As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh Cloud, you're such a pedophile.

core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
So I finally got the Sequence in FF7 where you go on a "date" with Barret. They get into the ride thingy, and their conversation goes something along these lines: "Barret: You know Cloud, people are going to think this is a date or something"
"Cloud: I'm not interested in you."
"Barret: Then who?"
"Cloud: Someone you know"
"Barret: ... MARLENE?!"
"Cloud:..."
"Barret: *General cursing*"

So, let's talk about funny secrets/easter eggs we've found in games.

Also, I was once fighting Prince Of Persia: Two Thrones and I apparently imputted this cheat code and the sound team credits began playing out loud. It just struck me as really funny for some reason.

6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
core tactic on

• Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I finally got the Sequence in FF7 where you go on a "date" with Barret. They get into the ride thingy, and their conversation goes something along these lines: "Barret: You know Cloud, people are going to think this is a date or something"
    "Cloud: I'm not interested in you."
    "Barret: Then who?"
    "Cloud: Someone you know"
    "Barret: ... MARLENE?!"
    "Cloud:..."
    "Barret: *General cursing*"

I don't know why but for some reason I feel that they were leaning more towards that just being a "what the fuck are you talking about barret" moment rather than a pedophilia joke

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well 7 had tons of sexual jokes.

Like when you pass out in the Whorehouse and you wake up with a big fat man jumping on your back.

core tactic on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Anyone remember becoming Francis' gimp in Fallout 2?

If you go that route, then for the rest of the game (even towards the very end) whenever you enter an area there's a small chance that none of the characters will be able to interact with you, they just walk around saying "You and Francis, huh" and other mocking comments. It's awesome.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Anyone remember becoming Clarence's gimp in Fallout 2?

If you go that route, then for the rest of the game (even towards the very end) whenever you enter an area there's a small chance that none of the characters will be able to interact with you, they just walk around saying "You and Clarence, huh" and other mocking comments. It's awesome.

Francis?

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ginsane wrote:
    Francis?

You're right, what the fuck was I thinking?

Fallout 2 doesn't even have a "Clarence."

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    The best part of Fallout games is still letting young kids pickpocket armed explosives from you.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I always liked the guy in the back of one of the diners in fallout 2 that will ask you for $1000 when you talk to him, then if you pay him and talk to him again, he will ask you if you are willing to have sex with him for $1000... so you can get hot gay sex for free... yeah...

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doesn't the date change based on the way you respond to people? I think my date was Aerith.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Doesn't the date change based on the way you respond to people? I think my date was Aerith.
    I went with Tifa.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:
    The best part of Fallout games is still letting young kids pickpocket armed explosives from you.

:^:

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    JamesDM wrote:
    I always liked the guy in the back of one of the diners in fallout 2 that will ask you for $1000 when you talk to him, then if you pay him and talk to him again, he will ask you if you are willing to have sex with him for $1000... so you can get hot gay sex for free... yeah...
    Haha, that reminds me of Fable: The Lost Chapters, where you could put a wig and dress on to sleep with a guy so you could get the deed to the bordello.

core tactic on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Echo wrote:

I have never played either of the fallout games but I own both. This makes me really want to try them. Would I be better off playing 1 first or just jumping right into 2?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Echo wrote:

I have never played either of the fallout games but I own both. This makes me really want to try them. Would I be better off playing 1 first or just jumping right into 2?

I usually don't do this but,
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073838093
    ^Fallout 1,2 and Tactics thread.
    Haha, that reminds me of Fable: The Lost Chapters, where you could put a wig and dress on to sleep with a guy so you could get the deed to the bordello.

Why wasn't I informed that this game was so twisted?

JamesDM on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Dude, 1 is so awesome there's no reason not to play both in order.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    JamesDM wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Echo wrote:

I usually don't do this but,
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073838093
    ^Fallout 1,2 and Tactics thread.

Why wasn't I informed that this game was so twisted?
    "Pretty Polly", the 80 something year old hooker pretty much embodies that.

core tactic on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Also, playing 2 first spoils one of the greatest game endings of all time.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    RobRob Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In Pokemon Red/Blue, I was trading my Machoke to become a Machamp, and my friend traded his lvl 99 Blastoise. My batteries died, and he turned his off. When we turned them back one, Machoke was gone and I had myself a lvl 99 Blastoise.

:)

Rob on
    alchemy.gif
  • Options
    FlavabeanFlavabean Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm buckling down and getting this game tonight, you guys better not be fucking me in the ass with these stellar responses to a decade old game.

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    right, quick question about this.
    Was i just being dyslexic while playing FFVII, or am i the only person that ever read her name as Aeris. Is there, like, a different spelling for the US version, or.. seriously, what the hell?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    No, it's Aeris in the US version.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    Was i just being dyslexic while playing FFVII, or am i the only person that ever read her name as Aeris. Is there, like, a different spelling for the US version, or.. seriously, what the hell?
    People say "Aerith" to denote their self-percieved 1337ness. Frankly I hated the bitch, cheered when [spoiler:a2f3ab990a]she died[/spoiler:a2f3ab990a], and don't give a fuck whether or not I'm "true to the original holy texts of the great Square" or whatever. It's just a Japanese approximation of a distinctly not-Japanese name. Personally I think Aeris is a more correct spelling, since it's the actual name and not an approximation.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    People say "Aerith" to denote their self-percieved 1337ness. Frankly I hated the bitch, cheered when she died, and don't give a fuck whether or not I'm "true to the original holy texts of the great Square" or whatever. It's just a Japanese approximation of a distinctly not-Japanese name. Personally I think Aeris is a more correct spelling, since it's the actual name and not an approximation.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Either that, or a lot of Japanophiles have one hell of a lisp that shows itself when they write text.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Bew! Bew! Bew!Bew! Bew! Bew! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    so ff7 on the psp.. better graphics or the same?

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • Options
    Tails CorraTails Corra Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does it really matter to either try to remain faithful to one interpretation of the name, or to net-trottle those who don't use your version of it?

Tails Corra on
    Wii FC: 4136 3615 8283 3576
    Brawl: 3265 4738 2973
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've always thought that calling her "Aerith" was like calling the main character "Koo-row-doo Stew-rie-foo".

And why would anyone do that?

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    People say "Aerith" to denote their self-percieved 1337ness. Frankly I hated the bitch, cheered when [spoiler:25c45fee8f]she died[/spoiler:25c45fee8f], and don't give a fuck whether or not I'm "true to the original holy texts of the great Square" or whatever. It's just a Japanese approximation of a distinctly not-Japanese name. Personally I think Aeris is a more correct spelling, since it's the actual name and not an approximation.

actually, I thought I read that some printings of VII do use "Aerith"?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    D.T. wrote:
    I've always thought that calling her "Aerith" was like calling the main character "Koo-row-doo Stew-rie-foo".

lisp? :P

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Slightly better. It really shows it's age, but it works out fine.

core tactic on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lanz wrote:
    D.T. wrote:

I hope you're not taking the pith out of thothe of uth with lithpth. It'th very inthenthetive of you, ith that. Thome of uth can't help the way we thpeak.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Bew! Bew! Bew!Bew! Bew! Bew! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

any idea if theres additional content?

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Uh, okay, I think we're talking about different things now.

core tactic on
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aeris is called Aerith in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, and, if I'm not mistaken and IMDB isn't lying to me, Advent Children. And since those games and the movie was made after FFVII, it's not a terribly strange idea to think that Aerith is her official name now.

Icarus on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Icarus wrote:
    Aeris is called Aerith in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, and, if I'm not mistaken and IMDB isn't lying to me, Advent Children. And since those games and the movie was made after FFVII, it's not a terribly strange idea to think that Aerith is her official name now.

Actually, here's a quick question.

I've seen Advent Children a lot, but I don't think there is a point in the movie where Aeris is referenced by name. Am I just having a memory lapse?

Javen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Javen wrote:
    Icarus wrote:

I've seen Advent Children a lot, but I don't think there is a point in the movie where Aeris is referenced by name. Am I just having a memory lapse?
    I don't remember any name references either.

core tactic on
  • Options
    TheOne(AndOnly)TheOne(AndOnly) Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Javen wrote:
    Icarus wrote:

I don't remember any name references either.

Credits?

TheOne(AndOnly) on
    BNet USEast: Lampley | PKBlack FC:1850-1035-3335 | LoL PATheOneAndOnly
    PSN: Lqmpley | Steam: TheOne(AndOnly)
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lanz wrote:
    D.T. wrote:

Less of a lisp and more of two american words like Cloud and Strife being forced to conform to the sounds of the japanese language.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Daboo?

Hensler on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Regardless of which version of her name is official, the one ending in 'th' just sounds stupid to me. I'd feel the same way if all of the Final Fantasy franchise's Cids were officially pronounced 'Thid.' It just doesn't work for me.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nightslyr wrote:
    Regardless of which version of her name is official, the one ending in 'th' just sounds stupid to me. I'd feel the same way if all of the Final Fantasy franchise's Cids were officially pronounced 'Thid.' It just doesn't work for me.

Because you don't have a speech impediment?

Javen on