As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gah! Building a PC afterall

-Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining.Registered User regular
So after looking at laptops for games for a while, I've ended up back at building a desktop - I've got the room for it now. Checking a few local places for prices, I found one that does a build your own PC online quote, which I thought was neat, but I have no idea if the parts are actually compatible, or, well, if the system is good at all. Can anyone give me feed back on the system?

Core2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz/6Mb/1333FSB
Cooler Master 650W Power Supply
1TB SATAII HDD
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333Mhz (2x2GB Kit)
Gigabyte P55-UD3P Intel Motherboard 1156
Nvidia GTS250 1GB PCI Express

The only things I'm really worried about is the motherboards compatibility and if the graphics card is a lemon. From what I've read online, the motherboard shouldn't have any problems, but you never know if someone has a nugget of vital information.

-Loki- on

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't really know anything about whats currently good but there's an entire sticky thread full of people who do.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Tanooki MarioTanooki Mario __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Might want to try the computer build thread stickied to the top of this forum.

Touché, shadydentist.

Tanooki Mario on
    I'm the artist formerly known as Satan.
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    First of all that motherboard does not match your CPU. You'll want a i5-750 anyway and it will work with that MB. At least in the US it's $30 more and is much, much faster.

For a single GPU setup, you only really need a 500W PSU at most.

The GTS 250 is on the verge of obsolete (compared to other options it will still do a good job playing most games.) But it's hard to give advice not knowing either the prices of ATI 48XX cards or the availability of ATI 5XXX cards down under.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ... how did I miss that? Thanks. I'll have a poke around.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    ... how did I miss that? Thanks. I'll have a poke around.

Just keep in mind that the OP is in a bit of disarray since most of the cards I want to recommend are in short supply for now.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been checking and changed a few things in my online quote based on that, and my PC has come out at about $1600au.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Have you considered a Radeon GPU? They tend to be cheaper for comparable performance.

Reboot on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No, I'm going with a nvidia card. I've always had one, never had problems with them, and I want to see what this phys-x business is all about.

As I put in the computer build thread, I changed my quote at this place to:

Core i5 750 2.66Ghz/8Mb/LGA1156
    Thermaltake ToughPower 750W
    1TB SATAII HDD
    4GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333Mhz (2x2GB Kit)
    Gigabyte P55-UD5 Intel Motherboard 1156
    Nvidia GTX275 896Mb PCI Express
    DVD-RW SATAII

With Windows 7 it comes to about $1800, so that's probably what I'm going to go with.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ah. Well I guess it's a matter of preference. New config looks better. :)

Reboot on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    One burning question - I recall thermaltake stuff being good quality years ago, are they still? I don't want a dud PSU that's going to hurt it in the long run.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I use a 650W HEC myself... Thermaltake is still a reliable brand.

Reboot on