As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Free MMO Überlist

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    they be banning like 100 per hour on the other two servers but garnet was made yesterday and apparently has no mod support :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This game worth wasting time with till Rusty Hearts?

Also, still have, I think, 3 more Rusty Hearts keys.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I feel I have chosen the path of pain by deciding to go build a Templar(Warrior FIFTY, Cleric 55 I think).

But to hell with it imma TANK

Note that the max level right now is only 50, so if your path isn't painful enough you'll be stuck for awhile.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So the EE UI is really bothering me. You guys manage to get past it? I guess I need to read more, because just one level into it the skill system confused me.

Dronus86 on
    Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dronus86 wrote: »
    So the EE UI is really bothering me. You guys manage to get past it? I guess I need to read more, because just one level into it the skill system confused me.

The skill system works like this:

All skills ("regular" and Class) are unlocked by gaining an appropriate number of levels in that class.

Regular skills, in the Reg tab, can be leveled up to your character level if you've got the money to do it, regardless of your level in that specific class. This means that if you're character-level 50, you can easily raise a class from 1-50 on exclusively level 50 mobs.

Class skills can only be leveled up to your level in that class, and cost Class Points which are gained like XP when killing mobs. Once you've caught up your existing skills, you'll get more than enough CP to keep them current, though it might take a couple levels worth of CP to catch up a brand new skill.

Also unlocked by leveling a class are its special passive bonuses (Certificates). Based on your character level, you can equip a certain number of these at any one time, and they are not limited by the class you happen to be playing at any given moment. That is, you could play a Cleric to level 10, get the +10% WIS passive, and keep its benefit when playing as a Magician. Apparently, once you can equip enough of them, doing so in the right combinations will grant extra bonuses.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    the gold square in the middle of four cert boxes determines if they're linked. the clot in the very middle can be used twice this way. all combos are via color. same colors combine to give a bonus

2x : +2% related stat (tank str, melee ?, ranged ?, magic int, healing wis)
    3x : +10% effective to your two base skills (the single target and teh aoe your tree gets, cleric is heal and the aoe)
    4x : tank is +50% shield def, +5%?, ranged is +10% 2hand atk, healer is +15% healing or something I forget

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Fallen Earth was pretty good as an MMO. It did way better than anyone expected at launch, but I imagine it was far too niche to stay afloat for a lengthy amount of time. I never really got to fully immerse myself in the game thanks to my friends' eagerness to flush money down the toilet. One never got out of the starter zone, and the other never even loaded the damn game.

But seriously, Fallen Earth is the game for crafters.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Fallen Earth was pretty good as an MMO. It did way better than anyone expected at launch, but I imagine it was far too niche to stay afloat for a lengthy amount of time. I never really got to fully immerse myself in the game thanks to my friends' eagerness to flush money down the toilet. One never got out of the starter zone, and the other never even loaded the damn game.

But seriously, Fallen Earth is the game for crafters.
    Your friends suck.

I've seen some screenies in the appropriate thread, it seems to me the game is going to be full of gun nuts and survival doomsayers. (so basically the same crowd as the No Mutants Allowed Fallout forums)

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    transporter, i'm only playing on garnet until level 30 then leaving it

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eden Eternal is pretty cool. I'm liking it more than the other WoW Clone F2P MMOs. I'm Craetor on Garnet, send me a tell and we can friend up, do some stuff. I'm building a tank primarily, will eventually branch off into melee dps characters.

At least, that's what I think I'm doing. :P I'm assuming it's pretty typical in terms of gameplay design.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I get compliments on my healing a lot now. What they probably don't know is that clerics have 2 buttons to heal early on. One is a big heal, the other is a HoT. I just use the big heals on the tank and top off the other guy and pets with the HoT.

It works, everyone is happy, I'm having fun.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    I get compliments on my healing a lot now. What they probably don't know is that clerics have 2 buttons to heal early on. One is a big heal, the other is a HoT. I just use the big heals on the tank and top off the other guy and pets with the HoT.

Since the HoT stacks 5 times, and each recast refreshes the entire stack, I find it to be more economical to use as a main heal than the one-shot spell. Maybe the single heal gets better in upper levels.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    The Dragon Nest closed beta runs this week and started yesterday. I'll take some screencaps and post some impressions when the servers go up later today.

It's very similar to vindictus' sort of arcadey smashy combat, and looks like it will be a blast to play with PA people.

I hope they get into open before long. After watching a couple videos it looks really cool.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    transporter, i'm only playing on garnet until level 30 then leaving it

I have made a character on every server.

YOU CANNOT HIDE FROM ME, THE DEMON IS INSIDE OF YOU!

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Since the HoT stacks 5 times, and each recast refreshes the entire stack, I find it to be more economical to use as a main heal than the one-shot spell. Maybe the single heal gets better in upper levels.

Aldo and Fartacus you are now my personal healers. NEVER LEAVE MY SIDE.

It's kind of funny how pretty much everyone is bad at everything. Reminds me of ye olden days of early FFXI.

Transporter on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    eden eternal looks neat, and it sounds from the multiclassing description that you'll only ever need one character, so sign me up. Finally a game where I don't have to make a bunch of characters to try out every class.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i love that dungeons are 3 mans. less chance of stupidity that way and more possible for one person to save the day as the other two constantly fuck up

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Eden Eternal isn't letting my Logitech Setpoint settings through! :( I can't use all my extra mouse buttons. I needz them!

EDIT: Oh, weird. It worked when I ran the Setpoint software as admin.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    hm kinda like how vent needs admin to work while it's in the background. was gonna say my razor mouse witth the 12 buttons works

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    tenkaristenkaris Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Earth and Beyond was a sweet space MMO made by Westwood right before EA bought them and then killed the project.

Anyway, there's now an emulator project for it at http://net-7.org where you can play it for free. It doesn't really hold up 100% by today's standards but it's always been one of my favorite games so I was able to get into it all over again. Thought it might make a good addition to the list in this thread.

edit: and if any of you get into it feel free to contact me, I have one of the better builder characters in the game currently

tenkaris on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i think i remember a few in vent raving about it. if I remember I'll mention it to them next time they're online

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    tenkaris wrote: »
    Earth and Beyond was a sweet space MMO made by Westwood right before EA bought them and then killed the project.

Anyway, there's now an emulator project for it at http://net-7.org where you can play it for free. It doesn't really hold up 100% by today's standards but it's always been one of my favorite games so I was able to get into it all over again. Thought it might make a good addition to the list in this thread.
    How legal is that? I'm going to assume EA owns the intellectual property, but have they given their blessings to this project? I tend to not list stuff that's risking shut-down all the time, otherwise I would have listed the free RO servers half a decade ago.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't know about EA condoning it, but I know that they've been around for years now, as I was a huge Earth & Beyond fan when it came out, beta tested it and watched it quickly fail upon release. Was so happy when the net7 project started.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, cool stuff!

I was a big fan of EnB when I got to play the beta. It was a shame it went under so quick, but that's great to see a community project that actually has made progress.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    OK, I listed it under Shooters.
    Earth & Beyond
    This private server is all that remains of the glorious Earth & Beyond. It's a space MMO with real time combat focusing on space battles and trading. The original game never came out of beta, despite a big fanbase. Some of the biggest fans have now started a private server and have been hosting the game for a while now. It seems EA Games isn't interested in shutting them down.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Neat thing to note is as an Explorer, (or any class actually), you *gasp* get experience for exploring areas!

There is also mining but I never really found it all that fun.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Eden Eternal is pretty polished for a F2P MMO from Aeria. Class balance isn't immediately obvious, though, if it's there. My Cleric makes a slightly better tank than my tank.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Have we got a thread going for Rusty Hearts? Just got a Beta Key and have 2 more to share.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Eden Eternal is pretty polished for a F2P MMO from Aeria. Class balance isn't immediately obvious, though, if it's there. My Cleric makes a slightly better tank than my tank.

Out in the world? Yeah, cleric's completely NUTS when it comes to tanking and killing multiple mobs.

But in instances, even with some of the armor certs from warrior they are quite squishy.

Not as squishy as a thief, attempting to tank two bosses squishy, but squishy enough that they can't tank an instance.

Also Eden Eternal is jawdroppingly good so far.

Only the Aeria games tag reminds me of it's potential to be driven into the ground.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, Atlantica Online. I tried it out on a private server and it's pretty fun. Was there ever any discussion of it in this thread? Google says no, but maybe I missed it.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Atlantica was quite the rage a year or two ago, I think it had its own thread if I remember correctly.

It was pretty cool, very unique take on MMO, got pretty grindy later on though.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, Atlantica Online. I tried it out on a private server and it's pretty fun. Was there ever any discussion of it in this thread? Google says no, but maybe I missed it.
    I made a separate thread for it at the time. I believe my thread title involved something along the lines of "it's as good as sex".

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I made a separate thread for it at the time. I believe my thread title involved something along the lines of "it's as good as sex".

Maybe it was the otters with swords strapped to their backs. Those were pretty awesome. Of course, it's clear that making the game as good as sex was on the developers' minds, since a disturbingly large proportion of mobs in this game have jiggle-enabled "assets".

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Didn't they recently remove some annoying stamina system or something from atlantica?

Maybe I should re-install that again.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    Didn't they recently remove some annoying stamina system or something from atlantica?

Last I checked yes, Though be warned the game is fun for awhile the Cash Shop and Game Economy are completely messed up.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

Last I checked yes, Though be warned the game is fun for awhile the Cash Shop and Game Economy are completely messed up.

I play on a private server using a slightly older client. It still has Stamina, but it's 1000 Stamina per day (-1 stam per battle, good luck using more than 200/day). The economy seems alright, and the cash shop items are surprisingly unattractive, but I'm pretty low level right now.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I play on a private server using a slightly older client. It still has Stamina, but it's 1000 Stamina per day (-1 stam per battle, good luck using more than 200/day). The economy seems alright, and the cash shop items are surprisingly unattractive, but I'm pretty low level right now.
    The issues only really show up in later levels, the main issue with economy is to make money you have to already have money. Namely whenever the latest greatest thing gets added it is a money machine. Not for long as eventually the rewards are nerfed hard. But not before the highest levels with the best gear have taken advantage.
    The rich get richer faster. This has caused massive inflation several times jacking costs for common items.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

The issues only really show up in later levels, the main issue with economy is to make money you have to already have money. Namely whenever the latest greatest thing gets added it is a money machine. Not for long as eventually the rewards are nerfed hard. But not before the highest levels with the best gear have taken advantage.
    The rich get richer faster. This has caused massive inflation several times jacking costs for common items.

Heh, sounds like almost every MMO in existence. Still, there's a reasonable supply of Champion summon items for like 120m, which is way beyond my current means but not-at-all unreasonable.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I downloaded Eden Eternal as it looked pretty cool, but...well, let me just copy-paste what I said on their suggestions forum:
    I wrote:
    I looked at screenshots, watched a youtube video, and downloaded the game as it seemed very interesting. I make my character, I log in, I peruse the settings, and that's when it always hits me when I try out a new game.

I look at the nice graphics in the beginning area and all the interesting mechanics of the game before I wave good-bye to it all without even casting my first spell. I quit and subsequently uninstall the game as it does not have an invert mouse option, and so I cannot play it.

I have played FPS games with invert mouse since Quake, and I'm not about to change over a decade of experience around because the developers are apparently unaware there are people who think that when you tilt your head back (i.e., down), you should be looking up. For others, you move the mouse up and the camera goes up. This makes sense, too, if that's what you feel is right.

It saddens me that this is the exact same scenario that has played out for maybe half the free-to-play games that I have downloaded, because every single time I download something to try it, the idea that the option isn't in the game is so mind bogglingly outlandish to me that the thought doesn't even graze my forehead until I'm looking at the options menu.

Until the option is in the game, Eden Eternal unfortunately won't be on my hard drive.

Oh, and in case someone attempts to start a debate on something as subjective as this: let it be known that I am not stating anything about which way is better or anything of the sort; I don't care if you play without invert, with a trackball, or if you steer your camera by swinging your mouse in the air by the cord in intricate motions like some kind of ninja fire dancer. All I'm asking for is the option to invert your mouse, and this should in no way affect your playing.

Paragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What PR won't tell you: You're the only person who gives a fuck about this stuff, the rest of the world is capable of operating the camera differently in different games. Most people are perfectly fine switching between gamepads, Wii-motes and KB+M and will judge games by their actual merits and not by something this irrelevant.

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.