As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need advice about wireless routers

Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so, a while back my Xbox Wireless adapter broke. I don't want to pay another 100 dollars for one and would rather just buy a linksys router or something and hook it up through that. So, I ask of you oh wise collective, what's the cheapest way to do that and how?

Gorilla Salad on

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Either I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, or you might be unclear in what you need. If you had a wireless adapter, you were connecting your xbox wirelessly, so don't you already have a wireless router?

You might want to explain in more detail exactly what you're trying to accomplish. If you have some kind of setup where you have a wireless router elsewhere, and you're planning to plug your xbox into another router to connect to the wireless network, you would need a router that can be used as a wireless repeater/access point/bridge (or one that supports dd-wrt). This seems excessive for the purposes of getting your 360 on the network.

But really, it seems like a full wireless router is kind of overkill for this. What you probably want is either a different USB wireless adapter (if the Xbox supports other versions, not sure about this) or an ethernet-wireless bridge or access point (something like this should work).

Daenris on
  • SnakeDoctorSnakeDoctor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would go with the tried and true Linksys WRT54g. Make sure it's flashable with some custom firmware like DD-WRT and you can basically turn it into a wireless adapter. The nice thing is you get tons more flexibility to use it as a router for LAN parties or whatnot.

SnakeDoctor on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    to clarify more, I had this thing. It broke, I need a cheaper solution to it. I was thinking about getting a wireless router but the access point sounds like what I really need, Daenris. thank you.

Gorilla Salad on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would go with the tried and true Linksys WRT54g. Make sure it's flashable with some custom firmware like DD-WRT and you can basically turn it into a wireless adapter.

No model of the WRT54G made in the last few years are a) any good, and b) suitable for most custom firmware.

I'd recommend the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 which will run any of the common firmwares without any issue (I use Tomato on mine), the Linksys WRT54GL is another option.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I bought this recently and have had good luck with it. I use it for a WAP, but it has 4 functions it can do, one of which is a wireless ethernet bridge, which is what you need. It should work with the 360. The great thing about it is that it's small, and it can be powered by either AC adapter or USB (it comes with both). It also has a neat carrying case.

Sir Carcass on