As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forza Motorsport 3 [Game On]

• Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    First car painted.

2008 24hr LeMans Larbre Compeition Saleen S7-R

S7-12.jpg

S7_5.jpg

S7_14.jpg

S7_9.jpg

Too bad it ended up like this in the race...
    larbre-saleen-destroyed.jpg

If anyone's interested, it'll be in my Storefront to buy tomorrow night. Keyword- Jamesways

Many more LMS, WTCC, ALMS paints to come.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    is there any reason why there's no drivetrain swap for the dodge ram? I thought the whole idea of having trucks is for their 4 wheel drive and/or hauling/towing jobs?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jamesways wrote: »
    *snip*

If anyone's interested, it'll be in my Storefront to buy tomorrow night. Keyword- Jamesways

Heresy. Any and all designs done by PA forum-dwellers should be tagged with the keyword "penarc". Anything different is for failures.
    because seriously the fact that you're on PA is way more impressive than the fact that your name is Jamesways ;-)

That said, excellent work on that livery. A well-done racing livery is just as impressive--if not moreso--as an accurate sports logo, or superhero car, etc.

EDIT: my next question is this: it looks like you've put vinyls on the windshield. How do you do that?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    PilgrimPilgrim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy mother of god, I would kill to be able to make something like that.

Pilgrim on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Just finished a '69 Camaro livery I've wanted to do for a while now.

yenko1.jpg

yenko2.jpg

And for comparison:

1969yc.jpg

If you're unfamiliar with the history of this car, it's one of the rarest, most desirable muscle cars ever built.

Triple B on
  • Options
    peilpeil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That is a very nicely done replica.

Edit: Jamesways and Triple B, I hasten to add :lol:

peil on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, I would have paid $70 just for photomode in Suzuka. It's so gorgeous.

spoilered for bigness
    forzau.jpg
    forzasss.jpg

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

*snip*

Man, have you been on Rally di Positano yet? You want to talk about some gorgeous scenery...

Triple B on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    is there any reason why there's no drivetrain swap for the dodge ram? I thought the whole idea of having trucks is for their 4 wheel drive and/or hauling/towing jobs?

never mind, I did some research and found that the ram SRT10 was only offered with an FR layout.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Triple B wrote: »

*snip*

Man, have you been on Rally di Positano yet? You want to talk about some gorgeous scenery...

What I've noticed is that some tracks (Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca, Sebring) appear to be largely uncharged from FM2, graphically. Sebring now has more authentic bumpiness added on the final couple of corners, and it's easier to get air going under the bridge at Road Atlanta. But they look about the same as last time around. Maple Valley looks -exactly- the same as FM2 to my eyes. On the other hand Suzuka looks massively improved, much higher quality. And so do the new tracks. So I guess they picked a couple of old tracks to re-model entirely, but focused most of their efforts on the new material.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    well i tagged all my designs with "penarc" so they should show up now

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So I was talking earlier about posting some shots of my C6 GrandSport replica. It's been known for a while now that Chevy plans to bring back the GrandSport in 2010, so in anticipation of this heralded event, I have made my own. (sorry, I have a thing for the GS)

c6%20gs.jpg

c6%20gs%202.jpg

Note the little "GrandSport" badge under the Z06 logo. :D

Triple B on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    can you import designs from Forza 2 into 3 by chance?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wishful thinking, I fear.

Triple B on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am really fighting the urge to go get this before work today.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Mugello was nasty pop in of detail.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Why can't I buy the Corvette ZR1? I thought they'd done away with having to unlock cars in this installment.

Pilgrim on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    gotta be a "VIP"

as in, you had to buy the LCE

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    gotta be a "VIP"

Man, fuck that.

Is there no other way to get these "VIP" cars?

Pilgrim on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I am curious about that too, because I wasn't going to buy the LCE.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I understand your plight dudes, but to be 100% honest about it, I'll be pretty pissed off if they *do* make VIP cars available to everyone. Otherwise, why did I pay the extra 20 bucks? That said, I'm not sure whether or not they plan on coming up with another way to become a "VIP".

Triple B on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    peil wrote: »
    Just wondering what I should be looking at when I move up to R3. I don't want anything too 'cheap' but I do prefer something that corners properly rather than a straight line rocket - hence why I avoid the Corvettes like the plague.
    I understand why that in the US a car like that would be excellent, but I learned to drive, and still do spend a lot of my time, driving on twisty roads that want to put you into a field at a moments notice, and can't get my head around trying to race one.
    I don't want to get up in arms about this statement so I just want to know, have you driven one of the Z06s yet? Because if you haven't I think you'll be really surprised at what it can do around a twisty track. It's only something like 60k so anybody should be able to afford it. Hell I gift you one if you don't want to buy it.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    grrrr

i want that testarossa so bad!... but its 150,000,000 credits!!! D:D:

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I understand your plight dudes, but to be 100% honest about it, I'll be pretty pissed off if they *do* make VIP cars available to everyone. Otherwise, why did I pay the extra 20 bucks? That said, I'm not sure whether or not they plan on coming up with another way to become a "VIP".

I just meant they should sell the cars or the VIP membership separately without having to make me shop at a certain place.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So guys how awesome is the Ford RS200? If you can drive that thing and not fall in love with it you're a monster.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

I just meant they should sell the cars or the VIP membership separately without having to make me shop at a certain place.

Yeah I really did not want to buy the game at gamestop, but I also really wanted the ZR1. In the complaint threads on the official forum it gets regularly pointed out that a Z06 with the ZR1 engine is almost the same thing.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, I just saw an AI controlled R8 completely fail the first turn on Catalunya and slam straight into the wall and take an '03 Viper with him, leaving me with no competition for the rest of the race.

It's sort of nice to see the AI fuck up.

Pilgrim on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    AI crashes happen rarely enough in my experience that it's a pleasant surprise when it happens, and just feels right. Even pro drivers slam into the wall now and then.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Anyone here tried the 370Z? I'm thinking about buying one and getting an R34 engine swap and AWD drivetrain, just to fuck around with.

Pilgrim on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pilgrim wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    gotta be a "VIP"

Man, fuck that.

Is there no other way to get these "VIP" cars?

I bet they'll put up an unlock via the marketplace in a couple moths.. for the cool price of 400 funbux.

xzzy on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Early on in my season, I saw (and maybe caused) a few cars go straight off the track around a tight turn. I definitely blocked one on the inside, so instead of hitting me he kept going. I thought it was pretty awesome - and it distracted me cause I wasn't used to seeing the AI do non-perfect stuff.

I painted up a GTI Cup Car livery. I don't really like the later models of VWs, but I liked the design (its for a MkV golf). It's tagged w/ penarc so visit my shop and pick it up if you like.

cup6.jpg
    cup5.jpg

krylon666 on
  • Options
    peilpeil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Precursor wrote: »
    peil wrote: »
    J I don't want anything too 'cheap' but I do prefer something that corners properly rather than a straight line rocket - hence why I avoid the Corvettes like the plague.
    I don't want to get up in arms about this statement so I just want to know, have you driven one of the Z06s yet? Because if you haven't I think you'll be really surprised at what it can do around a twisty track. It's only something like 60k so anybody should be able to afford it. Hell I gift you one if you don't want to buy it.

I'll give it a try, let's be honest it wouldn't be the first car I've planted in the barrier:lol:

And apologies for offending any Corvette fans, I was reading the the Performance Car of the Year piece in Car magazine PCotY 2009 and they weren't too keen on the ZR1 - then again it's easier for us to tune the suspension.

Just did the class D Nurburgring stages, the Scirroco with an AWD conversion is surprisingly nimble.

peil on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    AI crashes happen rarely enough in my experience that it's a pleasant surprise when it happens, and just feels right. Even pro drivers slam into the wall now and then.

I'm kinda curious (and worried?) about how it's implemented. I mean, this is one of those questions that nobody here can likely ever know the answer to, and I don't think the developers will ever answer it, but . . .

Does the AI appear to screw up because they are doing something that should have worked, just barely, but the physics simulation is not consistent and the AI put themselves into an unrecoverable postion?

Or does the AI appear to screw up because they're simulating the learning and experimentation and feedback-from-failure that human drivers experience?

Either way I think it looks the same to us. It might not really matter -- but I'd like to know. I'd be fascinated to learn what their approach and methods were if they are doing the latter.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I know in pre-release interviews there were quite a few mentions of an AI pressure system that would cause them to make mistakes when under pressure.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, just as long as they didn't get too much of their designed metagame stuff in my fancy simulation. (See also: you got your chocolate in my peanut butter!) :-P

(Actually I like good game design -- don't take me too seriously here. It's already clear that they didn't get in the way of the simulation too much. Turn 10 is good people.)

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah I've noticed I can eventualy force a slower AI to make a mistake if I ride its ass for a few turns. pretty handy on hard to pass tracks. Though I have to keep myself from following them into the grass sometimes. It also seems like the AI doesn't get too aggressive unless you start it.

Stregone on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Which I always do because the medium AI brakes so much more than they need to most of the time. There really needs to be a difficulty between the medium and the hard. I can beat hard, but only with a lot of stress...which I don't want. But the medium creates stress through being crappy.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's a shame that you get so much less money from not finishing first, and only a small bump if you go from medium to hard. I think any difficulty where you can place 3rd or 4th reliably but it's very difficult to get 1st is a difficulty that can teach you the most.

I'm guilty of ignoring that fact too though. I'd rather level up and see more content. So I end up on medium, passing the two guys that start ahead of me rather quickly and staying in the lead for the entire race, such that by lap 2 the car behind me never gets close enough to draft me and invalidate my lap. I really should be racing on hard and losing and learning from my losses.

mspencer on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I've certainly had a few 3rd or 4th finishes on medium, but I have won a majority of the races. I was going to ask what you guys are playing at.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stregone wrote: »
    Yeah I've noticed I can eventually force a slower AI to make a mistake if I ride its ass for a few turns. pretty handy on hard to pass tracks. Though I have to keep myself from following them into the grass sometimes. It also seems like the AI doesn't get too aggressive unless you start it.

I wish I would have saved the video of an Audi R8 going psycho on me at the start of the race. After the first forty or so feet off the start line, he rams into my right side and pushes me of the track, him coming with me. He stayed pressed into me until I came to a stop then drove off. :P

That's not normal behavior though, so something must have gone wrong. The IA is usually pretty good. Especially at taking advantage of my mistakes and finding a way to pass.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg