As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unreal Development Kit released to everyone

LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.udk.com/index.html

Sorry if there's already a thread on this, I couldn't find it.

Capture-9.jpg

The Unreal Development Kit has just been released free. I'm downloading it right now. Seems you develop for free, and pay $99 straight up for a license to release your game commercially. That's all you pay until you make over 5K, at which point Epic take 25%.

This is so astoundingly awesome that I feel like I'm missing something. Am I?

LaCabra on

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not really. Installing it to my laptop presently. I've got a handful of ideas and lots of time to kill, let's get started.

Mechanical on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hah, I bet Tripwire is pissed right now. They had to win a long contest to get the same thing.

Phoenix-D on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    hah, I bet Tripwire is pissed right now. They had to win a long contest to get the same thing.

And this is an even better engine

Holy shit, this is really cool, and at the same time if I were Tripwire I'd be so peeved

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Huh.

Well this is, to put it simply, total fucking win.

Dartboy on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

And this is an even better engine

Holy shit, this is really cool, and at the same time if I were Tripwire I'd be so peeved

Nah, they got a UE3 license as well. Better than this since Epic doesn't eat 25% of their income, but still.

Phoenix-D on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is this as "holy shit" as I think it is?

I expect to see some pretty badass indie projects come out of this.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I knew about this before but this is just mind blowing news.

Like, just...woah.

Lord_Mordja on
  • JawaJawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This could be awesome.

Downloading now.

Jawa on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm, are they a bit worried that CryEngine 3 or Source (or hell, maybe even id tech 5) might start shaking their dominance?

This is definitely awesome, though.

Dehumanized on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, this has just blown my fucking mind and made my goddamn week.

Warcry on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Who wants to make a game?

LaCabra on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »

Hell, who doesn't, really? This seems as good a place to start as any.

Mechanical on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, time to make Freespace 3.

Who's in?

Recoil42 on
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking Velociraptor Job Interview Simulator Pro

LaCabra on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Is that a game where you play as a velociraptor interviewing for a job, or where you as a human interview for the position of velociraptor?

Either way, I'm sold.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited November 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

Is that a game where you play as a velociraptor interviewing for a job, or where you as a human interview for the position of velociraptor?

Either way, I'm sold.

designdoc.jpg

LaCabra on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The unreal engine has no antialiasing due to their specific implementation of shadowing, IIRC.

Grr.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this, though.

Suriko on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Me Me Me Me.
    If by make you mean half assedly produce something then never actualy submit it.

But really, this is fucking awesome.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited November 2009
    I can't believe we can make a game and actually legally sell it now. This is going to be a big deal.

LaCabra on
    edited November 2009
    If I actually give you those lamp models do I get moneys?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm, are they a bit worried that CryEngine 3 or Source (or hell, maybe even id tech 5) might start shaking their dominance?

This is definitely awesome, though.

I doubt they're too concerned about it.

While CryEngine 3 looks pretty impressive I'd be amazed it were as superbly optimized as the Unreal engines typically are.

And it's good to see their licensing fees are a lot more reasonable than they used to. When I was in the Air Force and we were using the unreal engine for some simulations the licensing fees were fairly high, I think it was something like $200k for a project. Luckily since we were doing a non-commercial military project they were cool with us doing it unlicensed and even helped us out now and then.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In a few months, we're going to see some awesome shit some group puts together. This is pretty fucking awesome. Releasing tools for people to develop games and mods is always good for the gaming community.

Henroid on
    edited November 2009
    I'm really impressed with the tools. I knew nothing of the Unreal engine and I've been able to import a few of my textures from my Source work and compile a map in seconds. Definitely Valve's tools are nowhere near as good as these.

LaCabra on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, the big advantage of UE3 is the toolset. It's miles above anything else I've used.

I hope to see a lot of indie stuff in the vein of Shadow Complex in the future. There are never enough Metroidvanias.

Or, heaven help us all, 3d version of Dwarf Fortress.

zilo on
    edited November 2009
    I really would love to make Velociraptor Job Interview Simulator Pro on this and get it published on Steam.

LaCabra on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Already looking at this to make a game now, since it removes the chicken/egg scenario of having to license it first before working on a game in it. Been looking at various engines now and then I guess this just kinda showed up.

Who wants to make games for money in the Omaha area?
    I kid, I have no fucking money right now, but seriously, when I do, I imagine I can find at least one local person.

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, the biggest problem with starting up game development is finding an engine that doesn't cost a million bucks. Gosh this is exciting.

LaCabra on
    edited November 2009
    Or has good tools and documentation

lookin' at you, Torque

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2009
    Source is actually the only engine I've used before this, and the tools are decent and well-supported, but I am doing so much stuff in seconds through a GUI that I used Notepad for on Source.

LaCabra on
    edited November 2009
    Well, that's because it's Source

basically Valve hasn't updated anything since 1998 in terms of putting things together

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2009
    they have updated a huge amount, in fact, it's just nowhere near UDK in terms of usability

LaCabra on
    edited November 2009
    they have updated a huge amount, in fact, it's just nowhere near UDK in terms of usability

Truth.

I mean, just look at the material editor in the UDK and Source's (i.e. notepad).

What's that you say? Source does have a material editor if you set your launch options to -tools.
    Well, just try and save those materials.

What's that you say? Source has a particle editor also? Source does have a particle editor that works*.

*But unfortunately if your map uses custom particles it breaks the standard particles (waffle fire) for all the other maps the client plays on until they restart TF2. Fantastic!

LittleBoots on

edited November 2009
    The materials and particles and commentary editors all work if it's in your own mod, but for custom content for existing multiplayer games it's not so good.

LaCabra on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd love to do something. Count me in and send me a PM. I've been looking for something to do with my 3d skills since I graduated last year. Stupid recession.

I just need to get a new mouse and get a refresher. UT3 shouldn't be that much different from UT2! ...Heh. That's what I studied in school. They switched to 3 juust after I got out.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Now I have to learn how to map and model so I can remake Deus Ex with shiny new clothes.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How extensive are the design docs for Velociraptor Job Simulator? I'd love to see that happen. In-door maps (ie. office buildings) are usually a breeze to make in the Unreal Engine.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2009
    How is mapping in UE3? I'm having a really hard time making Source maps without tearing my hair out in the process. Goddamn brush-based antiques.

Echo on
    edited November 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    How extensive are the design docs for Velociraptor Job Simulator? I'd love to see that happen. In-door maps (ie. office buildings) are usually a breeze to make in the Unreal Engine.

Fairly extensive. Definitely enough to start making a game with if we had a programmer and modeller.

LaCabra on
  • Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    are there any tutorials on using the kit?

i have an idea for a l4d + boarderlands clone

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
    edited November 2009
    I'm sure there are very many, just google UE3 tutorials

LaCabra on