Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Asheron's Call] Nov. 2, 1999 -- Jan. 31, 2017

1252627282931»

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    71 million packets. Not a single person thought to play chess or do the fishing minigame.

time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • kowikowi Registered User regular
    I need to find their FB account now.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    What are they going to do about an emulator for a dead game? Spend extra money on enforcing the take down? Care about a game they chose to just drop completely and basically want nothing to do with? I mean there is a chance they try to stop it, but honestly I don't think they care enough at this point.

steam_sig.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 6
    Sending a CND don't cost anything for a corporation with a team of lawyers on staff.

If this had happened six months after the shut down, I'd probably agree. This is literally a week later.

Anon the Felon on
    It doesn't cost them anything to send a CND, but what about following through with it?

I mean yeah I don't know much about how that works, but I thought the CND was basically a warning of what would happen, and nothing more? I guess it would be all about calling the bluff.

Likely they don't really care. They want the game back and they can get it back. If they get shut down then they have the code of at least the gameplay, and can work on editing it to not involve any of the IP. Or anything really. Getting it out there right away might be about getting as much attention to get any help they can.

steam_sig.png
    There's a lot of complicated issues at work here.

There are two different things called a C&D. One is from the government called a Cease and Desist Order, and states you have to stop immediately or face fines, jail time, etc. The other is from a company or private citizen and is effectively a glorified threat or demand.

A C&D in this case would be a threat, not a legally actionable order. It would be up to the community to decide if the listened to it, or if they dared WB to sue them to stop it. And honestly, given how WB has handled this... I'm not sure I'd be on WB's side in this case.

There's also the whole DMCA thing. The EFF specifically got an exemption for breaking DRM for games that have online servers go down. However, the ESA fought against the EFF for Multiplayer and MMO server emulators, so a server emulator is legally muddy waters. It would be trivial to design an emulator to work local only (meaning it's a single player system and thus exempt) and then let some nefarious hacker re-enable the online play later.

IP protection does not extend to a "protocol," and you could also make a strong case to suggest that the communication between client and server is a communications protocol. Which means there's nothing stopping you from reverse engineering that aspect of it.

One also has to go back to just why this happened. WB shut down the game and nuked the community from orbit. Official game, official forums, official site, official facebook, official corporate homepage mentions, all gone. We don't know why. There's a few theories.

If they're retooling the game to have Microtransactions, well, they wouldn't have dropped it outright they would have sent it to SSG, so that's likely out. Remember, there are no Turbine staff left at WB. "Turbine" is just WB pulling an EA and abusing the name's good will.

If they're embarrassed about the game, they probably won't go after anyone setting up emulators due to the press involved.

If they're planning on doing something with the IP or game -- for example, if this was a plot to nuke the lifetime subs, or they plan on making a mobile game with the Name and IP, or they actually did sell it -- then yeah, we'll be seeing a DMCA / C&D fairly soon.

For the record, the SaveAC team has outright prohibited discussing emulators on their Facebook page. They do not consider it a valid option and instead are looking into other options, like using the AC design documents to create new spiritual successors, or working with that gaming museum to try and get an AC exhibit set up.

Myself... I don't anticipate a DMCA or C&D, although I remain worried about it. I do not think one would stop or even slow down the emulators' development at this point. In the end, I maintain this is the best path going forward:

* Emulated server with basic functionality
    * Emulated client with basic functionality
    * Convergent development to make the emulated server and client speak the exact right language

At this point you'd have a functional client and server that can perfectly communicate with each other, but couldn't talk to the original server and client. In other words, you would have just bootstrapped a third party AC remake -- and removing the IP, redesigning things, etc becomes trivial.

time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
    That is basically what I thought.

I don't think they need to hide an emulator at this point because what the hell do they have to lose? We have NOTHING left so even if we got something briefly and lost it, we are no worse off than if they had hidden it in the shadows for x amount of time.

I think more than that, they might want answers, and putting an emulator out there in the wild is basically saying "your move now WB" in order to get some form of idea exactly what the hell they are thinking.

steam_sig.png
    So the saving throw that AC's playerbase just hit? Rolled a 20, in fact?

Decal.

Turns out the near two decades of Decal work have made the Decal devs more knowledgeable than Turbine about the AC client's protocols in many ways.

So now it's just a matter of implementation and then reverse engineering the game logic (combat mechanics et all). Which Turbine was quite open with over the years and has mostly been already figured out by min maxing players.

It's been figured out since like the first year of the game.

I remember having to work so hard to prove to a guy that when you both melee at the same height, you both miss more (causes a bonus to melee D % for both).

steam_sig.png
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Registered User regular
    I think it will be pretty hard to shut down an emulator even if WB does want to. After all, there is at least one successful World of Warcraft server running, by people who wanted to return the game to a 'vanilla' state. Has Blizzard/Activision tried to shut them down? Of course they have.

But some countries just shrug at these sorts of fights.

edited February 9
    http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/09/asherons-call-fan-project-saves-as-much-info-as-it-can/

131 million packets containing over 224 million total game messages. Wow.

KiTA on
    eelektrikFartacus_the_MightyShadowfire
    PhatAC Stress Test:

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Good. I'm looking forward to loving what they do for me.

steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter