As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Call of [Chat]hulu

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    god my job is like top tier

weekend shit tier, my fish died :C

Donnnyyyyy....

Kochikens on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think today I'll try something completely different for drawing. I know I've mentioned a number of times that I like to switch things up whenever I can. Usually when I'm in a slump, which is 95% of the time.

Today I think I'll try drawing with a very thin line, and as messy as possible.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Like me.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get whatever suits your needs the best at a price you find acceptable. Don't base your decision on peer pressure and spend a lot more money if all you'll really get for it is a shinier case.

Though this is coming from someone who still uses the Windows Classic theme in XP, so I guess I don't attach much monetary value to the visual slickness of a UI.

Also: COME ON, UPS MAN! I'M FUCKING READY FOR YOU THIS TIME, YOU ASS.

I did contractor work UPS once, you should take that infonotice they left the first time, flip it around and fill out all the stuff on it, then just leave it on your door, and this time the UPS guy can actually deliver your package using that infonotice (dont do this if you live in the first floor of a hallway in an appartment complex though)

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Natri wrote: »
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Give in to peer pressure, Natri. Everyone is doing it.

Haha, that's some nasty advice.

The thing is, I'm not sure if I will be able to work on a 13" laptop, since it will be used for graphics work.

My wife got the 15" version. I tried it out last night with my "Large" Intuos4 tablet, and it worked fine for drawing a comic, if that helps at all.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think I would kill for a really sweet set of speakers for my computer. I'm not very fond of this cheap pair of Altec Lansings, with the sub woofer that constantly buzzes....

Also, on a second completely unrelated note, I fucking hate drawing necks.

Have I ever told you people that? Because I do.

I really fucking hate drawing necks.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    I think I would kill for a really sweet set of speakers for my computer. I'm not very fond of this cheap pair of Altec Lansings, with the sub woofer that constantly buzzes....

Then you should draw a bunch of necks.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    I live on the first floor of an apartment complex open to the street and the sidewalk, and I'd rather not have my new checks lying out in the street in a package that screams to passersby, "HI, I'M FROM A BANK! IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS ENCLOSED!" If it were a bulk delivery from Big Bob's Warehouse of Discount Scrap Metal or something I wouldn't care quite so much.

But I did put that slip out there today just in case, and I woke up early just in case and the guy just came as I was reading this so I finally got my checks. It's still pretty dang annoying when if they'd just sent through the dang post office I would have had them last week instead of having to be all stressed out about it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I live on the first floor of an apartment complex open to the street and the sidewalk, and I'd rather not have my new checks lying out in the street in a package that screams to passersby, "HI, I'M FROM A BANK! IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS ENCLOSED!" If it were a bulk delivery from Big Bob's Warehouse of Discount Scrap Metal or something I wouldn't care quite so much.

But I did put that slip out there today just in case, and I woke up early just in case and the guy just came as I was reading this so I finally got my checks. It's still pretty dang annoying when if they'd just sent through the dang post office I would have had them last week instead of having to be all stressed out about it.

I have no clue why UPS is such a bunch of fucktards, I mean, It's not like they don't have competition.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Then you should draw a bunch of necks.

Yeah...I know. I just...I really hate them, ya know? Drawing is such a chore for me these days, and forcing myself to sit and draw something I'm not adept at is just plain torture.

I've been in such a slump too. But whenever I can, or even if I have to force myself, I've been concentrating on specific anatomy. I spent the last three days just drawing eyes here and there. A couple weeks ago all I did was paint skulls.

Only I like drawing eyes and skulls. The shitty thing is that I never retain any of it.

I swear I must have some sort of visual comprehension deficiency though, because no matter how many times I draw a particular object, or what-have-you, I can never remember how it looks. Once I drew a single flower 100 times in a row. But I still had tremendous trouble remembering what it actually looked like, instead of what I thought it looked like.

Bah....

*searches for decent neck photo references*

EDIT: If anyone has some helpful references/links regarding necks, it'd be awfully fucking cool if you could post them.

EDIT 2: I still want to make a sticky worthy inspiration thread. Maybe tonight I'll work something up and ask a mod for approval.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is just one of the reasons why reading chat tread pays off.

So I was thinking, I'm doing this presentation for my French class and I might do it about some neat French painter. AND BOOM! There goes Bacon and post a link to Bouguereau on the first page I see.

Thankeys!

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well there's sure as shit a lot of information, and references to be had on Bouguereau. At the very least you won't run out of citations.

EDIT: Fuck. I wish I had taken French back when I was in school, instead of Latin. Cool as the Latin language is the class was a joke, and tantamount to a meeting place for students who just didn't give a fuck about grades, or the foreign language requirement. The teacher was knowledgeable, but she was green, and the rowdier students took control of the class after seeing her lack of discipline. Somehow it carried on for my four years of high school. I dropped out of it Senior year, because the whole class had become a farce. After more than three years of that class, I learned next to nothing from it.

I'm also half French Canadian, so I do wish I knew the language...

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have some friends that have had the same experience with French. Years of sitting in the classroom and nothing to show for it. Good learning atmosphere and motivation help quite a bit in these things. I think I could start learning a new language since I've got at least a year left in the Uni.

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    its funny, but every time I hear a language other than English, I get this strong urge to learn it. Except Spanish...I just don't like the Spanish language.

I never follow up on those urges though. I wish I did, but then again learning a whole new language isn't exactly a cake walk. I know some very, very limited, bits and pieces of Russian, Japanese, and Latin. Its so little that its probably not even worth saying that I know what I know.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aw, come on Buck, Spanish is rockin'. In fact since I started painting last night I haven't been able to stop listening to Spanish rap :P

lyrium on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    its funny, but every time I hear a language other than English, I get this strong urge to learn it. Except Spanish...I just don't like the Spanish language.

D:

Learning languages is fun... though horribly soul crushing at times.

Edit:
    Lyrium, what are you listening to? Regueton or spanish hip hop?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sorry, Lyrium and MT. The Spanish language is just very off putting to me. I get physically agitated when I here it spoken most of the time. I have no idea why either. I just don't like it.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    someone who still uses the Windows Classic theme in XP

:mrgreen:

Also MT, one of my friends from High school was Puerto Rican and introduced me to Reggaeton. It's pretty awesome but I feel lame listening to it because I don't know what they're saying :P

Veritas on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Reggaeton

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I remember how the latin couple living under me, in my first apartment, would blast shitty reggaeton constantly. It was a constant barrage of the same drum beat over and over and over and over....

Once, when I was sitting in my roommates room, we could hear them blasting it below us. Then it suddenly stopped. We heard them leave. A moment later we heard a car door shut, the engine start.....AND THE SAME FUCKING SONG ON THE CAR STEREO!

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Reggaeton's alright until you realize that the artists are a bunch of homophobic douchebags.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm clearly not a fan of the genre...

...or douchebags.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Buckwolfe you're okay in My Book.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Finally! The approval I've been seeking all this time!

EDIT: Lawl....I'm watching AMV Hell 4 for, like, the bazillionth time. Shit never gets old.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm bored. Help me pass the time...

The subject of music has been cropping up quite a bit lately. What genres we listen to. Artists we like. Recommendations and the like. But just for fun, and general curiosity does anyone have any guilty music pleasures?

Personally there's very little music I'd be the least bit ashamed to admit liking, but I've always had the mindset that I like what I like, and there's nothing wrong with that. Still I know there's some stuff I like listening to that might turn some heads.

What about you guys?

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    For shame...

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I listen to a lot of anime, and video game soundtracks/scores, but I've never once picked up KH. Its got one hell of a fanbase, but it never really interested me enough to give it a shot I guess.

To answer my own prompt, I'd say that if I'm mildly embarrassed of any of my music, it would probably be Cascada, Whitney Houston, and Imogen Heap. But I'd still fervently defend each one of them. Its only because they're so uncharacteristic for me.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hahaha! Buckwolfe likes Whitney Houston! :P

I like "Weird Al" Yankovic, but I can't say I'm embarrassed by that.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lets hear you belt out tunes like Whitney. Say what you will, but that bitch has an amazing voice. :D

Weird Al is as amazing, as he is irritating at times.

EDIT: While we're on the subject of music (fuck it. I know I'm the one who brought it up), I forgot just how much I enjoy this not so well known tune

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, Meteora by Linkin Park.

The lyrics are shit awful but the songs still sound good.
    I've become so nuuuuuuuuuuuumb!

Flay on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I remember when LP first surfaced out of obscurity. I used to be a huge fan. I tried to get the very few people I know to listen to them, but they wouldn't. And then, almost over night, their shit blew up in a big way. Suddenly everyone was listening to LP, and suggesting that I should listen to them.

This was way back when I was a retarded kid and thought that discovering something no one else had was the most badass thing ever. But like I said, I was a retard like all kids are at that age. I stopped listening to them in protest. Years later during my first year of college I noticed that a friend really dug them, and started listening to them again for a short time.

I'll admit that they were, and still are catchy as hell, but their music feels so....generic to me. It really doesn't do anything for me in the least, so I don't actually feel bad about abandoning them when I did, even if it was for stupid adolescent reasons.

That being said, I can still see why they have a strong fanbase. On the rare occasion one of their songs will suddenly pop into my head, in strange kind of "wtf" moment.

EDIT: Fuck it. I also kinda like that James Blunt song, "You're Beautiful" but for hilarious personal reasons.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have some 80's Madonna on my workout playlist.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    YES!! I can finally watch Moon!

I've been dying to see this fucking film for like six months! Glee!!

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have far too much rap in my iPod.

I dedicate this song to Buck! :P

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MagicToaster - I've wondered - Why you has no website? I can't remember the last time you made a thread or even the last time I saw your art (I mean there's your avatar which is your art right?)
    Won't you maek poast for us?

P.S. - I'm in love with your sig.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Actually, DMAC drew that for me for last year's Secret Santa.

I don't really draw that well, which is why you don't see my stuff here... I'm intimidated by Beavotron and Scolsogen. My day job is design, but it's all just work, not really worth posting.

Edit: I dunno, after I get out of work, I don't really wanna design any more. I've been like this for a while now... I should really snap out of it.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually, DMAC drew that for me for last year's Secret Santa.

I don't really draw that well, which is why you don't see my stuff here... I'm intimidated by Beavotron and Scolsogen. My day job is design, but it's all just work, not really worth posting.

it actually is worth posting
    you're one of the few designers on here who work professionally
    start posting you ass!

(this is called internet bullying)

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Beavo, you make me feel cool!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    you are cool!
    design cool

no seriously... humble asks design questions and i just go "ask magictoaster on the ac" he never does though on account of the shy disease.

beavotron on
This discussion has been closed.