As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The car thread: A Toyotathon of Death

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Where are the cup holders?

Where are they gonna hold cups?

My last car was a 94 Infiniti G20T. Such a great car....with one exception. No cup holders.

So it's the worst car ever, then, huh?

I was kinda surprised to find a 4 door low end "luxury" car that lacked them.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    I think this battle system is funk based.

You take turns based on your level of funk.

Actually I think it has something to do with battle points, like stronger attacks take more time to execute or something

You have to tear the roof off the bosses

You can also set the roof on fire

As long as the roof isn't water based that motherfucker will burn

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

My last car was a 94 Infiniti G20T. Such a great car....with one exception. No cup holders.

It's because in a lot of countries it used to be illegal to drink anything in a car.

My dad is a Jaguar mechanic and we used to live in England. Whenever he did a course for a new model they used a US car to teach them about it. The first time he saw cupholders he had no idea what they were and had to have someone explain it to him and his response was just "why would anyone drink in a car?" Admittedly he's old.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Backstop wrote: »
    Went to the car show in Cleveland this weekend. I'm pretty sure that once my Cavalier kicks the bucket I'll be getting a GTI or a Cooper S. Anyone prefer one over the other? The GTI looks like it has loads more room and a familiar console compared to MINI's looks-first deal. But the Cooper is cooler looking.

Camp Jeep was faked out this year, rather than bringing in dirt and logs they had a girder-mountain that looked like a car carrier and some platforms. It doesn't really show off your approach angle and breakover capacity when every obstacle is prefaced with ramps.

What the crap is the GMC Granite concept? "We Are Professional Grade" for job sites and such as... so here's a cute little wagon thing for the architect to drive?

Also, a funny thing about the booth babes. Ford had girls in shortsleeve sweaters, miniskirts, and knee boots. GM's ladies were wearing longsleeved jackets, turtlenecks, and long pants like Math teachers. Toyota and VW had office casual khakis and polo shirts.

... Chrysler/Dodge had ultra-high heels and very short one-shoulder slitted cocktail dresses. I never saw so many dudes raptly paying attention to the minivan display. A guy walked by and said "Can any of you guys tell me, what color is the van?"

Do you go the Cleveland show every year? I haven't been there in years but my friend tells me it's been in steady decline for quite some time. I guess BMW, Lincoln, and a few other luxury brands weren't even there.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so today my old toyota, a 97 avalon, was rear ended by another toyota, a 2009 suv thing. It completely totaled the back of my car somehow, even though we were at a stop light and all he did was accelerate from zero.

Also he was a off duty police officer who told me not to call the cops, so i did and he yelled at me until the cops came, and suddenly he was not an off duty police officer and i had misherd him. But yea, toyota on toyota rear ending.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hey so my girlfriend's little sister just got her car confiscated by her mom.

Her mom's boyfriend is gonna buy it off her and it'll be his,

Her mom cleaned the car and found

Fake IDs
    Alcohol bottles in the driver's footwell
    Roaches (I.E. marijuana cigarette butts) all over the floor
    a pack of about 20 condoms

The car has also been seen being driven by sister's friends on their own.

Apparently she threw a remote and tried to throw a chair at her mom.

So yeah, she's 18, she's out the door.

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Incidentally, one of the worst parts about nearly every current BMW.

XLHkVl.jpg

Can you spot the cupholder?
    Right here, this dinky little plastic thing that pulls out from just over the glove box and feels like it's about to break every time you use it:
    xzPrRl.jpg

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How the fuck am I gonna fit a biggulp in that

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    thats not surprising, they are in the luxury model right?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    and it only neatly holds a little cup of coffee, how appropriate

apparently the turn signals in a BMW must be a similarly robust mechanism, since no one seems to want to use them

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Subaru does the same thing with their cupholders. It's a little pop out thing above the stereo.

And Bacardi? That is some kind of fucked up. Good call on bringing in the cops.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    and it only neatly holds a little cup of coffee, how appropriate

but only if that cup of coffee costs more than $7

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Subaru does the same thing with their cupholders. It's a little pop out thing above the stereo.

And Bacardi? That is some kind of fucked up. Good call on bringing in the cops.

I thought it was shady enough to do so. When he hit me i think he was talking on the cell phone which is no longer legal here, but i had no proof.

But yea, damn if it isnt a strange way to try to get out of a police report.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If he was on the phone you can get the phone records if it comes to a lawsuit. That'll be a huge weapon for you.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    so today my old toyota, a 97 avalon, was rear ended by another toyota, a 2009 suv thing. It completely totaled the back of my car somehow, even though we were at a stop light and all he did was accelerate from zero.

Also he was a off duty police officer who told me not to call the cops, so i did and he yelled at me until the cops came, and suddenly he was not an off duty police officer and i had misherd him. But yea, toyota on toyota rear ending.

Have fun collecting from the insurance he probably doesn't have.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Butters wrote: »
    Backstop wrote: »
    Went to the car show in Cleveland this weekend.

Do you go the Cleveland show every year? I haven't been there in years but my friend tells me it's been in steady decline for quite some time. I guess BMW, Lincoln, and a few other luxury brands weren't even there.

No, I have not been since 2005 when the new Mustang model was the big draw. Lincoln was definitely there, I commented on the baleen-grilles to my Dad. BMW was only there as display from a dealer - MINI, and Smart were just one of each model sitting there with a small backdrop and a couple of reps, and there was maybe four BMWs, a 1, 3 and 5 class and an SUV. Same with Lotus/AMG, Jaguar, and Infiniti, small selections without big splashy displays.

They had enough leftover room to have indoor driving areas. There was a section where you could drive several Chevy models around a traffic-cone course, and the Jeep display was inside where you could take a ride in a Wrangler while a rep drove through an obstacle course. There were outdoor driving lots for Kia, as well as GMC/Buick SUVs.

Backstop on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    uh, unless you have photographic evidence that he was on the phone as he rear ended him that won't matter a damn.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Angry wrote: »
    uh, unless you have photographic evidence that he was on the phone as he rear ended him that won't matter a damn.

Not like he needs it. He was rear-ended. Unless his backup lights were on or he cut him off that's always the fault of the other driver.

Butters on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have an 05 MINI and really like it. It is one of the first gen, so it basically has a 1.6L tritec engine with a supercharger and get really bad mileage. Ok, not bad, but not what you would expect from a car that size. I didn't like the look of the 2nd gen MINIs too much, but it is starting to grow on me and the new motor is much better. More power standard and much better economy. They are also getting a facelift in the 2011 model which may make me like them even more. They aren't too bad when it comes to reliability, but they are BMW group, so if something breaks and you are out of warranty it will cost you.

I like the GTI but don't really have any experience with VAG. The closest I have is my sister having a diesel jetta she liked until she got electrical gremlins that the dealership couldn't fix. She ended up getting fed up and trading it in for something else.

Best bet is just test drive both and see what is most comfortable for you. Also if looking at a MINI, how close are you to a dealership? Because they are the only ones that can do warranty work and in Michigan there were only two dealerships in the whole state, which can really suck for you.

If you are in Ohio go to Classic MINI. It was where I got mine and their sales people are the best.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Not like he needs it. He was rear-ended. Unless his backup lights were on or he cut him off that's always the fault of the other driver.

If the guy who did the rear-ending was somewhat competent, he'd claim that the forum poster here slid back/was in reverse. That's how it works to CYA. I was in front of a car making a left hand turn, and the guy two cars back hit the guy behind me - if that makes any sense. So the guy 2 cars back got out and started yelling about how the guy in front hit reverse, or slid back like he was in a manual. The person who was rear-ended asked to borrow my cell phone to call the cops, and since I wasn't really a witness to the accident, I gave it to him and left.

So take note, everyone! If you rear end someone, it's not because of your incompetence or not paying attention! It's because the silly goose in front of you slammed his car in reverse and dropped the pedal!

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    is there an infraction category for being a worthless human being

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm pretty sure that impersonating a police officer is a rather serious offense.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

If the guy who did the rear-ending was somewhat competent, he'd claim that the forum poster here slid back/was in reverse. That's how it works to CYA. I was in front of a car making a left hand turn, and the guy two cars back hit the guy behind me - if that makes any sense. So the guy 2 cars back got out and started yelling about how the guy in front hit reverse, or slid back like he was in a manual. The person who was rear-ended asked to borrow my cell phone to call the cops, and since I wasn't really a witness to the accident, I gave it to him and left.

So take note, everyone! If you rear end someone, it's not because of your incompetence or not paying attention! It's because the silly goose in front of you slammed his car in reverse and dropped the pedal!

In most states, it's automatically the fault of the rear driver regardless.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yeah, for Canadian insurance

If it's a rear-end situation, the guy in back is always at fault

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maybe he lives in one of then "No-fault" states.

Rinder on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yesterday when I was dropping my girlfriend off at her job just as we were getting out of a car we heard a car at the top of the hill by the parking lot honking. Then a white VW Golf goes coasting down the hill and smashes into a tree near the base of the hill. Apparently the owner of the VW forgot to set his parking brake. He came running down the hill freaking out

I know one mistake that guy will never make again

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Oh good, another opportunity to say how fucking ugly that concept car is.

you're beyond a silly goose

way, way beyond

bongi on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Word is the Acura TSX SportWagon is going to be shown at the NYIAS. No word on the powertain.

My dad likes manuals and likes wagons, we have a 2.0T Passat now. Depending on the setup, the TSX could be next.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I skipped the Mini event yesterday, apparently lines were very long and all you got to drive for free was an automatic Mini with traction control they didn't let you turn off... for $20 you could drive a manual but lines were also long there, people waited 45 minutes for 1 run and didn't stick around for another one.. Runs were un-timed too.. Also apparently the clutch on the manual was totally fried by the afternoon.. lol. People said it handled really nice, but turbo lag sucked big time.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    lol

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Word is the Acura TSX SportWagon is going to be shown at the NYIAS. No word on the powertain.

My dad likes manuals and likes wagons, we have a 2.0T Passat now. Depending on the setup, the TSX could be next.

Wagon? What the fuck are they doing to the poor Integra?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Gafoto wrote: »

...que?

TSX

2011_honda_accord_f34_ns_1_815.jpg

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

...que?

TSX

2011_honda_accord_f34_ns_1_815.jpg

The TSX is the succesor to the four-door Integra. The RSX (was) the two-door Integra.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It looks really nice

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

...que?

TSX

2011_honda_accord_f34_ns_1_815.jpg[IMG][/img]

The TSX is the succesor to the four-door Integra. The RSX (was) the two-door Integra.

The TSX is the European/Japanese Accord.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That grill looks so much better than the shield the USDM models have.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

...que?

TSX

Are you calling the USDM Accord fat?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My new dream car

pontiac_gto_wagon.jpg

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

...que?

TSX

Are you calling the USDM Accord fat?
    It's gotten pretty damn huge.

Whatever, the new Sonata is the best car in that segment, and one of the more affordable to boot.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whatever, the new Sonata is the best car in that segment, and one of the more affordable to boot.

The Sonata still reminds me of a Mercedes. Early 00s models had those E-Class kind of round headlights and now it looks like a Mazda 6 got freaky with a CLS. I drove a Sonata around the PNW last year and was pretty impressed by it. Doesn't exactly get your pulse going but it's super comfy and practical. I hope they offer something other than an inline 4 with this new model.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
This discussion has been closed.