As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dress for success! or don't?

Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Do you dress to your audience?
Do you let your actions speak louder than your Rockin' t-shirts from Metallica's latest tour?
Do you think khakis and a polo convey a sense of establishment and respect?
Or do they say "I'm a tool who subscribes to corporate america's bs"?

several opinions peeled from another thread to start us off
Zampanov wrote: »
The service is what the customer base of those stores care about. They want the employees to know the product and be helpful. That is all the "excellence" that is required. Wearing different clothes than jeans and a t-shirt does not make anyone more "excellent." Jesus Christ.
jclast wrote: »
Meh. I don't represent something larger than myself. I'm there because they pay me to be there. If they ask that I dress a certain way while I'm there I weigh that against how much I'm being paid and how much I need the money. Considering that my paycheck covers a mortgage and 2 car payments I'll bend to wearing a polo while I'm at work. But you know what, I don't act any less professionally when I'm in on the weekend or working a midshift and wearing a t-shirt that I bought at Old Navy.

Clothes really don't make the man. Work history, work ethic, and results do. Any manager who can't or doesn't see that is doing it wrong.
Uhg.
Yes, everyone should wear jeans and t-shirts all the time, who cares anyways?
Good is good enough, why strive for excellent?

You're literally saying as long as he doesn't look visually repulsive he's ok with me.
Does that mean I won't dress up to make an impression? Hell no. I'll upgrade to business casual (or whatever khakis and a polo with nice shoes is) when there are high-ranking Air Force people around because it is important to _them_. I appreciate quite a bit that it is not at all important to my boss that I wear tan pants instead of blue ones. And why should it? I sit at a desk and do my job. Who the fuck cares what pants I'm wearing that day?
Deebaser wrote: »
Yeah, I don't get the push for ultra-casual. If I walked into a meeting in jeans and a T I'd get looks like I lost my goddamn mind. Everyone's work experience isn't the same and subject to the lowest common denominator standards of dress.

Retail clerks should be at a minimum neat and well attired. They reflect on the business. There is a wide gulf between Hot Topic and Brooks Brothers, and each org gets to decide where they want to fit on that scale.

fight!

twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
Captain Vash on

• Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whether you like it or not, your clothes make a statement about you. If that statement is "Meh," then be prepared for people to respond accordingly.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I for one long for the days when men all dressed like Atticus Finch.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This whole thread will be a case of YMMV in most companies. In mine, VPs walk around with slacks and a button up, no tie. Managers will alternate between ties and polos, but most wear khakis. Floor level wear pretty much anything "better" than jeans and a t-shirt, but not by much.

It's a call center, so there isn't a lot of physical customer interaction. There's just a general level of decency expected.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Whether you like it or not, your clothes make a statement about you. If that statement is "Meh," then be prepared for people to respond accordingly.

it has been stated strongly that this is a relic of a system that needs to fall by the wayside.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I hate dressing up.

Being pretentious about clothing isn't unheard of or even unreasonable - I just hate wearing tight-fitting, expensive clothes.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

it has been stated strongly that this is a relic of a system that needs to fall by the wayside.

And like everything else, simply an opinion. Tradition will hold as long as the person making the rules makes sure it holds.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Because there's an image entities want to project and since you don't have time to sit down and get to know the employees, they go for making a first impression through looks.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The thing to remember is that dressing casual holds meaning other than "I don't care" and that of course how you look is going to affect what people think of you.

Also, no one sane complains that they have to take showers, cut their hair every once in a while, shave, and do other things to take care of their appearance, but god forbid I should have to put on good-looking clothes? Really?

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    The thing to remember is that dressing casual holds meaning other than "I don't care" and that of course how you look is going to affect what people think of you.

Also, no one sane complains that they have to take showers, cut their hair every once in a while, shave, and do other things to take care of their appearance, but god forbid I should have to put on good-looking clothes? Really?

thank you sir.

I was getting thrashed for trying to make that issue in the gamestop thread.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It does. What does it say about my capabilities as anything other than a fashionista when I wear a suit and tie instead of jeans and a sweater?

I can understand telling employees "no printed t-shirts," but if I want to wear blue jeans that aren't stained, faded, and full of holes along with a clean plain black t-shirt what's the big deal? Where does the assumption that I will be better at my job if I am wearing slacks, a button down shirt, and a tie come from? Because I know it is not true for me. I am not comfortable in those clothes, and I will not work as effectively while wearing them.

EDIT: I guess my point is that "professional" does not always need to (or ever, in my opinion) mean suit and tie. Why can't it mean "put on clean, inoffensive clothes after a shave and shower"?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    <3Science<3Science Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So everyone should wear the same colour jeans, with the same cut, the same plain white t-shirt, and look exactly the same?

Regardless of what you wear IT MAKES A STATEMENT ABOUT YOU. And there is nothing wrong with this. If you wear a Slayer tshirt it means you like Heavy Metal, if you wear a tie it means you are a business man. If your shirt is covered in holes and stains you are a vagrant. These stereotypes might not be true, but they exist and you should use them to your advantage to convey something without having to hang a sign around your next.

<3Science on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't understand suits in an office. I like wearing suits every now and again, but i think i would kill myself if i lived on the east coast and looked like everyone else except for my variation on the "power tie" every day. I like wearing suits when i go out, not to work to look like my old fat ass boss. But what is worse is the tan pants. Fuck tan pants. Fuck you, dockers. What i can understand is looking clean, not having offensive shirts on, etc. But beyond that some dress codes are just too professional.

It probably doesn't help me that i live in San Diego, the most casual place in America.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am not trying to say that people will not make snap judgments based on clothes, and I am certainly not saying that everyone should wear a specific cut of jeans. I am just saying that maybe "professional dress" needs to be reexamined because khakis don't magically make me better at my job. And blue jeans don't either. So why the big fuss? If you want to wear khakis and I want to wear jeans we should both be allowed to so long as they're clean and not full of holes.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My work is pretty leinant on Buisness casual. You can wear Jeans, but you have to have a collared shirt. It can be a print but nothing offensive can be on it. You can also do the collared shirt thats open with a T shirt under it. Basicly nothing offensive, No shorts, No flip flops. The only exceptions to this is the weekends where its just "not offensive". We basicly don't wear uniforms in my call center but they don't want us to look like slobs either when we get potential partners or people looking to hire us for contracts.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I dress for my environment, and err towards better.

But I'm prone to keeping things to my narrow band of preferred colors. I do not own a single white shirt.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

thank you sir.

Hygiene != clothing. Routinely associating casual attire with uncleanliness will not score you any points here.

Also just a quick point of clarification, Khavall: Do you mean to say that dressing casual holds NO other meaning than "I don't care"? Personally, I don't think it holds any meaning at all and if it does it certainly isn't "I don't care". Show me this meaning and how it comes from my clothes.

I understand it's tradition, that's the way it's always been, whatever. That doesn't make it so.

People want SO BADLY to judge a person by their appearances. It's kind of disgusting. They want to know about your qualities, what you've got on the inside, what makes you tick, how you think, what your skills are... these are difficult and often impossible things for them to know so instead they do what? They do what's easy. They judge you based on what they can see, what's on the outside, and then assume it must be a reflection of what's on the inside. Dumb.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    There should be a disclaimer for people who might work at a place requiring uniforms (i.e. retail store like Best Buy, restaurant chain, etc): this thread doesn't concern you (imo).

As for corporate dress (or generally, any place not requiring a uniform) - dress codes are required to maintain a standard. Since the going theory is that clothing represents your personal opinions and views, corporations create and enforce dress codes in order to attempt to maintain a standard of behavior. Coasting along in your pressed jeans will only get you so far if the code requires at least khakis.

OT: why the hell would a company forbid non-pleated khakis? Or forbid pleated ones, for that matter? Who cares?!

1ddqd on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I don't understand suits in an office. I like wearing suits every now and again, but i think i would kill myself if i lived on the east coast and looked like everyone else except for my variation on the "power tie" every day. I like wearing suits when i go out, not to work to look like my old fat ass boss. But what is worse is the tan pants. Fuck tan pants. Fuck you, dockers. What i can understand is looking clean, not having offensive shirts on, etc. But beyond that some dress codes are just too professional.

It probably doesn't help me that i live in San Diego, the most casual place in America.

I'd argue that Seattle is just as casual if not more so to a fault.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    <3Science wrote: »
    Regardless of what you wear IT MAKES A STATEMENT ABOUT YOU. And there is nothing wrong with this. If you wear a Slayer tshirt it means you like Heavy Metal, if you wear a tie it means you are a business man. If your shirt is covered in holes and stains you are a vagrant. These stereotypes might not be true, but they exist and you should use them to your advantage to convey something without having to hang a sign around your next.

This is true but it depends on the situation as always. I'm a computer programmer and wear whatever the fuck I want and only talk to other people on my team. I could dress nicer but it wouldn't get me anywhere in my current job. Hell I have been mocked for being too formal at my office for wearing a dress shirt untucked and jeans.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Here's a good time to point out a fond mantra I've heard in many companies: "Dress not for the position you have, rather, dress for the position you want"

...which is why I keep my tuxedo freshly cleaned!

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    Here's a good time to point out a fond mantra I've heard in many companies: "Dress not for the position you have, rather, dress for the position you want"

I don't think my employer really wants me to show up in the boxer shorts and robe of a guy who can afford to play video games all day because he finally hit the Lotto.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

You want to serve rolls to people listening to speeches at charity dinners?

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

The jobs I want are higher level software eningeering jobs. Those people dress just as casually as I do.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Exactly, right now I want a promotion from level 2 to level 3. The difference between how I dress and how a level 3 dresses is exactly none.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The jobs I want are higher level software eningeering jobs. Those people dress just as casually as I do.

Then make sure you dress casually very well.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wanna work for google, come to work in my PJ's or a bathing suit and bring a slip slide.

OR, GASP: work from home. I dont get why that concept died out so fast, its great if you go into the office every other day and bring in work/do work. I'm gonna work nude one day, might as well be sooner rather than me wondering into work naked when im 60.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wazilla wrote: »

People want SO BADLY to judge a person by their appearances. It's kind of disgusting. They want to know about your qualities, what you've got on the inside, what makes you tick, how you think, what your skills are... these are difficult and often impossible things for them to know so instead they do what? They do what's easy. They judge you based on what they can see, what's on the outside, and then assume it must be a reflection of what's on the inside. Dumb.

Clothing was a symbol of station long before the important people were trimming their togas with purple dye.

Everyone judges everyone else by their appearances. If you want to fit in at an office, suit up. If you want to fit in at a goth club, wear black pleather and a studded collar. Every subculture has their norms and standards.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Clothing was a symbol of station long before the important people were trimming their togas with purple dye.

Everyone judges everyone else by their appearances. If you want to fit in at an office, suit up. If you want to fit in at a goth club, wear black pleather and a studded collar. Every subculture has their norms and standards.

If you wear a suit in the office I work in everybody will ask if you have a job interview later in the day. The dressiest that management two levels up from me gets is dress slacks, a button down, and a tie.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I hate dressing up.

Being pretentious about clothing isn't unheard of or even unreasonable - I just hate wearing tight-fitting, expensive clothes.

Find a new tailor. Business wear shouldn't feel tight or uncomfortable. It should feel awesome.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I wanna work for google, come to work in my PJ's or a bathing suit and bring a slip slide.

OR, GASP: work from home. I dont get why that concept died out so fast, its great if you go into the office every other day and bring in work/do work. I'm gonna work nude one day, might as well be sooner rather than me wondering into work naked when im 60.

There are tons of work from home jobs in Seattle.

I avoid them, however, because I actually want to -advance- in whatever company I get involved in.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I hate dressing up.

Find a new tailor. Business wear shouldn't feel tight or uncomfortable. It should feel awesome.

And why should I have to wear expensive clothes to do my job?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Because you do not know how to shop around.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Regardless of the caliber of clothing being bought enough suits for a week is going to cost more than decent jeans and polos. Again, why should I have to wear expensive (or more expensive) clothes to do my job?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I hate dressing up.

Why should you do anything that anyone else asks you to do?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

The punchline I know is "So the next day, I came in wearing a Yankees uniform."

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    mrt144 wrote: »
    I hate dressing up.

If I can logically explain why that requirement is silly I don't think I should. I am not magically more productive in a suit. And unless I am interacting with customers all day (which I don't) I have nobody that I need to form a good impression of me and my company.

EDIT: That isn't to say that my coworkers shouldn't think I am a good employee - only that they should know to judge me based on work done and not clothing choice.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Regardless of the caliber of clothing being bought enough suits for a week is going to cost more than decent jeans and polos. Again, why should I have to wear expensive (or more expensive) clothes to do my job?

Why should you wear a shirt that is not covered in barbeque sauce?

Because people are more comfortable working with people who can show that they give a shit.

But man, having a week's worth of business attire isn't that expensive. Go to fucking Target or Mervyns.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

thank you sir.

Hygiene != clothing. Routinely associating casual attire with uncleanliness will not score you any points here.

Also just a quick point of clarification, Khavall: Do you mean to say that dressing casual holds NO other meaning than "I don't care"? Personally, I don't think it holds any meaning at all and if it does it certainly isn't "I don't care". Show me this meaning and how it comes from my clothes.

I understand it's tradition, that's the way it's always been, whatever. That doesn't make it so.

But it's not just hygiene. There's no hygiene reason I shave my face, I just look better without a beard. Some guys don't or do but very specifically. There's no hygiene reason that right now I'm letting my hair grow out but other times I cut it, again, I'm going for a look. We change our appearance in so many ways for specific reasons and I don't see why clothes should be different. Why do I almost always wear something that can be open in the front, be it semi-zipped hoodie, blazer, suit jacket, button-down, or whatever? Because that works well for me. I change it up sometimes to make sure I have variety, but I dress certain ways to go for certain looks. I don't see why that's a problem or why that needs to go by the wayside. Sure, appearance doesn't tell you everything about the person. But it tells you what their appearance is, how much they care about their appearance, and a few other things. And it tells you everything it tells you immediately.

You may not be able to tell a book by its cover, but if the cover is a shirtless dude with a rose in his teeth and the title is "Read about this guy having sex" and you wanted to read sci-fi, or you needed an instructional booklet you can probably figure out that the book's not what you're looking for. Appearance is a useful barometer for many things.

Also, no I wasn't saying that casual dressing has no other meaning than I don't care. Which is why I said that it does have other meaning than I don't care. Often when I'm working as a director with people who I've worked with before and am comfortable and friendly with, I feel ok dressing casually, or loosening up the belt, undoing the tie, unbuttoning the shirt, whatever, because in addition to being comfortable enough with the people that I know they'll be fine and any authority I have won't be compromised it tells them that I feel comfortable with them. If they first see me snazzying up the outfit and then I relax around them, it feels more relaxed and intimate. If I'm performing instead of directing, I don't outdress the director, and I try to fit in with any other group members so that we can fit together and work together. If I'm leading in a performance, I put on some extra level of dressing up than if I'm performing. Of course when I play with my band instead of my normal performance clothes I wear a vest, tie, non-suit button-down and jeans. etc. etc. etc. Picking clothes to match an occasion is just as important as tempering actions to fit an occasion.

Now, the extra note that is important to my view is that I have no dress code. I dress how I do because I want to, because I look better in certain clothes, and because I use the clothing, not because someone is telling me I must wear x, y, and z because a, b, and c will feel d, e, and f about it.

All I'm saying is that clothes and appearance does have an affect on people other than tradition, and it's not a horrible thing that needs to stop.

And finally, Looking nice doesn't mean being uncomfortable. Get better dress clothes if you're uncomfortable. I can wear my tux or a suit out and feel pretty good about how I look in them and be pretty comfortable in them.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Why should you wear a shirt that is not covered in barbeque sauce?

Because people are more comfortable working with people who can show that they give a shit.

But man, having a week's worth of business attire isn't that expensive. Go to fucking Target or Mervyns.

This is the point I am making. Clean jeans and clean polos ought to be considered business attire. I already have plenty of that. And as a bonus I like wearing those things when I am not at work. I find it pretty stupid that our society seems to think I should have two wardrobes when my job does not expressly require specialized clothing.

EDIT: As to the comfort of dress clothes - my dress clothes fit well and were professionally tailored. I just don't care for how they feel. It is preference that is not born of owning shitty dress clothes. Some people don't care for how boots feel as opposed to sneakers. I don't care for how suits feel as opposed to jeans and a t-shirt.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    mrt144 wrote: »
    I hate dressing up.

If I can logically explain why that requirement is silly I don't think I should. I am not magically more productive in a suit. And unless I am interacting with customers all day (which I don't) I have nobody that I need to form a good impression of me and my company.

You're also not a special little snowflake impervious to arbitrary rules used to create a unified work environment through dress, language, activity, etc etc.

mrt144 on