As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hooking up computer using new "kids" projector [video]

MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
I don't know if you've heard of the product but they have them at wal-marts and the like, its a small projector type device that uses an LED and it runs around 100 USD.

It has an RCA hook up and that is all from what I understand.

I was thinking of building a smallish computer to hook up to said device for the sole purpose of maybe playing a few games on the projector.

I know S-vid to RCA is a pretty crap decision, I don't think I've ever seen anything run very well on it.

Does anyone know if there are certain video cards that could display well to RCA (don't need anything fancy).

I thought this might be a nice project but I don't even want to get into the expenses if I figure it's not worth the trouble.

Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
MoSiAc on

• Options
    Tanooki MarioTanooki Mario __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Hit NewEgg. I don't even know if they make video cards with RCA out.

I imagine these things are putting out crap lumens and can't possibly be of that good quality. I'd rather spend the $100+ on something else, but that's just me.

Tanooki Mario on
    I'm the artist formerly known as Satan.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Reviews have said for one it's made for, its actually a rather good device. They said it does need to be dark when you use it though, but that's usually how I play games anyway so that's not an issue.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The video card doesn't need RCA out, just s-video.
    $0.84 plus shipping
    $1.83 shipped, possibly worse quality

corky842 on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    corky842 wrote: »
    The video card doesn't need RCA out, just s-video.
    $0.84 plus shipping
    $1.83 shipped, possibly worse quality

This. And you're going to be limited to an effective resolution of 480i so don't expect awesome details.

It'd work great for playing old-school games though.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well the idea was to do this and play WoW, because that's about all I play. I seem to remember most of the time text looks bad when you go through s-video.

Not sure if that would be the issue with this or not though.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    Well the idea was to do this and play WoW, because that's about all I play. I seem to remember most of the time text looks bad when you go through s-video.

Not sure if that would be the issue with this or not though.

No.

It'll look worse.

DVI/HDMI > VGA > Component > S-Video > Composite > RF in terms of quality.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like this idea is dead that's what you get I guess when you try to save money hehe.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, for WoW? Yeah, I doubt you'd even be able to read anything at all. Composite will be 480i, so 240 lines shown on alternating fields and blown up to whatever size you're projecting at? The quality of the picture and the eyestrain caused by it wouldn't even be close to worth it.

Houndx on