As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Age of Conan gets first expansion

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
Believe it or not, the sinking ship that is AoC is getting an expansion - not that anyone cares all that much, myself included.

http://www.riseofthegodslayer.com/

Some of the features advertised:
    Age of Conan's highly acclaimed real-time, action-packed combat gameplay is taken to new heights with incredible martial arts moves, ancient magic, and epic weaponry. Extend your character's powers through a new alternate advancement system that allows you to unlock a vast collection of new abilities that breathes new life into the revolutionary combat system!
  • Begin your adventure as a Khitan, an all-new character race, and experience a wide variety of new low-level content. Venture into the land of Khitai as you embark on new quests and acquire new rewards geared towards players fresh off the boat from Tortage
  • Pick your side! Join one of many warring factions of Khitai, complete assignments for them and slaughter their enemies to reap the exclusive rewards. As you gain influence in a faction you will earn ranks which in turn can be used to unlock incredible treasures. But watch your back, because the enemies of your friends will not hesitate to stab you in your back
  • Explore the lands of Khitai from the back of two new mounts - the Wolf and the Tiger. Starting out as defenseless pets, these creatures will follow by your side and can be grown into ferocious fighting companions through a series of unique quests. Ultimately you will be able to grow them into spectacular mounts that will carry you on your adventures!

Screens:
http://www.riseofthegodslayer.com/res/gallery/screens/Screen_8.jpg
http://www.riseofthegodslayer.com/res/gallery/screens/Screen_1.jpg
http://www.riseofthegodslayer.com/res/gallery/screens/Screen_4.jpg

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How'd that game do sales wise, anyway?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like "breathes new life into the revolutionary combat system". It's like it can't help admitting that it's not really revolutionary, but they gotta throw the buzzword in.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How'd that game do sales wise, anyway?

Incredibly well, actually.

Also, the game's improved by quite a bit. The only reason i'm not playing it now is because I don't have the time, and because that I want to try the new low level content once the expansion comes out.

Archonex on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That feature listing doesn't jump out at me with "Oh shit!" Not even the wolf mount, since WoW has that already.

Henroid on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    i think you should let people that are actually excited about the expansion to make the thread :P.

deadlydorito on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I bought this at a Circuit City liquidation for 4 dollars and I never opened the box.

Jasconius on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    That feature listing doesn't jump out at me with "Oh shit!" Not even the wolf mount, since WoW has that already.

Yeah, but in AoC you can use those mounts to rip heads off. My rhino is especially effective at gorging a group of dudes. My buddy's mammoth can charge into a group of guys and scatter them a good 20 paces! :)

Actually with the Wolf/Tiger mounts in this expansion you have to raise them from Pup/Kit and when they are old enough you can decide to make them either your mount or permanent combat pet.

I am looking forward to this expansion, though I stopped my subscription for now. Way to many AAA titles to deal with this Fall. I will more than likely pick up this expansion when it is released. AoC is, strangely, the only MMO in which I consistently have fun.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i think you should let people that are actually excited about the expansion to make the thread :P.

This forum has a very proud tradition of shitting on this game and Funcom whenever possible. :?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    I am looking forward to this expansion, though I stopped my subscription for now. Way to many AAA titles to deal with this Fall. I will more than likely pick up this expansion when it is released. AoC is, strangely, the only MMO in which I consistently have fun.

Funcom sent me out yet another "Come back and try AoC! Please!" email that, in addition to the standard 14 day re-trial, offered the expansion for free if I bought a full year subscription (at a discounted rate, though).

I was about to re-install the damn thing when the re-activation page asked me to pick a subscription offer and enter my credit card again.

And wouldn't let me indulge in this free trial without doing so.

So yeah, fuck that.

Lawndart on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

This forum has a very proud tradition of shitting on this game and Funcom whenever possible. :?

My guy is level 33. I'm tempted to go back, but I don't think AoC is big news these days. That's all.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember having some fun with this game, then quickly loosing interest.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Begin your adventure as a Khitan, an all-new character race, and experience a wide variety of new low-level content. Venture into the land of Khitai as you embark on new quests and acquire new rewards

Oh hey that sounds nice. New low level content, that's pretty
    geared towards players fresh off the boat from Tortage

FUCK YOUUUUUUU!!!!

Seriously, I'd imagine that one of the biggest reasons the game failed was because every race, every class had to drudge through the utter boredom that is Tortage.

reVerse on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    Begin your adventure as a Khitan, an all-new character race, and experience a wide variety of new low-level content. Venture into the land of Khitai as you embark on new quests and acquire new rewards

FUCK YOUUUUUUU!!!!

Seriously, I'd imagine that one of the biggest reasons the game failed was because every race, every class had to drudge through the utter boredom that is Tortage.

Actually I think that the starting are and Tortage was one of the biggest reasons the game got such positive reviews and very high initial sales. It's was the later stuff that so impacted their continued success.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I refuse to believe that seeing how I never got out of Tortage because it fucking sucked.

Also, I wanted to try a couple of different classes. Couldn't do it because fuck Tortage.

reVerse on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I heard this game had titties of the rude variety.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Adda wrote: »

FUCK YOUUUUUUU!!!!

Actually I think that the starting are and Tortage was one of the biggest reasons the game got such positive reviews and very high initial sales. It's was the later stuff that so impacted their continued success.

Pretty much

I got three characters to 20, none of the areas into which they were thrust were worthwhile

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • KillTrashKillTrash Gaming Fiend Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I refuse to believe that seeing how I never got out of Tortage because it fucking sucked.

Also, I wanted to try a couple of different classes. Couldn't do it because fuck Tortage.

Personally I think Tortage is the best starting area of any MMO I've played. But maybe that's just me.

KillTrash on
    -Malac
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    KillTrash wrote: »

Personally I think Tortage is the best starting area of any MMO I've played. But maybe that's just me.

I agree. The problem comes in with altitis though. For those who couldn't help but try out a few different characters rapid fire, it had to be tedious.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tortage is neat and the prettiest area in the entire game. But it feels nothing like an MMO experience to me at all. The story is 100% instanced without other players and everything is pretty cramped and gets repetitive extremely fast.

White sands was the only area with some room to move about in and even so it was extremely linear and filled with nothing really interesting.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never got out of Tortage in the game, though I had a blast with what I did play, I just ran out of time/money too soon. I will probably pick up the expansion if it means more content like Tortage right out of the box for my bear shaman, Necessities.

Does anyone on this forum know what the raid game is like in AoC? I've heard... not very stellar things, but raiders in new MMOs are almost always QQers.

Walt on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2009
    The game's quality dropped off big time after Tortage.

They got all those positive reviews because people only got to play Tortage during the beta/press events, so they never got to see what a piece of crap the rest of the game was.

Unknown User on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    The game's quality dropped off big time after Tortage.

They got all those positive reviews because people only got to play Tortage during the beta/press events, so they never got to see what a piece of crap the rest of the game was.
    I guess they realize most people quit after Tortage.

Walt on
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »

FUCK YOUUUUUUU!!!!

Pretty much

I got three characters to 20, none of the areas into which they were thrust were worthwhile

Yeah. What he said...

I wouldn't say that Tortage was the best starting area ever in the history of the universe, but once I got out of it, the game went steadily downhill. I think about checking it out again from time to time, but with LOTRO as my #1 and the occasional visit back to WoW, there just isn't time for a third MMO, especially one in which every character's combat mechanics is a clunkier version of LOTRO's wardens.

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wish Funcom the best for making my favorite MMO so far, Anarchy Online.

But this game is awful.

Bigity on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    when do you get to kill conan?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Right before the servers shut down forever.

Bigity on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The switch from Tortage to the "real game" was kind of jarring.

"Okay! You've vanquished the evil overlord, fought through the flaming streets of Tortage, rescued the captured girl, and saved us from tyranny! Are you ready to begin your real adventure?!"

"Oh boy, am I!"

"Okay! Come back to me in ten levels."

"Huh?"

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited November 2009
    Dac wrote: »

"Okay! You've vanquished the evil overlord, fought through the flaming streets of Tortage, rescued the captured girl, and saved us from tyranny! Are you ready to begin your real adventure?!"

"Oh boy, am I!"

"Okay! Kill 10 snakes and bring me their fangs."

"Huh?"

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Dac wrote: »

"Oh boy, am I!"

"Okay! Come back to me in ten levels."

"Huh?"

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    see the thing with this game is that i bought it because i thought it was going to have awesome pvp

but it didnt and doesnt so what im left with is a fairly grindy pve experience and the occassional oppurtunity to grief/get griefed.

it does have one of the best classes in any game ever

Herald of Xotli! (mine was named Heraldoflol)

yes that's right you breathe fire, use a 2 handed sword, have no armour, and TURN INTO PREDATOR.

thumbs up

also fatalities are awesome

a bear shaman could make you double over and then they'd rip your head off with their bear hands haha get it? anyways

it had potential but really just felt sorta.... lacking.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember playing through tortage in the beta/preview then I had an absolute blast in the PVP scenarios. I was so excited to play this. As soon as I hit the 'real world' in retail after level 20 the game fel flat on its face. I had the same experience in WAR at level 20. Aion was similar, but I expected it that time.

sim on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just remember being a high level melee character was total bullshit because you needed to pull off stupid long key combos to do a single move while casters just needed to mash a single button.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never got past level 25 but tempest of set was one of my favorite mmo classes ever

Not to mention I love conan

I wish this game hadn't been raped

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    I liked how fast and loose it played (like my ex! ba-dum-psh) and that min-maxing wasn't super important, you could run around and kill shit as long as you were paying any amount of attention, but the quests were uninspiring and the graphics took a real nosedive after Tortage. It's a shame, it had (or has) the potential. I hope the expansion isn't more of the same.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    On the sales question, I think the better one is "How are the subscriptions doing?"

Plenty of people bought it when it came out (myself included) and then...you know...played it.

Yeah.

Raynaga on
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember playing this with my brother when it first came out, it was pretty fun. Although that only lasted about a month (maybe two, its been awhile).

I will say that rolling as a barbarian was way too fun. My brother played some sort of magic class (cant remember which) so he would support me as I charged head first tearing everything up. Good times. Heres hoping it picks up a little, as I'm already a little tempted to at least start one of those trials and see what its like now, but with all the other games that have recently come out and are coming out, I probably wont.

EDIT: Ha ha wow, didn't realize this was posted quite a few days ago.

Lagnar on
  • TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sorta hate to bump this thread but read this on another forum and thought someone here might be interested:

Funcom announces a unique holiday offer for Age of Conan. Anyone who downloads, registers, and starts playing the trial before January 1st 2010 will be able to enjoy all of level one to twenty – the entire Island of Tortage experience – without ever having to upgrade to a full account or pay a subscription fee. This unique Unlimited Free Trial campaign is only available until January 1st as a special holiday offer to anyone who wishes to experience the savage world of Conan.

Unlimited free play up to lvl 20 for as many characters as you want for as long as you want: http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=210036

TalonSE on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Seems like Funcom is trying to once again pull the same scam they did when the game was new.

Hey kids! Come play AoC for free! See how awesome Tortage is and then want to give us money once you're through to see how awesome the rest of the game is!"

Only to find out that the rest of the game is nothing like Tortage.

Toxic Pickle on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sounds oddly familar...

215540446_DqNMC-L-2.jpg

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kind of a shame, looking at the screenshots made me remember that game had some cool character/monster/environment design.

Yougottawanna on