As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unreal Development Kit released to everyone

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Aumni wrote: »
    Alright, when I get home I'll work on the camera, which should be quick

really?

Relatively.

What are you doing to modify the camera? Just switching to the third-person camera?

Yeah, 3rd person camera and tweak the pawn aim vector(if necessary) and that'll do until much later in the game's development.

Ok, well the default 3rd person didn't really fit my requirements, but it's relatively trivial to get working.

Well, I'm not a programmer per say, but hey!
    This is going to be very interesting

Mvrck - That is a fantastic suggestion! And thanks for humoring me :) I'll have to think about it for a bit.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wish Pixel Mine would hurry up and update nFringe for the UDK. Having to write my US in Notepad++, compile it using the front end, and not being able to debug it, is very annoying.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Damn this thing is going to eat up my time. But at least I'll learn about programming a little more!

Spent some time reading on the difference of native and simulated functions.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooottts of information to digest.

Also, any -free- or cheap IDE one can use? nFringe is out of my league. :\

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    nFringe is free? You just need to get Visual Studio 2008 Express (which is free).

The problem with nFringe is that until they update it to work with the UDK, you can't debug. You can configure it to start the UDK, and compile the scripts, but without debugging, you're missing a huge part of what makes nFringe so awesome: The ability to debug US in Visual Studio.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Office test map has a raptor and volumetric lights
    asdg.jpg

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I dunno, the volumetric lights are kind of obnoxious, unless this is set in 1962 and people still smoke in the office.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah but they're fucking volumetric, shut the fuck up

LaCabra on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I dunno, the volumetric lights are kind of obnoxious, unless this is set in 1962 and people still smoke in the office.

I think the game would be even better if it was set in 1962. Who doesn't love cigarette chomping journalists?

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Any excuse for a Velociraptor to smoke in an office is a good one.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but VJISP gets a mention in PC Powerplay for December, courtesy of Joe (whose screenname I forget ;P).

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If the raptor's disguise is glasses, he smokes, and its set in old-timey America, I'm a day one buyer of ten copies.

Sakeido on
  • Options
    KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd pictured it to be set in the office and time of Mad Men. Any other time or setting just doesn't really make sense to me.

Kiz on
    PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kiz wrote: »
    I'd pictured it to be set in the office and time of Mad Men. Any other time or setting just doesn't really make sense to me.

i think you might be following the wrong game

LaCabra on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Updated the music. Got rid of the cello, to remove the bass. Also added a large amount of reverb, to pull the sound to the background. Hope I haven't gone backwards.

http://eyelove.posterous.com/happy-office-3

foursquareman on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Much better. Only thing is, the stringed instrument gets a bit sombre at around 40 seconds and the piece stops feeling happy. Up to then, I would feel good about using this piece.

Next step: Make a HARDCORE OH SHIT THERE'S A VELOCIRAPTOR version for it to suddenly blend into when your cover's blown or you pounce a guy. The tune should be the same, though, so that it can blend in and out easily.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I have to figure out a happy chord progression, so that it doesn't sound monotonous. Will work on that and an "Freak Out" version.

foursquareman on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I still think it's a bit calm. What happens if you put in a bass line composed of quarter and eighth notes? Might give it a bit of the "drive" it seems to be lacking.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You guys also need a song that conveys the lifelong struggle between the velociraptor and water cooler.

Aumni on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    To be honest, I'd remove the strings holding up the back. It creates tension that spoils the airy nature of the song.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So I was able to take that super-minimal UTGame zip that guy made and start on my RPG engine. So far I'm still going through the original UTGame source, figuring out the "rigging" that I need to port over, to get a complete game. There is quite a bit of good stuff in UTGame, you just need to separate it from the UT specific code.

What bothers me, is that so much of UTGame seems to be implemented natively. For instance, if you look at UTPlayerInput.uc, you'll notice it's a native class, which extends another native class, contains one native function and a cpptext block. Since, I believe, native classes are implemented by name, this makes it seem almost impossible to create your own named implementation of UTPlayerInput. You would need to extend it, to get the same level of functionality.

This bothers me a little bit, because it very heavily ties you to UTGame.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So I was able to take that super-minimal UTGame zip that guy made and start on my RPG engine. So far I'm still going through the original UTGame source, figuring out the "rigging" that I need to port over, to get a complete game. There is quite a bit of good stuff in UTGame, you just need to separate it from the UT specific code.

What bothers me, is that so much of UTGame seems to be implemented natively. For instance, if you look at UTPlayerInput.uc, you'll notice it's a native class, which extends another native class, contains one native function and a cpptext block. Since, I believe, native classes are implemented by name, this makes it seem almost impossible to create your own named implementation of UTPlayerInput. You would need to extend it, to get the same level of functionality.

This is basically, I think, what the Torque guy was getting at.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And just because I'm learning about this stuff and want to think I know what I'm talking about - These native classes reference DLL files which are done in C++ and unavailable to edit for us free UDK users, right?

Aumni on
  • Options
    FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I've got an idea, I tried it in L4D's sdk and I just quit in frustration.

Basically I want to make the alamo. And I want the alamo to be rushed by zombies. I guess in this SDK i can atleast make vehicles and whatnots and expand this into a techno madmaxian w/zombies in Texas.

It would be so easy if i could just import the area from google map into unrealed.

FingerSlut on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And just because I'm learning about this stuff and want to think I know what I'm talking about - These native classes reference DLL files which are done in C++ and unavailable to edit for us free UDK users, right?

In the case of UTGame, the code is actually compiled in to UDK.exe, but yes, the idea is the same.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

This is correct.

There are, of course, 3D engines of varying quality out there that give you access to source code if you want to mess around with that stuff.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, my schedule is silly, but what it boils down to is that as soon as I'm done with my college semester, I'm going to be getting about half as many hours at work as well(which I want)

I'll use that time usefully, damnit :P

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited November 2009

This is correct.

There are, of course, 3D engines of varying quality out there that give you access to source code if you want to mess around with that stuff.

I dunno.. but the more I poke around the UnrealScript source, the more I get the impression you don't need source access to make whatever you want with UDK. I would like a lot more control over the main game loop but as it is, its workable for pretty much anything. I'm actually surprised at how well UT3 runs considering how much of the game is in a scripting language and not C

edit: I also love how every time I check the UDK Programming documentation section, there is 2-3 new articles at least

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sakeido wrote: »

This is correct.

I dunno.. but the more I poke around the UnrealScript source, the more I get the impression you don't need source access to make whatever you want with UDK. I would like a lot more control over the main game loop but as it is, its workable for pretty much anything. I'm actually surprised at how well UT3 runs considering how much of the game is in a scripting language and not C

edit: I also love how every time I check the UDK Programming documentation section, there is 2-3 new articles at least

The issue is, that to do anything substantial, you will need to extend and use UTGame, because so much of it is native. Even Whizzle, which is not a first person game at all, packages and references UTGame heavily. This means you end up fighting the UTGame system to make whatever game it is you want. For instance, take a look at UTPawn some time. There is a ton of UT specific stuff in there that I couldn't care less about for an RPG, or a puzzle game. It's a terrible amount of bloat.

Yet, you can't re-implement a large portion of those classes because they are native.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You know, after looking at the Whizzle source, I am actually a little more excited. They actually use very, very little UTGame functionality, all things considered. They actually extend a lot of the core Engine classes, like PlayerInput and GameInfo. They completely skipped the GameFramework and UTGame stuff, and just extended raw engine classes.

I feel much better now, and this is much more promising.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks Gnome and NotACrook
    Another newbie programming question:

Simulated Functions are more for Network related things? I love/hate getting into things like that because I have a zillion questions all while processing a zillion things at the same time.

At least I got the camera to work in Editor and in Game. Yay

Aumni on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The issue is, that to do anything substantial, you will need to extend and use UTGame, because so much of it is native. Even Whizzle, which is not a first person game at all, packages and references UTGame heavily. This means you end up fighting the UTGame system to make whatever game it is you want. For instance, take a look at UTPawn some time. There is a ton of UT specific stuff in there that I couldn't care less about for an RPG, or a puzzle game. It's a terrible amount of bloat.

Yet, you can't re-implement a large portion of those classes because they are native.

It could be more elegant sure, but from what I saw you could easily delete huge portions of those files or re-purpose some of the functions to do something else. There is another set of UC files in a different directory I haven't looked at that supposedly have a more bare bones set of functions, and the UTGame is extending those.. I know there is one for Pawn at least

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    FYI - pretty cool set of tutorials added to the UDN programming page
    Mastering Unreal Script
    part 1 http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MasteringUnrealScriptBaptismByFire.html
    part 2 http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MasteringUnrealScriptClasses.html
    part 3 http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MasteringUnrealScriptFunctions.html

things I wish Unreal Ed had: CUDA support for lightmass baking

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    FYI - pretty cool set of tutorials added to the UDN programming page
    Mastering Unreal Script
    part 1 http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MasteringUnrealScriptBaptismByFire.html
    part 2 http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MasteringUnrealScriptClasses.html
    part 3 http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MasteringUnrealScriptFunctions.html

things I wish Unreal Ed had: CUDA support for lightmass baking

I'd prefer DirectCompute or OpenCL support for that, so it worked on ATI cards as well :P

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It could be more elegant sure, but from what I saw you could easily delete huge portions of those files or re-purpose some of the functions to do something else. There is another set of UC files in a different directory I haven't looked at that supposedly have a more bare bones set of functions, and the UTGame is extending those.. I know there is one for Pawn at least

That base set of functions you are talking about is the 'Engine' package. If you look in Development/Src/Engine, you'll see it. That is the absolute bare minimum set of functionality for the engine to work. If you look at the Whizzle source (which I highly recommend, as it's a great example of how to do a complete game in the UDK), you'll see most of their classes extend from classes in the Engine package.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    All of my work so far has been extending dev/src/engine. I fall back on UTGame components for testing stuff from time to time, but I found that I am happier and less confused building up from scratch instead of trying to decode how UTGame is doing it.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    All of my work so far has been extending dev/src/engine. I fall back on UTGame components for testing stuff from time to time, but I found that I am happier and less confused building up from scratch instead of trying to decode how UTGame is doing it.

Agreed. Which is why I am glad I looked at Whizzle, because it gave me the confidence it could be done.

I am excited to go home tonight and use the wildicv tutorials to setup nFringe and get to coding. My goal is to have an NPC actor and a player actor able to make basic combat attacks against each other very soon.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Agreed. Which is why I am glad I looked at Whizzle, because it gave me the confidence it could be done.

I am excited to go home tonight and use the wildicv tutorials to setup nFringe and get to coding. My goal is to have an NPC actor and a player actor able to make basic combat attacks against each other very soon.

Still no debugging, right?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nope, still no debugging, but you can use 'log() and the development console to do 1985 style PRINT debugging.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nother question I have;

When I added my scripts and changed some things and ran the UDK editor I would get a little cmd prompt type thing that would go through my scripts and validate em - at first it found a few errors but they were resolved after a few minutes. I opened up the Unreal Frontend and ran the 'Make' deal, but it was doing the packages, not the scripts.

How can I get that script checker thing to run again?

Aumni on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If your scripts are part of the package that is set as the "EditorPackage" in one of the ini files, it will re-build them every time they change and you start the editor. If you're using nFringe, you can also force them to build from inside Visual Studio with the basic "Build Solution" menu option.

GnomeTank on