As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech Help] Normally I'd charge $150 an hour for this kind of shit.

TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'llI think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
Is there a way to clear out what the NIC card tries to use as a preferred address when it has problems communicating with a DHCP server? This is on a Windows Vista machine. Help would be most appreciated.

Bless your heart.
TTODewback on

• Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do you mean like DHCP settings in windows to tell it a specific ip address and DNS address?

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Goto the TCP/IP properties, as if you were going to assign it a static IP. Select the Alternate Configuration tab. Fill in radio button next to "User configured" and then put in the parameters you want to go in effect.

I think that's supposed to do what you want, but right now I cannot take down my DHCP server just to test it out.

Djeet on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I assume you're talking about the APIPA scheme (169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.254) used when you can't contact a DHCP server. If so,

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

That will make you re-broadcast a DHCP discover message and should get you on the road to internet access again.

Krikee on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the help. It was mainly just for experimentation purposes while I was having some issues at work messing around with our guest wireless. The main problem in the end was that the DCHP server we use for it ran out of leases.

But it was a little quirk I was always curious about regardless.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.