As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The car thread: A Toyotathon of Death

1565758596062»

• FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jgeis wrote: »
    I wish I was you, Epyon. Other than the insurance premium, that sucks.

I am totally considering finding the cash to buy this gem:

1972 Honda AZ600

Awwwwww yeaaaaaah.
    :D

honda-z600.jpg

Faricazy on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Further proof that I should find the money.

jgeis on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That car looks like it is hilarity and driving enjoyment incarnate

The Black Hunter on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's not really a Z600, though. As far as I know it's a custom tube frame. This is sitting next to the driver:

1503626896_6f48137f00.jpg

from

13828-2008-Suzuki-Hayabusa.jpg

Faricazy on
    edited March 2010
    I would have just shoved the engine under the hood. I mean, it can't be that small in there, can it?

Then again, it is a custom frame, so maybe they didn't design it to hold an engine up front. I'd take a real Z600 and put a Hayabusa engine in it.

jgeis on
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It has drag slicks.

on the front.

ZeroFill on
    edited March 2010
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    It has drag slicks.

on the front.

And the rear.

Double-slick.

Unrelated, does anyone have experience with the 90's Plymouth Duster? I can get one relatively cheap, but I don't know anything about their reliability. I've only heard that their performance is surprisingly good for what they are.

jgeis on
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    if it has the turbo and whatnot it can be a little surprising

however any forced induction car that old isn't going to be the most reliable thing you can buy. It's going to have some issues

ZeroFill on
    edited March 2010
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    if it has the turbo and whatnot it can be a little surprising

however any forced induction car that old isn't going to be the most reliable thing you can buy. It's going to have some issues

This is one of the later ones, with the 3.0L Mitsubishi V6.

jgeis on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited March 2010
    I am test driving a smart car tomorrow

I guess that's relevant to this thread

Whippy on
    edited March 2010
    how hipsterrrr

ZeroFill on
    edited March 2010
    I want basically the smallest possible car I can find that I still fit in

this fits the bill

Whippy on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

it really isn't

The Black Hunter on
    edited March 2010

it really isn't

well you are poop

(this is relevant to you being poop)

Whippy on
    edited March 2010
    son this is the largest automobile I could afford

ZeroFill on
    edited March 2010
    I've only heard terrible things about the smart car. They get worse mileage than a Geo Metro, they take 13 seconds to hit 60mph, and they require premium fuel, which negates some of the fuel economy savings. They also handle pretty terribly, or so I'm told.

jgeis on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want basically the smallest possible car I can find that I still fit in

this fits the bill

come on, at least get something you can carry a decent amount of groceries in.

What happens if you gotta go to costco?

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited March 2010
    I've only heard terrible things about the smart car. They get worse mileage than a Geo Metro, they take 13 seconds to hit 60mph, and they require premium fuel, which negates some of the fuel economy savings. They also handle pretty terribly, or so I'm told.

And the build quality, in my experience, is shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-

Get a mazda 2, or a polo, or or or something

The Black Hunter on
    edited March 2010

And the build quality, in my experience, is shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-

Get a mazda 2, or a polo, or or or something

And the doors open when you get hit on the side. That can't be safe.

I'd wait for the Mazda 2 if you absolutely have to have the smallest car you can fit in. Or hell, get a Mini Cooper. Those are at the very least fun to drive, and they have better everything but fuel economy than the smart.

jgeis on
    edited March 2010
    Mini coopers are pretty wide though, and expensive

and personally I dislike the look quite a bit

The Black Hunter on
    edited March 2010
    Well wider and more expensive than the smart, that's for sure. If his heart isn't set on brand new, he could get a good used Mini for the price of a new smart.

Do you like the way the smart fortwo looks more?

jgeis on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, they don't have the Polo in the US/Canada, and I believe the Mazda2 hasn't launched here yet either. But the point stands.

I've also heard terrible things about the Smart. Plus, they ugly.

Whipstich, man. You have choices, dude.

Yaris Hatchback? Honda Fit? Golf? Versa?

edit: I quite like the Mini Coopers. The big thing about them though is supposedly insurance + repair costs are a bitch. Apparently they're great to drive, though.

Recoil42 on
    edited March 2010
    You could go with the Honda Fit. The only bad thing I've heard about it is that it can be noisy at highway speeds, but otherwise pretty solid reviews.

jgeis on
  • Sgt EversmanSgt Eversman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I second the Honda fit. For similar gas mileage you can actually fit four people as well as stuff in the trunk.

Plus it's a Honda so it will last for-fucking-ever.

Honda Fit vs. Smart Fortwo

Sgt Eversman on
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome.
    edited March 2010
    So I got offered a 2000 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 2.5L V6, automatic 118,000 miles for my 1990 Camaro RS, 3.1L V6, 103,000 miles.

I've been trying to get rid of the Camaro for a long time now. I'm going to look at the Sonata on Sunday, but do I really want an '00 Sonata?

jgeis on
    edited March 2010
    engine swap the camaro

The Black Hunter on
    edited March 2010
    Engine swapping a V6 Camaro requires swapping the transmission because the V6 bellhouse pattern is different from the V8 pattern.

jgeis on
    edited March 2010
    then do that as well

The Black Hunter on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Smarts are horrible

get the new Aveo, they look pretty okay

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited March 2010
    And the rear end? Because it is currently one-wheel drive and drum brakes.

jgeis on
    edited March 2010
    haha wow

ZeroFill on
    edited March 2010
    Yep, the 3rd Gen Camaro with a V6 is pretty much the worst car ever. I could take Just having to swap the transmission, too, but the rear end is so shitty why bother? Then again, with a V8 swap and the stock rear end it would probably be a burnout machine, because of the lack of traction.

jgeis on
    edited March 2010
    Drum brakes are fine, my car has them on the rear and I have no trouble stopping

The Black Hunter on
    edited March 2010
    1 tire fire machine

ZeroFill on
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My new car:
    126.jpg

127.jpg

More to come tomorrow!

Hey how does that ice blue look in person? Like a silver that just happens to have a bluish tint, or does it look like a light blue metallic?

My Dad is all about having me repaint my (currently gray) Corvette in that color but man I don't want a light blue car, I'd rather have Silver metallic.

Backstop on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It is a bit of a girly colour. It definitely is more metallic light blue than silver with a blue tint.

Added: But it is very pretty if you want more blue than silver. Which you don't.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yep, the 3rd Gen Camaro with a V6 is pretty much the worst car ever. I could take Just having to swap the transmission, too, but the rear end is so shitty why bother? Then again, with a V8 swap and the stock rear end it would probably be a burnout machine, because of the lack of traction.

McQueens Mustang in Bullitt was a single-spinner with drum brakes. Still a cool car...

If you were going to swap out the engine and gearbox, wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and less time-consuming to just sell the V6 cheap and buy a V8?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited March 2010

McQueens Mustang in Bullitt was a single-spinner with drum brakes. Still a cool car...

If you were going to swap out the engine and gearbox, wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and less time-consuming to just sell the V6 cheap and buy a V8?

thats true in just about any case of swaps

but yes

ZeroFill on
This discussion has been closed.