As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Web Connection randomly timing out

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
OK so I have Comcast, use their modem, and run it through my netgear wgr614v2 wireless router. It's currently wired.

For the last 4 or 5 days randomly my connection will time out for no reason. This happens maybe every 3 hours or so. I'll be browsing and suddenly both browsers (IE and Firefox) will just halt. So I hop into command prompt and ping these websites, and all websites that I try time out during this period. I can actually watch my connection come back if I keep pinging; eventually it will start getting responses right before my eyes.

I've tried resetting both my modem and my router, and changing physical ports and cables with my router as well. I've generally had a good experience with Comcast for the 2 years I've had it, certainly nothing like random drops every day.

Any ideas on whats going on?

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am in Colorado, use Comcast, and have had the same issues for almost two years at all five houses/apartments that I have lived in.

I am also paying for their premium service (like 7mbps up, 30mbps down), and almost never get anything near those speeds.

In short, their service is inconsistent and aggravating. The past few days my connection hasn't cut out or anything loading videos, which is a first. My only recommendation is to switch companies.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's pretty much what I had feared. The weather in Portland has been pretty shitty lately but I doubt that has much to do with it.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's pretty much what I had feared. The weather in Portland has been pretty shitty lately but I doubt that has much to do with it.
    Kinda funny - when I was in the city of Gangtok in Sikkim, India, anytime lightning struck the ground during a storm the internet would go out.

Of course, nothing like this would happen in Portland, but just thought I'd share.

Anyways, yea, Comcast is terrible. If you have other options that aren't terribly slow, go for them.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    EvocatiEvocati Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Daemonion wrote: »
    I am in Colorado, use Comcast, and have had the same issues for almost two years at all five houses/apartments that I have lived in.

I am also paying for their premium service (like 7mbps up, 30mbps down), and almost never get anything near those speeds.

In short, their service is inconsistent and aggravating. The past few days my connection hasn't cut out or anything loading videos, which is a first. My only recommendation is to switch companies.

Same experience while living here.

On a related note, try changing your wireless channels. It may be that there is a lot of traffic on the one you are using, and sometimes that can drop your connection. Turning off auto-channel and dynamic turbo may help as well.

Evocati on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Worth a try, we just got new neighbors. I'll try to see if they have a network that is conflicting with mine.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    locopostallocopostal Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i've been running into this same problem the last week or so, using CableOne, except mine start timing out every 10 minutes or so, for about 30 seconds to a minute, before I start getting responses again. Odd because I never lose connection in hour+ long gaming sessions. I'm also on a wired connection.

locopostal on
  • Options
    bunkzillabunkzilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    a squirrel has chewed into your hardwire outside. Call comcast or whoever and have them come check it out, you'll be surprised to see what the condition of the hard lines outside are like.

with all the weather and everything they should be replaced pretty regularly anyways. but seriously, it was a squirrel.

bunkzilla on
    kirbyeatcrop.jpg
    phillida bunkle 4 prez
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do you torrent?

I have comcast and I was using a modem they provided, but the modem firmware could not handle multiple simultaneous connections and it would just stop working for awhile. I don't know if comcast purposefully does this with modems(my previous cable modem from comcast did not have this problem).

Anyway I went a bought my own cable modem. Problem solved.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    locopostallocopostal Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i did buy my own, but its the same brand that cableone rents out. are there other, better modems i should look at? its a motorola surfboard something or other i think.

locopostal on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'd be curious to get recommendations on non-rental modems, as well.

Daemonion on