As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to hook an older computer up to wireless

RialeRiale I'm a little slowRegistered User regular
I'm trying to get an old computer (this model specifically) hooked up to a wireless router at a friend's house and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I don't have much experience with the various wireless options so I'm not sure what's the most stable and cost effective.

The way I see it, I can either get a PCI wireless card to shove in one of the four PCI slots, or get one of those USB dongles that will pick up the wireless signal. I'm not sure which is faster/cheaper/more stable. This computer will be used for some online gaming, so strength of signal is definitely an issue. Can anyone advise?

33c9nxz.gif
Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
Riale on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You could always pick up an old router and make it into a wireless bridge using Tomato and the like.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PCI is usually cheaper, but I've had alot of problems with cheaper models of it. Friend of mine used USB ones, and tends to go for cheaper ones, but he seems to need to replace them every year or so, because they seem to stop working.

Basically what I'm saying is buy something that is good quality, rather than no-name cheap crap, if you want it to last more than a year. Other than that it doesnt really matter what you go for.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been using a linksys PCI card in one of my desktops for a while with no complaints really. The latency on it is not great and you said gaming is the main purpose so that is a consideration.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Assuming your friends computer is already connected wirelessly and you can put your PC semi-close to his you can just get a Cat5E Crossover network cable and link your 2 PC's and share his wireless connection. May not even need a crossover cable, that's just what I use so know it works.

Edit: Assuming you have an ethernet port on both, of course. Figured your Dell would, but not seeing it listed...

Xeddicus on