As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Build Thread: OP temporarily with up to date sample builds!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this, but can anyone help me find a download link for the latest (10.2 I think is the version) ATi x1600 drivers, Windows XP? The ATi site only has it available as a Catalyst Suite download, wich is 70+ MB and I'm not exactly going to download that on dialup. I just need the driver update.

Henroid on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some NewEgg promos of note:

$10 off the XFX 5770 in the bang-for-the-buck build. (Esp. @Capncrunch7)

Price drop on the the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 motherboard ($80 after $10 MIR), recommended by Alecthar for bang-for-the-buck AMD builds.

Price drop on Kingston 128GB SSD to $240 - below $2 per GB.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    blargh... I hate rebates where they just give you the debit card (at least the Gigabyte rebate for $10 comes on a card). Just give me mah money yo!

Dedian on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey quick question for you guys.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-330M.22437.0.html - The new graphics in the MBP.

If I'm reading the comparisons right, it looks like that may be about equivalent in power to a desktop 7900GT. Is that accurate? Anyone know what the performance is on the GT330M in either 256 or 512?

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I think I just realized my case has an overheating problem (by overheating, I mean it's turned into the sun).

Temps from Speedfan:
    GPU: 65C
    Temp1 (CPU I believe): 42C
    HD1: 52C
    HD2: 51C
    HD0 (WD 1TB Black): 55C

I have a 80mm fan sucking air in the front bottom of the case, and another 80mm blowing hot out the back. There's not really any place to put a fan that it'll blow across the drives, but I think that'll be fixed when I take two of the three drives out (they're right over eachother right now). My PSU has a 120mm or whatever, and I don't have any of the fans not running at 100%. I think another problem might also be that my video card is long enough so there's really only a few inches (2" maybe) between it and the hard drive bays. Once I remove the other two drives, I think I'll put the remaining one highest up, so there's a little more room for flow...

Dedian on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's not that hot.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    CPU and GPU look ok, but I was mostly worried about the drives. Of course, this won't be a permanent setup, so hopefully it'll get better. I had read about the WD idling in the 30's on some random board

Dedian on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Remember that SpeedFan doesn't calculate Core 2 TJunction correctly, so your temps will be off by as much as 10 degrees sometimes. CoreTemp is the only program I know that correctly calculates TJunction.

(Disclaimer: This was true the last time I used SpeedFan, they may have updated it at some point).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If those hard drive readings are accurate, they're a wee bit on the warm side. Like you said, maybe removing two of them will help.

Fats on
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    has anyone used Thermaltake's PSU calculator? Is it fairly accurate?

http://thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

krush on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So a few weeks ago I went about upgrading my old Dell computer. I was originally gonna do some minor upgrades but it all spiraled out of control somehow and now my computer stopped working. I'd appreciate any advice:
    So I bought:

RAM - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Video Card - GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
    Motherboard - BIOSTAR T5 XE LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX
    CPU - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
    A new Antec case

And added in my:
    80GB Harddrive that came with my Dell Dimension
    500W Antec Power Supply that I bought maybe 3-4 years ago when the original one died
    DVD-ROM drive I bought a few years back when the old one crapped out

I installed everything and did a Windows repair install and everything was working smoothly until a few days ago. I shut down the computer for the night and the next day it wouldn't turn on. It doesn't look like any power is getting to the computer. Pressing the button on the front does nothing, pressing the power switch on the motherboard does nothing. I tried switching the cables on the PSU and the sockets on my surge protector are working. The only thing that happens is that when I flip the switch on the PSU, the CPU fan rotates like twice. Nothing else happens, no lights, no whirring fans, no beeps or anything.

1) I'm hoping the power supply is just conked out but is there anything else that could have done this?

2) And if it is the power supply, is 500W ok to handle what I've installed or should I get a more powerful one?

(Thanks for any help and if there's a better thread for my question I'd appreciate being pointed in that direction)

Edit: Well I feel like an ass because right after I posted this I try my computer and for some reason it turns on now. Maybe a wire was loose? Although I had tried and re-tried all the connections. Whatever, I guess we can just all marvel at my sweet rig now. I'm thinking about adding a 650GB SATA drive and upgrading to Windows 7. I guess I should upgrade the UPS anyway at this point

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had that horrific windows not refreshing thing just now, did a system restore and gone though, so damn lucky for me.

Johannen on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My machine intermittenly turns on, with the same power supply. I ordered a new 550. I haven't installed it yet because i haven't turned off my pc, but I am sure I will need to put in the new psu.
    Ubik wrote: »
    So a few weeks ago I went about upgrading my old Dell computer. I was originally gonna do some minor upgrades but it all spiraled out of control somehow and now my computer stopped working. I'd appreciate any advice:
    So I bought:

RAM - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Video Card - GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
    Motherboard - BIOSTAR T5 XE LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX
    CPU - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
    A new Antec case

And added in my:
    80GB Harddrive that came with my Dell Dimension
    500W Antec Power Supply that I bought maybe 3-4 years ago when the original one died
    DVD-ROM drive I bought a few years back when the old one crapped out

I installed everything and did a Windows repair install and everything was working smoothly until a few days ago. I shut down the computer for the night and the next day it wouldn't turn on. It doesn't look like any power is getting to the computer. Pressing the button on the front does nothing, pressing the power switch on the motherboard does nothing. I tried switching the cables on the PSU and the sockets on my surge protector are working. The only thing that happens is that when I flip the switch on the PSU, the CPU fan rotates like twice. Nothing else happens, no lights, no whirring fans, no beeps or anything.

1) I'm hoping the power supply is just conked out but is there anything else that could have done this?

2) And if it is the power supply, is 500W ok to handle what I've installed or should I get a more powerful one?

(Thanks for any help and if there's a better thread for my question I'd appreciate being pointed in that direction)

Edit: Well I feel like an ass because right after I posted this I try my computer and for some reason it turns on now. Maybe a wire was loose? Although I had tried and re-tried all the connections. Whatever, I guess we can just all marvel at my sweet rig now. I'm thinking about adding a 650GB SATA drive and upgrading to Windows 7. I guess I should upgrade the UPS anyway at this point

streever on
  • Options
    PostPost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have been looking into getting a new computer for a while now. Basically want to have somthing powerful enough to play Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 at 1920x1080.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50152&vpn=Entre-Q620&manufacture=NCIXPC

I found this deal? Is this a good price? I see the parts are a bit outdated (DDR2 RAM).
    However you can put a 5770 in there for around 180 dollars more (probably less now). So the total price of the system would be less then 800 dollars before tax. Or would I be better off just creating an I5-750 build with a 5850 and paying almost about 500 dollars more?

(prices in canadian)

Post on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oooooo....k.... I just had the blue screen of death and now everything seems to be fine....

Johannen on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Johannen wrote: »
    Oooooo....k.... I just had the blue screen of death and now everything seems to be fine....

Vista?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just put all my new stuff together. Veerrrry fast. However, apparently the retail AMD Phenom II fan is related to a jet engine. Seriously... going to have to replace the fan or the whole thing, it's just so loud! The only time I thought it was tolerable (and this is with the case completely closed) was when I was setting up the BIOS... :(

Dedian on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You might double check to make sure the fan is connected properly, it sounds like it may be running at 100% for no good reason.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Smart CPU fan does adjust the speed according to CPU load/temp/whatever, so I'm thinking it's connected properly. Also, I've turned off Smart CPU fan and it's definitely slower than 100% normally, but still very loud. (and also a common complaint from at least newegg's review on the retail package)

Edit: without Smart CPU fan speed I can definitely tell that the fan is adjusted down. I don't know that I've heard it actually hit around 100%, but the overall volume coming from the fan is so much louder than I had with my previous proc

Dedian on
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm planning a computer and I was wondering how much it matters that my memory sticks do not appear on the list of compatible memory sticks on the motherboard maker's website. I'm thinking of getting Corsair memory and an Asus MB, which are apparently both mainstream brands, so I'd have thought that they'd play well together. The memory is DDR3 and the MB is compatible with DDR3, so they're compatible in that sense at least. They'd probably work... right? I'm pretty sure I could return the memory if it didn't.

Also, I worked it out, and if I get a case from New Egg the shipping jumps up by $35, so that's something I'll want to get locally.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think the "compatible" list just means they've tested those sticks in that board and guarantee that they'll work at top speed/etc... I played it safe with my new build and the sticks I got were on the compatibility list, but I bet quite a few non-crappy-manufacturer's sticks would work just as well.

Speaking of cases, I think I'm going to need a new one soon. The excessive fan sound from my new phenom II (an independent source, my fiance, remarked "Oh... I thought you were playing a flying game in here") was definitely helped by taking the side off the case. Now... I'm ok with just leaving it like that, but it'd be nice to be able to close it back up. When it's closed, the CPU fan starts racing, and everything gets pretty hot. I know both front intake and back exhaust fans are working (80mm fans), so there's got to be some other ventilation issue. The holes on the front of the case are pretty tiny, but even with the front off the floor (there's a gap between the bezel and the actual case), the temps were really high. I can't tell how fast the fans are going, though, since they're not the kind with the speed control wire thingy..

Another thing is it's annoying the Gigabyte board I got doesn't have a fan connector close to the exhaust fan (right under my PSU in my case). I have to stretch a cable waaaay over to one of the two system fan headers on the drive-bay side of the mobo.

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    WD Caviar Black 640GB from the bang-for-the-buck build is $10 off (to $65, free shipping) on NewEgg w/ newsletter promo code EMCYRZS32 through 4/21.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    WD Caviar Black 640GB from the bang-for-the-buck build is $10 off (to $65, free shipping) on NewEgg w/ newsletter promo code EMCYRZS32 through 4/21.

Sweet. That's exactly the HD I have on my wishlist.

Is getting a new HD a good time to upgrade to Windows 7?

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2010

yea, especially if you game. 7 can take advantage of a 64 bit processor better than XP/whatever, and you'll get all the latest & greatest Direct x.

Also, 7 is awesome. Literally inspiring awe.

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    streever wrote: »

yea, especially if you game. 7 can take advantage of a 64 bit processor better than XP/whatever, and you'll get all the latest & greatest Direct x.

Ya I found out that my 4 GB of RAM is only counting as 3 GB because I don't have a 64-bit version of windows

And I have a Core i7 so it makes sense to upgrade

Upgrade time, here we go!

I think I'm gonna turn my current 80GB HD into an external drive

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2010
    streever wrote: »

Ya I found out that my 4 GB of RAM is only counting as 3 GB because I don't have a 64-bit version of windows

And I have a Core i7 so it makes sense to upgrade

Upgrade time, here we go!

I think I'm gonna turn my current 80GB HD into an external drive

ALSO an awesome idea. You're totally in sync with what's cool today. I'd buy a cheap enclosure and you are set.

streever on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    can anyone recomend a decent enclosure that doesn't suck? i had picked one up at frys a while back and if you look at it funny it stops recognizing the connection and you get a disconnect error. it made cloning my HDD to my new one fun.

i need one for a 2.5" drive

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoom182Spoom182 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm in the market for a new hard drive right now, and there's a pretty sweet looking deal on newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145287&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL041510&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL041510-_-EMC-041510-Index-_-HardDrives-_-22145287-L0B

Now, I was just wondering why this drive is substantially less than the one in the OP, despite having the same size, interface, and cache size. Is it because it's a Hitachi drive as opposed to a more well-known brand like Western Digital? If so, does that indicate that it might be less reliable? It's been a while since I needed a new hard drive so I'm a bit out of the loop. Thanks.

Spoom182 on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As far as I know, the only real difference is in the failure rates. Western Digital makes great hardware with a very small percentage of faulty drives. I have no experience with Hitachi hardware, but I have never heard anything bad about them either.

The way I see it, just go for the cheaper one because of Newegg's great return policy.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have never had any problems with any hitachi drive I've ever used.

plus, they released this video when perpendicular drive tech first came out.

Which is a real :^: in my book.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So... I definitely need a new case. However, looking through the comments on some of the Antec cases on newegg makes me a little worried about quality. The case I have now is Antec, and I'm pretty sure I've used it as my main case for like 10 years :D I like the idea of the 900's design with huge fans blowing straight through to the back of the case, but I've read all sorts of bad things about fans coming broken, not working, etc. I also don't want my computer room to look like a rave, so I'd also like to avoid LED's if possible. The case I have now, I'm pretty sure I could stand on it and not have it bend, I'm looking for that sort of durability... am I looking at the wrong manufacturer, or are all cases made today sort of crappy? I'm not looking to spend a lot, but I'm assuming I'll have to spend more than $100 on it...

Edit: My fiance is probably not going to let me get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163162&cm_re=silverstone_FT02-_-11-163-162-_-Product

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I was about to get windows 7 pro student for 64 bucks... and..

* I agree to Digital River’s Terms of Sale and that my personal information will be transferred to the Digital River and Microsoft groups in the United States or other countries that may have less protective data protection laws than the region in which I am situated. Additionally, I agree to Microsoft’s Terms of the Promotion as set forth below.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ok my HD and Windows 7 just came in the mail. If I'm going to install these, can I just shut down my comp, take out my old drive, put in the new drive and then boot from the Windows 7 CD?

Or do I have to like, install the new drive first and make sure the computer recognizes it and then restart and install Windows 7 on it?

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Dedian wrote: »
    So... I definitely need a new case. However, looking through the comments on some of the Antec cases on newegg makes me a little worried about quality. The case I have now is Antec, and I'm pretty sure I've used it as my main case for like 10 years :D I like the idea of the 900's design with huge fans blowing straight through to the back of the case, but I've read all sorts of bad things about fans coming broken, not working, etc. I also don't want my computer room to look like a rave, so I'd also like to avoid LED's if possible. The case I have now, I'm pretty sure I could stand on it and not have it bend, I'm looking for that sort of durability... am I looking at the wrong manufacturer, or are all cases made today sort of crappy? I'm not looking to spend a lot, but I'm assuming I'll have to spend more than $100 on it...

Edit: My fiance is probably not going to let me get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163162&cm_re=silverstone_FT02-_-11-163-162-_-Product

NewEgg has an April $10 off regular price (so $110 w/ shipping) for the Lian Li Lancool K62.

Not that I have the first fucking clue what I'm talking about. I just think the case is dreeeeeamy.

So pretty...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dedian wrote: »

NewEgg has an April $10 off regular price (so $110 w/ shipping) for the Lian Li Lancool K62.

Not that I have the first fucking clue what I'm talking about. I just think the case is dreeeeeamy.

So pretty...

That is the most bad ass case I have ever seen. I never dream that wires could be out of the way like that.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok my HD and Windows 7 just came in the mail. If I'm going to install these, can I just shut down my comp, take out my old drive, put in the new drive and then boot from the Windows 7 CD?

Yep.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Would you guys install windows 7 on an old 36gig WD raptor 10krpm?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »

I'd install it on my toaster if I could :)

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »

I use a 50GB partition for Windows and applications, but it's nowhere near full. You should be fine with 36GB.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i have my win 7 on a 30gb SSD. its just about full and i wish it was a little bit bigger but it wrks

mts on
    camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.