.

Intro:
    The massive creation of coral and ash walked into the Alliance of Spheres headquarters.

Laying down his weapon, he speaks simply and to the point. "I am here to volunteer my services. Moradin spoke to me, telling me to find you and ask you to put me to use."

streever on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Definitely interested. Will be putting up a Dwarf Artificer later: Her name is Exodus Terra (she was born the day her parents' bubble burst), she just wants to go home, and she hates it when people call her ET.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I shall have more... but for now...

Kurenmar, Wilden Seeker

Appearance:
    Outside his aspects, Kurenmar's skin is a brilliant green and his eyes are a pale brown. Because of his youth, though, when he takes on aspects of nature, his appearance changes radically. His usual choice of the Hunter darkens his skin to a bark-brown, the green receeding to form a bough of camoflauge that blends well with the forests he frequents.

History:
    Kurenmar came into mortal form a little over five years ago. Before that, he was almost exactly the same as the fellows he still deals with every day. For years, Kuren merely wandered. Avoiding everyone but the odd elf and gnome, he spent most of his time alone with only the primal spirits that work alongside him. For some reason that he is still not entirely sure of, he began associating with the nearby town of humans that he had avoided for years. After months of dealing with the humans, he grew to identify with their plight. Being forced out of their home by an external force is something he has intimate knowledge of.

With no real understanding of why he was given a mortal form and forced to wander the planet, Kurenmar is satisfied for the time being helping the humans and dwarves reclaim their home, though he keeps his eyes and ears open for clues about his own purpose.

CB Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Kurenmar, level 1
    Wilden, Seeker
    Build: Vengeful Seeker
    Seeker's Bond: Bloodbond
    Hardy Form: Hardy Form Fortitude

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 15, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 11.

AC: 15 Fort: 13 Reflex: 14 Will: 15
    HP: 27 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Nature +11, Athletics +5, Stealth +10, Perception +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +3, Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +2, Heal +4, History -1, Insight +4, Intimidate, Religion -1, Streetwise, Thievery +3

FEATS
    Level 1: Distant Advantage
    Feat User Choice: Weapon Expertise (Bow)

POWERS
    Seeker at-will 1: Stinging Swarm
    Seeker at-will 1: Elemental Spirits
    Seeker encounter 1: Spider Spirits
    Seeker daily 1: Storm of Spirit Shards

ITEMS
    Longbow, Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Streever, Delmain: Could I have a CB summary? That goes for everyone else, too, and the request for one has been added to the OP.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    [strike]You can grab the actual files from Orokos, SimpsonsParadox. It's on the upper right corner of the character sheet for the link. =)[/strike] Or it was, anyways. =/ Maybe I'm hallucinating.

This is a very interesting campaign setting, I'mma have to think up something to submit.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow, this setting looks awesome! And yes, I'm sitting in class unable to get the "Under the Sea" song out of my head, so thanks for that =P.

A bit busy now (the whole class thing) but I'll post a fuller write-up later on. I'll be submitting a human warlock. She's made a pact with the most ancient of the "giant underwater serpents", trading her true fate for the power to take back her home. Again, more, awesome-r content to follow.

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i'll have it on orokos tonight: but i'm having second thoughts. I might modify it to have a two-handed weapon fighter instead--someone using a great spear focused on moving opponents around.

streever on
  • Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Reesax, the Kobold Aassassin
    Background
    Reesax Wyrmblade has led a rather charmed life so far. He was born into a reputable family that is respected for their prowess in combat. His family is one of the few that has the innate ability to combine shadow magic with a form of martial arts, and the ability to access these talents has caused his family to live comfortable lives. As a child he was one of the most popular kobolds amongst his peers, always impressing them with his ability to step into shadows and appear elsewhere. Those who where jealous of the attention given to him never confronted him due to fear of his rumoured abilities and his families reputation.

When Chief Huthrank begin his dealings with the dwarves and humans, Reesaxs family made sure to take advantage of this new situation and try and profit off of it as much as they could. Usually as hired guards or explorers of regions of unknown allegiance. When word of The The Alliance of Spheres had reached the ears of Chief Huthrank, he had sent a message to Reesaxs great uncle, and head of the Wyrmblade family, to request the families services. Chief Huthrank wanted the Wyrmblades to send a family member to join the Alliance of Spheres as not only a sign of good will to the humans and dwarves, but also as a way of showing the kobolds new allies how useful and beneficial the kobolds are in combat situations.

After much discussion, Reesax was chosen to be this representative, due to the great promise the young kobold showed in his ability to combine shadow magic and martial ability, but also seeing it as an excellent experience for him.
    Personality and Mannerism
    Thanks to his family’s fame and reputation, Reesax is extremely cocky kobold. He will take any opportunity to brag about his past exploits or to one-up another person’s story. In the past when he has had to retreat from a situation because he could not handle it, he never considers what he did as running away. Instead he adamantly believes and will inform others, that what he actually did was a “tactical withdrawal” so that he could finish his task at a more opportune or as he puts it, “more kickass” moment.

Despite how loud and boisterous Reesax is, the small kobold is capable of great silence and focus when he does not want to be seen or heard by his quarry.
    Appearence
    Reesax looks like most kobolds, short and thin of frame. His skin is an olive green, and he wears clothes and armour that have been dyed a dark blue. Those who are familiar with kobolds would eventually notice that Reesax does not slouch forwards in social situations; he actually makes the conscious effort to keep his posture as straight and proper as possible when dealing with anyone.

CB Summary
    Reesax, level 1
    Kobold, Assassin
    Guild Training: Bleak Disciple
    Background: Occupation - Infiltrator (+2 to Stealth)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 13, Con 16, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 13, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 12
    HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Stealth +13, Acrobatics +9, Streetwise +5, Endurance +8, Perception +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History, Insight +1, Intimidate, Nature +1, Religion, Thievery +6, Athletics +1

FEATS
    Level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting
    Feat User Choice: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)

POWERS
    Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
    Assassin at-will 1: Inescapable Blade
    Assassin encounter 1: Gloom Thief
    Assassin daily 1: Terrifying Visage

ITEMS
    Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Short sword (2), Dagger (5), Fine Clothing

lodwilk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    streever wrote: »
    i'll have it on orokos tonight: but i'm having second thoughts. I might modify it to have a two-handed weapon fighter instead--someone using a great spear focused on moving opponents around.

Editing your character up til the deadline is acceptable, even big things like class and race. Just make sure you make an -edit- note stating that you've changed things.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So is this a play by post or a maptools game?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    PBP.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesome, thanks.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok, here she is: Lara Deepstrider, Human Scourge Warlock. I'll likely edit some more before the deadline, as Myth-Weavers was being a bit wonky with numbers, and also because I want to mess with Pact a bit. The basics are there though.

Background
    Lara was born five years to the day before the collapse of the Spheres. The day of the fall is only a dim memory of fire and terror for her, but she did manage to flee the destruction of her home and make it to the shore. Her family was not so lucky; her mother, father, brother and sisters all perished, leaving her an orphan as well as a refugee. Along with many others in the same position, Lara was given over to a hastily organized orphanage run by a priestess of Melora.

Lara never managed to get along with her fellow orphans. She was plagued by horrifying dreams of her last day in the sphere, and visions of the unnatural terrors that destroyed her home. Hyper-vigilant, she jumped at the slightest sound, cried constantly, and would lash out at the others seemingly without provocation. As soon as she turned 16, she left the orphanage and began living in a small hut near the coast, fishing for subsistence. While her solitude gave her respite during the day, at night her dreams continued, and as she slept, the dunes echoed with her terrified screams. She feared this would be her lot in life, until one fateful night...
    Lara awoke, once again in her home village, five years old. However, instead of flames and terrible creatures, there is only the deep, calm blue of the spheretop above, and soft, dry, white sand underfoot. Aside from the conspicuous absence of the other villagers, this is way her village had been before the fall, as she wished she could remember it.

Before she can make a sound or move a step, a deep, resonant voice fills Lara's mind. "What would you give to go back...", it said, the water outside the sphere seeming to vibrate along with the sound, causing its walls to shimmer in time with the words, "...to have the power to un-make your past.?" With this last word, the image of Lara's village shattered, and her dream plunged back into the familiar terror of the attack on her home.

She recoiled, covering her eyes, digging her toes into the sand, and shouting to the voice "Stop! Stop it! Anything, anything you want! Change it back!" she shrieked, tears streaming freely down her face. At her cry, the scene around her froze, and the voice returned.

"We can give you the tools you need to make it so. Think carefully though; the Wheel turns, and if you accept our bargain this round, you will serve us in the next." As the walls of the sphere shook with voice's last words, a shining piece of bright red coral seemed float down from the roof the of sphere, coming to rest at Lara's feet. "Take our token into your hands if you accept."

Lara looked around at the frozen scene of destruction before her: the impossible beasts, the ruined homes, the dying villagers. Her eyes set in a grim stare, she bent and picked up the shining coral. "Now what?"

The walls of the sphere again rumbled as the voice filled her head. "The bargain is sealed," it purred " and our gifts will be yours, when the time comes." A tremendous roar filled the sphere, and Lara cowered, closing her eyes yet again. When she opened them, however, she found herself back in her tiny hut in the dunes.

Lara remembered little of her dream, beyond a dim recollection of feeling the voice resonating throughout her whole body. Thankfully, her dreams ceased, and she was able to go through her life in peace, keeping to herself. However, three nights ago, she awoke to a thundering roar that shook the walls of her hut. In a panic, she rushed outside, and found that sand surrounding her house had been transformed, turned to the same bright, shimmering red coral from her dream.

The time to change her fate had come.

Introduction
    Two Alliance privates trudged slowly across the dunes, their feet slipping as the sand shifted beneath their feet. Though the sun had just barely above the horizon, it was already hot, and their leather armor was stifling. One of them stopped and removed his helmet, mopping his brow with a cloth already slick with sweat.

"Are you sure he meant her? I'll be pissed if you've dragged us all the way out here for no reason."

His companion did not stop walking, or turn to face him as he spoke. "Yes, I'm positive, though what he wants with the little wretch is beyond me." With a grunt, the trailing private replaced his helmet and continued walking.

As the pair crested a dune, they saw a driftwood shack far below them. It looked as if it could fall in on itself at any moment, but a small curl of smoke let the soldiers know that its inhabitant was indeed at home. Surrounding the shack was a ring of fire-coral that steamed and shimmered in the early morning sunlight. The leading private began making his way down the slope, but his companion grabbed his sleeve.

"Do we have to?" he said, his gaze lingering on the ring of coral. "I mean, we could always-"

"Listen, you can do whatever you want, but all I know is this; One: Captain Keloros said we had to bring her back; Two: Captain Keloros is with Special Requisitions; Three: You do not screw with Special Requisitions. Ergo, I'm bringing her back."

With a nod and a gulp, the reluctant private followed the leader, and both made their way toward the little hut, as the fire-red coral crunched beneath their boots...

hotran on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OK, so Dwarf wasn't working for me, so here is Exodus Terra, Human Artificer:
    Exodus Terra, level 1
    Human, Artificer
    Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
    Background: Birth - Omen, Occupation - Artisan, Lost Kin, Society - Poor (+2 to Arcana)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
    HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Thievery +5, Arcana +11, Perception +7, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Endurance +2, Insight +2, Intimidate, Nature +2, Religion +4, Stealth, Streetwise, Athletics

FEATS
    Artificer: Ritual Caster
    Human: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
    Level 1: Arcane Implement Proficiency
    Feat User Choice: Focused Expertise (Bastard sword)

POWERS
    Artificer at-will 1: Thundering Armor
    Artificer at-will 1: Magic Weapon
    Bonus At-Will Power: Aggravating Force
    Artificer encounter 1: Scouring Weapon
    Artificer daily 1: Obedient Servant

ITEMS
    Ritual Book, Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Bastard sword, Alchemical Reagents (Arcana) (25), Candle (10), Flask (empty) (5), Oil (1 pint) (5), Climber's Kit
    RITUALS
    Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, Make Whole

Exodus was born the day her ancestral bubble was breached by the invading sea creatures and has been feeling ever-so-slightly guilty about it ever since she was first told of the circumstances surrounding her birth. Of course the facts (that she was expected, that she was probably born slightly early because of the stress of the attack, and that hers was one of the last bubbles to fall, with everyone being aware of what was likely to happen) have never been taken into that much consideration when she looks at the sea with a sigh. Of course, her parents' choice of names don't help much either.
    Much of Exodus' early life was nomadic, as her parents, now refugees, moved across their strange new home with no defined borders and very little water. This life brought her into (albeit brief) contact with many other cultures until eventually her family founded a new home in a marsh considered unlivable by the other creatures of the land due to its water-logged nature, but which Exodus' parents found to be almost as good as home.
    Eventually, others of the dispossessed arrived and made contact until, only fifteen years after the fall, a new township emerged, with some of the same magic that used to hold the sea back now holding back the marsh floods.
    Always an inquisitive child, Exodus showed a distinct interest in the magical defences of the town and shortly began to pick up some minor magecraft, whereupon one of the Dwarfs in town took her on as an apprentice artificer.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm reminded a lot of Chelestra from Death Gate Cycle

Admit it DM, you're a Weiss and Hickman fanboy! ;-)

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I have no clue who they are, but a link would be greatly appreciated.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If I don't get into the other game, I'm going to definitely write something awesome up for this one.

Hell, I might do it anyways, because this setting seems pretty great.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Baern Staghorn, Dwarf Fighter

CB Stuff:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
    Baern Staghorn, level 1
    Dwarf, Fighter
    Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
    Primary background: Warsmith (make weapons and armor, cast Creation rituals), secondary background: Dwarf - Ancestral Home Lost

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 10.

AC: 19 Fort: 16 Reflex: 12 Will: 11
    HP: 31 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Heal +6, Athletics +7, Endurance +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -2, Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +3, History -1, Insight +1, Intimidate, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion -1, Stealth -2, Streetwise, Thievery -2

FEATS
    Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
    Bonus: Weapon Expertise (Hammers)

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Tide of Iron
    Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
    Fighter encounter 1: Shield Bash
    Fighter daily 1: Lasting Threat

ITEMS
    Scale Armor, Heavy Shield, Craghammer, Throwing hammer (5)
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
    Appearance:
    (A note on the name: Staghorn coral is a type of stone coral which essentially forms horns and spikes and is dangerous to divers while being pretty durable)
    Like the coral his family is named after, Baern is a grey/green color, his skin the texture of rough stone; his eyes are sea-blue, and his long hair and shaggy beard are seafoam green.

His armor is a deep blue, made from the scales of large sea creature. He wears a grey sharkskin cloak with a large hood, and a necklace of shark teeth; he tells you he killed this shark himself. The brooch holding the cloak on is a large piece of Staghorn coral, a family heirloom. The only metal he possesses are his shield and his hammers, a massive one-hander whose head terminates in a spike, and some smaller throwing hammers hanging from his hip, although even these metal items have bits of coral and algae on them, as if they have spent a considerable amount of time underwater.
    Personality:
    Like almost all dwarves, Baern hates living on the surface and wishes to return to the sea-bed. He tends to be somewhat irritable when not near the ocean, and spends most of this leisure time diving, fishing, or staring out at the sea when not smithing or practicing fighting with hammer and shield.

He is loyal and steadfast, and unswerving in his principles. While normally calm, the sight or mention of anything related to Vecna or the cultists of Vecna causes him to fly into a rage from which it can take quite awhile to calm down.
    Background:
    Baern was born in one of the spheres, and grew up in it, and as such has a very close connection to the spheres and the corals from which the dwarves come. Forced to the surface with the others when he was a young adult, he was forced to adapt to a world he did not know, understand, or want any part of.

During the destruction of the spheres, his clan's coral group-manor was attacked by Vecna cultists. Though none of them were trained soldiers, they were all smiths (the pride of their clan being their proficiency with metal and coral-working, particularly Staghorn coral); strong and fit, and with a ready supply of large hammers and tools nearby, they were able to fight back the cultists and defend their ancestral home. However, the sphere flooded, making their valiant stand in vain. They fled to the surface and settled among the other survivors, their ancestral home (and many of their most precious artifacts and heirlooms) lost to the deep.

They have attempted diving to their home, in small groups, but every time have encountered massive, twisted sea-beasts and have been forced to retreat, much to their dismay. It is the dream of all of the Staghorns to someday return to their clanhome.

Knowing that they will be unable to return until society as a whole makes a pronounced effort to return to the ocean, Baern has spent the 30 years since the Flooding working as a smith and dreaming of the day he can return to the spheres, as well as return to his clanhome, if only to save the precious artifacts lost inside it. Recently he has learned of the special requisitions' brigade, and of the Alliance's goals to return to the spheres, and soon.

Offering himself both as an accomplished smith and as somewhat of a warrior (insofar as he knows which end of a hammer to hit someone with and has been handling them for his entire life), he joined with the special requisitions brigade. He hopes desperately to be among the first wave returning to the sea-floor to reclaim the spheres and his family's home, and will fight until his last breath is spent to see this through to the end.
    Man I haven't been this excited to (potentially) play a setting for awhile. This is freaking awesome.

Edit'd some background stuff.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Quirti, Shadar-kai Avenger of the Raven Queen

Backstory
    Quirti's parents were once human, but after they made a deal with Venca, they gained power from the shadows, thus becoming one of the first Shadar-kai. Quirti's parents lead the charge to destroy the spheres, and afterwords, became powerful members of Venca's forces. Quirti grow-up underwater, but how they gain their homes was no secrete to the young children. Quirti and the other Shadar-kai where trained on fighting so that they could serve in Venca's forces and attack the top side. Quirti studied hard and excelled in his classes. When he was 18, Quirti was given his first real test. A small group of humans and dwarfs were seen traveling towards an abandon sphere. Quirti's mission was to spy on the group. When he found them, he saw his sister and a few other Shadar-kai were among this group. Before he could report back, his sister found him. She told of how the group had been coming to the spheres to try and save some of those who were trapped in the destroyed spheres, and the Venca's plan to use the dead to create an army to destroy everything in the world so he could overpower the Raven Queen. The Shadar-kai were going to be puppets that he would soon destroy for more "controllable" minions. Quirti at first didn't believe her. But he promise to not tell about the group or her involvement with them. When he returned home, he said that he lost the group but they seem to have been nomads and where gone. Quirti's father told Quirti that he knew that he was lying as he had been spying on him and his sister the whole time. Then his father tried to kill Quirti and his sister. Quirti was able to get away but his sister was caught. Quirti traveled to the surface. He found a place to rest with followers of the Raven Queen, who planed on joining with the Alliance of Spheres and help with the fight. Determine to save his sister, Quirti join the followers and became an Avenger of the Raven Queen.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I have no clue who they are, but a link would be greatly appreciated.

The Death Gate Cycle is a fantasy series/setting with four elementally aspected, seperate worlds. It did some pretty clever stuff with them really. Chelestra was the water themed one.

Chelestra was a world of water encased at the edges in ice, and people lived within great living coral islands/creatures with their own little atmospheres called Durnai that floated along in the endless sea.

It's an awesome book series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_Gate_Cycle

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't have a background yet, but for various laptoppy reasons here is Mera the genasi cleric's sheet.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm still working on a background and stuff but here's the sheet.
    Dydro'Mox, level 1
    Genasi, Swordmage
    Build: Shielding Swordmage
    Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Shielding
    Elemental Manifestation: Watersoul

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 15, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 13, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 19 Fort: 12 Reflex: 14 Will: 12
    HP: 29 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +9, Insight +5, Athletics +7, Endurance +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, Heal, History +4, Intimidate, Nature +2, Perception, Religion +4, Stealth +3, Streetwise, Thievery +1

FEATS
    Level 1: Arcane Familiar

POWERS
    Swordmage at-will 1: Frigid Blade
    Swordmage at-will 1: Frostwind Blade
    Swordmage encounter 1: Chilling Blow
    Swordmage daily 1: Frost Backlash

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Khopesh

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    CB Summary edited in.

Delmain on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Isaac sen Isaacsen Meloranzu - Human Wrath Invoker of Kord

BACKGROUND
    Isaac is the young heir to the House of Isaac, a House with significant political pull. The House is currently headed by Isaac’s father, Progenitor sen Isaacsen Melorazu, and currently has two agendas. The first is to promote the health and prosperity of the former residents of Melorazu, the Sphere which House of Isaac was previously de facto rulers of. The second, is to promote arcane and scientific methods of emulating undersea life on the surface.

Isaac was born 12 years after Melorazu fell. The latest in a gifted lineage of Invokers, he was raised to worship Melora as well as promote the interests of House of Isaac. What time was not spent studying religion and history was spent acting as an emissary for the House to mages, politicians, generals and scientists. He would also spend a lot of time aiding in the projects of these people or implementing devices crafted by the House, growing accustomed to long hours of outside labor as well as a detailed knowledge of arcane mechanics.

In his free time, or whenever he was leaving a new settlement behind him, he would make a stop at the rougher parts of town and engage in conversation with old-timers about life underwater. Isaac was born after the attacks, and even after the worst of the aftermath of resettling and burned for knowledge of the life he was beginning to feel he was denied. While a source of great stories and inspiration for Isaac, these characters also fed him doubts about enjoyable surface life or the intelligence of worshipping a sea goddess who let their civilization crumble. He came to greatly respect the dwarves in particular for their almost universal resolve to retake what was lost.

As Isaac went thru his teenage years, he saw more and more that the military organizations in the Alliance of Spheres were picking up more support and victories than any else and began despising his father’s peaceful efforts, who only joined his forces with the greater military when it would benefit the House’s goals. He didn’t care if his father worked with the dwarves to retake Spheres or if they worked with the rest of the human organizations to destroy the followers of Vecna, so long as they acted. Maybe it was to spite his father for abandoning their homeland or perhaps the characters he had long shared his experiences with, but Isaac stopped worshipping Melora and began worshipping Kord, god of war and thunder.

Tensions with his father increased, leading to Isaac taking full time residence nearer the military leaders and lending them his expertise, knowledge and clout whenever possible. It wasn’t until Isaac’s 18th birthday that his father would learn about his religious conversion. On their 18th birthday, the heir to the House of Isaac must undergo a ceremony that completes their bond with their god as an Invoker. Since the founding of the House, they have always followed Melora, and this was not to be any different. However, when the moment came where Isaac was to say the final prayer he would ever need to, he prayed to Kord and the bond was made. His father was more upset than angry and asked Isaac what his intentions were? Isaac informed him that he was joining the military.

STATS
    Isaac sen Isaacsen Meloranzu, level 1
    Human, Invoker
    Build: Wrathful Invoker
    Divine Covenant: Covenant of Wrath
    Background: Convert (+2 to Religion)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 16
    HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Diplomacy +5, Religion +10, Endurance +6, Arcana +8, History +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Bluff, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, Insight +4, Intimidate, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth -1, Streetwise, Thievery -1, Athletics -2

FEATS
    Invoker: Ritual Caster
    Human: Oncoming Storm
    Level 1: Storm Sacrifice
    Feat User Choice: Implement Expertise (rod)

POWERS
    Bonus At-Will Power: Visions of Blood
    Invoker at-will 1: Vanguard's Lightning
    Invoker at-will 1: Divine Bolts
    Invoker encounter 1: Thunder of Judgment
    Invoker daily 1: Storm Call

ITEMS
    Ritual Book, Implement, Rod, Chainmail, Adventurer's Kit
    RITUALS
    Hand of Fate, Tenser's Floating Disk

--EDIT-- Fleshed out the background.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey, this sounds like a cool setting here is my character and idea.

Calen Whist, Half-elf Cleric of Erathis (Bard Multi-class)

Background
    Calen was born a few years after his mother was forced to flee from her sphere. She was seduced by an eladrin minstrel known only to locals as 'The Wanderer' and woke up in the morning with a half-elven child and the father nowhere in sight. Forced to raise the child alone, Calen's mother was resentful and distant.

Calen was not exceptionally bright or strong, but developed some of his father's cavalier charm and picked up the flute. He led a lazy life of leisure and near poverty, living off of his meager musical abilities until he heard his true calling. In a series of recurring dreams, a man in fine robes would approach him and show him a compass and a map. When the dreams didn't end, he sought the counsel of a priest of Moradin who told him that these were traditional symbols of Erathis. Calen took this as a sign and spent months seeking out clerics of the unpopular god. After a brief period of training, Calen quickly realized that this was the life he had always sought. He reasoned that his dreams were a call to seek information about the destruction of the spheres, and he has dedicated his life to this pursuit.

Personality
    Calen is exceptionally out-going and personable. Many are surprised to learn that he is a priest until he produces his holy symbol and his scriptures. Calen prefers to be in highly populous areas and in the center of the party. Calen doesn't drink, but he is hardly a saint. He is a gambler and womanizer. Calen is exceptionally driven and single-minded when he needs to be.

Still don't know how to add extra feats, so assume he has focus expertise as well.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Still don't know how to add extra feats, so assume he has focus expertise as well.
    If you are using the Character Builder, go to your Feats selection under Build and then look at Feat Choice Checklist at the bottom. There's a little house-shaped icon in the upper right corner. Click that and it will give you a User Choice on the checklist.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cool, got it, thanks.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    smeej wrote: »
    About the stats, does Implement Expertise count for the +attack user choice feat?

Yes

Also, I've never done this on a message board before.

We hope you have a good time/give you experiences only therapy can erase.
    And finally, I like this setting so I might make a couple other roles and submit them because I've got a couple different ideas anyway.

Go right ahead, multiple submissions are very welcome.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Holy sh*t, count me in. I've been wanting to play again. I played twice about 7yrs ago. Good times.

...or maybe not. This is definitely over my head.

Slider on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Marelvias
    thegamblerbytobiaslockh.jpg
    For a taste of your whiskey, I'll give you some advice...

Much more fond of asking questions than answering them, Marelvias has embraced the cause of the ocean dwellers for reasons of his own. Depending on when you ask him, he might be tagging along to punish the dastardly deeds of the foul followers of vicious Vecna, or because it passes the time until something more interesting comes along, or because he really, really, likes you, and he wants to protect you *tousles hair*. He's a mystic, he's a gambler, he's a miiiiidnight rambler:whistle:, and he's here to fill all your healing and religion needs.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've already submitted a Striker, so how about a Leader?

Barden Bluehome, Dwarf Shaman

The cool background will have to wait until tomorrow.

hotran on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright, I've never played D&D, let alone PbP. But I'm ready and excited.

I've got this one ready, I'll have a Warforged Barbarian up tomorrow.

Jenn Milsborough, Human Swordmage

Today marks a new day for us, a - Tella, get out of my shirt! It tickles!

Appearance:
    With the shiny bastard sword in her right hand, one could be forgiven for not immediately looking at her face. Her black hair goes to her shoulders in a pony tail. Her face is not stunning, but enough to get people to notice her.

Her clothes are in tatters due to the fact that she has been running short on cash for quite sometime. Her leather armor is functional, but not aesthetically pleasing. The cloak she wears would best be described as a shredded piece of cloth fastened by a special kobold fastener (quite good quality at that, a reward for protecting a convoy).

She has a cat familiar, Tella. Tella is a grey cat with black stripes on her back. Her rear legs are white with grey and black spots on them.

Background:
    The day of Jenn Milsborough's birth would have been an ordinary one if not for the fact that the sky was dark and the moon glowed, bathing the countryside in an eerie silver. Two priests stumbled into the room minutes after she was born. The priests asked for water, and Jenn's father gave the priests what they asked. The priests thanked him and told him that his daughter and others would be watched over by those that worshiped Bahamut and Avandra. As he left, the father was left wondering what on earth the priest meant, especially since the Platinum Dragon was largely indifferent to human affairs.

As Jenn grew up, she became remarkably gifted in the way of the sword and of magic. She also became learned in history, and discovered that the priest on the day of her birth had been talking about a prophecy. An old tale, from long before the spheres were abandoned, fortold of someone being born under a silver moon. That person would helped by Avandra and the followers of Bahamut to become the instrument that would raise Bahamut from his apathy and make him interested in the affairs of his people, a partner to help their worshipers.

Jenn doesn't put much faith into the prophecy, though she tends to receive help at the oddest of times from the Dragon's worshippers and Avandra's. She has an on/off worship relation with the two deities.

Personality:
    Jenn is a relatively calm and intelligent person, one who doesn't tend to worry. She has a good sense of humor about most things. She tries to live her life and help out where she can, though she hasn't had much luck acquiring money for financial security. Jenn tries not to take advantage of people's hospitality because of this, fearful she expend her host's goodwill. When asked about the prophecy, Jenn becomes bitter and tries to defend herself by claiming she had no control over what color the moon was.

Her cat familiar, Tella, is very playful. She likes to try and draw Jenn's attention for the hell of it, and likes to think of herself as Jenn's master instead of the other way around. However, when the chips are down Tella will do whatever it takes to protect her 'servant'.

EDIT: Edited to make it blend in more with OP Diety info.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Galewin Airstrum Genasi (Windsoul) Barbarian

Brief Bio: At a young age Galewin’s life was set a new path the day Douven Staul came to his sphere. Douven was looking for a new student to train and began testing the young men of the town at the sword, bow, spear, and arcane arts. Galewin had never practiced much with any save the quarter staff. Douven handed Galewin a spear with a look that said he expected little.

The sparring started and Galewin won his first match by speed alone. The next he thought perhaps he just got lucky, no one was dumb enough to try the same attack three times in a row he thought. One after another he bested the other boys in his village and each time Douven’s gaze become more intense. Though Galewin hardly noticed though because with each match he lost himself more and more in the battle dance. The last match had him facing three other boys and Douven himself. The three went down quick enough, but Douven seemed to always be a step ahead. A growing frustration in Galewin peaked and in a moment of pure rage Galewin vaulted using his spear over one of the fallen boys and seemed to fly through the air and as he passed over Douven’s head the butt of the spear found the back of the would be teacher’s head sending him the ground.

Douven took Galewin under his wing teaching him the arts of an adventurer. Several months ago Galewin parted ways with his mentor after Douven told him it was time to go forth and make a name for himself on his own if he wanted to become a true adventurer.

Brief Personality: Galewin is easy going and quick with a quip. He even treats battle as a game more often than not, but on the rare occasions where his skills are pushed too far he can snap unleashing a brutal display of carnage.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Warforged Barbarian GO!

Smash, Warforged Barbarian

Attention meatbags! You are about to be smashinated into meat sauce. Questions?

Appearance:
    Made of various bits of gray and brown coral. Think of a regular Warforged, only with coral and whathaveyou instead of metal.

Background:
    Like all Warforged, Smash became sentient through Moradin's blessings to fight off the invaders. He watched as the humans and dwarves often fled the field of battle, leaving him and his construct peers to fight off the monsters. He fought his damnedest, but ultimately failed as everyone was expelled to the 'sky'.

Smash became extremely bitter at the cowardly 'meatbags' and went into solitude in the mountains and the forests and the hills. In the past year or so, he finally returned to civilization, and found that he and his surviving brethren were practically heroes. It was then he realized those that he saw fleeing the spheres were not fighters at all, but innocent civilians.

He is determined to return to the spheres to make peace with his lost companions and to perhaps find a way to ensure the continuation of his kind.

Personality:
    Despite recent revelations, Smash still has some disdain for 'meatbags', refusing to speak to them unless spoken to. Despite this, he does like and respect those that take up arms against their foes. His decades-long isolation has left him a tad unhinged and often makes up words and elaborate metaphors to get his point across, like 'smashinated' and serving his enemies as 'meat sauce for the poor'.

EDIT: Feats fix'd. Picked the wrong Focus feat.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright, finally came up with the background for Barden Bluehome, the shaman I submitted earlier. I ran with the setting and the "Custom Companions" bit from PHB2, so the Protector spirit is a Crocodile. 'tis indeed better down where its wetter, no?

P.S.: I totally blame you, DM, and your awesome setting for these holy-*&%$-that's-too-long backgrounds, but hopefully they'll be enjoyable.

Background
    While most humans and dwarves of the Spheres gave their devotion to one of the Pantheons, some paid homage to the primal spirits of the sea. With their world bound on all sides by the waters, the forces of the waves and currents, and the ancient denizens of the deep were forces to be reckoned with for the sea dwellers. In order to ensure that these powers would be on their side, many of the larger communities counted a shaman among their number.

Barden's home sphere was one such place. It rested near the continental shelf, in the hollow of a massive coral reef. While his fellow dwarves worked the coral, Barden grew to manhood with the knowledge that one day, he would follow in the footsteps of his father, the Sphere's spirit-speaker. He brought Barden along as he traveled along the reef, diving from the shallows to collect rare plants and sea creatures that he used in his rituals. When the old dwarf finally succumbed to the rigors of age and joined his ancestors, Barden knew the time for his quest had come. The Sphere could not be left without a guardian, and he had been groomed for this duty from his first breath. Taking the supplies he had gathered on his last journey with his father, Barden made his way to a secluded cave near the edge of the Sphere, ready to become the new Spirit-Speaker of Bluehome...
    His preparations complete, Barden lit the seven fires that surrounded the small cave. Each was made from a rare kelp gathered from the boundaries of the reef, and they began to fill the tiny space with colored, sweet-smelling smoke. Barden knelt in the center of the cave, watching the small hot spring in front of him bubble and steam. Fed from hot vents deep below the Sphere, the spring gave off an acrid, mineral tang that he inhaled deeply. He reached into his pack, clutching the last anemone his father had plucked from the reef. Barden placed the dried anemone into the prepared nautilus shell, crushing it into a powder. As he closed his eyes and deeply exhaled, he plunged the shell into the spring. The boiling water scalded his hands, and as soon as it was filled he brought the shell back out. The crushed anemone had turned the bubbling spring water a deep purple, and gave the acidic fumes escaping the shell bright floral notes.

Barden quickly drank down the still-steaming concoction. He closed his eyes, and began speaking all the spirit names his father had taught him. As he chanted, flashes of color danced behind his eyelids. The compounds in smoke and the anemone tea had done their job, and he found himself floating just above the reef floor, with the walls of his Sphere far in the distance. As he came to rest on the white sand, Barden heard a deep growl behind him. He turned quickly to look upon the spirit he knew would be his companion until he joined his ancestors for good, and despite all his father's preparations, Barden was surprised.

Standing before him was giant crocodile. Its dark green scales were each the size of Barden's clenched fist, and its eyes glowed with same purple color of the anemone tea. As it beheld him, his the beast showed its bright-white, dagger-sharp teeth. His voiced filled Barden's mind, and he shuddered with a combination of surprise and, yes, a little bit of fear.

"Welcome, Spirit-Speaker" the beast rumbled "and be at peace. I have beheld your devotion over these many tides, and it pleases me. I will swim with you, until you join the ancestors."

Barden remembered himself, and made a sign of respect, touching his fist to his rapidly-beating heart. "I am honored. But...a Landwalker? My home is the reef, and we have only seen your kind there rarely."

Another rumble, higher than the first, echoed from the crocodile, and Barden got the distinct impression that the beast was chuckling. "Landwalker? You forget, new Speaker, that I am a creature of two worlds. Much like you are destined to be, and much sooner than you think..."

As the beast spoke these last words, Barden regained his senses in the cave. Instead of the calm he remembered, the sounds of battle echoed throughout the Sphere. Barden rushed to the mouth of the cave, and saw strange beasts and cackling humans covered in battle-paint ravaging his home. The Crocodile shimmered into reality to his right. "This fight is already lost.", the beast said. "Come with me, and cover the retreat to the surface."

Barden didn't have time to appreciate the scale of the disaster that befell the Spheres that day for some time. The battle was hard-fought, and though he and his companion were able to aid many dwarves in their flight to the shore, many more fell before the followers of Vecna and their abominations.

He has spent the past thirty years tending to the refugees, human, dwarf and spirit, and learning about the new world they've been forced to call home. Crocodile's knowledge of the shore proved invaluable in Barden's efforts, and any apprehension he felt about his "landwalker" companion disappeared long ago. While his time on the surface has taught him much, Barden, like most dwarves, is itching to begin the fight to reclaim the Spheres. Meditating near a tide-pool two days ago, he felt the approach of two Alliance soldiers coming up the path behind him. His companion, flicking its tail in the sunlight, said "Apparently they are serving a group called Special Requisitions."

Barden cracked his knuckles as he stood up. "It is finally time then?", he said? "Time indeed" rumbled the Crocodile.

hotran on