As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPod Touch cases; A Rope of Sand

SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint.Registered User regular
So for my birthday I got myself an awesome 64 GB iPod Touch (that I'm actually using to post this message) but I did not get a case for it. Considering how damn nice this thing is, I kinda want to protect ot with a case and preferably a screen protector. My problem arises in that any case I find in stores are either ugly as fuck or expensive as fuck. I'm wondering if you guys know of any sites where I can get a plain case/screen protector for cheap. I don't want anything fancy like an armband or anything that makes the iPod huge. I just want a clear plastic case that will prevent it from getting scratched all to hell in my pocket and won't cost me 40 fucking dollars.

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, but this seemed like the most appropriate place for it.

SirUltimos on

• Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You're looking for one of these: http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-102/iPod-Touch-Skin--dsh-/Detail

It's a clear protective coating that you apply to the entire surface of your device. Also available from here in more expensive, fancy packaging: http://www.zagg.com/

I've got a skin from bestskinsever applied to my Zune 120, and it's great. Shiny and doesn't scratch. A little bit of a fingerprint magnet, but that's not a big deal.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have one of these http://store.apple.com/us/product/TU162ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA4Mg&mco=MTM3NDk3MzI for my ipod touch. It looks great on the ipod and is very strong plastic. I got it because apple customer service reccomended it to me after problems with my first ipod. The guy in customer support told me that it could probably get run over by a car and end up ok.

About a month ago I was sitting with the ipod on my lap, I stood up and the ipod went to the ground. The whole 2 feet from my knee to the floor. My ipod now has a very large crack covering one corner of the ipod. The back of the ipod is still nice and shiny, but the case was absolutely worthless.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You're looking for one of these: http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-102/iPod-Touch-Skin--dsh-/Detail

It's a clear protective coating that you apply to the entire surface of your device. Also available from here in more expensive, fancy packaging: http://www.zagg.com/

I've got a skin from bestskinsever applied to my Zune 120, and it's great. Shiny and doesn't scratch. A little bit of a fingerprint magnet, but that's not a big deal.

I always recommend these as well. I've got one on my iPod, my DS, and both of my old phones, they've never failed me. After three years I replaced the skin on my iPod - it seriously looked brand new.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think that may be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks guys!

Is there a special way to get off all the fingerprints I've smudged all over it before I put them on?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you have any glasses cleaner, you can probably give it a quick spray and polish with a lint-free cloth. Don't worry about a little liquid; the skins need to be wet when you apply them and it doesn't hurt the device. Don't submerge it or anything, but a little water on the surface (with the ipod turned off) is fine.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

I have an InvisibleShield (the fancier packaging one) on my HTC Hero phone, and I concur, it's a great product. I have the full body one on my Hero, and it keeps the phone completely scratch free, It does get finger prints on it, but they wipe right off.

e: One nice thing about the InvisibleShield: If you are shaky at putting this kind of stuff on (I am), most large cities will have a mall with an InvisibleShield kiosk (check the Zagg site) where they will put it on for you. They charge an install fee usually, but it was worth ti for me. The guy who did mine has been putting them on for nearly a year he said, and it still took him 20 minutes. It would have taken me much longer. He also got it on there basically perfect. No bubbles, no gaps, no finger prints or oils under the skin, etc.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got my invisible shield on mostly prefect except for one tiny bubble that bothers me every day. There's a speck of dust in there holding it on, so there's no hope of squeezing it out. Even still, the application process it tons easier than any other protector and the results are great.

If you end up self-applying, go for screen only. The invisible shield backing is a nightmare to get on properly.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got my invisible shield on mostly prefect except for one tiny bubble that bothers me every day. There's a speck of dust in there holding it on, so there's no hope of squeezing it out. Even still, the application process it tons easier than any other protector and the results are great.

If you end up self-applying, go for screen only. The invisible shield backing is a nightmare to get on properly.

see, the thing is when it comes to the iPods, especially the touch, is that I'd actually rather protect the back then the screen. I had a first gen iPod touch, and put the invisible shield back on it, but didn't put it on the screen. After 2 years of use the screen doesnt' have a single scratch, where if I had left the back bare the chrome would have been all scratched to hell.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    I've got both the soft rubber case and the hard plastic case for my iPhone from www.monoprice.com for pretty much nothing and both are fucking rad. I would recommend trying their products out, barely costs anything and if you do t like em, sell em forvten bucks each and you should have no trouble getting rid of em.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I should've known monoprice would've had something. I think I found one that's exactly what I need. I'll try it out and if it doesn't work I'll get the clear skins from earlier. I don't trust myself to be able to put them on properly. And if the hard case doesn't work then I'm out an entire dollar. Big fucking deal.

Thanks guys!

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    It's pretty hard to be upset about a $1 case not being perfect. And honestly, I'm beyond prone to gadget lust and I still haven't felt any desire towards buying a more expensive case for my iPhone.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

damn I really wish I knew about this when I got my DS. I stupidly chose white and it has accumulated unremovable crust in various areas.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

see, the thing is when it comes to the iPods, especially the touch, is that I'd actually rather protect the back then the screen. I had a first gen iPod touch, and put the invisible shield back on it, but didn't put it on the screen. After 2 years of use the screen doesnt' have a single scratch, where if I had left the back bare the chrome would have been all scratched to hell.

Yup. Really, the only reason to use a screen "protector" is to cut down on glare from the screen's glossiness.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam