As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

kjhgjhgkjh

GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
k

Gammarah on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ask her out. It's hard to say if she's into you or considers you a good friend, it could be either or both. Only if you ask her out will you be able to definitively know.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm, I'll just say it, that honestly I suspect you're probably already far into good friend territory and to just enjoy having a really good friend. Beyond that, only way to know for sure is to ask, and if confidence is no problem, this should be easy. But prepare yourself for the possible no scenario, and also what happens to a friendship when you introduce romance into the dynamic. Basically what I'm saying is don't be that guy who ends up being rebuffed and then spends his entire existence trying to get the girl and so on.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You both sound like good friends and seem mature enough, a simple "I value our friendship, it means a good deal to me and we have a good time together. Would you like to go out sometime and see how it goes?" should be sufficient. Anything that is simple, to the point, and doesn't put a lot of pressure on her will be fine.

Rebecca on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gammarah wrote: »
    Hey H/A, I've been thinking about this for a while and I'd like to hear your opinions and/or advice. I've known this girl for about four years or so. We met back in middle school, and have been very good friends ever since then. I've always been attracted to her, but wasn't really able to express my feelings well back then and nothing ever came of it. Plus I didn't have much self-confidence back then (which has been fixed), and all that middle school bullshit.

Due to not being in classes with each other for all of high school so far, we didn't see each other much for about two years, but still remained friends and talked to each other and all that. However, we've really started hanging out a lot more this year, and now I talk to her all the time, and have hung out at her place quite a lot playing street fighter and what not.

[Issue itself]

-Cooked for me
    -Played guitar for me
    -Teaching me how to play guitar
    -Loaned me a ton of manga and guitar tabs
    -Upon me mentioning once that my birthday was coming up, she surprised me by making this awesome, really funny birthday comic full of inside jokes (it was really cute).

[etc, things that happened]

Do it man

You really can't lose here

EDIT: Jasconius' avatar oozes cool

Kazaka on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    seems like she is into you. She cooked for you and helped you learn guitar and made you a present for your birthday that was a cutesy comic?

I don't see how she couldn't be into you.

edit: fur speel bad

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    seems like she is into you. She cooked for you and helped you learn guitar and made you a present for your birthday that was a cutesy comic?

I don't see how should couldn't be into you.

basically this

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hmm ok. I'll call her tomorrow and ask if she wants to go to the mall or something else thats casual, and see where it goes from there. I would say what Rebecca said but I don't want her to get uncomfortable by just straight up asking her out, I'd rather see where it goes once we're hanging out.
    Basically what I'm saying is don't be that guy who ends up being rebuffed and then spends his entire existence trying to get the girl and so on.

Yeah I definitely don't wanna be that guy. I'm not worried about what I'll do if she declines, and I definitely wouldn't want to make the friendship awkward through repeated attempts.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there somewhere you could go that is slightly less lame than the mall? Like, actually take her out somewhere? A concert? The zoo? The mall isn't really a date.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Is there somewhere you could go that is slightly less lame than the mall? Like, actually take her out somewhere? A concert? The zoo? The mall isn't really a date.

I'm not sure if theres anything else thats in our area, I'd have to check online. The outdoor mall near us is actually kinda cool though, although I see your point. What else is there to do really, as teenagers?

Gammarah on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but drinking a bit of alcohol does wonders for finding out if a girl is into you or not.

So many times i've been friends with a girl, getting to know them, then go out or have some drinks and my place and BAM she's sitting on my lap. I'm not even talking drunk. Just a beer or two and girls often jump directly onto what they want.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

The zoo is a good option. Lots of opportunities for laughs and d'awwww moments.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but drinking a bit of alcohol does wonders for finding out if a girl is into you or not.

So many times i've been friends with a girl, getting to know them, then go out or have some drinks and my place and BAM she's sitting on my lap. I'm not even talking drunk. Just a beer or two and girls often jump directly onto what they want.

Dude's in high school. This is probably not a straightforward option. :P

admanb on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You could go to a movie - just make sure she knows it's a date when you ask her....not just a hanging out sort of thing.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm with admanb and his tripping genie avatar (what's with me and avatars today, damn it). The zoo would be a great idea if the admission price doesn't stab you in the wallet. There are cheaper places too if that becomes a problem - depending on how chill this girl is, she might enjoy somewhere like a beach if you're near the water.

I hope all goes well for you OP.

EDIT: I totally see the Dangerfield aspect now that you mention it.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That genie isn't tripping, he's impersonating rodney dangerfield.

And when it comes to long-term friends like this, where you already do a lot of things that either best friends do or that people who are already dating do, it seems like this subject is best broached as more of a "why not" rather than a "justify your existence" approach.

In other words, if you justify your existence by saying "I think I love you, we get along well and I want to kiss you maybe?" It comes across as lame and uncomfortable. It takes the fun out of the friendship.

If you pose it as a "why not," you say something like "You know, we're having a great time right now, we ALWAYS have a great time -- why the hell aren't we dating or something?" It makes it much more casual AND it puts the ball in the other person's court.

If you say "I like you," it doesn't really segue into a question or a conversation. If you say "why aren't we in a relationship" it makes it obvious that you like the person but lets them shut you down if they're just not into you. If she comes back with "I don't know, I don't really like you in that way, you're more like a bro" then that's that. If she says "I don't know, I didn't want things to get weird between us," you can say "why would things get weird, we already act like we're dating with the birthday stuff and hanging out and all that."

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It won't destroy your friendship by asking her out, so do it

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll tell you right now, a few years ago I used to hang out with a girl a lot and both of us were just hells of shy. We talked about the same sort of stuff you do with this girl, and hanging out was always fun. I ended up crushing on her pretty hard and I was too shy to ask her for a while until I went away for a week to my grandparents' home. That week I resolved to ask her out as soon as I got back. The day I got back I was greeted with a message from her asking me out.

I don't see what you've got to lose. Just don't come on too strong and if she says no, you've still got an awesome friend. Go for it!

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

I'm not sure if theres anything else thats in our area, I'd have to check online. The outdoor mall near us is actually kinda cool though, although I see your point. What else is there to do really, as teenagers?

Try and think of something out of the usual and light. Rock climbing, boat tour if you're coastal. Frisbee depending on temperature. Museums are everywhere, even wierd ones can be fun if you go ironically...

...or you could always just go to the goddamn mall... grumble grumble

Deebaser on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The same question that gets asked 20 times a week

I had one of these as well, man up and ask her.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait, you're in the crazy girlfriend/boyfriend thread saying you just broke up with your girl yesterday....

?!?! Explanation please? That could potentially change any advice we give...

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Small update, talked to her today, ended up spending like two hours together cause of student council. Asked if she wanted to go out anywhere, threw out mall, movies, zoo, all that as suggestions, and she was pretty enthusiatic about going somewhere. Only problem is she's really busy this week, and so am I, so we weren't really able to get a solid plan. However, if shes free we'll probably see Zombieland this week, and she also suggested playing lazertag with a bunch of people we know on Veterans Day. Either way, I'll try to make our plans segue into doing stuff or hanging out afterwards. I wanted to make it seem like we should be "going out" but didn't wanna to lay that on too thickly, so I just kinda hinted at it.
    If you pose it as a "why not," you say something like "You know, we're having a great time right now, we ALWAYS have a great time -- why the hell aren't we dating or something?" It makes it much more casual AND it puts the ball in the other person's court.

This is what I was thinking of doing once we were hanging out. Seems pretty casual and gets the point across, which is exactly what I wanted.
    Wait, you're in the crazy girlfriend/boyfriend thread saying you just broke up with your girl yesterday....

The two situations don't really mix. What do you want to know exactly?

Not really an option. Theres the double whammy of being in high school and her not being interested in alcohol.

Thanks to all of you who gave me advice and told me how and if to do it, really helped me out a lot. This isn't done yet, though. Any advice on something I should have said?

Gammarah on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks to all of you who gave me advice and told me how and if to do it, really helped me out a lot. This isn't done yet, though. Any advice on something I should have said?

Seems alright. Just a note in advance though: at some point in the next week or two you're going to want to post again. I can tell you with 90% certainty that our responses will be one of two:

(1) That's too bad blah blah </sympathy>.
    (2) Kiss her.

So you can just skip that part and tell us when you've kissed her.

admanb on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The two situations don't really mix. What do you want to know exactly?
    Well the problem is that they could mix. Here are the two possibilities:

(1) She sees you as a taken guy and therefore assumes you guys are nothing but the best of friends. I have had this happen before, both this way and in reverse (I am taken, guy wants to be friends, I assume he really does just want to be friends but he becomes interested in a relationship)

So she may have been doing things that were flirtatious or giving you that relationship-vibe, but it's only because she felt more comfortable and safer about showing affection, than she would if you were single and could potentially misinterpret your interest. This is almost exactly something I would think or do.

The thing is, every single item on that list you gave is stuff that most girls would do to show affection for people who are just good friends. I'm not a guy but it seems like guys show affection differently, so maybe that is why you are misinterpreting it.

(2) She sees you as a taken guy but actually IS interested in you and does want to date you and you are completely right. In that case, take the best advice from this thread and run with it.

__

A couple more notes:
    -A lot of girls would be a little wary of a guy who JUST popped out of a relationship and is now suddenly ready for a brand new relationship with them. I'm sure you aren't planning on popping the "dating" question to her, like, tonight or anything (right?) but just keep in mind the timing. There's nothing wrong with doing "hanging-out" type stuff but just be careful not to move too fast.
    -Does this new girl know anything about the relationship with the old girl? Does she know why you ended it, or that you were planning on ending it?

**Please note that this is all from my point of view as a female and may not reflect the views of every other female in the world, including your girl.**

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Well the problem is that they could mix. Here are the two possibilities:

(1) She sees you as a taken guy and therefore assumes you guys are nothing but the best of friends. I have had this happen before, both this way and in reverse (I am taken, guy wants to be friends, I assume he really does just want to be friends but he becomes interested in a relationship)

/etc

(2) She sees you as a taken guy but actually IS interested in you and does want to date you and you are completely right. In that case, take the best advice from this thread and run with it.

__

A couple more notes:
    -A lot of girls would be a little wary of a guy who JUST popped out of a relationship and is now suddenly ready for a brand new relationship with them. I'm sure you aren't planning on popping the "dating" question to her, like, tonight or anything (right?) but just keep in mind the timing. There's nothing wrong with doing "hanging-out" type stuff but just be careful not to move too fast.
    -Does this new girl know anything about the relationship with the old girl? Does she know why you ended it, or that you were planning on ending it?

**Please note that this is all from my point of view as a female and may not reflect the views of every other female in the world, including your girl.**

Thing is, all of the things I listed happened when I was single, about a month ago or more. My relationship with my now-ex (Lets just call her Rachel, just so she can be easily referenced), only lasted for a few weeks, and was not very serious at all. This is a big reason of why I don't want to rush this, because I didn't wanna just come out of one relationship and make it seem like I was defaulting back on current girl (lets call her Michelle). I also didn't want to jump in right away and then figure out that her feelings had changed while I was dating Rachel. So yes, definitely keeping the timing in mind.

As to your other question, I have told Michelle about what happened to make the relationship end with Rachel, but I kept it brief.
    admanb wrote: »
    So you can just skip that part and tell us when you've kissed her.

Will do.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd just go ahead and ask her out. If she's busy with school stuff that is obviously going to take priority given that it's High School. If scheduling is really a problem just say "Hey, I know you're busy but when you have some time maybe we could go out?"

Also, is the Olive Garden still a good place to go? It's been more than a decade since High School for me so I'm not sure if that's still the thing. I just remember that Olive Garden was the high school equivalent of a five star restaurant, if you took a girl to the Olive Garden then it was pretty much official.

I also feel inclined to emphasize a need for not worrying too much, which I think you're doing a nice job on. Whatever happens remember, it's just high school, you've got a lot of lifetime ahead of you to get in and out of relationships and stuff so just relax, ask her out and have a good time, responsibly of course.

(The circle is complete, I now espouse 'responsibility' just like my parents did to me in high school... perfect)

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Before you do this, make sure you want to change this friendship into something else. If things go bad, you might not be able to salvage anything from it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Before you do this, make sure you want to change this friendship into something else. If things go bad, you might not be able to salvage anything from it.

I believe that I do. And if it doesn't work out, then I'm fine with that. I'm sure that we'll still be friends if anything happens.

The LandoStander, that doesn't seem to be the case here with the Olive Garden thing. Thanks for the advice though. Thats exactly my attitude, its high school, and I've already wasted enough time worrying in freshman and sophomore year, might as well just have fun while I still have the opportunity.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When I was 15 I was good friends with a girl that went snowboarding with me and talked on the phone a lot. So i got up the nerve to.....ask her out over the phone :P and it worked. Then I mustered up the nerve to walk to her house and immediately give her a big sloppy kiss.

I think i was fairly insecure seeing as I was short for my age, scrawny, and had unfashionable clothes. Yet somehow it worked out.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Went out tonight. Had a great date, saw a movie, went around mall for a bit, grabbed dinner, went back to her place and watched another movie. Was laughing, holding hands and etc most of the time. Pretty fucking awesome night actually, had a lot of fun.

End of the night, as we're driving back she says that the relationship probably isn't going to work because shes known me as a friend for too long, and can't really disassociate "friend" from "boyfriend" after she knows someone for too long, says I am too great a friend for her to date. Had a long talk about it and she was very sincere, unfortunatly for her I've just been her friend for too long to make that leap, despite me saying that it wouldn't be that big a deal, however, the whole conversation was positive and we're still very good friends.

I've decided that I can either mope about this and be sad the rest of my life, or I can realize that I still have a great friend who I love hanging out with and be happy with that. I've chosen the latter option. For me, the reason why I was worrying before was that I wasn't sure of her feelings before, but now that I know, I'm much more comfortable with this. And I respect her too much to try and convince her that this relationship is going to work if she isn't 100% sure. And if she comes around eventually, it'll be awesome, but now I'm still happy to be her friend.

Thanks to all for your advice, really helped me out here. I've succesfully solved an issue thats been bugging me for a while, and it feels pretty good. Thanks H/A.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    HoovesHooves Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was going to come in here and say don't do it but it would appear that I am too late.

thats kinda shitty but at least you were able to salvage the friendship and it sounds like your'e approaching the situation with the right attitude so kudos to you.

Hooves on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's too bad. I do truly believe that it's better to regret a choice you made than one you refused to make. Hopefully you agree, even after this experience.

admanb on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gammarah, you have earned an eternal amount of respect from me. So many people would freak out and not be able to handle that situation but you....

You are being incredibly mature about it, I have no doubt you will have an excellent life because of this.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    That's too bad. I do truly believe that it's better to regret a choice you made than one you refused to make. Hopefully you agree, even after this experience.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'm very happy right now, as I had a lot of fun last night, and if I can continue to hang out with her like that I'll be even happier.
    Gammarah, you have earned an eternal amount of respect from me. So many people would freak out and not be able to handle that situation but you....

You are being incredibly mature about it, I have no doubt you will have an excellent life because of this.

Thanks :mrgreen: I can't stress enough how great this forum was for me. It was really refreshing to talk to someone about this who wasn't a high-schooler.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    guywhodoesn'tgethunguponstuff

You sir are awesome. Congrats to you for rolling with the punches. You are very strong.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was actually (after reading the first page) going to suggest not framing this as a date as shes probably not going to be able to get over the "friend" thing; however good on you for recognizing that things will probably be better this way. You have a good friend that you can hang with, and she has a good friend she can be herself with. Better to have a 100% friend than a Maybe% girlfriend.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks to all for your advice, really helped me out here. I've succesfully solved an issue thats been bugging me for a while, and it feels pretty good. Thanks H/A.

For me, it was obvious from the right from the first post you would fall into "Let's be friends" zone, but it is really great place to be. You really can't have too many friends in this world. And you handled things in wonderfully mature way, something that only few men seem to be able to do. Congrats. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.